Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2013, 22:54   #2701
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Saisrujan and Condor have already summed it up nicely. If someone is going for a higher car variant without airbags and abs, when a lower segment car is available with (at least) front driver and passenger airbags, then it's definitely 'other interests' over safety.

Just to quote my example, earlier in the year I was considering getting my wife a small, economical to run diesel hatchback within a strict budget of 4 lakhs. Main requirement were air-conditioning with heater and front 2 airbags & abs. Because I couldn't find one such car, I simply didn't buy anything else.
I didn't insist that my Fabia have the front 2 airbags but knowing what it will save me from when it is required, I simply will not buy any 4 wheeler that does not have airbags and abs.
Old 17th July 2013, 23:39   #2702
BHPian

I was in the same dilemma a month ago when I had pre booked trend diesel. I was very sure about my requirement of ABS but was not too particular on airbag. I realised that there is nothing more important than safety and changed my booking to titanium even though I will have to stand in the queue again and stretch my budget. I feel very satisfied with my decision.
Titanium otherwise also is loaded to the brim with a lot of additional features over trend.

Last edited by sunilg33 : 17th July 2013 at 23:45.
sunilg33 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 10:36   #2703
BHPian

I was also on the same dilemma which was to either buy the XUV500 W6 or Ford Ecosport Titanium (O). XUV500 W6 itself was a very severe stretch of my budget and hence was not able to go for W8 model which had all the safety features i liked and wanted.

Thus i had booked a Ecosport compromising on space for better security which meant the all round airbags and high strength boron steel (note: I have no clue what steel or otherwise is used in XUV, maybe it is as strong) which compared to the W6 model and happy with my decision. Hence i will go with other members inputs that it is better to go with lower segment with more safety features that higher segment with less safety features.
Aceman82 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 10:37   #2704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilg33 View Post
I was in the same dilemma a month ago when I had pre booked trend diesel. I was very sure about my requirement of ABS but was not too particular on airbag. I realised that there is nothing more important than safety and changed my booking to titanium even though I will have to stand in the queue again and stretch my budget. I feel very satisfied with my decision.
Titanium otherwise also is loaded to the brim with a lot of additional features over trend.
That's a great decision and one you will not regret making. Only hope you'll never have to be in a position that requires deployment of the airbag. Applaud you for considering the importance of safety over savings.

And your right. Titanium is well kitted for its price and not many 'feature' differences between Titanium and Titanium (o). I like the Titanium (O) simply because at 10.25L on road for the EcoBoost engine (b'luru), I get a good vehicle with 6 airbags (and of course abs). Good variant and great value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman82 View Post
I was also on the same dilemma which was to either buy the XUV500 W6 or Ford Ecosport Titanium (O). XUV500 W6 itself was a very severe stretch of my budget and hence was not able to go for W8 model which had all the safety features i liked and wanted.

Thus i had booked a Ecosport compromising on space for better security which meant the all round airbags and high strength boron steel (note: I have no clue what steel or otherwise is used in XUV, maybe it is as strong) which compared to the W6 model and happy with my decision. Hence i will go with other members inputs that it is better to go with lower segment with more safety features that higher segment with less safety features.
Excellent and heartening to see you opted for the 'right' kind of compromise. Well done sir. At the very least, you'll have total peace of mind whenever you and your family are on the road (also you get to benefit from the Emergency Assist' feature on the top 2 variants of Ford EcoSport).

Generally, people in India should start thinking and considering that our roads are a lot unsafe (or becoming that) and safety is required not just based on how we drive but to accommodate everyone else's mistakes, errors and stupidity (yeah, unfortunately).

Last edited by k_ajay : 18th July 2013 at 10:48. Reason: Adding a last statement.
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 10:42   #2705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
I like the Titanium (O) simply because at 10.25L on road (b'luru), I get a good vehicle with 6 airbags (and of course abs). Good variant and great value.
Titanium itself sells at 10.8L in Bangalore. I never checked the prices for Titanium(o) but i am sure it is more than 11L.

Is that a typo ? did you mean 11.25L ?
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 10:45   #2706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg25 View Post
. But given the delays in the Auto and uncertainty on delivery dates with some quoting as long as 9 months
If you must get an automatic, you might want to look at the City AT or VW GT. Both these cars are superior in the engine department. If it has to be a Ford automatic, get the Fiesta. It should be possible get one off the shelf. The same engine and twin clutch gearbox is available in the Fiesta and should be a more spirited drive than the Eco Sport.
Old 18th July 2013, 10:46   #2707
Senior - BHPian

Carwale is already listing 2 Ford EcoSport Titanium 1.5 TDCi (Opt) for sale (done 15 Kms.) Shady deals or what

http://www.carwale.com/used/ford-ecosport-cars/
Old 18th July 2013, 10:50   #2708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Titanium itself sells at 10.8L in Bangalore. I never checked the prices for Titanium(o) but i am sure it is more than 11L.

Is that a typo ? did you mean 11.25L ?
Hello sir. My bad, I missed to mention I was referring to the EcoBoost engine variant. Had the chance to edit my post as well. EcoBoost equipped Titanium (O) can be had for 10.25L on-road B'luru. Thanks for the timely point-out.

Diesel of course, is higher and yes, Titanium (O) sells for more than 11L (11.2L I'm guessing).
Old 18th July 2013, 10:57   #2709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
a family may select if for it's better than sedan/hatch ground clearance or water wading or rough road capability over a sedan or a hatch with greater number of airbags though they may not really be selecting looks over safety. Higher seating also does make driving easier in traffic and hence safer if one is not going to do crazy speeds. Just may be another way of buying/selecting vehicles differently and yet responsibly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport View Post
Two scenarios:

1) Out-of-pocket purchase: What do you intend to do with the money you save? Going to park it in the bank as FD/MF? How important is 2.3L plus interest important to your life? Is 2.3L worth a small risk to you and your family's safety? if yes, but the Ambiente. Else the Titanium (O)

2) Loan: Would the extra monthly EMI hurt your monthly expenses? Could the extra expense lead you to poverty? Yes? Get the Ambient. Else get the Titanium (O).
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Well, if you want to gift him ABS, you could go ahead ! Who am I to complain ?

Ouch! I agree that i deserve all the brick bat guys but then again I guess my heart won over my head when i made my final choice. I am currently driving a 1 year old Santro & booked the ecosport in spite of knowing that the santro is too new to be replaced. Still i just could not resist the temptation. In my mind this is only for city driving & i am a very sedate driver (read my signature). For highways we have bigger vehicles at home and I intend to replace the Santro only. In that sense this is definitely safer and better for me considering the roads i drive. (So i trying to convince myself).

Having said that I know you are right & i do deserve to be beaten up. I did try asking if there was a Trend version today but then looks like the VIN (Yippee! its a July 2013 manufactured ecosport) has been allotted to me already and no more changes are possible. So looks like its the 1.5D Ambient only & i should get it next week. I am only happy about one thing in the Ambient - It does not have the flashy chrome grill upfront. So no more regrets! I am waiting to get my hands on the ecosport.
Old 18th July 2013, 11:16   #2710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
If you must get an automatic, you might want to look at the City AT or VW GT. Both these cars are superior in the engine department. If it has to be a Ford automatic, get the Fiesta. It should be possible get one off the shelf. The same engine and twin clutch gearbox is available in the Fiesta and should be a more spirited drive than the Eco Sport.
Wifey wants an SUV feel so all those low lying cars are out.
Old 18th July 2013, 11:34   #2711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post

Ouch! I agree that i deserve all the brick bat guys but then again I guess my heart won over my head when i made my final choice. I am currently driving a 1 year old Santro & booked the ecosport in spite of knowing that the santro is too new to be replaced. Still i just could not resist the temptation. In my mind this is only for city driving & i am a very sedate driver (read my signature). For highways we have bigger vehicles at home and I intend to replace the Santro only. In that sense this is definitely safer and better for me considering the roads i drive. (So i trying to convince myself).

Having said that I know you are right & i do deserve to be beaten up. I did try asking if there was a Trend version today but then looks like the VIN (Yippee! its a July 2013 manufactured ecosport) has been allotted to me already and no more changes are possible. So looks like its the 1.5D Ambient only & i should get it next week. I am only happy about one thing in the Ambient - It does not have the flashy chrome grill upfront. So no more regrets! I am waiting to get my hands on the ecosport.
Eventhough I don't agree with your reasons for going with ambiente, I do agree that we are forced to draw a line some where regarding the budget.
Its not right to estimate the cost of safety features like Abs and Airbags but still we end up doing it, otherwise I dont see any reason why some of us who have booked Titanium did not opt for the titanium-O.
Surprising you don't like the front chrome grill, I just love it.
Old 18th July 2013, 11:55   #2712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Carwale is already listing 2 Ford EcoSport Titanium 1.5 TDCi (Opt) for sale (done 15 Kms.) Shady deals or what

http://www.carwale.com/used/ford-ecosport-cars/
Its the same car listed by different people (?). Its already been broken in with a couple of scuff marks on the front bumper !

Quote:
I actually considered this since I won't be able to wait for very long. However, the close to 2 lakh price difference between the two (fiesta and ecosport) on road in Mumbai makes the ecosport worthwhile in my opinion. I already have a polo 1.6, so that rules the GT out.

The ecosport also gets tiptronic, which the fiesta does not - something that is a deal breaker for me.

Last edited by swale84 : 18th July 2013 at 11:57.
Old 18th July 2013, 13:21   #2713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
However, the close to 2 lakh price difference between the two (fiesta and ecosport) on road in Mumbai makes the ecosport worthwhile in my opinion. I already have a polo 1.6, so that rules the GT out.
Woah....2lacs!. Now that is not worth at all. The Eco Sport does offer more room and better quality interior appointments. Check with the dealer if they have a 2012 Fiesta. They might chop over a lac off the price. It is still expensive but makes a better case.

I say sell the Polo and get the GT. Check with VW for exchange benefits.

I was not particularly excited with the engine performance in the Fiesta automatic. To me, it felt like a dud. In the Eco Sport, it could be worse. I do not consider the Eco Sport AT to be a good buy. It is not the gearbox that is the problem. The 1.5l engine is lazy.

If you must buy a sedan automatic, nothing beats the Honda City.
Old 18th July 2013, 13:46   #2714
BHPian

Quote:
Woah....2lacs!. Now that is not worth at all. The Eco Sport does offer more room and better quality interior appointments. Check with the dealer if they have a 2012 Fiesta. They might chop over a lac off the price. It is still expensive but makes a better case.
Don't want the Fiesta even at a 1 lakh premium.

Quote:
I say sell the Polo and get the GT. Check with VW for exchange benefits.
I need two cars, so the ecosport will share my garage with the polo. Two new cars will be a bit much.

Quote:
I was not particularly excited with the engine performance in the Fiesta automatic. To me, it felt like a dud. In the Eco Sport, it could be worse. I do not consider the Eco Sport AT to be a good buy. It is not the gearbox that is the problem. The 1.5l engine is lazy.
I drove the fiesta automatic after a month of living with the Vento AT. I quite liked the fiesta. I've realised that one's driving style needs to change slightly to get the best out of an auto box and with my newly honed AT skills, I enjoyed the drive in the fiesta more than the Vento for sure.

Also, having tiptronic makes the drive a lot more engaging - my daily drive to work involves a ghat section and the tiptronic is really helpful here. This alone rules out the fiesta for me.

Quote:
If you must buy a sedan automatic, nothing beats the Honda City.
It's a personal preference, but the city just doesn't appeal to me. If i bought a car based purely on needs and not wants, I'd probably be OK with an A star automatic as well.
Old 18th July 2013, 13:58   #2715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
It's a personal preference, but the city just doesn't appeal to me. If i bought a car based purely on needs and not wants, I'd probably be OK with an A star automatic as well.
I understand. However; if it is strong engine performance, the City beats the Fiesta/Eco Sport AT hollow. I feel Ford have wasted what is otherwise an excellent twin clutch gear box. My first car was a Ford and I wanted my new car to be another Ford. The Fiesta was very disappointing even in manual guise. In comparison, the Eco Sport is incredible value for money. Now if only Ford India can figure out how to manufacture more of them so that waiting periods are not a concern.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks