Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2019, 14:35   #6391
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Do these swap affect warranty? Especially now that VW are giving 7 years, I don't wish to tinker with it.
I was also wondering on the same (warranty) aspect; I think after-market stuff is always an issue with reference to the warranty. I was wondering if we get OEM rotor and brake pads from GTI which is essentially a Polo variant could be fitted without warranty implications. That would make a lot of sense even ifques the cost involved is more.

One more question on warranty to the veterans -do enabling audio feedback on lock-unlock, tear wipe, etc - stuff enabled via VCDS tools hamper warranty ? Does anyone have any first hand/credible info on this ? The service centre is always so negative about it - which would be due to added work for them also I have found after speaking to them that operating the VCDS seems to be a rare and elite skill in the VW workshops.
Rahul_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 15:04   #6392
BHPian

I am in the market to pick up a small automatic hatchback and had zeroed in on the Polo GT TSI.
Test drive was impressive so I went to the local Chandigarh dealership today to finalise.

What's strange is what followed.
Apparently the dealership is in no mood to give discounts on the GT. They offered a paltry discount of 10k as loyalty bonus because I had owned a Jetta till about 2 years ago.

In the current scenario where all manufacturers are posting negative growth, I am surprised that VW or its dealers are offering no discounts at all. I understand that the GT is in high demand (as per VW standards) but that's still no excuse to give no concessions on the price.

The GM and the sales rep told me to look at the Vento and that they can offer discounts on that. I told them that I want the GT so don't try and change that.

Suffice to say that I walked out of the dealership along with the cheque I had drawn out for the booking. My counter to them was worth 26K (told them I won't pay for logistics, 7K and extended warranty, 19K) more on top of the 10K. This is more than a fair deal, I think.

Anyone else here getting any discounts on the GT?
Old 22nd October 2019, 15:28   #6393
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Do share the costs of Brembo pads and Bosch rotors. Do these swap affect warranty? Especially now that VW are giving 7 years, I don't wish to tinker with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
You can just procure these items from Amazon.in, and they seem to be quite genuine as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
I was also wondering on the same (warranty) aspect; I think after-market stuff is always an issue with reference to the warranty. I was wondering if we get OEM rotor and brake pads from GTI which is essentially a Polo variant could be fitted without warranty implications. That would make a lot of sense even ifques the cost involved is more.
Anything other than OEM would have warranty related implications. A lot depends on your relationship with your service manager and the workshop.

Ideally, Brembo rotors and pads shouldn't void warranty, but you never know.

I've found from various reports and personal experience that Brembo rotors and pads just don't cut the mustard. They may provide marginal difference, but that's about it.

The GTI calipers and 288mm/310mm rotors would be ideal, but these have their own issues, such as front axle brake-bias (310mm) and the fact that warranty will be void.

Please avoid purchasing Brembo rotors from Amazon. There are a lot of fakes around at the moment, and it's pretty much guaranteed that the ones on Amazon are excellent replicas/fakes.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 22:31   #6394
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
enabling audio feedback on lock-unlock
Please don't do that one: it is very annoying for others! You get the lights-flash confirmation, and the click of mechanism is loud enough to be heard from a few metres away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
Apparently the dealership is in no mood to give discounts on the GT. ... ... ... I am surprised that VW or its dealers are offering no discounts at all.
Why offer discounts on something so easy to sell? There was another buyer waiting for your seat.

If somebody really wants the car, they have to settle for the fact that the advertised price is the price. Perhaps we should just be glad that something in the car market is doing well enough.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 22:48   #6395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

If somebody really wants the car, they have to settle for the fact that the advertised price is the price. Perhaps we should just be glad that something in the car market is doing well enough.
Well there are different approaches and strategies and it all depends on their appetite for success.

One can say that there is demand for my car and 1000 people are ready, I will produce only 800 so that the those 1000 will be even more eager and not dare to demand any 'discount'

On the other hand, one can also say that there are 1000 people wanting my car but I will produce 1200, through in some discount (even notionally) and expand the number of people wanting my car to 1200.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd October 2019 at 23:33. Reason: Minor spacing
Old 22nd October 2019, 22:54   #6396
BANNED

Quote:
I am in the market to pick up a small automatic hatchback and had zeroed in on the Polo GT TSI.
Test drive was impressive so I went to the local Chandigarh dealership today to finalise.

What's strange is what followed.
Apparently the dealership is in no mood to give discounts on the GT. They offered a paltry discount of 10k as loyalty bonus because I had owned a Jetta till about 2 years ago.

In the current scenario where all manufacturers are posting negative growth, I am surprised that VW or its dealers are offering no discounts at all. I understand that the GT is in high demand (as per VW standards) but that's still no excuse to give no concessions on the price.

The GM and the sales rep told me to look at the Vento and that they can offer discounts on that. I told them that I want the GT so don't try and change that.

Suffice to say that I walked out of the dealership along with the cheque I had drawn out for the booking. My counter to them was worth 26K (told them I won't pay for logistics, 7K and extended warranty, 19K) more on top of the 10K. This is more than a fair deal, I think.

Anyone else here getting any discounts on the GT?
My suggestion, look for a pre facelift one. They would be willing to give a good discount on that. Or wait till December or January for a good discount.

I bought a GT in feb (dec 2018 make) with a good 60K off. Another suggestion, check NCR dealers. Dealers in Punjab don't have much turnover of the GT and hence have limited stock.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd October 2019 at 23:34. Reason: Minor spacing
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2019, 23:03   #6397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I understand that the GT is in high demand (as per VW standards) but that's still no excuse to give no concessions on the price.
Isn't that exactly a reason to not give out discounts?

It's purely psychological - if the advertised OTR was 30k more and you felt you'd gotten a 30k discount, you'd be over the moon. Try a couple of other dealers and if the story is the same everywhere, don't worry about it, cut that cheque and enjoy the car.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 14:34   #6398
Distinguished - BHPian

If a discount is automatic, it will be costed into the pricing. You could say this is a traditional way of doing business here: a fruit is priced at 15rs, because the seller expects to get 10rs for it and knows the buyer will bargain. Wasted time and effort for a non-existent gain.

The buyer may feel some ego boost, but that is only because he doesn't think about why he had to bargain in the first place. Of course, a few buyers won't bother, which is extra profit to the seller. So the only person to gain from the whole bargaining/discount rigmarole is the sellers!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 14:36   #6399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Please don't do that one: it is very annoying for others! You get the lights-flash confirmation, and the click of mechanism is loud enough to be heard from a few metres away.
Sure. But but this was just an example of one of the many things one can do.
My exact question was does doing this or any other modification via VCDS have negative effect on the warranty ?
Old 23rd October 2019, 16:26   #6400
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok. And... I don't know. But if they are looking for a reason to decline a warranty claim, they might, I suppose, pick on this.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 16:30   #6401
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sure. But but this was just an example of one of the many things one can do.
My exact question was does doing this or any other modification via VCDS have negative effect on the warranty ?
Usually, the settings like number of lane change indications, horn while lock/unlock etc., will not be even noticed by the service centers or the VW server. These are just flag changes in the controllers and they are meant to be programmable. To my knowledge, VW does not maintain a copy of what settings your car came with and hence will not bother with these settings on any warranty claims.

They will be looking for hardware changes like headlights, HU, suspensions etc. for warranty claims. So, if you plan to do some simple settings with the controllers, no need to be worried.
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 23:25   #6402
BHPian

Hi GT fans. Got some good news to share with you all. Today I picked up a preowned GT TSI 2018 model done 14800kms from a friend. I remember asking you guys “will you buy a GT again”? and each and everyone gave a positive response. I shelved my plans to buy a new car that time as my commute was very less and uber was serving well. But in the back of my head to own a car was always there and two days ago a friend of mine offered me to buy his car as he is shifting overseas. I jumped on the offer and finalised a great deal with him. Today I bought the car home. I have named her Hellcat. GT can be as nimble as a cat and can be a hell of a car when driven enthusiastically, hence the name. God bless all.
rajamuneeb is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 13:09   #6403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan85 View Post
Yup, it was always the mechatronic failure that I kept seeing in forums and was taken by surprise when VW SA told me its the multi-clutch. This is the 4th DSG car we have owned - We had the Laura and 2 generations of Superbs but the DQ250 in them never gave us any problems with all of them doing over 80k KMs each.
Bro, gearbox is covered in manufacture's warranty right? Why do you have to pay for that? Or is it like you have run out of warranty period?

Above from all this, does the extended warranty covers the DSG gear box within the specified KM limit?

Last edited by aah78 : 1st November 2019 at 21:44. Reason: Spacing.
Old 24th October 2019, 13:52   #6404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by webblescott View Post
Bro, gearbox is covered in manufacture's warranty right? Why do you have to pay for that? Or is it like you have run out of warranty period?

Above from all this, does the extended warranty covers the DSG gear box within the specified KM limit?
He said "If he had to pay", which is, he didn't have to pay.

Last edited by aah78 : 1st November 2019 at 21:44. Reason: Quoted post fixed.
swissknife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 14:14   #6405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by webblescott View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
He said "If he had to pay", which is, he didn't have to pay.
Like swissknife said - I did not have to pay. Yes the extended warranty does cover the DSG. I further plan to take annual extension of warranty next year unless I end up changing cars before that.

Last edited by aah78 : 1st November 2019 at 21:44. Reason: Quoted post fixed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks