Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2019, 14:03   #6196
BHPian

Since my parent are looking for a "compact" secondary car for running local errands, after multiple sessions of discussions [read pleading] and also unending promises to pay (at least) half the amount, we decided to get a GT TSI. The decision was made a while ago and we finally booked one yesterday (12th Aug 2019) only to come back home and find articles on the spy shots that have surfaced with "imminent launch" written all over it.

Needless to say, I have a few concerns.
  • Is this the right time to get a Polo GT TSI?
  • Should i wait for the BSVI variant?
  • Will BSVI variant have a downsized engine?
  • How long will it take for the face-lifted cars to arrive? Would anyone be able to procure some reliable inside information?
And ultimately, should i cancel (or delay) my booking and wait (rather painfully) for the updated version of the car? Suggestions please.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th August 2019 at 14:03. Reason: Bumping up post after moving it.
Old 16th August 2019, 14:28   #6197
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrsooraj View Post
The decision was made a while ago and we finally booked one yesterday (12th Aug 2019) only to come back home and find articles on the spy shots that have surfaced with "imminent launch" written all over it.

Needless to say, I have a few concerns.
  • Is this the right time to get a Polo GT TSI?
  • Should i wait for the BSVI variant?
  • Will BSVI variant have a downsized engine?
  • How long will it take for the face-lifted cars to arrive? Would anyone be able to procure some reliable inside information?
And ultimately, should i cancel (or delay) my booking and wait (rather painfully) for the updated version of the car? Suggestions please.
You can request your service adviser to transfer the booking to the new car, if you really want the new car.

It's safe to say that the new engine will be better, I.e. more fuel efficient and better on the emissions front. The GT TSI should get a power bump too, so I'd expect it to be a touch quicker maybe? So, it is the better car.

But personally, I would buy the current car because there is no 3-cylinder engine in the world that can match the refinement of a classic 4-pot engine. For me, that is priority. However, for most people, the 3 cylinder TSI should be good enough, if not better!

One can expect deliveries of the new cars to commence sometime this year itself, if not early next year.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 14:43   #6198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrsooraj View Post
Since my parent are looking for a "compact" secondary car for running local errands, after multiple sessions of discussions [read pleading] and also unending promises to pay (at least) half the amount, we decided to get a GT TSI. The decision was made a while ago and we finally booked one yesterday (12th Aug 2019) only to come back home and find articles on the spy shots that have surfaced with "imminent launch" written all over it.
I'd go with the current one. Its a proven machine & man is it smooth, fast & fun to drive.

VW "facelifts" are nothing to take home about really most of the times. Just bumper changes and claddings. You don't see any of that when inside the car. Why pay more. Also BS6 will mean higher price again. If it comes with an "all new" engine - then a bit of an uncharted territory as it won't be an engine-gearbox yet proven in Indian conditions I suppose.

Stick to your current booking & take the car.

On a totally different line though - as a second car for your parents' city duties, why a GT TSI? Its fairly costly + higher than average when it comes to in-life maintenance. It also has that little devil behind the ear with the DSG gearbox. Unless you intend to use it yourself for spins often, why not get them a "simpler" car with more peace of mind and electronic features in the cabin? A 1.2 NA car will be easier to drive and maintain too.

Last edited by Reinhard : 16th August 2019 at 14:44.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 15:43   #6199
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I'd go with the current one. Its a proven machine & man is it smooth, fast & fun to drive. ... ... ... Stick to your current booking & take the car.
But this reservation: new model may mean old-model discounts. It won't feel so good to have paid the full price if that happens.

I agree with your other doubts. Unless the parents want to drive an exciting car (nb: I'm nearly 70 and I wouldn't say no ) this might not be the appropriate model.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2019, 18:11   #6200
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a totally different line though - as a second car for your parents' city duties, why a GT TSI? Its fairly costly + higher than average when it comes to in-life maintenance. It also has that little devil behind the ear with the DSG gearbox. Unless you intend to use it yourself for spins often, why not get them a "simpler" car with more peace of mind and electronic features in the cabin? A 1.2 NA car will be easier to drive and maintain too.
I second that. There are easier cars (and with more space) than the GT TSI. The DSG is a bonus but in slow city traffic it is no fun rather shows its limitations, unless they already are used to a DSG!
Old 21st August 2019, 18:24   #6201
BHPian

Hello guys, I took delivery of my GT just now.

Just a quick question, when I insert the key, the car makes a hissing sound for a few seconds. Is that normal?

Thanks in advance!
Old 21st August 2019, 18:50   #6202
BHPian

Is it hissing or humming, a humming sound is absolutely normal as the fuel pump runs to prime the fuel common rail. It's a part of pre-start preparation of the engine control system.

Cheers

Last edited by Brumby : 21st August 2019 at 18:53.
Brumby is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 21:02   #6203
BHPian

Everyone standing outside notice that my car engine noise is very loud. It is indeed loud compared to the Maruti and Hyundais. Is that the turbocharger noise? On inside of course it’s very quiet except when the AC compressor is working hard.
Old 21st August 2019, 23:04   #6204
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS8939 View Post
Just a quick question, when I insert the key, the car makes a hissing sound for a few seconds. Is that normal?
Not on inserting, but when you turn to the on/ ignition mode, but before you actually start. This happens in all cars, at least all I have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Everyone standing outside notice that my car engine noise is very loud. It is indeed loud compared to the Maruti and Hyundais.
It is loud clearly, but overall not noticeable! Its still very silent outside. Often what goes wrong is in P mode the car is resting on the gearbox pin and it can cause vibrations.

Its not the turbo, its the valves that are louder than current gen Marutis, but its still silent to often not know that car is on from the outside. (I'm at 65k kms)
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 23:38   #6205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS8939 View Post
Hello guys, I took delivery of my GT just now.

Thanks in advance!
When you turn the key on, the fuel pump operates for a few seconds to maintain a positive pressure upstream of the injector. The sound you hear is because of that.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 11:16   #6206

Hey guys, i'm looking to buy a volkswagen polo engine (P). Any help will be greatly appreciated. Is there a marketplace in the forum?
Old 23rd August 2019, 13:34   #6207
BHPian

I have a March 2016 POLO TSI thats done about 30K KMs - primarily driven in city with a one off highway trip. Over the past couple of months the sound of the AC has gone up tremendously. The cooling is still as it was but its become way too loud when you stand outside with the AC running - at-least much louder than I remember it to be.

Anybody else faced the same ?
Old 23rd August 2019, 13:50   #6208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan85 View Post
I have a March 2016 POLO TSI thats done about 30K KMs - primarily driven in city with a one off highway trip. Over the past couple of months the sound of the AC has gone up tremendously. The cooling is still as it was but its become way too loud when you stand outside with the AC running - at-least much louder than I remember it to be.

Anybody else faced the same ?
What sort of a sound are you hearing? Compressor? Or like a turbine whining full speed? Then its the cooling fan that is working over-time. In the current persistent hot weather, that is expected if the car runs mainly in city conditions.

Due to lack of fast driving (highway), the radiators don't get cool airflow & need forced cooling induced by the fan. These fans are often quite noisy at speed.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd August 2019 at 13:51. Reason: Minor spacing
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 13:55   #6209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMan47 View Post
Hey guys, i'm looking to buy a volkswagen polo engine (P). Any help will be greatly appreciated. Is there a marketplace in the forum?
Yes, please browse the classifieds on Team BHP.

https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/

Besides these, you can search for a Polo in your city on Cardekho and cars24 websites.

Prefer a car from an individual (instead of a dealer). See if the entire service history of the car is available.

There is a separate thread on how to buy a used car.
https://www.team-bhp.com/advice/how-...ed-car-india-0

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 23rd August 2019 at 13:57.
Old 23rd August 2019, 14:04   #6210
BHPian

Quote:
What sort of a sound are you hearing? Compressor? Or like a turbine whining full speed? Then its the cooling fan that is working over-time. In the current persistent hot weather, that is expected if the car runs mainly in city conditions.
Yup, its the cooling fan- that I am sure off.
But the sound has increased over the past few months thats what my worry is. It never made so much noise, can't seem to figure out why the change all of a sudden.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks