Team-BHP - Ford EcoSport : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Ford EcoSport : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/136854-ford-ecosport-official-review-154.html)

Finally i got to test drive the EcoSport. I could only manage the Ecoboost engine as the diesel was out for service.

1. I liked the driving position, power was good(not great) and in city conditions, turbo lag will be evident(Without turbo, it feels like any 1.2 ltr petrol hatch) But since i am more keen on diesel, i was more interested in handling and suspension. So i wanted to try on the bad stretches(Plenty on bangalore)
2. Front passengers will not feel any of the bad roads or undulations. I tested on bad potholes and vehicle behaved decently
3. Steering is very very light. Its good for the city, but i did not get any feedback on bad roads.
4. After a while switched to back seat with my Mrs. Now the problem starts. Rear bench is flat, stiff and did not feel comfy at all.
5. There is a wonderful seat recline option, but as i sat in reclined position and as driver picked up speed on ORR, i could feel undulations disturbing me. Suspension is stiff. I did ask the driver if they have filled too much air, but he said this is expected from SUV, everything is normal.
6. Driver armrest, I felt its pretty useless as i could not reach the gear lever properly(i am just 5.7) May be taller drivers will like it, but i did not.
7. No point talking about the looks. It is the best looking car south of 10 lakh right now.
So i am having mixed feelings about this car now.

This car is perfect for small family, working couple driving to office on weekdays and taking children out on weekends. Rear bench is good for 2, middle person can adjust like any other hatchback, but there is a floor bump and also the center console(handbrake area) kept on intruding my legs.

Then for others who have bigger family: Kids , elderly parents etc. I am skeptical about they liking rear seat much. Its bit too stiff and seats are not helping either.

I fall into the later category and with a sigh, i am sadly saying that I am striking off Ecosport from my list. a car i was desperately looking out since last year or so. It might be just me, but for others with similar case like mine, Do test it yourself and decide.

Off topic: SA gave me a grin and when i said i did not like the rear seat comfort, he gave me a smile and said i expected this. SUV wont suit family people. Why dont you try new Fiesta and blah blah.. "Ford is working out on a handsome deal for those interested in new fiesta and he said just wait for a day or two and i will intimate you" I was curious and asked is it like 1.5 lakhs ? and he said not so much but its going to be very tempting. My guess is expect around a lakh of discount !!

Looks like new fiesta update is round the corner.

Why are the words like :

"REDEFINES THE VFM ALTOGETHER"
OR
"AT A JAW DROPPING PRICE"

are not added to "What you'll like feature list":Shockked:

as I can see the menition of pricing in XUV5OO, Duster official review threads.
And most importantly it is one feature too good to be missed out even if everyone knows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3131310)
The Ford EcoSport has been launched in India at a price of between Rs. 5.59 - 8.99 lakhs (ex-Delhi).

What you'll like:...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3136479)
Other Points:

• Ford’s tagline : The urban SUV. We couldn't agree more. The company has a lot riding on the EcoSport.

• Cabbies are the only type of owners who'll ever cover 2 lakh kilometers in 4 years.

• The cooling fan is super loud and it stays on after you shut off the engine (if the temperature runs too hot). It makes so much noise that, at one point, we thought it was the engine running!

• EcoSport is the new benchmark.

• Ford invested about Rs. 700 crore into its Chennai factory to set up the EcoSport's manufacturing capability & required capacity expansion.

• Credit where it's due : The Quanto is indeed a superbly packaged sub-4 meter SUV. The Mahindra has spacious 1st & 2nd seat rows, can accommodate 5 healthy adults without a fuss and you get to choose from a 3rd row of seats or that massive 690 liter boot.

• The EcoSport is a phenomenal crowd puller. We had tourists clicking pictures at the hotel, cars stopping on a bridge to catch a glance, people pulling over on the highway to check out the interiors and motorcyclists at traffic lights asking about the expected price. The only other cars we've reviewed that generated such interest were the Fortuner & XUV500.

Disclaimer : Ford invited Team-BHP for the EcoSport test-drive. They covered all the expenses for this driving event.

That was a great review, Vid. I was critical of the Eco Boost engine, but your review and the Ford video are an eye opener indeed. Yes, the 2L km warranty in 4 years is indeed a marketing hype - no one can use it so much in personal use.

The cooling fan noise reminds me of a similar experiencein the ARIA - the fan dosn't make that much noise but the vibrations are felt - like the engine. I bet these are mounting design problems that manufacturers must rectify.

Why have you not questioned Ford about the reason for the missing under body covers in the petrol ?

The price is definitely killing. Point is, how come Ford can manage it ? I'm sure the slump in the American economy shows here. It looks like the Chinese Volumes' logic that Ford is looking to replicate with an Indian manufacturing unit (and with Rs 60 to a USD now !) Except the Figo, nothing in the Ford stable actually sells much ! The new Fiesta's pricing have sure taught Ford the lessons Honda learnt by constantly increasing prices.

Off Topic - Well, everyone in this market is offering HUGE discounts to keep their products afloat, yet when TATA reduces the ARIA prices, we squeal like rats !

Nevertheless, A great review indeed.

There is one thing about the review team that I always appreciate that they always give due credit where it is due. I have read almost all of the Official reviews and never once have I felt a comment to be out of place or there just for the sake of it. Why do you think it takes so much time for an official review to come out. Quality sadly takes time.
The Duster had a mention of Pulling crowds too and if I remember correctly a lot of other cars, XUV, Fortuner just two I can recollect from memory, I am sure there are others.
They have covered TATA's factory as well and If I not mistaken the Mercedes one too.

I will go out on a limb and say this that of all the reviewers out there, most who review cars from a advertisement point of view(Auto car, Zigwheels etc. ), you can just never make out if they recommend the car or not. It is just fleeting Yes's and NO's and before you know it the review is over and they have a winner but there is no substance in any of their statements. At least Team BHP puts the money where their mouths are.

I bought two cars, wholly on Team BHP's reviews and have no complaints till now. The Ecosport has been booked by me as well and the review played a big part in that as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM (Post 3170919)

For your kms a petrol or a diesel would be evenly matched if the diesel is more expensive by 1L (as with the EcoSport).

If you want an AT then 1.5P is the only option.
The Ecoboost is likely to be more satisfying to drive then the i20 Petrol. But the diesel may not really offer that satisfaction.

The new Polo TSI would also be good alternative though the EcoSport is likely to be a different and more entertaining option.

Based on what I hear is that even though ecoboost has more power, the drive ability is 1.5L. Did anyone get to test drive the 1.5 petrol? The ecoboost has noticeable lag at lower RPMs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sknair (Post 3170967)
Based on what I hear is that even though ecoboost has more power, the drive ability is 1.5L. Did anyone get to test drive the 1.5 petrol? The ecoboost has noticeable lag at lower RPMs.

If that is the case then the 1.5 Petrol makes more sense. How is the fuel economy of this engine?

And the Ford India website shows this option to be more expensive than the 1.0 Ecoboost Titanium. Strange :Shockked:

http://www.india.ford.com/suv/ecospo...etrol-titanium

Quote:

Originally Posted by sknair (Post 3170817)
I am assuming only the diesel variants are getting delivered currently. No Petrol?

I think deliveries of Petrol versions also have begun. I saw a Ecoboost being unloaded from logistic truck today at Elite ford service centre.
There were total of 5 ecosport out of which 3 were sea greys and two white. All were titanium or titanium(o). The ecoboost was a titanium version.

Somethings i noticed today:
1.The spare key is also a remote unlike Figo.
2.Never ask kids to open/close the boot, man its damn heavy.Guess one can even use it as a gym equipment.
3.The titanium gets fabric inserts in door where as the (O) gets letherette material.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sknair (Post 3170817)
I am assuming only the diesel variants are getting delivered currently. No Petrol?

Quote:

Originally Posted by zteg (Post 3170894)
Just spoke to the sales manager. All 10 allocations were diesel. No petrol yet.

I have got a petrol allotted to me.
(White EcoBoost)
Haven't decided yet, to buy or not to buy.

But I am most likely buying. Apparently only 3 cars with EcoBoost have arrived and one of them happens to be mine.
I am thinking, can I demand Goodyear tyres?

Quote:

Originally Posted by penpavan (Post 3170986)
(White EcoBoost)

But I am most likely buying. Apparently only 3 cars with EcoBoost have arrived and one of them happens to be mine.

IS this the first lot of EcoBoost that the dealer has recieved? Any idea on what the booking numbers are like for the ecoboost at the dealership?

Saw a EcoSport today near my home, & its rear was sagging with 5 people on board. Not sure if they had loaded the boot.

Quote:

(White EcoBoost)

Cool - when did you book it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by agambhandari (Post 3170988)
IS this the first lot of EcoBoost that the dealer has recieved? Any idea on what the booking numbers are like for the ecoboost at the dealership?

Don't have the booking numbers. But SA said I could be the first one to take EcoBoost delivery. (From dealership or Bangalore itself, am not sure)

Anyone can tell me what could be the city mileage for EcoBoost?

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunphilip (Post 3170992)
Cool - when did you book it?

30-June. Within just a week. (I was hearing minimum 7 months, but I just had to wait 7 days)

Quote:

Originally Posted by penpavan (Post 3170996)
30-June. Within just a week. (I was hearing minimum 7 months, but I just had to wait 7 days)

Hey, that's awesome news! It goes to confirm my thought that dealers were trying to scare buyers towards the diesels quoting long waiting periods for the petrols. I can understand why they'd want to do this for the 1.5P due to the price differential (and potentially Ford's directive given the higher tax bracket for the 1.5P), but couldn't understand why they'd attempt this for EcoBoost buyers, given the EcoBoost is only marginally cheaper than the equivalent diesel.

Quote:

(White EcoBoost)

Did you book at Elite or Lathangi?

Are you planning to change your tyres ? DId you decide upon anything?

Quote:

Originally Posted by maverick145 (Post 3170911)

Which engine option is suitable for me? Please advise. Thanks.

1.5L petrol is a pretty powerful engine compared to any 1.2Ltr engines powering most of sub-4m cars today. They dont have any 1.5 petrol for test drive and i guess they launched it namesake for showing cheap pricing !!

1 ltr Ecoboost is turbocharged and is fun to drive BUT comes with the typical turbo lag. I noticed that below 1500rpm, it feels just like any other 1.2 ltr petrol engine from Swift/i20/Brio etc. Post 1500 your ride becomes fun.

I noticed 10.8Kmpl on the MID of Ecoboost. If we were to believe their 20% extra mileage claim, then normal 1.5ltr should only return 8-9kmpl max. may be 10 if you drive light footed. Even with Ecoboost, dont expect miracles when it comes to mileage. 10-12 is the range i would be happy with it. highways it can give 15ish may be. Diesel can give you 15-16kmpl in city.