Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2019, 10:13   #6286
Team-BHP Support

Re: My TSI does not creep in D mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish84 View Post
My gym valet told me yesterday that I should get my car checked as it does not creep forward in D mode. This got me thinking and I realized this change in behavior since past 1 year or more. I clearly remember that GT creeps forward in D mode. But mine does not do that any longer. I don't recall when this changed.
This could be due to wear in clutch pack. In creep mode, I think the DSG engages the clutch with some slip. With wear in clutch plate, the slip may have increased so that the car does not creep. Try to get the DSG reset. That may solve the problem.

PS: Now that you brought up this topic, I have not noticed if the creep function works in my GT. Will check this next time I take out the car.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 15:58   #6287
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

I have noticed the below issues with my 4 month old car. It has hardly done a couple of thousand k's in city driving.
  1. During Dry and Low Speed steering in cemented parking lots one can hear a rubber band like creaking / twanging sound coming from possible the rack area or the tie rods. What is the problem here? Should I be worried. Tie-rods need to be tightened? Hope it's not the rack. No tell tale signs of a rack oil leak. Could it be an issue with the steering column?
  2. When driving on poor surfaces if the car rocks horizontally (side to side like a boat), creaks can be heard from the somewhere in the vicinity of the B-Pillars (both sides). Why? Is this just poor build quality? Is there anything that can be done to rectify this issue.
keith2524 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 16:05   #6288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith2524 View Post
I have noticed the below issues with my 4 month old car. It has hardly done a couple of thousand k's in city driving.

[*]When driving on poor surfaces if the car rocks horizontally (side to side like a boat), creaks can be heard from the somewhere in the vicinity of the B-Pillars (both sides). Why? Is this just poor build quality? Is there anything that can be done to rectify this issue.
The second issue is fairly common. Read this thread to rectify it. I can vouch for the approach used in this DIY, as I can now enjoy a rattle free ride day in, day out.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...r-rattles.html (DIY - VW Polo/Vento: Getting rid of Door Rattles)
GrandTourer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 14:21   #6289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
This could be due to wear in clutch pack. In creep mode, I think the DSG engages the clutch with some slip. With wear in clutch plate, the slip may have increased so that the car does not creep. Try to get the DSG reset. That may solve the problem.

PS: Now that you brought up this topic, I have not noticed if the creep function works in my GT. Will check this next time I take out the car.
While at this issue, I closely observed the car response and found a consistent issue. There is a noticeable jerk in the car from D1 to D2 shift. This is reproducible 100% of time. However, if I shift from 1st to 2nd gear in manual mode, there is absolutely zero jerk. This makes me believe that the clutch/gear hardware should be fine. No? Could it be completely a software issue? Hopefully, any big replacement would get covered in my 2+2 warranty ending on 31st Oct. Has anyone else faced/resolved D1->D2 jerk?
Old 14th September 2019, 17:51   #6290
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
While at this issue, I closely observed the car response and found a consistent issue. There is a noticeable jerk in the car from D1 to D2 shift. This is reproducible 100% of time. However, if I shift from 1st to 2nd gear in manual mode, there is absolutely zero jerk. This makes me believe that the clutch/gear hardware should be fine. No? Could it be completely a software issue? Hopefully, any big replacement would get covered in my 2+2 warranty ending on 31st Oct. Has anyone else faced/resolved D1->D2 jerk?
This looks like clutch wear. In D mode, the pressure on the clutch plates will be a little less to create the slip. This causes the jerk when shifting from D1 to D2. In manual mode, there is no clutch slip and the clutch plates will get full pressure to engage. That is why you don't feel the jerk.

If your car is under warranty, and if you are able to reproduce the issue consistently, I would suggest you to take it to the dealer and show the issue to them. If there is a problem with the clutch or the mechatronics, VW will definitely replace it under warranty. Or a DSG software update or a DSG reset could also solve the problem as the DSG may re-calibrate for the wear in clutch and the jerks will go away. The workshop guys will be able to decide on the right course of action.

There is no need to panic though. This is an usual symptom of normal clutch wear and this being a dry clutch gearbox, you notice these jerks.
graaja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 19:25   #6291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
This looks like clutch wear. In D mode, the pressure on the clutch plates will be a little less to create the slip. This causes the jerk when shifting from D1 to D2. In manual mode, there is no clutch slip and the clutch plates will get full pressure to engage. That is why you don't feel the jerk.

If your car is under warranty, and if you are able to reproduce the issue consistently, I would suggest you to take it to the dealer and show the issue to them. If there is a problem with the clutch or the mechatronics, VW will definitely replace it under warranty. Or a DSG software update or a DSG reset could also solve the problem as the DSG may re-calibrate for the wear in clutch and the jerks will go away. The workshop guys will be able to decide on the right course of action.

There is no need to panic though. This is an usual symptom of normal clutch wear and this being a dry clutch gearbox, you notice these jerks.
The D1->D2 jerk issue is 10 out of 10 times reproducible. Would they replace the gear box (clutch inside it as I understand) under warranty even if its wear and tear of clutch? Is it possible to open the gear box and replace only the clutches? Sounds like an involved process. Isn't 40,000 km too less for the clutch to wear out? The car is gently driven (almost half the mileage by my wife) and 95% of that in city.
Old 14th September 2019, 21:15   #6292
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The D1->D2 jerk issue is 10 out of 10 times reproducible. Would they replace the gear box (clutch inside it as I understand) under warranty even if its wear and tear of clutch? Is it possible to open the gear box and replace only the clutches? Sounds like an involved process. Isn't 40,000 km too less for the clutch to wear out? The car is gently driven (almost half the mileage by my wife) and 95% of that in city.
With 95% city driving, clutch wear is expected. The clutch life is a little low in DQ200 because it is dry clutch. I have seen many instances where it had to be changed around the 45K to 50K mileage. I think VW do replace the clutch under warranty. Visit them before the warranty expires.

And yes. It is possible to open the gearbox and replace only the clutch. VW technicians should be quite experienced with this. Don't worry much.
graaja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 10:29   #6293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
The second issue is fairly common. Read this thread to rectify it. I can vouch for the approach used in this DIY, as I can now enjoy a rattle free ride day in, day out.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...r-rattles.html (DIY - VW Polo/Vento: Getting rid of Door Rattles)
Thank you. It is just what I suspected - The rubber of the door seals rubbing against the metal. I will try the plastic pipe trick to bulk up the rubber beading seals. A lot of recommendations on that thread are in favor of using WD40. Just a note here to others, don’t do it. WD40 is an organic solvent that will deteriorate rubber and plastics in the long run. Did not post this there as the thread is over 5 years old.
keith2524 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 13:07   #6294
Distinguished - BHPian

If an old thread has wrong information in it, maybe it is a service to update it? Google, and thus, people, will still find the thread
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 13:49   #6295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith2524 View Post
Thank you. It is just what I suspected - The rubber of the door seals rubbing against the metal. I will try the plastic pipe trick to bulk up the rubber beading seals. A lot of recommendations on that thread are in favor of using WD40. Just a note here to others, don’t do it. WD40 is an organic solvent that will deteriorate rubber and plastics in the long run. Did not post this there as the thread is over 5 years old.
Also, just noticed that the rubber seals are made of “velvety” rubber which might be the culprit for rubbing against the smooth painted frame and causing creaking sounds. Here is a photo of the seal.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-dd7a59361be842c0992febc584c0baf3.jpeg  

Old 16th September 2019, 00:02   #6296
BHPian

T-Bhpians, I accidentally hit my Dad's Civic on a median while trying to take a U-turn causing a huge dent to the passenger side doors. Since then feeling a bit paranoid when driving my car in Bangalore. Are there are any aftermarket 360 degree/birds eye view camera fittings for the Polo GT TSi? Does the vehicle even support the functionality? Please advise.
nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 03:22   #6297
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
T-Bhpians, I accidentally hit my Dad's Civic on a median while trying to take a U-turn causing a huge dent to the passenger side doors. Since then feeling a bit paranoid when driving my car in Bangalore. ... ... ...
Don't be paranoid and look for cameras: be careful! Learning these lessons the hard way is painful, but effective. Believe me, you will be more careful about positioning your car, for a turn like that, in future. You will be more careful, and you will do a visual check.

You can believe me... because I learned that particular lesson the hard way too!

Having said that, there are lots of situations in which I would love to have a 360 camera.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 08:18   #6298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
T-Bhpians, I accidentally hit my Dad's Civic on a median while trying to take a U-turn causing a huge dent to the passenger side doors. Since then feeling a bit paranoid when driving my car in Bangalore. Are there are any aftermarket 360 degree/birds eye view camera fittings for the Polo GT TSi? Does the vehicle even support the functionality? Please advise.
First of all, if you do hit your Polo similarly, you can be guaranteed that the damage will be much lesser than what happened to the Honda City. The Polo has much thicker sheet metal.

As for the camera, I do not know about Polo specific units, but such 360 camera systems are available aftermarket. If you don't mind doing it DIY, you can order them online.

One example is here below, but there are many available in various price ranges.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-6016740411054427439.jpg

Rs. 5,270.15 11%OFF | 360 surround observation system 4 HD camera HD car DVR 2D parking assist360 driving recorder
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/DxVLpSRO

Or, visit a reputed accessories store and get it installed.
samaspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 12:11   #6299
BHPian

My polo gt lights visibility on high beam is pathetic. Planning to upgrade the lights.Any idea on what is the best set up to do without much retro fitting ? Any help is appreciated
Old 17th September 2019, 22:01   #6300
BANNED

http://www.vagtune.in/volkswagen/vw-...to-ameo-detail

Here is a 360 camera suitable for the Polo but this requires deep pockets.

Most Viewed