Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2018, 14:07   #5446
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

I've had the pleasure of driving my beautiful TSI for over 50,000 kms till now. It's always been so much fun, pure delight.

It's time for a few upgrades, some are very minor. Need some guidance from you guys.
Mine is an early 2014 beauty, bought in March.

Few queries;
1) Can the OEM RCD320 head unit take a secondary mic placed in the cabin light? I have a new cabin light (the laura/ Jetta one), which I plan on upgrading to.

2) If it does accept a secondary mic, will this be the only accessory I'll need for the job? http://www.vagtune.in/volkswagen/vw-...35711-b-detail

3) I haven't upgraded the tyres till date. My wife and I enjoy the ride quality and do not want to compromise on the comfort. I read extensively that the stock tyre size of 15" will give the best ride comfort. What I want to know is, getting a remap (I'm planning on getting the Revo or similar) and keeping the tyre size at 15", will the boost from the remap still be as evident? Or is it pointless to get such a remap on these small tyres? I've only seen users with 16" or 17" tyres get remaps.

4) I am heading to Mumbai from Pune, for all this work. Where can I get a good remap done in Mumbai? I've heard a few good things about the Revo, any other worthy remaps which I should be aware of?

5) I am thinking of getting a new exhaust from Automech in Parel. I definitely don't want to remove the catalytic converter. What's the best he can do then? I don't want the crazy screaming of the exhaust, low bass & a nice growl is what I desire?

I have a few more doubts but these are the major ones.

Thanks guys!
adityan27 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 15:08   #5447
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityan27 View Post
Few queries;
1) Can the OEM RCD320 head unit take a secondary mic placed in the cabin light? I have a new cabin light (the laura/ Jetta one), which I plan on upgrading to.

2) If it does accept a secondary mic, will this be the only accessory I'll need for the job? http://www.vagtune.in/volkswagen/vw-...35711-b-detail

3) I haven't upgraded the tyres till date. My wife and I enjoy the ride quality and do not want to compromise on the comfort. I read extensively that the stock tyre size of 15" will give the best ride comfort.

4) I am heading to Mumbai from Pune, for all this work. Where can I get a good remap done in Mumbai? I've heard a few good things about the Revo, any other worthy remaps which I should be aware of?

5) I am thinking of getting a new exhaust from Automech in Parel. I definitely don't want to remove the catalytic converter. What's the best he can do then?
1. It should ideally be able to do so. There is a slot in the cabin light to accommodate the mic IIRC. However, why don't you consider upgrading to the RCD 330G? It's about 12K and is worth it IMHO.

2. I don't really know much about the RCD 320. So sorry, can't comment on this aspect.

3. It is recommended that you get 16 inch rims. Simple reason: It will open you up to a lot of options for performance tyres, from the MRF perfinenza to the Michelin PS3.

4. There are several competent tuners though I will admit that Revo and petes are the better known ones. Explore and try to work out a deal with them

5. One suggestion, you can tweak the map of your car to compliment the exhaust for further performance gains. Talk to your tuner about this one.

Another thing I think you should do is upgrade the brakes. 1.2 owners find them to be inadequate even in the stock tune. It's thus prudent to look for better rotors and pads. Bhpian Graaja has done a detailed DIY for the same.

There is also a lot of scope for improvement to the suspension. All in all, I think the suspension and brakes should be tackled first if you want to really exploit that remap!

Regards and all the best,
Vishy

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th August 2018 at 21:01. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improved readability
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 15:51   #5448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
1. It should ideally be able to do so. There is a slot in the cabin light to accommodate the mic IIRC. However, why don't you consider upgrading to the RCD 330G? It's about 12K and is worth it IMHO.

2. I don't really know much about the RCD 320. So sorry, can't comment on this aspect.

3. It is recommended that you get 16 inch rims. Simple reason: It will open you up to a lot of options for performance tyres, from the MRF perfinenza to the Michelin PS3.

4. There are several competent tuners though I will admit that Revo and petes are the better known ones. Explore and try to work out a deal with them

5. One suggestion, you can tweak the map of your car to compliment the exhaust for further performance gains. Talk to your tuner about this one.

Regards and all the best,
Vishy
Wow! Thanks for your quick revert Vishy. A few follow ups..

1) Great idea about the RCD 330G. I will surely look into it. Maybe there is a good used one for sale. VW dealer should be carrying them right? Is it a plug & play?

2) The RCD 330G surely has a secondary mic add-on option, right?

3) What if ride comfort is top priority for me, even more than sporty performance? Do I still get the 16"? Will I have to change the original rims too?

4) Is Revo tuning possible in Mumbai?
I know Pete's isn't possible.

5) Will surely talk to the tuner about the exhaust before I take further action.

I did upgrade my rotors & pads to Brembos over 2 years back. It was a huge improvement. Now, it's time to get new pads but rotors should be good after skimming them. Will get them inspected.

I decided against suspension upgrade because it makes the ride quality hard, isn't it? Looses some of the comfort. I don't wish to do that even if it means it'll improve performance.
Is there a suspension upgrade option which makes the drive even more smooth on our roads? My car is majorly used on city roads and occasionally on highways.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th August 2018 at 21:00. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improved readability
adityan27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 16:23   #5449
BHPian

Quote:
4) Is Revo tuning possible in Mumbai?
I know Pete's isn't possible.
Contact Karanraj Shah at KS SPORTS they do revo and are based in Bombay

http://www.ksmotorsport.co.in

The remap for GT Tsi is 36,000 and the air filter ( optional ) is 7,200

He says the engine delivers 143 bhp post the remap.

These figures were quoted to me by him when i had made an inquiry in Jan last year.

They also are dealers for Borla exhausts, so they might be a one stop shop for your needs.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated to him in any way and neither have I had the remap done
nova9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 16:53   #5450
BHPian

Quote:
3) I haven't upgraded the tyres till date. My wife and I enjoy the ride quality and do not want to compromise on the comfort. I read extensively that the stock tyre size of 15" will give the best ride comfort. What I want to know is, getting a remap (I'm planning on getting the Revo or similar) and keeping the tyre size at 15", will the boost from the remap still be as evident? Or is it pointless to get such a remap on these small tyres? I've only seen users with 16" or 17" tyres get remaps.
If ride quality is a priority, please retain the 15" inch rims and up-size the tyres to Michelin P3ST 195/60/R15.

It's a beautiful combination and there is a discernible improvement in the ride quality/tyre noise.

Please do not go for 16" rims as there is really no need for a alloy wheel up-size for the GT TSI. It will also increase tyre cost, the cost of the alloys themselves notwithstanding. And considering that the GT is a car to be driven at 100-120 kph on the highway, the alloy wheel up-size wouldn't make much of a difference.

The 15" rims and the Michelin P3ST are perfect for city commuting where the road surface quality is of questionable pedigree.
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 20:06   #5451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhisheKulkarni View Post
If ride quality is a priority, please retain the 15" inch rims and up-size the tyres to Michelin P3ST 195/60/R15.

It's a beautiful combination and there is a discernible improvement in the ride quality/tyre noise.

Please do not go for 16" rims as there is really no need for a alloy wheel up-size for the GT TSI. It will also increase tyre cost, the cost of the alloys themselves notwithstanding. And considering that the GT is a car to be driven at 100-120 kph on the highway, the alloy wheel up-size wouldn't make much of a difference.

The 15" rims and the Michelin P3ST are perfect for city commuting where the road surface quality is of questionable pedigree.
Thanks a ton, I'm surely going ahead with your suggestion! The Michelin P3ST were in the top 2 tyres which I had finalised.
My cousin highly recommends the Yokohama Earth 1 series. Does anyone have any opinions on those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post

These figures were quoted to me by him when i had made an inquiry in Jan last year.

They also are dealers for Borla exhausts, so they might be a one stop shop for your needs.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated to him in any way and neither have I had the remap done
Thank you so much!
I am going to contact Mr. Shah first thing tomorrow morning. I'll enquire about the filters and exhaust too.
I want to get the K&N 57s Performance Airbox with a VW Euro Spec Air Intake Channel guide.

Is there a suspension system which focuses more on ride comfort? Makes the drive buttery smooth on our roads?
Old 28th August 2018, 16:30   #5452
BHPian

Quote:

I had a word with this guy right now, forgot to ask his name.

He says that after the remap you get about 112-115 bhp. He has checked it on his dyno. Getting a 140 bhp figure isn’t possible according to him

What do you guys think? 140 bhp is after all the necessary upgrades like filter & exhaust is it?

Is there any other remap with higher output for the TSI?
Old 28th August 2018, 17:19   #5453
BHPian

Quote:
I had a word with this guy right now, forgot to ask his name.

He says that after the remap you get about 112-115 bhp. He has checked it on his dyno. Getting a 140 bhp figure isn’t possible according to him

What do you guys think? 140 bhp is after all the necessary upgrades like filter & exhaust is it?

Is there any other remap with higher output for the TSI?
This is what he wrote to me when i had asked him for a quote

My question "The revo site claims a boost in power that varies from 127 to 142 bhp. What have you realistically achieved for your clients."

His reply

"I have seen the stock polo to make 92 Hp and after a remap the power climbs to 112-116 Hp. The max that we have gained after air filter , full exhaust with BORLA and 97 octane we have got 125hp.

bear in mind the difference from HP to BHP is 15%….so if on the wheels i am getting 125hp….then it equates to 143bhp…which is almost the same as the REVO website"
Old 28th August 2018, 20:02   #5454
BHPian

Quote:
This is what he wrote to me when i had asked him for a quote

My question "The revo site claims a boost in power that varies from 127 to 142 bhp. What have you realistically achieved for your clients."

His reply

"I have seen the stock polo to make 92 Hp and after a remap the power climbs to 112-116 Hp. The max that we have gained after air filter , full exhaust with BORLA and 97 octane we have got 125hp.

bear in mind the difference from HP to BHP is 15%….so if on the wheels i am getting 125hp….then it equates to 143bhp…which is almost the same as the REVO website"
Alright. Makes sense. Even I asked the guy does adding the filters and exhaust add more BHP.

So is this still one of the favourite & highest power boosting remaps for most enthusiast?
Secondly, spending 37k for around 20-22 BHP power increase is worth every penny right? Because I surely want to do it, if people are enjoying their drive even more. Or should I put that money in other upgrades? Like headlights, RCD 330G headunit, maybe something else.
I’m getting tyre and break upgrades done.
Old 29th August 2018, 14:07   #5455
BHPian

Quote:
Or should I put that money in other upgrades? Like headlights, RCD 330G headunit, maybe something else.
I’m getting tyre and break upgrades done.
I got my answer after talking to a few people and thoroughly reading a lot of threads, getting the B6 suspension with stock springs or GTI springs if I can source them in time.

Better suspension will be a more practical and a day to day useful upgrade I feel.
Though remap is still at the top of my head, maybe one which is slightly more economical. Heard Petes is VFM.
Can I get the Petes remap done in Mumbai?
Old 29th August 2018, 14:32   #5456
BHPian

Quote:
Alright. Makes sense. Even I asked the guy does adding the filters and exhaust add more BHP.

So is this still one of the favourite & highest power boosting remaps for most enthusiast?
Secondly, spending 37k for around 20-22 BHP power increase is worth every penny right?
Last year during thanksgiving, Revo had 25% off coupon code valid worldwide. Validity of the coupon was extended till 15th January 2018. I got my Yeti remapped with Karan using this code and Final price I paid was 28k. If you can wait till November you can save 25%.
sagpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2018, 16:47   #5457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
Last year during thanksgiving, Revo had 25% off coupon code valid worldwide. Validity of the coupon was extended till 15th January 2018. I got my Yeti remapped with Karan using this code and Final price I paid was 28k. If you can wait till November you can save 25%.
Sounds like a good deal. I can surely wait. Thanks a lot!
Old 3rd September 2018, 12:21   #5458
BHPian

I got a rude shock when I filled the windshield wiper fluid tank of my recently purchased (pre-worshipped, 2015) GT TSI. The capacity is less than 2L!
I have a Polo MPI too, and its tank is 5L+.
Why, VW?

Quote:
Mine is an early 2014 beauty, bought in March.
Just in case you are planning these upgrades because your car is recently out of extended warranty, please allow me to spoil your party by informing you that you now have the option to purchase add-on warranty up to 7 years.

Last edited by Zappo : 3rd September 2018 at 12:28. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 9th September 2018, 01:30   #5459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Just in case you are planning these upgrades because your car is recently out of extended warranty, please allow me to spoil your party by informing you that you now have the option to purchase add-on warranty up to 7 years.
Lol..not at all. Though it's good to know about the add-on warranty.

Thought it was time I invested in the car. Was reading a lot about B6s and new tyres were due along with new brake pads.

I did the upgrades last weekend (1st & 2nd of September) and I was mind blown by the new suspension. This car deserves at least the Bilstein B6. Such a huge upgrade. My drive back to Pune from Mumbai was one of the best ever. I did a night drive and still, I was clocking speeds I normally would never do. So much confidence which cornering, it was unimaginable before. The new Yokohama Earth 1 tyres and Brembo pads (red ones) further boosted my driving confidence.

One huge gripe after driving the car in the city for 2 days was the tyre noise. I went full throttle on a concrete road and the noise was actually taking away some of the fun. Decided to go all out & after driving only 223 kms on the Yokos, got the Michelin P3ST. Had read loads of rave reviews & was keen on trying them out.

First drive, straight road, WOW! Silence.

Slightly rough patch, I felt the bumps.

I think the soft tyres are amazing on smooth roads but bumpy, pothole-filled roads, the P3ST are no good. Actually felt like stock tyres. The car even feels little sluggish

I am having terrible buyers remorse and even contemplating on going back to the Yokos.

I've just driven 64 kms on the P3ST so maybe the tyre is too new to tell. I even spoke to the dealer again and he assured me that the Michelins were the best.

I am totally not feeling the value of this tyre.

I need help from you guys, will the ride quality get better? Do I need to be patient?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th September 2018 at 12:07. Reason: Formatting for improved readability
Old 9th September 2018, 10:22   #5460
BHPian

Quote:

Thought it was time I invested in the car. Was reading a lot about B6s and new tyres were due along with new brake pads.

I need help from you guys, will the ride quality get better? Do I need to be patient?
Did you upgrade to B6s? New suspension setup will take time to settle for both city and highway driving.

The P3STs are definitely superior than the Earth 1s. Quite honestly, Earth 1s are just about average and people usually opt for them since they are quite reasonable and are well suited to Indian road conditions.

Run the P3STs for 500-1000 kms. If you have upgraded to B6, I am sure you will see a great amount of difference once the new suspension kit has clocked some miles.

High speed improvement in ride quality could be visible right away with B6s. Slow speed might take some time. I'd be patient if I was you.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th September 2018 at 12:06. Reason: Formatting
Aston Singh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks