Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2018, 09:15   #5206
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
So many posts on DSG worry. In just one and half years of ownership my Vento TSI has clocked 32,000+ km. No problem so far, and I don’t worry much about it. The car is driven by two people on a daily basis: wife and myself. Both of us don’t do aggressive acceleration and deceleration. I always slot in neutral at traffic stops, she has to be reminded sometimes.
I firmly believe its a hangover of the past based on a few unfortunate cases and my heart goes out to them. Over one year of ownership and I have not faced any such issues, not even the D3 to D2 jerking issue. I'm generally a sedate driver but there are occasions when I let her rip. Have we finally gone over the DSG hump? Maybe not but the driving experience is truly unbeatable.
Old 11th April 2018, 14:29   #5207
BHPian

Got the only free treatment by VW, first general check up done. On this visit,
1. Got the rain sensing wipers activated
2. Lock/unlock sound activated.

are there any other useful tips?

Also learned a few hidden tricks -

A) Pressing the AC and AUTO button (left and right extreme) together for few seconds, temp display switches between degree C & F

B) Driver doesn't need to wait for all doors to be closed to lock the car. Once the driver is out he/she can just press the lock button on the fob and walk away. Then when the last of passenger's door or boot is closed, all the car's doors and boot are automatically locked.

I did informally chat a bit about the DSG concerns with the mechanic and he simply said that it's very rare and even if it happens beyond warranty, VW wouldn't leave you fending for yourself provided all necessary services are done and there's no retuning/other engine/transmission mods done.

So that's a relief for a worry which might happen to my TSI 5 yrs down the line. Hmm.!
wangdu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 14:49   #5208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
B) Driver doesn't need to wait for all doors to be closed to lock the car. Once the driver is out he/she can just press the lock button on the fob and walk away. Then when the last of passenger's door or boot is closed, all the car's doors and boot are automatically locked.
I keep reading about this feature of doors locking automatically after last door is shut. But this was also the case with my 2008 i10 1.1 magna. I thought this was a standard feature across all remote control central locking cars. Am I missing something here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
I did informally chat a bit about the DSG concerns with the mechanic and he simply said that it's very rare and even if it happens beyond warranty, VW wouldn't leave you fending for yourself provided all necessary services are done and there's no retuning/other engine/transmission mods done.
Great to know about the reported frequency of failures and VW's attitude with respect to such failures. This coupled with reduced number of failures being reported on online forums in the recent years does inspire a bit more confidence in the DSG box on my car.
Old 11th April 2018, 20:52   #5209
BHPian

What is the tyre pressure you guys use for normal use? I am going for a long trip tomorrow and wanted to check tyre pressure. It was 40psi in the front and 38psi at the back. I have changed it to 36psi in front and 32psi at the back.

Any pointers? My gut feel is the front tyre pressure might still be too high.
Old 11th April 2018, 21:09   #5210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
What is the tyre pressure you guys use for normal use? I am going for a long trip tomorrow and wanted to check tyre pressure. It was 40psi in the front and 38psi at the back. I have changed it to 36psi in front and 32psi at the back.

Check the driver side footwell near the sill guard. The tyre specs should be mentioned there.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 21:23   #5211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Assuming that your car is running on stock size, front could be 34 PSI and rear could be 31 PSI.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2018, 22:18   #5212
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Its much lower than that! Its mentioned on the inside of the fuel tank lid.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 00:36   #5213
BHPian

Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshbids View Post
I keep reading about this feature of doors locking automatically after last door is shut. But this was also the case with my 2008 i10 1.1 magna. I thought this was a standard feature across all remote control central locking cars. Am I missing something

OT : few cars do not have that option. You can't lock the car until and unless all the doors are closed properly. I feel that is a much better safety feature as against the car getting locked automatically after all the doors are close.
Imagine a situation where someone left one door open by mistake. You press the lock button and assume you have locked the car - while one door is still open. A thief notices this, gets access to everything inside the car, closes the door and walks away with the valuables. And when you come back, all your valuables are missing - with a supposedly locked car!!!

This according to me is not a feature but a problem!! Observed this in all the Skodas I've had too.

My punto would not lock even if one door wasn't shut properly - it made attempts of locking the car and then unlocking it - which made mechanical locking noise, with flashing indicators to bring it to my attention.

Last edited by samyakmodi : 12th April 2018 at 00:39.
Old 12th April 2018, 07:24   #5214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
I feel that is a much better safety feature as against the car getting locked automatically after all the doors are close.
Imagine a situation where someone left one door open by mistake. You press the lock button and assume you have locked the car - while one door is still open. A thief notices this, gets access to everything inside the car, closes the door and walks away with the valuables. And when you come back, all your valuables are missing - with a supposedly locked car!!!
Sorry to continue OT, but I disagree. One, even though the locking action is initiated, thr visual/audible confirmation comes only after the doors are closed. If you don't get that confirmation in your presence, you need to check it. Secondly, one sometimes needs to carry lots of stuff from the car due to which both hands are full. Happens with me quite often. I simply press the lock button before picking up the stuff, and push the door when my hands are full. Easy.
Old 12th April 2018, 08:11   #5215
Distinguished - BHPian

A lock-failure alarm/beep/etc of some kind might be a good idea, but whatever the car/brand, we have to check for ourselves that the pressed button actually had the desired effect. I often check the door handle.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 08:57   #5216
BHPian

4.5 years & 52k Kms later...

I changed my stock Apollo tyres to Michelin 195/60R15. The result was soothing - A much better ride, silence in the car, better steering weight and grip & slightly higher GC that eliminated most of the mudflap speed breaker scrapes.

My battery had drained a couple of times and hence had to get the car started by a Support battery. Can anyone recommend the rating and the make to change the battery?
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 14:15   #5217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
4.5 years & 52k Kms later.....

My battery had drained a couple of times and hence had to get the car started by a Support battery. Can anyone recommend the rating and the make to change the battery?
I would check with VW dealer for the recommended battery as it would have been appropriately tested to check if it meets GT's on board electronics' demand *especially* in this hot season during which batteries are under stress and charge slower.

Capacity wise 44 to 60 AH but do check the owner's manual or with the dealer. More amp-hours shall always come in handy though.

Just a perspective on cost: I bought Bosch's 35AH a while back for ~3K without giving old battery; that wasn't too far from regular Exide/Amaron's cost.

Last edited by wangdu : 12th April 2018 at 14:16.
wangdu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 09:52   #5218
BHPian

Hi guys, I notice there is a sound from steering column that comes up whenever I turn the wheel. Typical sound when two parts rub against each other. I have verified its not the tyre against the ground but its in the steering setup. Anybody has any idea? It wasn't present earlier. Car has about 5k KMS on ODO now.
Old 13th April 2018, 10:26   #5219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
Hi guys, I notice there is a sound from steering column that comes up whenever I turn the wheel. Typical sound when two parts rub against each other. I have verified its not the tyre against the ground but its in the steering setup. Anybody has any idea? It wasn't present earlier. Car has about 5k KMS on ODO now.
I also hear a sound when steering is turned on a stationary car. Its not very loud and its like spring being wound/unwound I showed it to SA on the six month inspection last week. He said its normal.
Though while car was being checked, they opened the cover above the front shocker mounts and were putting some oil, when i asked, they said this will resolve some noise that they found in steering.

However, i can still hear the spring noise.
revved_up is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 10:39   #5220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
and its like spring being wound/unwound
Perfect description of the sound. Its the exact sound I hear. I am taking my car tomorrow to the 6 months free service. I will bring this up with the service guy.
penpavan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks