Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2019, 14:34   #6331
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Vento TSi Highline with better discounts would come dangerously close to Polo GT TSi.

I am inclined towards GT as I do not need a big boot and the 100KGs weight difference is noticeable in performance of both the cars.

Maybe, I will try negotiating in Jan 2020 for a 2019 model for better discounts.
Old 30th September 2019, 14:53   #6332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Vento TSi Highline with better discounts would come dangerously close to Polo GT TSi.

I am inclined towards GT as I do not need a big boot and the 100KGs weight difference is noticeable in performance of both the cars.

Maybe, I will try negotiating in Jan 2020 for a 2019 model for better discounts.
No discounts on Vento TSI either. With even a lac rupees discount (if there's a discount that is), the Vento TSI Highline plus would still be relatively expensive over the GT TSI. Also, if you're thinking of the GT, in 2020, the max you'll anyways get is 40k.

Last edited by Varun_HexaGuy : 30th September 2019 at 14:54.
Varun_HexaGuy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 21:11   #6333
BHPian

A quick summary on the infamous A pillar creaks. Bhpians have found the solution, but I thought it might be helpful to compile it in a single comment.

To start with, the solution has come from d_iman. His method involves running a thin pipe on the weather strip on all 4 doors. The cars have an open strip which creates the noise.

The original link for purchasing the tube no longer works. Nova9 has provided an alternate link from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0183OA1E4/..._NQJKDb15TE3F7

TheLizardKing has bought the tube from here and has confirmed that it works.

keith2524 has suggested NOT using WD40 as the rubber and plastics may deteriorate in the long run.

Finally, I've followed the above steps and can say that noise has gone away almost completely.

What remains now, is that metallic clang that comes from somewhere behind when driving on rough surfaces. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 30th September 2019 at 23:06. Reason: Link fixed on request.
SS8939 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 17:15   #6334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
I am a 2015 VW Jetta DSG owner, now my partner is looking for a small but safe automatic car for use within the city. VW Polo TSI is the obvious choice which comes to mind.
I am going through a similar dilemma - whether to buy a new TSI at close to 11.5 on the road or buy a pre-owned around 5 lacs. If you are mentally ready to set apart another 1.2 lacs for the DSG related issues since car is outside warranty, then it makes sense to buy a pre-owner car. Your effective cost is 6 lacs which is still not bad for the best AT hatchback available. Most people buy the GT TSI only for the engine and DSG, and most of us are well aware that the car falls short of most other comparable vehicles in the 11-12 lacs budget on so many other categories / features. It's the absolute driving pleasure that tilts the buying decision - so if we can get it at 50% or even 60% of the original cost, why not?

Last edited by ampere : 2nd October 2019 at 17:20.
contentedbloke is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 15:37   #6335
BHPian

This might be too early to ask; but do we have any DSG/Multi-clutch issues reported for post 2015 MY GT TSIs (MY 2016 - present) ? Just trying to understand if VW has really improved the technology over the years.
Old 4th October 2019, 15:53   #6336
BHPian

I want these new design elements on my MY2019 (Manuf. month May) car, in the order of preference posted below. Where and how can I get them?
Attached Images

keith2524 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 16:08   #6337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopetrol View Post
This might be too early to ask; but do we have any DSG/Multi-clutch issues reported for post 2015 MY GT TSIs (MY 2016 - present) ? Just trying to understand if VW has really improved the technology over the years.
This is what the VW sales advisor claim as well. Not sure how true is the claim.
Old 5th October 2019, 11:26   #6338
BHPian

Quote:
This might be too early to ask; but do we have any DSG/Multi-clutch issues reported for post 2015 MY GT TSIs (MY 2016 - present) ?
Yup, I have a 2016 March registered car and I got the updated version at the time. My multi clutch was replaced last year in June when the car had done about 20,000 KMs - under warranty of-course. Reproducing the issue was the biggest problem as it would start making a shrill sound on D1 and D2 only when it was very hot and the car had run a few KMs. Ended up making a video which had the sound which was then shared with VW for warranty approvals - all in all took about a week to get my car back.
karan85 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 19:13   #6339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan85 View Post
Yup, I have a 2016 March registered car and I got the updated version at the time. My multi clutch was replaced last year in June when the car had done about 20,000 KMs - under warranty of-course. Reproducing the issue was the biggest problem as it would start making a shrill sound on D1 and D2 only when it was very hot and the car had run a few KMs. Ended up making a video which had the sound which was then shared with VW for warranty approvals - all in all took about a week to get my car back.
I have gone through a similar experience. Need some advise. Mechatronic replaced couple of months back. The car has beeen driving like a dream since then until this afternoon when it started making a shrill sound on D1 and D2. I have made a video on the same too.

What was the workshop’s solution to this problem? And why did this problem occur?

I will leave the car at the workshop tomorrow. Your suggestions will be helpful.Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 23:46   #6340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
What was the workshop’s solution to this problem? And why did this problem occur?
I will leave the car at the workshop tomorrow. Your suggestions will be helpful.Thanks
Solution was that they replaced the multi clutch system. They said that it was because the clutch started slipping and subsequently made the sound - probably it got worse at higher ambient temperatures. Frontier Gurgaon also introduced me to one of their technicians who was a "DSG Expert" who in-turn did nothing but waste my time trying to prove there is no problem with the car. But when someone senior heard the noise it made on the video he promptly confirmed it was the multi-clutch and it would require a replacement.

The issue they said was more common in cars that run more in bumper to bumper type of traffic. Frankly my car's 90% running in the first two years was bumper to bumper
karan85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 12:01   #6341
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by karan85 View Post
The issue they said was more common in cars that run more in bumper to bumper type of traffic. Frankly my car's 90% running in the first two years was bumper to bumper
Sorry if you've already answered this before, but in traffic did you switch to manual mode OR did you leave it in 'D' ?
In 'D', and even 'S', the transmission shifts up to D2 and stays there even at low speeds causing a lot of slip in crawling traffic.
Whenever I'm in a traffic situation, I usually shift to manual mode, and keep it in 1st as long as necessary.

As per my understanding though, the multi-clutch issue tends more towards being a wear, and tear than a reliability issue. And in your case, driving in Gurgaon traffic all week must have caused premature wear at 20k kms.

The older gen cars faced more of a mechatronics failure, which was different.
Correct me if I'm wrong here.
Old 7th October 2019, 13:04   #6342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron999 View Post
Sorry if you've already answered this before, but in traffic did you switch to manual mode OR did you leave it in 'D' ?

The older gen cars faced more of a mechatronics failure, which was different.
Correct me if I'm wrong here.
In traffic I have always stayed in D. S & Manual are only engaged for spirited driving. Frankly I bought the auto because I wanted the gear box to do all the working while I was in traffic
& moving to manual is something I really don't want to be doing while crawling in bumper to bumper. Also, what you mention about "staying in D2" is true when the car is moving. But when its stop and go traffic it will come down D1. Also D1 is a very short gear hence it quickly moves to D2 from what I feel.

Yup, it was always the mechatronic failure that I kept seeing in forums and was taken by surprise when VW SA told me its the multi-clutch. This is the 4th DSG car we have owned - We had the Laura and 2 generations of Superbs but the DQ250 in them never gave us any problems with all of them doing over 80k KMs each.

DQ200's Multi-clutch giving these type of problems at 20K KMs is just not acceptable in my opinion even though I wasn't charged for replacement it was a little but of an irritant being without a car for a week. Also the replacement cost was about 1.1 lakh which if I had to pay would have been massively painful.
Old 7th October 2019, 13:05   #6343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron999 View Post
In 'D', and even 'S', the transmission shifts up to D2 and stays there even at low speeds causing a lot of slip in crawling traffic.
Whenever I'm in a traffic situation, I usually shift to manual mode, and keep it in 1st as long as necessary.
Appreciate if you can elaborate a bit more on this logic? If D mode is slipping the clutch in D2 and in M mode you are slipping the other clutch in M1, is it not the same wear and tear, but with a different clutch set?
Old 7th October 2019, 13:59   #6344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith2524 View Post
Appreciate if you can elaborate a bit more on this logic? If D mode is slipping the clutch in D2 and in M mode you are slipping the other clutch in M1, is it not the same wear and tear, but with a different clutch set?
I think what veyron999 meant was that when you are in stop-go traffic and in D the gear box keeps switching between D1-D2-D1-D2.. since its very eager to move to D2 from D1 and goes back to D1 as you stop because of the traffic.
With every change in gear the clutch is used. So if you keep it in manual it stays in M1 and doesn't switch to the 2nd gear unless it goes to the redline. Hence the D1-D2 switches are reduced and further clutch is used less frequently. The gear box is very aggressive to move to D2 but IMHO keeping it in manual in traffic defeats the purpose of having an auto, at least for me.
karan85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2019, 14:11   #6345
BHPian

In thick traffic / stop-and-go traffic, I find the "S" mode to be better since it does not shift up till 3k RPM as against 2K in "D". This reduces the number of up / down shifts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks