Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2020, 17:16   #6511
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post
... Bajaj are playing hardball while processing warranty claims and issuing warranty extensions.
Internationally, all/most companies insure against the cost of warranty claims: it is a part of the corporate insurance market. It is absolutely unacceptable that the end customer should suffer because of internal financing changes.

I have no idea about the actual mechanics, though. What I would expect (and my small insurance-industry experience is from almost twenty years ago now) is that the manufacturer is the insurer for warranty clams, and that they would offset these expenses by buying reinsurance. The relationship between the company and its reinsurer(s) should be completely irrelevant to the end customer.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 00:41   #6512
BHPian

Hi guys, I have a 2015 1.5 tdi polo with r15 wheels. The current usage of the car is semi rural and highways and therefore low Ground Clearance has become an issue. I know polo is the least suitable for these conditions but selling it off with such low resale value seems to be a ridiculous idea, and so we've decided to keep it and use it for daily needs.

Therefore, I need suggestions on options that I have to increase the gc. Tyres with different specs is what I am inclined towards and not so much towards spacers, suspension kits etc. Has anyone done it successfully before?

Apologies if this topic has been discussed in this thread before. I tried scrolling through it but without any luck.
Malhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 10:50   #6513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malhi View Post
Therefore, I need suggestions on options that I have to increase the gc. Tyres with different specs is what I am inclined towards and not so much towards spacers, suspension kits etc. Has anyone done it successfully before?
I think you'll be better off installing an engine protection plate. The Polo is a pretty high car as it is, I've not heard of cases of under-body hits. Taller tyres will give you a few mm more of GC, but the plate will be added insurance.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd January 2020 at 07:52. Reason: Fixed quoted post
Old 22nd January 2020, 12:13   #6514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
I think you'll be better off installing an engine protection plate. The Polo is a pretty high car as it is, I've not heard of cases of under-body hits. Taller tyres will give you a few mm more of GC, but the plate will be added insurance.
It has one plastic under body plate. Are there any metal plate options?

The gc isn't enough even for 'under repair' stretches of the highways let alone bad roads. Believe me, I've come to complete halts in the middle of highways, on encountering big potholes, reversed the car and bypassed them to avoid underbody scrapes. In comparison to the swift, for example, the polo is way behind in tackling bad roads.
Old 22nd January 2020, 23:18   #6515
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Yes, Polo is ok, but in situations where you park near/ facing a footpath a small hit to the front under-body is known to cause major internal injuries (to the things in the engine bay).

Quote:
In comparison to the swift, for example, the polo is way behind in tackling bad roads.
That isn't quite true in my experience. The overall GC of the polo could be marginally lower than the swift, but it actually works much better because of stiffer springs. Also, the lower lip (front bumper) of most Marutis is a big problem, they scrape and break and what not, which is much better in Polo.

I have one question of my own. Its a topic discussed before, but let me show my Polo's idle rpm.

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-20200122_212718.jpg

If you calculate, this comes to slightly below 700, which is cool. The problem is that most often its idling at 950 (without AC), and if I push the accelerator to take it to about 1500 once and then it comes back and settles at this 700ish. Does this happen with others?

Last edited by SLK : 22nd January 2020 at 23:19.
Old 22nd January 2020, 23:58   #6516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
The problem is that most often its idling at 950 (without AC), and if I push the accelerator to take it to about 1500 once and then it comes back and settles at this 700ish. Does this happen with others?
Probably the cold start idle rpm is higher (900) and once it warms up, it settles to 750.
Old 23rd January 2020, 00:03   #6517
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Probably the cold start idle rpm is higher (900) and once it warms up, it settles to 750.
This is all warmed up, after driving for an hour. I'll get a video next time.
Old 23rd January 2020, 07:50   #6518
Senior - BHPian

I was amazed by the Polo's ability to Off-road just two days ago. I had to drive through a completely-dug-up narrow road to reach my society, thanks to a ginormous traffic jam resulting in a 45 min crawl for 400 metres. And oh boy, my heart was in my mouth while negotiating this mess of stones, deep dug out patches, water and incessant two-wheelers traversing in the opposite direction, all struggling. As usual, there was no notice of the road being dug up ahead. I had to take a sharp left turn, which was like a 2-feet step from that road level, and I was at a point of no-return. Initially, the car hesitated, and I realised that the Traction control was playing its part. So I switched off the TC, put the DSG in Sport and gave the pedal an almighty shove (Hail Mary! situation). Thankfully, the car leaped up easily without hurting the undersides. Any other typical sedan/hatch would have surely left its bumper or its underbelly behind in the circumstances. The passersby were left astonished.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-img_3290.jpg  

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 23rd January 2020 at 08:01.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2020, 11:05   #6519
BHPian

Quote:
It has one plastic under body plate. Are there any metal plate options?
I'm not sure. The part number is for the plate is 6R0825235 (Courtesy TheLizardKing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
I have one question of my own. Its a topic discussed before, but let me show my Polo's idle rpm.

If you calculate, this comes to slightly below 700, which is cool. Does this happen with others?
YES! It is a very inconsistent "issue" though. I always thought it was some problem, but luckily it happened at the SC once and the guys scanned and checked everything it was OK.
In short: nothing to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Thankfully, the car leaped up easily without hurting the undersides. Any other typical sedan/hatch would have surely left its bumper or its underbelly behind in the circumstances. The passersby were left astonished.
Impressive. I've taken the Polo on some bad roads too, and I've come away without a scratch.
This is the highest car I've ever owned, so my perspective isn't too great to begin with.
Old 23rd January 2020, 11:19   #6520
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was amazed by the Polo's ability to Off-road just two days ago. I had to drive through a completely-dug-up narrow road to reach my society, thanks to a ginormous traffic jam resulting in a 45 min crawl for 400 metres. And oh boy, my heart was in my mouth while negotiating this mess of stones, deep dug out patches, water and incessant two-wheelers traversing in the opposite direction, all struggling. As usual, there was no notice of the road being dug up ahead. I had to take a sharp left turn, which was like a 2-feet step from that road level, and I was at a point of no-return. Initially, the car hesitated, and I realised that the Traction control was playing its part. So I switched off the TC, put the DSG in Sport and gave the pedal an almighty shove (Hail Mary! situation). Thankfully, the car leaped up easily without hurting the undersides. Any other typical sedan/hatch would have surely left its bumper or its underbelly behind in the circumstances. The passersby were left astonished.
Agreed.

Careful negotiation would get you through most situations.

I have driven my lowered Polo 1.2 TSI over some gigantic speed breakers and even over non existent roads. You will find pictures of my escapades on my ownership thread where I had driven off the tarmac and over a pathway that was created for mining trucks and tractors, and my car came out unscathed.

If you drive a little quickly over non existent roads, you may have a problem. But if you are careful, you wouldn't have any issue.
Old 23rd January 2020, 14:37   #6521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had to drive through a completely-dug-up narrow road to reach my society ...
Sadly, all the roads around my house are at least as bad. In many places, there is no tar surface, just mud and holes. The roads have been repeatedly dug over the past two years, and never repaired.

There is a storm drain across the entrance to my street. It is built high above the road level, with quite a wide flat. The slopes either side have worn down recently, and some part of my Polo GT tdi often catches.
Old 23rd January 2020, 17:00   #6522
BHPian

I see what's happening here. "Bad roads" in the rural areas could actually qualify for "Off road" trails for our urban brothers.

Therefore I googled a photo to illustrate what my German engineering masterpiece has to go through.

I know what many might be thinking, but I can't sell it off because I have spent more on it's alloys and tyres than the value being offered to me for the whole of it.

The swift does a better job in tackling such situations than the sophisticated polo.

Ps- where I come from (UP) one can come across a similar road conditions in the middle of a town, on district roads or even on under construction highways.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-images.jpeg  

Malhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 09:13   #6523
BHPian

I am curious to know if anyone has installed these new side skirts & plastic bits from front/rear bumper? Not sure if this can be done, are these glued to the running board and the bumper? These would add extra bit of protection & I believe they look good on the white car. I know there are after market front lip which can be installed on the front bumper but I need side skirts also. I am guessing these would have there own part numbers & can be purchased & installed separately. My white GT is 5yr old and it has taken lots of beating especially the front bumper. I don't want to replace the entire bumper but would add these if possible

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review-28012020-084438.jpg

Last edited by BlueEyes : 28th January 2020 at 09:15.
Old 31st January 2020, 22:57   #6524
BHPian

The stock tires on my GT has worn out as per service advisor. Its clocked in 65K Kms. Its Good Year Assurance model.
Can someone please suggest on which tyres should I replace it with that best suits the GT TSI?
Old 1st February 2020, 06:02   #6525
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramb View Post
The stock tires on my GT has worn out as per service advisor. Its clocked in 65K Kms. Its Good Year Assurance model.
Can someone please suggest on which tyres should I replace it with that best suits the GT TSI?
I would highly recommend Michelin P4ST. They have a great balance between comfort, handling and road noise. If your car comes with the 15” wheels, then 195/60/15 is a good size to go.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks