Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2018, 02:44   #11701
BHPian
 
pixantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 705
Thanked: 869 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Roy has a point here. They've put on Labour charges right left and center! And most of the parts have nothing to do with the water pump, like the coolant overflow container etc. Seems like they're replacing everything around the engine, almost. About the seals and gaskets etc, can't say because the eecoboost is compact and possibly complex to work-on engine. I wouldn't be surprised if they have to open up almost the whole engine for this job. But still, this bill is just stretching things too much. Seems downright ridiculous to me. You should double check with Ford higher up and keep your voice high while doing so. They're charging almost 10% of the cars showroom price to replace a water pump, if I'm not mistaken! That's not done and you shouldn't let it go.
pixantz is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2018, 21:28   #11702
Senior - BHPian
 
Desmosedici's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,410
Thanked: 425 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

My wiper fluid pipe has got bitten by rats and the water is not spraying. Can anyone suggest if this is a diy. I tried to look under the hood but not sure where to connect the pipe.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2018, 12:18   #11703
BHPian
 
rambo1o1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Goa
Posts: 491
Thanked: 298 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Indeed - 14 washers!
Also - isn't Bonderite a Sealant itself?
And the labour charges billed here are like - "I consult a physician for sore throat and fever, for which he charges a 1000 buck consultation. Then goes on to charge me extras for checking my temperature, looking at the sore throat, checking the lungs etc etc." You get the drift?
Challenge them on this.................
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Roy has a point here. They've put on Labour charges right left and center! And most of the parts have nothing to do with the water pump, like the coolant overflow container etc. Seems like they're replacing everything around the engine, almost. ............... They're charging almost 10% of the cars showroom price to replace a water pump, if I'm not mistaken! That's not done and you shouldn't let it go.
My issue has been satisfactorily resolved. I got the car yesterday from the service center.

I was dealing with Ford customer care mostly via phone and email. I raised a complaint on 09/07/2018. After four days Ford got back to me saying they would cover only the cost of the water pump itself, 12,900/-as a goodwill gesture. The balance i would have to pay(35,000/-). Now my uncles car is 3 years and 3 months old and covered just 20k km.

I refused this and got in touch with both the Dealer's workshop manager and Ford customer care and told them politely that i wouldn't take the car by paying so much.
In the meantime i got to know from my SA that there was a TSB for the ecoboost regarding coolant leakage from the water pump. The SA told me that my car was inspected during warranty but they dint find any leaks,hence they couldn't do anything.I did not get to see the physical copy of the TSB.

While i was discussing with the SA, the customer care guy called me up saying that Ford will cover about 38,000/- out of the approx 48,000/- estimate and i would have to pay an exact figure of 10,000/-
Safe to say i was very pleased with this outcome and gave my approval.

Regarding the cost of parts and labour in my previous post, The dealer had replaced the coolant expansion tank since according to him the tank was leaking. So separate labour cost for that and apparently the cost to remove the engine block from the body is about 5k rupees, they need a special tool of which only two exist in this particular dealership!

I was also shown on the service manual exactly what parts were accessed/removed to replace the water pump and from what i can remember, For the ecboost, the entire engine block has to be removed to access the water pump.So some washers here and there are recommended by ford to be one time use(1k cost for each washer!),hence the hight cost!!


Overall very satisfied with the response from both the dealer and Ford customer care.
And for any future or current Ecoboost owners under warranty, Please get the extended warranty if you can, alot of the smaller parts like bolts and washers are imported from europe! hence the high cost ! Locally built 1.5 petrol and diesel have cheaper parts.

regards
rambo1o1 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2018, 13:55   #11704
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 105
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

I have a query. My kid complains the whenever his leg comes in contact with the passenger side of the gear box setup [in my Ecosport AT,] becomes very hot even after driving only for few kms. My wife says only off late this is the case and previously she never felt it. Any idea on what is wrong. I think it is better to have an idea before i go to the service center.
vennarbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2018, 07:15   #11705
Senior - BHPian
 
speedmiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,647
Thanked: 1,844 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Drove from Bangalore to Mysore today early morning. Since I was carrying very delicate and large glassware, had to drive slowly. Kept my speeds between 70-80KMPH.

I had reset the MID before I left from my place in Bangalore. My parents place in Mysore is exactly 150Kms (149.92KMs) from my place in Bangalore.

This is the end FE after the drive as per the MID.

It took me 2hr 46mins including a 5 min fuel stop to complete the distance.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img_20180728_06351014401.jpg  

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img_20180728_06345560301.jpg  

speedmiester is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2018, 23:50   #11706
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 128
Thanked: 146 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vennarbank View Post
I have a query. My kid complains the whenever his leg comes in contact with the passenger side of the gear box setup [in my Ecosport AT,] becomes very hot even after driving only for few kms. My wife says only off late this is the case and previously she never felt it. Any idea on what is wrong. I think it is better to have an idea before i go to the service center.
It was during my recent drive to Indore when my mom pointed out that the area near gearbox is pretty hot. This was the first time I took notice of this and not sure if we should be bothered about it. I drove over 1300 kms during this trip and had no issues but we will have to wait and see what others have to say about it. Mine is EcoBoost.
k.sumit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2018, 19:57   #11707
BHPian
 
dpkbehera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Hyderabad, Pune
Posts: 358
Thanked: 226 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

A stupid question from a noob..I was just trying to workout the basics of changing the tyres on my Ford Ecosport. The rear tyre was in the air after applying the jack. However the wheel was not spinning. Only the parking brake was applied and the car was not on gear . Is this the case or i simply just missed noticing that the car was on gear as well.
dpkbehera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2018, 21:07   #11708
BHPian
 
SCORPION's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 420
Thanked: 1,378 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
A stupid question from a noob..I was just trying to workout the basics of changing the tyres on my Ford Ecosport. The rear tyre was in the air after applying the jack. However the wheel was not spinning. Only the parking brake was applied and the car was not on gear . Is this the case or i simply just missed noticing that the car was on gear as well.
Parking brakes are preventing your rear wheels from spinning. It is advisable to leave the car in gear while changing tyres or at least have stones wedged on to the other tyres to prevent the car rolling off the jack causing injury to you.

Your Ecosport is a front wheel drive and the gears only lock the front wheels. Parking brakes are normally for the rear wheels and that is why you find your rear wheels not spinning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.sumit View Post
It was during my recent drive to Indore when my mom pointed out that the area near gearbox is pretty hot. This was the first time I took notice of this and not sure if we should be bothered about it. I drove over 1300 kms during this trip and had no issues but we will have to wait and see what others have to say about it. Mine is EcoBoost.
The engine and gearbox in your Ecosport is transversely mounted and inside the engine bay. There is no way you can gauge your gearbox temperature from inside the cabin.

I suppose you mean the area near your gear lever? There is nothing running hot aft of your firewall other than your rear wheels, discs and brake pads. I don't think there is an issue here. Unless you can elaborate further.

Last edited by Samurai : 11th August 2018 at 22:08. Reason: b2b posts
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2018, 01:44   #11709
BHPian
 
Samfromindia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Kolkata - Pune
Posts: 432
Thanked: 1,198 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
I replaced my stock battery (43amps) with an Amaron flo 65 amps battery and recommend you the same
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Higher ampere translates to everything working for a longer time even when the engine is switched off.

I always felt that the 43Ah was never sufficient for my needs (charging phones, battery banks and I use a "Waeco"refrigerator too)
The new battery serves my purpose very well.

When you have to buy anything new why not buy the better one?
"Have it and not use it rather than need it and not have it"
The stock battery which i was using for 4 years 63K km was finally showing its age. Crank times were long, MID used to give mysterious errors like ABS malfunction and so on (Why they just cant give low battery warning ?) Finally one day it refused to start when i was out and had to jump start the car. That was the ultimatum and i finally decided to get a new battery.

I had two options: Get the Ford OEM one or Aftermarket. Ford was giving discounts on batteries as a part of their monsoon camp. The 43AH stock one was quoted as little as 3.8K. However i wanted to go for a better option as this is something i change in few years. Amaron FLO seem to be the choice for most people here so i headed to the nearest Amaron Pitstop center to get my battery replaced. The 55AH was quoted as 5k & 65 one as 5.5K with 5 year warranty & existing battery replacement. I wanted the 65AH but to my dismay i noticed it cannot be fitted in the compartment. I wonder how other people have fitted the 65AH one.

The battery compartment by default takes 43AH one. There is a plastic raiser which can be removed to make room for the 55Ah one. But in no way it can accommodate the 65 one without modification. So i opted for 55 one and everything was done within 10 mins.

Battery Compartment
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img_4331.jpg

Old OEM Battery
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img_4332.jpg

Removing the battery compartment raiser
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img_4333.jpg

New battery installed
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img_4334.jpg

Warranty Card
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img_4335.jpg

Something to note here is that the -ve terminal of Ecosport is hidden behind the battery cover which needs to be opened using screws. Only the +ve and ground is exposed. While there wont be a problem to jump start the car, it will be difficult to use Ecosport as a donor car especially if you are not carrying the tools to open the battery cover and expose the -ve terminal.
Samfromindia is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2018, 07:49   #11710
Distinguished - BHPian
 
arunphilip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,975
Thanked: 5,946 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vennarbank View Post
My kid complains the whenever his leg comes in contact with the passenger side of the gear box setup [in my Ecosport AT,] becomes very hot even after driving only for few kms. My wife says only off late this is the case and previously she never felt it. Any idea on what is wrong. I think it is better to have an idea before i go to the service center.
The gearbox itself is not present in the tunnel below the gearshift lever. Since the EcoSport (like many cars) is a front-engine front-wheel drive car, the gearbox is actually a transaxle that sits below and to the left of the engine, well away from the passenger compartment. See this picture for where the gearbox (a.k.a. transaxle) is actually located for all models of FWD EcoSport (AT/MT, diesel/petrol):

The gear lever that we operate with our hand communicates with the actual transaxle up front via cables. So whatever temperatures you feel are unrelated to your gearbox, rest easy.

If you feel heat coming from around the central tunnel below the gearshift lever, then you'd want to check the exhaust system, because that is what runs in the central tunnel. This heating is more pronounced if your car is idling a lot (e.g. stop and go traffic), because the lack of airflow means heat from the exhaust system tends to soak upwards into the passenger compartment (despite the extensive heat shielding that manufacturers use).

The exhaust plumbing that comes out of the engine (header + catalytic converter + plumbing) is fixed to the engine, the exhaust pipe that comes out of the back of the car is fixed to the body. These two sets of solid pipes are connected by a flexible pipe, to allow for engine movement to be isolated from the body movement. Have them take a look at this pipe as well for any damage/leaks in particular, apart from checking the entire length of the exhaust system. Also have them run a scan/diagnostics to see if any error codes were thrown by the car (e.g. O2 sensor errors, rich fuelling, exhaust temperature errors, etc.)

The below image is for an EcoSport diesel, but the layout is pretty much the same for the petrol engines as well. #1 is the catalytic converter fitted to the engine, #2 is the flexible pipe I'm referring to, #3 is the muffler near the rear of the car.
Name:  EcoSport Diesel Exhaust.jpg
Views: 3734
Size:  19.7 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.sumit View Post
It was during my recent drive to Indore when my mom pointed out that the area near gearbox is pretty hot. I drove over 1300 kms during this trip and had no issues but we will have to wait and see what others have to say about it. Mine is EcoBoost.
As above, this is the heat from the exhaust, not the gearbox. If it was felt as a one-off, not to worry (maybe something about that specific drive caused the heating), but if it recurs, you now know where to focus.

Bear in mind that the exhaust temperatures of petrol engines are much higher than that of diesel, which is why you notice this in your respective cars than someone with a diesel engine.
arunphilip is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2018, 10:13   #11711
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 105
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
The gear lever that we operate with our hand communicates with the actual transaxle up front via cables. So whatever temperatures you feel are unrelated to your gearbox, rest easy.
Arun, thanks a lot for taking time to clearly explain. Will surely let the ASS know about it when i take for yearly service next month.
vennarbank is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2018, 11:48   #11712
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 97
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

I had an experience and need some opinions. I gave my ecosport TDCi for the 80000 service. I normally take it myself , but for once I called the service center to collect it.
The car was returned in the evening. Next morning, as I drove to office, the car was badly jumping at the rear over even small speed breakers. I drove the 2 Km to the service center ( with stomach churning and neck hurting ) and as soon as the service advisor took it and drove 10 feet, he informed that the rear shocks were gone. We went for a test drive and he confirmed that was the problem. The car was hoisted up, the left rear shock removed and I was shown the shock and it bad. They also showed me the rear right and it was also not too good.
Then a long argument ensued with me asking how the car which was perfect until the previous day could get damaged shocks overnight. I argued that either their driver had damaged it or the car was damaged while in service. The SA countered that it was a routine service and there is no chance of damage.
Eventually they agreed to replace the left rear shock only at a discount and free labour (2000/-). I took the car back and the jumping was gone. But during the day I still felt the car was not proper so took it back the next day. They changed the rear right shock and bush (at no discount). The car felt better during the next few days. But I noticed that it was not as smooth as before. I went back to them after 5 days. They test drove at various speeds, various road conditions and confirmed that the car was perfect.
Since then I noticed that the car goes smoothly over speed breakers and potholes but on OK roads or concrete roads there is a constant upward jerking and vibrations under my seat. The seat vibrations feel like a kid is kicking below the seat. Also, previously, on bad roads the steering never vibrated, but now it shakes. There are also rattles that did not exist before.

What could have happened?
Is there any way the shocks can be damaged while in service?
Could the hoist have slipped with the car on it ?

Now since last three days I notice another problem. As I accelerate I can hear a whoosh sound. I checked on forums and it is possibly a leak in the intake pipe. The engine also vibrates if I raise the rpm when idle.

I am going to take it to the workshop , but I want to be be prepared with some advise.
Srinivas C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2018, 12:39   #11713
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ACM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,621
Thanked: 3,830 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srinivas C View Post
I had an experience and need some opinions. I gave my ecosport TDCi for the 80000 service. I normally take it myself , but for once I called the service center to collect it.
The car was returned in the evening. Next morning, as I drove to office, the car was badly jumping at the rear over even small speed breakers. I drove the 2 Km to the service center ( with stomach churning and neck hurting ) and as soon as the service advisor took it and drove 10 feet, he informed that the rear shocks were gone. We went for a test drive and he confirmed that was the problem. The car was hoisted up, the left rear shock removed and I was shown the shock and it bad. They also showed me the rear right and it was also not too good.
Then a long argument ensued with me asking how the car which was perfect until the previous day could get damaged shocks overnight. I argued that either their driver had damaged it or the car was damaged while in service. The SA countered that it was a routine service and there is no chance of damage.
Eventually they agreed to replace the left rear shock only at a discount and free labour (2000/-). I took the car back and the jumping was gone. But during the day I still felt the car was not proper so took it back the next day. They changed the rear right shock and bush (at no discount). The car felt better during the next few days. But I noticed that it was not as smooth as before. I went back to them after 5 days. They test drove at various speeds, various road conditions and confirmed that the car was perfect.
Since then I noticed that the car goes smoothly over speed breakers and potholes but on OK roads or concrete roads there is a constant upward jerking and vibrations under my seat. The seat vibrations feel like a kid is kicking below the seat. Also, previously, on bad roads the steering never vibrated, but now it shakes. There are also rattles that did not exist before.
By 80,000 kms
I was on 3rd set of premium tyres.
All 4 Shock Absorbers replaced
Engine Foundation replaced,
Rear Spring Pads replaced,
Tie Rods and Tie Rod Ends replaced,
Central Axel Bearing replaced. Steering bush replaced. Front Shock Mounting pads and bearings replaced.

I feel your car is due a complete suspension overhaul costing maybe 40-50k.

Ford service centres are reluctant to point out and replace stuff that reduce in performance over time to keep cost of ownership low.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2018, 18:31   #11714
BHPian
 
Blow Horn Ok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bokaro
Posts: 728
Thanked: 673 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Guys what is the tyre size of the 2015-16 EcoSport 1.5 diesel titanium (o) six airbags?
Blow Horn Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2018, 18:51   #11715
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,141
Thanked: 1,001 Times
Default Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Guys what is the tyre size of the 2015-16 EcoSport 1.5 diesel titanium (o) six airbags?
IIRC, before the Nov'2017 facelift, the Platinum version (=Titanium+ now) came with R17. All prior versions or titanium/titanium(o) variants came with R16. I may be wrong, but if this is incorrect, the owners can correct. Sorry!

-Ravi
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car for Parents: Hyundai Verna vs Ford EcoSport vs Ford Classic vs Maruti Ertiga iTNerd What Car? 60 12th October 2014 07:53
Ford EcoSport DIESEL Review GTO The Indian Car Scene 0 31st May 2013 11:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2019, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks