Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2020, 06:22   #6526
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malhi View Post
I see what's happening here. "Bad roads" in the rural areas could actually qualify for "Off road" trails for our urban brothers.

Therefore I googled a photo to illustrate what my German engineering masterpiece has to go through.

I know what many might be thinking, but I can't sell it off because I have spent more on it's alloys and tyres than the value being offered to me for the whole of it.

The swift does a better job in tackling such situations than the sophisticated polo.

Ps- where I come from (UP) one can come across a similar road conditions in the middle of a town, on district roads or even on under construction highways.
Tell me about it- I recently made my poor TSI go through a road situation fit only for a Mahindra Thar. But it came through unscathed, and I was impressed.
Old 1st February 2020, 17:22   #6527
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I would highly recommend Michelin P4ST. They have a great balance between comfort, handling and road noise. If your car comes with the 15” wheels, then 195/60/15 is a good size to go.
I have to replace Michelin P3ST (15-inch) soon. I wonder what the 3/4 stands for?

Will new tyres of the same kind give a more comfortable ride than the old ones? It is fine by me, and I don't think that just tyres (rather than a new car!) can make our pot holes any smoother, which is what my wife wants. She would like a smoother ride. I wouldn't mind a quieter ride. I don't drive the GT TDI anywhere near its limit, but don't want to sacrifice too much grip.

Stick with the Michelin? Or something else?

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 1st February 2020 at 17:24.
Old 1st February 2020, 17:47   #6528
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have to replace Michelin P3ST (15-inch) soon. I wonder what the 3/4 stands for?

Will new tyres of the same kind give a more comfortable ride than the old ones? It is fine by me, and I don't think that just tyres (rather than a new car!) can make our pot holes any smoother, which is what my wife wants. She would like a smoother ride. I wouldn't mind a quieter ride. I don't drive the GT TDI anywhere near its limit, but don't want to sacrifice too much grip.

Stick with the Michelin? Or something else?
The P4ST is the next generation to the P3ST. It has all the qualities of the P3ST. Some have felt that it is a little stiffer than P3ST. But I feel the P4STs in my GT are as good as the P3STs I had in the Jetta.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 21:37   #6529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I would highly recommend Michelin P4ST. They have a great balance between comfort, handling and road noise. If your car comes with the 15” wheels, then 195/60/15 is a good size to go.
Thanks a lot Sir for the advice. Mine is 16 “ wheel. I will go for the Michelin.
Is it available in 195/55 R16 size? Or which size should i go for for 16” wheels?

Last edited by ramb : 1st February 2020 at 21:48. Reason: Extra information
Old 1st February 2020, 21:47   #6530
BHPian

Quote:

The swift does a better job in tackling such situations than the sophisticated polo.

Ps- where I come from (UP) one can come across a similar road conditions in the middle of a town, on district roads or even on under construction highways.
I am from rajasthan and the roads in my ancestral village looks the same, i go there regularly and i didn't find any problem driving on them in my polo, moreover the stiffer suspension prevents the car from bottoming out on such roads.

In what way did you find the swift better in such conditions? Apart from polo being expensive and exposing it to such horrible conditions
Old 2nd February 2020, 03:10   #6531
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramb View Post
Thanks a lot Sir for the advice. Mine is 16 “ wheel. I will go for the Michelin.
Is it available in 195/55 R16 size? Or which size should i go for for 16” wheels?
For 16" wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (PS4) is available in 205/50 16 size.
Old 2nd February 2020, 06:43   #6532
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am not sure about the options for 16” wheels. Maybe others can throw some light on this.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 07:43   #6533
BHPian

Quote:
I see what's happening here. "Bad roads" in the rural areas could actually qualify for "Off road" trails for our urban brothers.

Therefore I googled a photo to illustrate what my German engineering masterpiece has to go through.

I know what many might be thinking, but I can't sell it off because I have spent more on it's alloys and tyres than the value being offered to me for the whole of it.

Unfortunately. the GT TSI does not take kindly to bad roads at low speeds.The 55 series tyres are pretty low slung and not meant for heavy cushioning. The Swift has 80 series tyres fitted ,165/80R14 perhaps which are much more capable to take on the rough. But on the highway, the TSI drives like a dream. No other 11 lakh car has the sort of performance the GT TSI gives you. I have a 2017 model and I live for the times when I travel to Pune on the Expressway.
Dead Head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 07:59   #6534
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, Michelin Primacy PS4 is available in the 195/55/16 size. Recently (3 months back) bought for Ciaz. Costed me 7.9k per tyre. I have 3ST in my swift, 4ST in comparison felt little stiff. But it is super grippy and silent as usual
vaisakhr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 12:48   #6535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
Yes, Michelin Primacy PS4 is available in the 195/55/16 size. Recently (3 months back) bought for Ciaz. Costed me 7.9k per tyre. I have 3ST in my swift, 4ST in comparison felt little stiff. But it is super grippy and silent as usual
Thanks vaisakhr. Great to know this size is available. I have a friend who works in Michelin chennai. Will get some information from him.
Will go for the 3ST. Will post the price once i get the information

Is Primacy and PS(pilot sport) the same?

Last edited by ramb : 2nd February 2020 at 13:08. Reason: More information added
Old 3rd February 2020, 00:16   #6536

Hi. Was planning to go in for a new GT TSI soon. I read up a lot of old posts talking about mods voiding warranties. Given this, should I just go in for a pre-worshipped specimen and take my chances with the DQ200? I know I am not going to lay off the free flow exhaust, ECU remap, Upgraded ICE and Upsized rims.

So basically, is it advisable for an enthusiast looking to mod his car to always go pre-owned? Kindly advise. Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 01:38   #6537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahadi.Officer View Post

So basically, is it advisable for an enthusiast looking to mod his car to always go pre-owned? Kindly advise. Thanks
Well looking at the track record of volkswagen and the price of the spares, it is always advisable to have a vehicle with warranty just for the peace of mind. But as you are planning on modifying your vehicle heavily, which would definitely void your warranty there's no point in buying a new vehicle.

The money you will save on buying a pre worshipped one will sponsor your modifications as well, just get the vehicle checked thoroughly and look at the service history as well, and prefer a low mileage one.
yesyeswe is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 20:40   #6538

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
Well looking at the track record of volkswagen and the price of the spares, it is always advisable to have a vehicle with warranty just for the peace of mind. But as you are planning on modifying your vehicle heavily, which would definitely void your warranty there's no point in buying a new vehicle.

The money you will save on buying a pre worshipped one will sponsor your modifications as well, just get the vehicle checked thoroughly and look at the service history as well, and prefer a low mileage one.
Thinking on the aforementioned lines only. A used piece under 5 years old with 40K on the odo should set me back around 5 Lacs. Mods for another 2 Lacs. Hedging DSG reliability with 1 Lac in kitty, should the need arise for a total replacement without warranty. Am I missing anything here?
Old 4th February 2020, 13:39   #6539
BHPian

Just gave my car for the 60K annual service. My pass light switch (high beam- low beam) had gone kaput a few weeks back. Got it replaced last week as well couldn't wait for the service due date for it. Done under extended warranty. They took 3 weeks to source the part and 1/2 a day for replacement.

My car has done about 33K KMs and want to get my tyres replaced as well. The stock size is 185/60 R15 and I want to retain the same and don't want to upsize. The SA at VW Gurgaon has Pirelli P1 in stock and offered a set of 4 for 20,800 /-

I wasn't able to find any recent review of these tyres so thought I'd check if anyone here has them? Also would love to know the feedback from friends and family for the Pirelli P1s if you guys know anyone using them.
Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 15:42   #6540
BHPian

Has anyone purchased the service value package. My gt-tsi is due for 24 month service. Was quoted around 11k for the package. Wondering if a regular service will cost more?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks