Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2021, 14:10   #6736
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

I did try that but the side walls would come out like its under inflated and I was worried picking up a side wall damage !
Old 2nd July 2021, 15:24   #6737
BHPian

I'm running on 32-33 PSI with the stock tires. I'll change to whatever decent brand is available at 40-45k kms. I've also heard that the Continentals are on the harder side and would definitely contribute to the stiffness.

I do drive frequently on the Mumbai - Pune expressway and plan to drive down to other destinations as well. About 60-65% of my driving is on the terrible city roads of Mumbai and Pune.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th July 2021 at 10:31. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 2nd July 2021, 15:47   #6738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus corax View Post
I did try that but the side walls would come out like its under inflated and I was worried picking up a side wall damage !
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechinmay View Post
I'm running on 32-33 PSI with the stock tires. I'll change to whatever decent brand is available at 40-45k kms. I've also heard that the Continentals are on the harder side and would definitely contribute to the stiffness.
My dad, who does the expressway trips weekly and city runabouts runs the Yokohama BluEarth's on 32PSI (Nitrogen). I feel that 32-33 is the perfect pressure to run the cars on, it might look under-inflated, but in reality, the suspension is set up stiffer than other cars around due to which the car runs perfectly.

If you want to, move to Yokohamas or Michelins (now that they're available). My next tyre change, coming up in around 20K KMs would probably be to Michelins.

Hope this helps.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 14:18   #6739
BHPian

Quote:
I have Michelin P4ST 195/65 and run them on 33psi. 20k kms now and absolutely no issues. Rides well.
cpabhijit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 14:49   #6740
BANNED

Quote:
Most tubeless tyres look under inflated at normal pressures. There is nothing to worry about.

Increase the pressure only if you are going to be carrying more load. 4-5 passengers plus luggage. Else it will worsen your ride quality and lower the grip levels.

P.S. Running 205/55 R16 PS4 on my GT TSI for 2.5 yrs now. Have done a long enough trip as well. All on 33 psi. Luckily only had 2 punctures that too at the same time in the same tyre.

Last edited by agambhandari : 6th July 2021 at 14:50.
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 08:56   #6741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
If you want to, move to Yokohamas or Michelins (now that they're available). My next tyre change, coming up in around 20K KMs would probably be to Michelins.

Hope this helps.
On a related note when should one change tires irrespective of the meterage completed. My GT TSI is 4 years 4 months old but only done about 28k km ( thanks to COVID Restrictions), Running on stock Good Year tires. Keen on switching over to stock size Tires with factory fitted suspension ( add on warranty concerns) . Riding comfort is main criteria. Visual examination of tires shows no abnormality as most driving has been on pretty decent roads.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th July 2021 at 09:22. Reason: Fixing broken quote.
Old 9th July 2021, 11:56   #6742
BHPian

Update on 2015 GT TSI, completed 60k/6 years.

The car is running on the 2nd Mechatronics unit since Aug 2020, about 4k km run since the DSG failure.

Gear shifting is unbelievably smooth. There are no jerks to be felt when up-shfiting/down-shifting in the lower gears.

On the contrary, even when the car was new there were noticeable jerks while up-shifting from Day 1. Right in the 1st month of ownership, taking the car to the service center and registering a complaint towards the observed jerks helped when the DSG failed 5.5 years later.

Having a bone-stock car also helped. During the 6th year service done recently, the SA mentioned that they had rejected DSG warranty claims for Polo/Vento cases, as they had mods like engine + gearbox tunes, steering changes, HID lights etc. I would recommend not giving into the temptation of tuning when it comes to DSG cars, if peace of mind during ownership is a priority. Warranty claims are being honored on goodwill basis even after the standard + extended warranty expires, provided the car is stock.

Considering that the 1.2TSI engine is a keeper, truly happy with this experience. Planning to retain the car for a long-term period (provided no major issues occur with the engine).

A lot is being said on the Kushaq/Taigun threads regarding "reliability concerns of the DQ200 DSG". Well, considering VW is replacing Mechatronics units on cars which are out of standard + extended warranty periods, wonder what the hue and cry is about.

The 1.5TSI + DSG combo could be a lovely upgrade for Polo/Vento 1.2TSI owners. Personally, I am eyeing the Taigun 1.5TSI + Manual as a complement to the Polo 1.2 TSI + DSG.

Last edited by GoBlue : 9th July 2021 at 12:10.
GoBlue is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 19:54   #6743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkr15 View Post
when should one change tires irrespective of the meterage completed. My GT TSI is 4 years 4 months old but only done about 28k km ……Visual examination of tires shows no abnormality as most driving has been on pretty decent roads.
If you don’t have any problems from stock tires, 4 years isn’t an age for replacement. You can wait for an year or two. I replaced from Goodyear to Michelin in my car(Linea) after similar odo figure within 4 years. However, my set of tires were puncture magnet.
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 16:19   #6744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlue View Post
Considering that the 1.2TSI engine is a keeper, truly happy with this experience. Planning to retain the car for a long-term period (provided no major issues occur with the engine).
The 1.2TSI + DSG is a keeper for sure. Sad that they've taken out the DSG from the mix now.

Quote:
A lot is being said on the Kushaq/Taigun threads regarding "reliability concerns of the DQ200 DSG". Well, considering VW is replacing Mechatronics units on cars which are out of standard + extended warranty periods, wonder what the hue and cry is about.
My car's DSG simply hasn't missed a shift till date. It is 8 years old and 70k kms and every time I get behind the wheel, it is sheer bliss. I really don't understand what the fuss is about.

Quote:
The 1.5TSI + DSG combo could be a lovely upgrade for Polo/Vento 1.2TSI owners. Personally, I am eyeing the Taigun 1.5TSI + Manual as a complement to the Polo 1.2 TSI + DSG.
It is a deadly combo, I tell you. I got the Karoq in 2020 [1.5TSI + DSG(another DQ200)] and it is everything that I could've asked for in an upgrade. And having driven a TSI + DSG, I don't know how I could've settled for anything else.
Old 13th July 2021, 19:21   #6745
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabhijit View Post
I really don't understand what the fuss is about.
That's one of the downsides of internet. One writes, 500 others quote it as if it was their own experience. There is no doubt that there have been issues, but in my personal experience too, its not something that should always be quoted as a permanent remark on reliability. (I own 2x DQ200s, both going strong. 6.5 years & 2 years).
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 00:16   #6746
BHPian

Quote:
It is a deadly combo, I tell you. I got the Karoq in 2020 [1.5TSI + DSG(another DQ200)] and it is everything that I could've asked for in an upgrade. And having driven a TSI + DSG, I don't know how I could've settled for anything else.
I second this. Proud owner of 2014 model GT TSI. No fuss gearbox. Slow speed bad road bumps are an irritation for 1/2 gear; ECU gets irritated with aggressive shifts down or up, at such roads where all 4 tyres are not planted. Or may be it has learnt from my right foot to behave as such ��. Else butter smooth till redline. I’m the happiest when there are 3 long bodied trucks on the highway and I go 2/3 gears down and overtake them all in one go. One gem of an engine gearbox combo.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th July 2021 at 01:50. Reason: Quote trimmed.
KapilD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 08:37   #6747
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My car's DSG simply hasn't missed a shift till date. It is 8 years old and 70k kms and every time I get behind the wheel, it is sheer bliss. I really don't understand what the fuss is about.
Don't wish for it, chances are you are going to pay for it yourself

When Bangalore traffic was as notorious as it was someone who used to Daily drive the same stretch of roads that I do developed the infamous judder in about 4 months of buying the polo tsi. He decided to use it for outstation trips only afterwards. Usage patterns matter, this gearbox simply isn't made to last on our roads.
Old 14th July 2021, 09:12   #6748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapilD View Post
No fuss gearbox. Slow speed bad road bumps are an irritation for 1/2 gear
You've put it perfectly. I always wanted to ask about this. Looks like it is the standard behaviour.

Going over a hump at slow speed (especially at at angle), or a small pothole in one corner, makes the gear jump unnecessarily from D2 to D1, and back to D2, which is quite annoying. In Bangalore, I regularly take a small stretch of road having around 4 speed humps, with traffic speed of around 15 Kmph (a nightmare for the DSG, I think), and I sometimes put it in manual mode in this stretch, just to avoid this annoyance. Going at slower speed, say 8-10 Kmph, doesn't cause this issue, and the gearbox remains in D2. As you said, I think the loss of traction at one wheel due to a slightly higher speed on the humps, confuses the hell out of it.

Other than the above, the gearbox is simply amazing almost 100% of the time on the highway, and about 95% of the time in the city. It's lightning quick and simply unmatched in this segment, and masks the shortcomings of the puny 1.2 nicely. I've never faced the infamous jerks in my 2020 model till now. I faced it once in one of the older test drive cars, so I know what that is. Hopefully they've fixed this issue.
PearlJam is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 12:39   #6749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
..I always wanted to ask about this. Looks like it is the standard behaviour.
Always happy so share with a fellow enthusiast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
…I faced it once in one of the older test drive cars, so I know what that is. Hopefully they've fixed this issue.
I had service center visit in 2015 twice to get the downshift shudder from D4/D3/D2 even while coasting to a slow stop on a smooth road. They acknowledged it and told me to keep it with them for 2 days as they had a software update then and reset the gearbox.

No issue since then.

Quote:

I’m in the same boat, rather I want to upgrade as my family size has been upgraded. Keep us posted on how you feel once you get to test the 1.5 TSI EVO DSG combo on the Kushaq/Taigun.

Last edited by KapilD : 14th July 2021 at 13:01. Reason: Reference to another post
Old 14th July 2021, 13:30   #6750
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I think the hue and cry is not because of anything, but (1) the downtime the owner faces as a result of this issue, and (2) the major inconvenience of suffering such a failure while on the highway - thereby completely ruining your experience. After all, nobody would want to go through something like this even if it's a problem that VW would readily address.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks