Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2019, 12:18   #6421
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Why do you fear revving the car at a standstill?
PUC tests are done at idle and at 2500 rpm. The entire idea of PUC is to stimulate real world usage and 2500 rpm is well within that. That is hardly crazy revving. As long as the engine is warmed up, and you follow the one minute idle rule before switching off your turbo charged car, there is no harm. AC or no AC doesn't make any difference IMO.
While I'll get back on why idle revving of a turbo charged car is considered very bad (after accumulating my earlier research and thoughts), for now I can tell you that my car often refuses to hold 2500+ rpm without load, after about 10 seconds the rpm goes down to 1200 (no matter what you do with the accelerator) and then after 5 secs jumps back to 2500. This keeps repeating. The PUC guy also confirmed, that they have had trouble with Polo GTs in past, I gave them this trick of keeping the AC on, and it works everytime.

I feel this behavior on my car only started after K&N, which lets too much air in and makes the turbo go too fast without any engine load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishchal316 View Post
I want to point out another issue here which I feel could be specific to my car but I still thought I should share. The accelerator pedal responses differently on different days. I don't know what is the reason for this but on one day I feel , on pressing the pedal just a little bit , the car feels eager to pickup speeds and on another day I feel like the car feels sluggish on the similar pedal input and I feel like pressing it a lot deeper to get the same response ultimately requiring me to drive it in sports mode.

Has any one felt the same and what could be the reason for this.
That is the story behind, why I ever installed K&N. The service center actually installed a wrong part number air filter (diesel filter) that made my car dead often. It was difficult to argue with them, so I just installed K&N, the car runs much more consistent now and always sharp in response.

One thing to note, is that this engine has some variations when it is too hot outside and then it feels less responsive (probably because of air intake temperature).
Old 4th November 2019, 15:01   #6422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
While I'll get back on why idle revving of a turbo charged car is considered very bad (after accumulating my earlier research and thoughts), for now I can tell you that my car often refuses to hold 2500+ rpm without load, after about 10 seconds the rpm goes down to 1200 (no matter what you do with the accelerator) and then after 5 secs jumps back to 2500. This keeps repeating. The PUC guy also confirmed, that they have had trouble with Polo GTs in past, I gave them this trick of keeping the AC on, and it works everytime.
That'll be cool. Always good to learn some more!

I just got the PUC done a couple of weeks ago and my car didn't seem to have this issue of holding the RPM. I am certain the AC was off, but I also don't think the PUC guy kept it at 2500 rpm for more than 10 seconds. I have the stock air filter, but the cold air channel/cold air intake.

Just one of those things, I guess. Luckily for BS4 cars the PUC is only once a year, so it isn't too bad ultimately.
Old 6th November 2019, 12:00   #6423
BHPian

Looking to buy the armrest for my GT from AliExpress on the upcoming 11.11 sale. Would anyone be able to have a look at this link and see if it would fit correctly: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3287...c00YeGAu4&mp=1

Many thanks.
Old 6th November 2019, 12:05   #6424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Looking to buy the armrest for my GT from AliExpress on the upcoming 11.11 sale. Would anyone be able to have a look at this link and see if it would fit correctly: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3287...c00YeGAu4&mp=1

Many thanks.
Yes, this would fit the GT correctly. I had bought a similar one a few years ago.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 12:06   #6425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Yes, this would fit the GT correctly. I had bought a similar one a few years ago.
Many thanks appreciate the super fast response! How was the quality and do you recommend it?
Old 6th November 2019, 12:09   #6426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Many thanks appreciate the super fast response! How was the quality and do you recommend it?
I am not sure if it's the same vendor. Having said that, I have known people who have bought from AliExpess and don't have much to complain. Mine has been doing good for about 3 years now.

Last edited by swissknife : 6th November 2019 at 12:10.
Old 6th November 2019, 14:02   #6427
BHPian

Visited B U Bhandari, Pune, to check this out, along with Ameo DSG.

1. Asked for any offers. He said GT TSI never gets any offer. Ameo DSG has 1 lakh discount.
2. Asked why GT TSI has lower FE than Vento TSI. He was unprepared. Gave their routine amswer that 'it depends on driving style', and also told word-of-mouth numbers from customers. After telling multiple times that I am talking about ARAI mileage, he said there is some RPM adjustment.
3. Took test drive of both Ameo and Polo automatics. Ameo had a definite turbo lag. Deal breaker. Polo on the other hand was as responsive as its reputation warrants.
4. I didn't like the dead pedal. It was narrow. I faced the same issue in my Ecosport. Which cars give a well-sized dead pedal? I prefer not a have a dead pedal instead of such narrow ones where one third of the foot width can't rest on it.
Old 6th November 2019, 15:23   #6428
BHPian

Quote:
Why do you fear revving the car at a standstill?
PUC tests are done at idle and at 2500 rpm. The entire idea of PUC is to stimulate real world usage and 2500 rpm is well within that.
Idle revving your car at standstill without load is real world usage for you? Interesting.
Old 6th November 2019, 15:45   #6429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith2524 View Post
Idle revving your car at standstill without load is real world usage for you? Interesting.
I think we're veering off-topic here.
However, maybe we could do the PUC on a rolling road, or strap a PUC unit to the back of the car and drive around like they do for the test cars.
Old 7th November 2019, 10:25   #6430
BHPian

Quote:
I think we're veering off-topic here.
However, maybe we could do the PUC on a rolling road, or strap a PUC unit to the back of the car and drive around like they do for the test cars.
Yes, a rolling road (chassis dyno) is the norm for emission testing. Been doing this annually for the last 15 years in as part of annual technical inspection for registration renewal (in my other country of residence).
keith2524 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 18:25   #6431
BHPian

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Has anyone had any luck in making the cornering lights to work? The manual says they come on when the car turns (I have tried this with the fog lamps on but did not see the cornering ones come on)
Old 20th November 2019, 19:14   #6432
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman360 View Post
Has anyone had any luck in making the cornering lights to work? The manual says they come on when the car turns (I have tried this with the fog lamps on but did not see the cornering ones come on)
The cornering lights are actually the fog lamps and are static. They are enabled by default from the factory and work when the car's headlights are switched on.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 19:58   #6433
BHPian

Folks, I want to upgrade headlamp bulbs (2019 new Polo) to either LED or better vision, in their current form they are pathetic. Can anyone share with me the model of bulbs (I.e H7 etc)? Can you also share model code for current spec Polo in India? I am in NY and then in London so may be able to pick some upgrades. Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
Old 20th November 2019, 20:34   #6434
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In the OE BiXenon headlights that came in Polos in other countries, there is a H7 bulb that acts as cornering light. In the Indian version of Polo, the fog lights are the cornering lights.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 21:01   #6435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone had any luck in making the cornering lights to work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
They are enabled by default from the factory and work when the car's headlights are switched on.
Hey Cayman360, Suhaas is correct, but here is how it works on Polo:

- Headlights must be switched on but not the fog lamps.
- Turn on the desired indicator (right/left).
- Turn the steering in the direction of the indicator, and the fog lamp comes on as part of the static cornering light
For example, if you turn right with the headlights turned on and the indicator stalk set to right, the right fog lamp comes on.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 20th November 2019 at 21:02.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks