Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2015, 19:17   #8791
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

My Ecosport TDCi has done 18k kms and i usually do not drive it as it is my dad's daily ride. Took it for a long drive today after almost 2 months and i noticed 2 issues with my car :

1. The brakes are shuddering when applied lightly at 80-90 km/h. Infact i found the brakes to be spongy. The brake pedal does not have any bite for the first few mm and then the brakes bite sharply. The shuddering could be brake rotor issue as i have faced this earlier with my Vento but what about the spongy brakes?

2. The steering was throwing a lot of road feedback. I could feel the steering move left/right when i hit a few potholes and this happened multiple times. Totally clueless on what is wrong here. The car is driven over pretty bad roads and sadly my father has a rough driving style.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 23:43   #8792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Im more keen on the ecoboost because of the higher power rating and much better rated mileage.
If budget is not a issue, buy ecoboost eyes closed. Won international engine of the year award, multiple times a row. Same engine technology is getting used in cars like DC Avanti and Ford GT. 0-100 in 11.xx secs. In global fiesta its 8.xx. True it will require more gear changes in stop and go traffic to keep it in power band, but once past that, there is no looking back. And did i mention it sounds like a mini V6

Quote:
I need to get enough reason to spend an additional 2l over the amaze vx for the titanium variant. I hate the amaze
I will give u enough reasons to make up for 2L money's worth
  • 5x Good quality 16' alloys VS 4x Avarage looking 14 inchers.
  • 205 profile tyres vs 175.
  • Awesome sounding stock audio with sync vs average one.
  • Much better build quality both inside and out vs cost cutting everywhere.
  • One of the best refined diesels vs one of the worst.
  • Proven 4 star NCAP rating VS a car not crash tested, sold only in India and Thailand, Honda wont dare to release these cheapo cars in Europe.
  • 6 airbags, leather seats, push button start.. vs climate control ? not there. Even a chevy beat used to have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
1. The brakes are shuddering when applied lightly at 80-90 km/h. Infact i found the brakes to be spongy. The brake pedal does not have any bite for the first few mm and then the brakes bite sharply. The shuddering could be brake rotor issue as i have faced this earlier with my Vento but what about the spongy brakes?

2. The steering was throwing a lot of road feedback. I could feel the steering move left/right when i hit a few potholes and this happened multiple times. Totally clueless on what is wrong here. The car is driven over pretty bad roads and sadly my father has a rough driving style.
1: Isn't that how its supposed to work ? When i need to slow down gradually i brake lightly and if i need to stop suddenly i brake hard for maximum bite.

2: Will your tyres travel straight if it hits the pothole? It may undulate laterally and same will be reflected in steering.
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 08:40   #8793
BHPian

Quote:
I need to get enough reason to spend an additional 2l over the amaze vx for the titanium variant. I hate the amaze
Check out this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-report.html
Old 24th April 2015, 09:29   #8794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Planing on booking a petrol ecosport for the family. ... And hows the driveability of the ecoboost? Not able to get a petrol test drive anywhere,though ive driven the NA petrol owned by a friend. Im more keen on the ecoboost because of the higher power rating and much better rated mileage.
Quote:
Running on an average shouldnt be over 500-600kms a month.. .... this is more intended for a city runabout, which will be used for the elder people, so high seating is very important. For some reason, the other option is an amaze petrol, with relatively high seating and being sub 4m.
The following link would vividly answer your concerns.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...rt-10-ecoboost

Last edited by rajeev k : 24th April 2015 at 09:31.
Old 24th April 2015, 11:04   #8795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The following link would vividly answer your concerns.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...rt-10-ecoboost
From the link:

Quote:
That suspension overhaul also included better tyres, firmer springs and spring aids, new dampers and a new torsion beam for the rear axle. A more direct steering gear has been fitted, and both the power steering and ESP software has been retuned. Twenty individual steps were taken to improve suspension and engine refinement, and friction has been taken out of the transmission.
Quote:
Where the old Ecosport had a conspicuous lack of grip, a noisy ride, limp and fragile handling and fairly crude mechanical refinement, the updated one feels firmly suspended, quite closely controlled over bumps, more directionally responsive and much more secure in its adhesion to the road.
And no spare at the back.

I hope Ford launches the updated Ecosport here. After all, the European Ecosport is built in India.
Old 24th April 2015, 14:53   #8796
BHPian

Hi Folks,

My Ecosport TDCi is 12500kms done and there is this strange thing I noticed last week:

There is a strange sound after I accelerate and leave the accelerator (An extra unheard sound)

So for example if the car is stationary and press the accelerator pedal , the normal rev sound comes and when it is about to die out, theres an extra sound which comes.

I took my car to the service centre and showed the service advisor this.

Although he accepted its a stange unwanted sound, but he could not identify what was causing it.

He advised me to use the car for more time and wait for the sound to increase so that they could identify it?!

Has anyone else experienced the same? Please advise !
Old 24th April 2015, 18:03   #8797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girish.purswani View Post
Hi Folks,

My Ecosport TDCi is 12500kms done and there is this strange thing I noticed last week:

There is a strange sound after I accelerate and leave the accelerator (An extra unheard sound)

So for example if the car is stationary and press the accelerator pedal , the normal rev sound comes and when it is about to die out, theres an extra sound which comes.

Although he accepted its a stange unwanted sound, but he could not identify what was causing it.

He advised me to use the car for more time and wait for the sound to increase so that they could identify it?!

Has anyone else experienced the same? Please advise !
Nothing of this sort has happened with mine and its at 38k.
Its better to get it rectified than to wait for the sound to increase.

Last edited by sunilg33 : 24th April 2015 at 18:05.
Old 24th April 2015, 18:10   #8798
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Folks,

This sound should be there from day 1. It's like a drone or humming sound. It's heard more when you leave the accelerator although you can hear when accelerating also.

I believe the sound is the fuel pump and it's very normal in all Ecosport.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 19:44   #8799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Although he accepted its a strange unwanted sound, but he could not identify what was causing it.
This appears to be the stock answer by all dealer service personnel. I had a problem of jerky movement when re-accelerating after slowing down. I was also advised to run for more time and to watch.
The Ford Dealer Service personnel are found wanting when it comes to trouble shooting and problem solving. They are good only for routine inspection, oil changing etc.

Last edited by rajeev k : 24th April 2015 at 19:46.
Old 24th April 2015, 20:25   #8800
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
For the spongy feel that you are experiencing, try getting the brakes bled once. Should solve the spongy feel and get the correct brake bite back.
Old 24th April 2015, 21:12   #8801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
I1: Isn't that how its supposed to work ? When i need to slow down gradually i brake lightly and if i need to stop suddenly i brake hard for maximum bite.
Not really, there is a spongy feel to the brake pedal and i think it is some thing to do with brake fluid. The brakes are not like this in other cars.

Quote:
2: Will your tyres travel straight if it hits the pothole? It may undulate laterally and same will be reflected in steering.
It is not that simple buddy, i own other cars as well and one of them is the 2014 Fiesta which shares similar parts, this steering movement is not there in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
For the spongy feel that you are experiencing, try getting the brakes bled once. Should solve the spongy feel and get the correct brake bite back.
Thanks Anurag, Ford does change the brake fluid at 20k and the service will be shortly due so will get it changed and see if it improves.
Old 25th April 2015, 17:02   #8802
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning to buy this in a month or so. Comments please.

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-925823514_431.jpg

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-automobile2pledhidxenonheadlightsdoubleustylesfontbheadlampsbfonthernia.jpg

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-ford-ecosport-eagle-eye2.jpg
Old 25th April 2015, 17:11   #8803
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
IIRC, one BHPian already has this on the EcoSport.

Looks great and suits the car well. Try looking at the DRL on the fog lamps of the type you posted a picture of (pic 3) .

Last edited by a4anurag : 25th April 2015 at 17:30.
Old 25th April 2015, 17:25   #8804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
IIRC, one BHPian already had this on the EcoSport.

Looks great and suits the car well. Try looking at the DRL on the fog lamps of the type you posted a picture of (pic 3) .
That would be me.

They are excellent and no issues reported so far. However, note that the high/low beam is not as effective as stock. Also, you might have to adjust the angles a couple of times before you are satisfied.

Cheers,
Saurabh
Old 25th April 2015, 19:06   #8805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

Attachment 1364190

Attachment 1364191

Attachment 1364192
I've had my eyes on these for a while now. The other day I saw a white Ecosport 'sporting' these, parked at Koovapadam, on my way to a wedding. It looked quite snazzy.
The only fly in the ointment is the warranty being void (for the electricals?) if you fix these.

I've had my eyes on these for a while now. The other day I saw a white Ecosport 'sporting' these, parked at Koovapadam, on my way to a wedding. It looked quite snazzy.
The only fly in the ointment is the warranty being void (for the electricals?) if you fix these.
@DesertRat - you mean to say these are less effective than the stock lamps? Then what is the point in changing to these?

MODS - can you merge this post with my previous one? These was some issue with my multi quote/edit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDesertRat View Post
That would be me.

They are excellent and no issues reported so far. However, note that the high/low beam is not as effective as stock. Also, you might have to adjust the angles a couple of times before you are satisfied.

Cheers,
Saurabh

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th April 2015 at 19:18.

Most Viewed