Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2019, 18:42   #6271
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
Can you please tell what exactly was the problem with steering. My GT TSI's steering feels extremely hard sometimes. I keep checking tyres for a puncture every time i find the steering hard.
How old is the car and how many kilometers has it covered?

At 27k on the odo, I'd found that my car's link rods and steering ball joints needed replacement. Plus, the Continental MC5 I was running at the time had gotten pretty hard. These factors contribute to a hard steering. Sometimes even the wrong tyre pressure could be the cause.

Post repair / replacement, the car feels brand new and the heaviness / tightness from the steering has disappeared entirely!
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 19:11   #6272
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please tell what exactly was the problem with steering. My GT TSI's steering feels extremely hard sometimes. I keep checking tyres for a puncture every time i find the steering hard.
Hi sagpatel. The issue I was facing was a tak tak sound coming from the steering column while normal driving. It had run around 9k kms. The steering was not hard and the car was running stock tyres.
vickster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 21:02   #6273
Distinguished - BHPian

My first Polo had a known engine-bearing problem: fixed under warranty. Diagnosed and fixed by them, even though I thought it was suspension making the noise.

My current Polo had a known steering fault, fixed under warranty for its original owner.

I hate to think that VAG dealers might be like lawyers: It's 95% that give the other 5% a bad name . It would seem that getting a good one is important. But I can report that I have not had any real problems with my VW after-sales service.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 10:36   #6274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
How old is the car and how many kilometers has it covered?

At 27k on the odo, I'd found that my car's link rods and steering ball joints needed replacement. Plus, the Continental MC5 I was running at the time had gotten pretty hard. These factors contribute to a hard steering. Sometimes even the wrong tyre pressure could be the cause.

Post repair / replacement, the car feels brand new and the heaviness / tightness from the steering has disappeared entirely!
i keep tyre pressure at about 34 psi. But my problem is steering feels too hard and after a while it becomes normal. My car is 2017 oct manufactured registered in 2017 oct itself. Still running stock tyres and car has done about 18k kms.

Also one more problem that i face is DSG jerks from d3-->d2 and d2-->d1

Sometimes when in d2, there is kat kat sound and then car shifts to d1. upshifts are normal and quick.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th September 2019 at 14:46. Reason: Spacing
Old 11th September 2019, 14:37   #6275
BHPian

Quote:
Also one more problem that i face is DSG jerks from d3-->d2 and d2-->d1
Sometimes when in d2, there is kat kat sound and then car shifts to d1. upshifts are normal and quick.
Here's what I would suggest: make a note of what rpms the jerky downshifts happen. Replicate the shifts in manual mode and check if the shifts are any different. My experience is limited, but I think it's more to do with how the engine reacts on downshifts rather than the geerbox.

I vaguely remember reading on this thread that the sound is the first indication of an impending mechatronics failure. However, that's an extreme scenario, not something you'd have to worry about now.

Thanks
SS8939 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 21:09   #6276
BHPian

Quote:
But my problem is steering feels too hard and after a while it becomes normal. My car is 2017 oct manufactured registered in 2017 oct itself. Still running stock tyres and car has done about 18k kms.
My friend in Hyderabad had a similar issue and service center told him that it was a problem with his steering rack. It was replaced under warranty. So you should get this checked by your service center.
Old 11th September 2019, 21:22   #6277
BHPian

Have had a good discussion on Tata Tiago JTP on it's official review thread. It ended up more like Tiago vs GT TSI.

Did some meticulous digging on the reviews and found GT TSI to be mentioned as slower than the Tiago JTP in 0-100 kmph dash, albeit by few seconds only.

Most of the difference is been said to be because of the manual gear box of Tiago. Now if the Polo GT TSI is launched in manual mode and driven in Manual mode itself then will it be doing the 0-100 kmph run quicker?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th September 2019 at 21:26. Reason: Spacing
Old 11th September 2019, 21:58   #6278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Did some meticulous digging on the reviews and found GT TSI to be mentioned as slower than the Tiago JTP in 0-100 kmph dash, albeit by few seconds only.

Most of the difference is been said to be because of the manual gear box of Tiago. Now if the Polo GT TSI is launched in manual mode and driven in Manual mode itself then will it be doing the 0-100 kmph run quicker?
It is 113 bhp of Tiago JTP vs. 103 bhp of GT TSI. GT TSI produces more torque (175 NM) than JTP (150 NM) though.
Old 11th September 2019, 22:04   #6279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
It is 113 bhp of Tiago JTP vs. 103 bhp of GT TSI. GT TSI produces more torque (175 NM) than JTP (150 NM) though.
In real world comparison I seriously did not see it perform as mentioned on paper. May be because of the manual gear box and the way they have set up the rev limiter.

Polo is heavier than the JTP yet it feels nimble and quicker. The timings recorded say other wise albeit just a second or two slower than the JTP.
Old 11th September 2019, 22:37   #6280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In real world comparison I seriously did not see it perform as mentioned on paper. May be because of the manual gear box and the way they have set up the rev limiter.

Polo is heavier than the JTP yet it feels nimble and quicker. The timings recorded say other wise albeit just a second or two slower than the JTP.
From the (short) test drives of 3 turbo petrols I did recently, Polo GT TSI has almost zero turbo lag (Hector and Seltos were the other 2) and that may be the reason it feels quicker. I read that the JTP has significant lag.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2019, 22:41   #6281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
From the (short) test drives of 3 turbo petrols I did recently, Polo GT TSI has almost zero turbo lag (Hector and Seltos were the other 2) and that may be the reason it feels quicker. I read that the JTP has significant lag.
Yes the in gear acceleration is much better than JTP and also Abarth Punto. But that credit is more to the DSG than the engine. A lot was debated that Polo GT TSI is a good commuter than a hot hatch, to which I too agree. VW needs to improve on this, good all round disc brakes, better stiffer suspensions and importantly better sweet sounding exhaust.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 09:03   #6282
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes the in gear acceleration is much better than JTP and also Abarth Punto. But that credit is more to the DSG than the engine.
IMHO, the gearbox does not play a role in in-gear acceleration, as there are no gear shifts involved. In-gear acceleration is to do with how wide the torque is available in the RPM band.

In the Tiago JTP, the max torque of 150Nm is available in the 2000-4000 RPM band. In the GT TSi, the max torque of 175Nm is available from 1500 to 4100RPM. As the max torque is available over a wider RPM band, TSI would have a better in-gear acceleration.
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 09:08   #6283
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
IMHO, the gearbox does not play a role in in-gear acceleration, as there are no gear shifts involved. In-gear acceleration is to do with how wide the torque is available in the RPM band.

In the Tiago JTP, the max torque of 150Nm is available in the 2000-4000 RPM band. In the GT TSi, the max torque of 175Nm is available from 1500 to 4100RPM. As the max torque is available over a wider RPM band, TSI would have a better in-gear acceleration.
7 speed dsg is also a factor here.7 gears means shorter gear ratios for first few gears. Shorter gears will give better acceleration.
anb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 09:16   #6284
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
7 speed dsg is also a factor here.7 gears means shorter gear ratios for first few gears. Shorter gears will give better acceleration.
Thanks for pointing this. I had not thought about this factor. Gear ratio should also contribute to in-gear acceleration.
Old 12th September 2019, 09:31   #6285
BHPian

My TSI does not creep in D mode

My gym valet told me yesterday that I should get my car checked as it does not creep forward in D mode. This got me thinking and I realized this change in behavior since past 1 year or more. I clearly remember that GT creeps forward in D mode. But mine does not do that any longer. I don't recall when this changed.

Is there something broken or worn out which is resulting in this? Or is it some simple ECU setting? I notice that in N, the rpm is about 800 which goes up to 1000 when I shift to D (without any physical movement on ground).

My GT TSI is nearing its 4th anniversary and have clocked 40000 km. I have been using it for sedate city driving for 99% of the mileage. Except for this no-creep observation (which doesn't really affect driving), there hasn't been a single issue with the engine or transmission. The car currently runs pretty smoothly and its as peppy as ever. I am wondering what could be wrong? The car is still under 2+2 warranty till Oct end and I intend to but the add on warranty every year till possible. Please suggest. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks