Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2018, 13:36   #5401
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
Hi. I recently purchased a used 2015 make Polo GT TSI, and have a query about the S mode. In many reviews here, it says that the DSG redlines at every gear change in the S mode. However in my car, the DSG upshifts as soon as the engine reaches ~3000 RPM. Is this because of the previous owner's driving style? I've driven her for ~ 400 kms now, and the DSG seems to have learnt my driving style in the D mode. I haven't engaged the S mode a lot since I haven't done any highway runs. Is that the reason for the early upshifting?

Thanks in advance.
From my 30,000 Kms experience with the GT TSI, there is no single gear change RPM in either the S or the D mode. It depends on the A pedal position too. Depress the A pedal fully and it shifts at a much higher RPM than when you depress it only a small amount. Even in the D mode, when I depress the A pedal fully, it shifts quite higher up the RPM band. I have used S mode when I want to have some fun or on clear highways. It red lines in almost all the gears. The only problem I have with the S mode is that it never goes to S7

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 2nd August 2018 at 13:58.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 13:49   #5402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
In my 30,000 Kms experience with the GT TSI, there is no single gear change rpm in either the D or the S mode. It depends on the A pedal position too. Depress the A pedal fully and it shift at a much higher point than when you depress it only a small amount. Even it D mode, when I depress the A pedal fully, it shifts quite higher up the RPM band. I have used S mode when I want to have some fun or on clear highways. It red lines in almost all the gears. The only problem I have with the S mode is that it never goes to S7
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. All the times I have driven in the S mode, there have been precious few opportunities for me to depress the A pedal fully. It takes all my restraint to keep the beast tamed.

I love the kick down feature as much as the S mode. It makes overtaking a breeze. My scariest moment was when the DSG kicked down in S mode because of my over-enthusiastic right foot. It was in S5 at that time. The acceleration when the DSG downshifted caused me to almost pee my pants.
TheLizardKing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 15:22   #5403
BHPian

From what I observed, the S Mode doesn't change the gear shift pattern as it is still linked to how hard we press the pedal. So I think all the S mode does is to maintain min 1500rpm all the time so that you have full 175nm torque available. Even the sensitivity of acceleration input seemed to increase.
Old 2nd August 2018, 17:19   #5404
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
Update:

So, after nearly a week, the issue is 'diagnosed' to be a mechatronics failure, as expected. And as expected, they are washing of their hands siting the car is out of extended warranty and I have a GTI wheel with paddles.
Ouch! been there done that and i can understand the frustration, even without any sort of modification it took couple of firm response from my side to get the damn thing under goodwill warranty, since our extended warranty got over 2 months prior to this. Finally settled for the labor and consumable expense of about 2.5k. Any updates from your side?

And no i did not go for any escalation, was just putting my foot down and insisting with my SA that it has to be covered.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2018, 19:31   #5405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
The only problem I have with the S mode is that it never goes to S7
As far as I know the GT TSI has only 6 ratios in S mode.
Old 3rd August 2018, 09:26   #5406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
As far as I know the GT TSI has only 6 ratios in S mode.
It does have a 7th one, but gets to it only when cruise control is activated.
ventoman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 09:52   #5407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Changing to a thicker sidewall on the same wheels will increase the tire circumference and will mess up the odometer and speedometer readings and maybe the ABS sensors as well.

If you need a plusher ride, you either have to run on lower pressure (like Traveler has mentioned), or change the wheels to 15". I would suggest to experiment with the tire pressure first.
But if I move to 15" wheels the Odo+ ABS are still caliberated for the new 16" wheels. Won't that be a bigger mess than a minor change of tyres with thicker sidewalls?

I think the latter would be an easier thing to live with.
Old 3rd August 2018, 10:13   #5408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
I had the first version (without cruise control) and no matter what I tried it never went to S7. On the other hand the Octavia and A3 go to S7 with no sweat. Which makes me believe the first model of GT Tsi that was sold in India had S7 gear electronically commented out.
Old 3rd August 2018, 10:47   #5409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
I had the first version (without cruise control) and no matter what I tried it never went to S7. On the other hand the Octavia and A3 go to S7 with no sweat. Which makes me believe the first model of GT Tsi that was sold in India had S7 gear electronically commented out.
My Vento TSI too didn't come with cruise control and I never managed to get to S7. I recently retrofitted cruise control and have seen it go to S7 consistently when enabled.
ventoman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2018, 11:53   #5410
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
But if I move to 15" wheels the Odo+ ABS are still caliberated for the new 16" wheels. Won't that be a bigger mess than a minor change of tyres with thicker sidewalls?

I think the latter would be an easier thing to live with.
No. If you move to 15" wheel and still have the same tire circumference, you will not get any error. It is just similar to people upsizing to a 16" wheel from a 15" wheel, but the other way.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 09:37   #5411
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone filled up the empty connector slots inside the glovebox? Link to that post/thread would be welcome.
Old 5th August 2018, 14:09   #5412
BHPian

I always have cruise control turned off, and have seen S7 umpteen number of times.

Quote:
Old 6th August 2018, 09:23   #5413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
I always have cruise control turned off, and have seen S7 umpteen number of times.
Wow..that's quite strange. I never managed to get to S7 without cruise control. Which year/model is your TSI? Mine's a 2015 Feb Vento TSI.
Old 6th August 2018, 09:29   #5414
BHPian

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...26105220733362

The dreaded mechatronics failure has struck again! One of my friends bought a GT in 2014 and has run hardly 50k odd km till date. This happened a week after the car had gone for service at the dealer, Ramani VW in Trichy. They say the warranty has expired and this has to done at his expense. Pathetic !
sunsetorange is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2018, 14:42   #5415
BHPian

Quote:
Wow..that's quite strange. I never managed to get to S7 without cruise control. Which year/model is your TSI?

July 2017 Polo TSi - the one before Android Auto HU upgrade
ashwin489 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks