Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2019, 14:08   #6211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan85 View Post
Yup, its the cooling fan- that I am sure off.
But the sound has increased over the past few months thats what my worry is. It never made so much noise, can't seem to figure out why the change all of a sudden.
So it used to run the same amount in the past but just got noisier now? Or it runs faster now and so the noise? Do check that also.

If it runs at pretty much the same RPM & yet noisier - its bearings have lived their better days. You'll need to get it replaced in that case.

As a try before replacement, get it cleaned from inside using a pressure-air hose. Ask the internal cleaning guys at car wash to go that extra mile for once. It might be noisy due to too much dust accumulating internally around the motor also.

All of this is assuming its for the AC fan. It might well be the engine radiator fan. Check the engine coolant level also. If its too low - the radiator will heat up more & fan will try harder to cool it in that case.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 14:58   #6212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Everyone standing outside notice that my car engine noise is very loud. It is indeed loud compared to the Maruti and Hyundais. Is that the turbocharger noise? On inside of course it’s very quiet except when the AC compressor is working hard.
I had read somewhere that direct injection engines are usually louder, because of the ticking noise caused by the high pressure injectors, as compared to port injection engines. But that's not always the case.

Although the 1.8 TSI on the Octavia is also direct injection, it isn't as loud as the 1.2 TSI. Worth noting that the Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K does not come with the engine bay insulation under the bonnet, but the GT TSI 1.2 does.
veyron999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 18:20   #6213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan85 View Post
I have a March 2016 POLO TSI thats done about 30K KMs - primarily driven in city with a one off highway trip. Over the past couple of months the sound of the AC has gone up tremendously. The cooling is still as it was but its become way too loud when you stand outside with the AC running - at-least much louder than I remember it to be.

Anybody else faced the same ?
Most likely the bearing on the fan (located behind the radiator) for your AC evaporator is shot. I have had one replaced on a different make and model car overseas. It is not an expensive repair.
Old 25th August 2019, 17:14   #6214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post
Is it hissing or humming, a humming sound is absolutely normal as the fuel pump runs to prime the fuel common rail. It's a part of pre-start preparation of the engine control system.

Cheers
Exactly what my question was. Thank you for answering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Not on inserting, but when you turn to the on/ ignition mode, but before you actually start. This happens in all cars, at least all I have!
I drove a Verna prior to this, never heard anything before start up till now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
When you turn the key on, the fuel pump operates for a few seconds to maintain a positive pressure upstream of the injector. The sound you hear is because of that.
Understood, thank you! I wonder how this bit of information got by me all these years.

Quick update, car has done about 180 kms till now. I absolutely love how smooth and refined it is, especially when compared to the Verna. The suspension too is streets ahead. One problem I have noticed however, is that the shift from D3 to D2 is noticable. I don't know if this is the infamous 'jerk issue' I've read about. Any input on that would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 25th August 2019, 20:01   #6215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS8939 View Post
Quick update, car has done about 180 kms till now. I absolutely love how smooth and refined it is, especially when compared to the Verna. The suspension too is streets ahead. One problem I have noticed however, is that the shift from D3 to D2 is noticable. I don't know if this is the infamous 'jerk issue' I've read about. Any input on that would be appreciated.
You may not have the latest DSG software for some reason. Get it updated when you visit the SC for your first check up. Not to say that it’ll go away totally, but it’ll be less noticeable for sure.
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 15:38   #6216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
You may not have the latest DSG software for some reason. Get it updated when you visit the SC for your first check up. Not to say that it’ll go away totally, but it’ll be less noticeable for sure.
Understood, I'll get it checked.

Is there anyway to reset the DSG? The car was driven by VW's driver between the RTO, stock yard and showroom. Perhaps it has adapted to his driving style?

Thanks!
Old 26th August 2019, 16:13   #6217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS8939 View Post
Understood, I'll get it checked.

Is there anyway to reset the DSG? The car was driven by VW's driver between the RTO, stock yard and showroom. Perhaps it has adapted to his driving style?

Thanks!
Careful! You're wandering into debatable territory.
Reason: Apparently, the DSG is not adaptive. However, the experience of several people seems to suggest otherwise.

Anyhow, two things, if it is adaptive, it'll adapt constantly; so there is no reason to worry about the DSG not knowing your style. Second, when the DSG software was updated on my car, the Master Technician at the workshop told me to take the scenic route home. I didn't specifically ask why, but figured it was for the adaptation.
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 17:08   #6218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Careful! You're wandering into debatable territory.
Reason: Apparently, the DSG is not adaptive. However, the experience of several people seems to suggest otherwise.
Maybe it is the people who are adaptive?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 17:12   #6219

Sometimes I baby my car on the highway getting over 17kmpl on the dash; and sometimes I rev the nuts off it. If it really is adaptive, I think my Jekyll and Hyde driving style is going to drive the DSG crazy! ��
Akiv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 17:54   #6220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

But I've often noticed the transmission behaving differently after a spirited drive or sometimes being a little slow to react if I've been driving sedately for a while. Keeping in mind that the engine temperature and outside temperature were sometimes the same/similar and sometimes not.
Old 26th August 2019, 22:22   #6221
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... ... But I've often noticed the transmission behaving differently after a spirited drive or sometimes being a little slow to react if I've been driving sedately for a while...
Don't all cars do that? When my car has had a few hours on a highway it feels as good as just serviced. Even a more-spirited-than-usual city drive loosens things up.

(And I've spent decades wondering if cars really do go better on a full tank of fuel, or if it some sort of placebo effect that I'm getting!)
Old 27th August 2019, 11:00   #6222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The over enthusiastic D3-D2-D1 was driving me nuts. Coming from a super smooth Ford Figo DCT, I started doubting my decision to get the GT TSI. Complained to the service advisor. He sent a workshop mechanic with me. He was unable to replicate the issue. I find it hard to understand why it did not go down to D1 even at crawling speeds while he was at the wheel. With me the car is very eager to kickdown to D1 with a jerk. Went back home thinking I might be the jerk here and need to learn better throttle modulation techniques. After some practice I am now able to avoid harsh down shift jerks and if not then at least able to predict when the car will jerk. The trick is never to let go off the accelerator fully when you need to slow down. Just I magine that you car is a slow learner. Let it take a few seconds to realize you just want to coast. Only then ease off the accelerator. One can even try the 30 second reset trick mentioned in the DSG thread. It works for sometime and then it’s back to normal. Learning to live with my retarded jerk GT. Will go back during first service and chew the service advisors ear off for a software upgrade.

With higher displacement conventional TC autos (I drove a 5.7 liter V8 most part of 11 years) one does not use the acc pedal to get moving in traffic or even to crawl around 10-20kmph. Mostly the foot is on the brake ready to slow down or stop the car. Release the brake and off you go. Foot still lingers above the brake pedal. Although the smaller Figo had a DCT, it too behaved in a similar fashion, like a TC. With the GT, my foot is mostly on accelerator even at crawling speeds. I guess this is a good thing to prevent clutch wear on DSG.
keith2524 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 14:54   #6223

Autocar India has posted a seemingly definite article on the new Polo and Vento - Launching on September 4th.
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...ember-4-413914

Last edited by Akiv : 27th August 2019 at 14:58. Reason: Wrong date
Old 27th August 2019, 15:13   #6224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiv View Post
Autocar India has posted a seemingly definite article on the new Polo and Vento - Launching on September 4th.
Thank you Akiv for sharing this update here.

I am all the more thrilled that I took the plunge and bought myself a "Pre-4564-facelift" Polo GT TDI, and the reasons:
  • That GTI like fascia is a joke which still houses that medieval reflector type headlights. Only a retard would really appreciate this update.
  • Tail lights are a nice add-on. The irony here is that Polo has been around for so long, that some of the road side after market accessory folks have way better tail light options now.
  • Seat belt reminder is already there in my car and it also works for co-passenger seat.
  • The biggest gain (IMO) is the absence of the speed (>80 km/hr & >120 km/hr) alarm in my car. With this inclusion, the new GT owners will hate that premium amount they pay over the regular Polo all the more.
Old 27th August 2019, 16:56   #6225
BHPian

SO guys,

I have an update. This is what happened to my Polo GT. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4620942 (Help! Car submerged in flood)

I am unable to find another car and thinking of buying the GT again. This time in Lapiz Blue. Colour looks beautiful.

I am getting the car for 11 lakh on-road with 6 year warranty and arm-rest thrown in.

Good deal? I really need suggestions and perspective.

Also, the fact that face-lift is coming next week which is just redone bumpers. Price is likely to go up by 20-30k.

HELP!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks