Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2019, 21:45   #11806
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Ecosport Engine Seized- Always heed the Check Engine Light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac View Post
Engine overhaul is needed , will cost 70k - 120k approx. Black smoke, drop in mileage, high oil consumption are current issues.
Quote:
I have the same problem , except that I religiously gave my car for service in FORD SVC everytime.
Sounds like a busted head gasket, at best, AFAIK. You can buy Ford original parts OTC, and get a FNG to do it. It's a pretty ordinary job and a good rebuild lasts equally well.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2019, 00:28   #11807
BHPian

Quote:
Engine overhaul is needed , will cost 70k - 120k approx.
They are being generic without particularly naming and pinpointing the issue and further down the line will use this Grey area detail to pile on all sorts of parts and/or Labour in the mix and reward you with a mile long bill.

Please ask them to be precise and name a definite issue and the invoice with what parts are needed to rectify the problem. It's not rocket science. Take the same and get it cross checked at an fng and you could be more clear about costs. The FASS may just put in new parts very calmly where a repair might be possible.

Major issues in a diesel mostly points out to component malfunctions in parts like Bosch pump, injectors, turbo, egr, head gasket, other head components, piston rings/cylinder sleeves, sensors/electronic parts. Now each one of these components are mostly expensive and most of them are 99%repairable/serviceable with the exception of some of them like the head gasket, cylinder sleeves, piston rings, sensors, injectors, are mostly needed to be replaced.

So there can be two ways that this issue can be dealt with by the concerned garage. One, by proper diagnosis and repair. And two, by a total rip-off. The end result would be the same for the car which will be back to its glory days but your pocket will become extremely light-weight if the wrong choice is made.

Just my two-and-a-half cents. Hope it helps.
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2019, 15:40   #11808
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post

Major issues in a diesel mostly points out to component malfunctions in parts like Bosch pump, injectors, turbo, egr, head gasket, other head components, piston rings/cylinder sleeves, sensors/electronic parts. Now each one of these components are mostly expensive and most of them are 99%repairable/serviceable with the exception of some of them like the head gasket, cylinder sleeves, piston rings, sensors, injectors, are mostly needed to be replaced.

Just my two-and-a-half cents. Hope it helps.
They have negated the Turbo charger , it's working fine. Also compression is 97%. Now, they are saying need to check the engine cylinder and dismount the whole assembly. I asked if there is a Half engine assembly which can be replaced instead of working on it, he said yes and it costs 85k. Cylinder assembly and pistons with rings. Clutch, gearbox , crank will be untouched.

I also enquired if I can get the 100ps cylinder block, as mine is 90ps (first gen) for which he said Ford also has eco boost which is 3 cylinder. I was like that's a petrol , but I'm talking about diesel. He did not know there was a 90 ps variant and now it's 100 ps across all TDCi engines. I wanted to talk someone(Service advisor)who actually knows their cars.

It's a long weekend , festival holidays here. So taking delivery and will be back after a week to diagnose the problem.

Fingers crossed.
Old 13th January 2019, 12:04   #11809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taha Mir View Post
My ecosport tdci (2013 model, odo 29k kms) has been facing clutch judder in first gear, starting from a standstill.
Couldn't live with this issue so i called up ford customer care, requesting goodwill warranty or some support, so they asked me to drop the car at FASS (fortune ford) for inspection. They opened up the clutch and shared its photos with Ford India. My SA said they got 50% support from ford but they pushed for more and eventually got 100%. So my clutch+ pp was replaced and the final bill was 102 rupees (consumables).
Overall very satisfied with the experience as I hadn't even opted for extended warranty.
Here are a few photos.

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img20190108wa0013.jpg

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img20190108wa0010.jpg

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img20190108wa0012.jpg

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-img20190108wa0011.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 13th January 2019 at 12:07. Reason: Formatted post
Taha Mir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 12:20   #11810
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,
I have a 2013 Tdci which has done 145k kms. Oil consumption is very high. 9 litres of oil filled in the last 8500 kms. Ford SVC says turbo is good and it could be cylinder head or pistons. Engine overhaul is needed , will cost 70k - 120k approx. Wondering if I should sell the car or do the service and use them for another 3 years. Black smoke, drop in mileage, high oil consumption are current issues.
TDCi engines shipped with ecosport in 2013 had oil consumption problems. It easily consumes 1 litre/1000k done.
I will refer to a few good technicians (really sound guys). PM me.
Old 21st January 2019, 18:21   #11811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
TDCi engines shipped with ecosport in 2013 had oil consumption problems. It easily consumes 1 litre/1000k done.
I will refer to a few good technicians (really sound guys). PM me.
As far as I know, this vehicle would need either an injector servicing/replace or piston rings replace, most probably. Engine normally needs to be taken out only if you've got to work on the cylinders or then full overhaul. Unless Ford has costlier procedures.....
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:38   #11812
BHPian

Dear Experts,

I have a 2014 Feb TDCi Titanium with 130000 kms on clock, the clutch seems to be little hard and never slipped even while driving on kodaikanal roads.

Is there any way we can do an overhaul (instead changing the stock clutch)

I also experience some noise in tailgate and not sure whether that can be fixed during service.

Please advice
Old 22nd January 2019, 12:42   #11813
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtraj View Post
I also experience some noise in tailgate and not sure whether that can be fixed during service.
Go to a service centre with a bodyshop in the same premises. I had the tailgate noise too; got fed up with it being un-rectified after two services. Escalated it to the service manager and he got someone to fix the tailgate lock setting. Been a year now, no noise.

But someone from the bodyshop would have to do it; I doubt the mechanics understand it.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 01:07   #11814
BHPian

Issue with ICE system:
The plethora of buttons on the Infotainment system work randomly. Sometimes they work normal and most of the time, except the volume control knob -> none of the buttons work. The volume control / track change buttons on the steering control as well function randomly. While increasing / reducing volumes, they change the track or switch between radio and CD. Same happens most of the times with the track change buttons as well. Also all of a sudden, the radio switches to CD mode on its own.

But guess what, the day I take it to a service center -> everything works normal with no issues

Issue with Automatic Day/Night dimming mirror:
The auto night mode is not working as it used to before. The lights on the night mode used to appear like dots earlier. Now the glare is just quite evident on the night mode mirror. I tried cleaning the mirror, sensor etc., but no luck.

Anyone else facing similar issues, please help.

Last edited by Eyas337 : 1st February 2019 at 01:09.
Old 7th February 2019, 10:37   #11815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtraj View Post
Dear Experts,

I have a 2014 Feb TDCi Titanium with 130000 kms on clock, the clutch seems to be little hard and never slipped even while driving on kodaikanal roads.

Is there any way we can do an overhaul (instead changing the stock clutch)

Please advice

Gave service to Hans Ford (Ayyapanthangal, Chennai) and they gave all kind of trouble to me and to my car.

The car was given for regular service 1,30,000 kms, tailgate noise and a rattle in A pillar RH side.

Day-1
------
Got the car back with broken strut, broken sunglass holder and greasy stain in A pillar. The car was literally jumping during drive
Day-2
------
After complaining to the ford Customer care, they took back the vehicle and fixed suspension and delivered. I drove the car and suspension was good.
Day-3
-------
Customer care executive from ford called me and updated that the sunglass holder cannot be replaced as the vehicle was received with broken holder. (This was the version from Veeraj (service Manager), Hans Ford). after the job order form sent to Ford customer care they went back to check with Hans Ford and ready to replace the sunglass holder @home
Day-4
------
ABS Malfunctioning Service now
Power Steering Malfunctioning service now.

Now, I suspect there would have been a rat bite in service center which triggered on Day-4 , With this I have a broken ecosport now !!

Experts, Is there a chance that the Rat bite happened a day before and triggered while i started from home ?
I post this question because, I park my vehicle inside my compound for the past 5 years with no rat bite happened.
I do not want to go to HANS ford again as i do not want to deal with unethical people.

Last edited by trtraj : 7th February 2019 at 10:39.
Old 9th February 2019, 15:08   #11816
BHPian

Hi everybody, i had earlier posted about high temperature problem in my 1.0L ecoboost ecosport in different thread.
I had been facing severe working of radiator fan even after switching off the engine.
Now let me share the experience that i had on 2nd January 2019 as i think it might help a lot of Ecoboost customers.
My Ecosport had done 1,00,000kms and for the last 30k odd kms i had been experiencing high working of radiator fan even while i was driving at cruising speed of 80kmph, it was so loud that i could hear it inside the cabin inspite of road noise and wind noise.
After complaining to Ford Service centre repeatedly they just topped up the coolant and cleaned the radiator and assured that it has been resolved.

Now, main problem started when i was sending my car for 1,00,000kms service.
On the way the engine seized up completely with a small amount of smoke from the bonnet. I towed the car to nearest Service centre and waited patently for 7-8 days for their reply.
On inspecting it completely the Ford guys told me that my engine was completely ruined and the only option with me was to replace the full engine along with ancillary parts, costing at roughly about 3,00,000.

I raised a complaint with Ford customer care and waited patiently for a week. In the meantime i got an official estimate of Rs.2,65,000 for new engine, cooling system and ancillary parts (this excludes the Turbo as Ford said that they found it OK on inspection, which i highly doubt ) including labour and taxes.

After a week of follow up i got a reply from Ford customer care stating that they will share 80% of the given estimate.
I again bargained and they agreed at 85% cost share from Ford. I agreed to it 2 days back and they have started to order parts for the same.

Now i came across this BBC article in another thread stating that Ford are compensating 100% for Ecoboost customers in UK who are facing engine failure.
After seeing this have again mailed Ford with the article screenshot and am awaiting response.

I would like to let all of you that if your Ecoboost engine is behaving abnormally and your radiator fan is working over time then don't ignore it and don't listen to stupid explanation of Service people. It can very well lead to situation like what i am facing and you can end up paying a lot for it.

As you can see from my experience that Ford India are very well aware of this problem thats the reason they have willingly offered to pay 85% without me chasing them badly.
I hope this post could help other customers.

P.S:- I have always sent my Ecosport to ASC for routine services at regular 10,000kms interval.

Note to Mods:- I know that this post was best suited for Thread " Ford EcoBoost 1.0L overhearing woes" but i posted it here as i wanted more number of people to get to know about it so that it can help a larger audience. If you feel that it should be moved then kindly do so.
sidenzo is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 22:07   #11817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
Interesting, the first time I got the fuel warning was in Oct 2018 i.e. 5 years after the car purchase. The Service center somehow managed to erase the warning giving silly reasons of bad fuel and battery (which was just replaced in Apr2018 after the ABS warning). Last week when I received the car after the regular service, the warning was lit again. The service team mentioned it was a battery issue and should get resolved by running the car (or charging). Next day the warning had disappeared. Not sure how to differentiate between a genuine warning vs. a fake one.
Two days ago during the heavy rains in Bangalore, the water in fuel warning lit up again. It seems to be some issue with the diesel filter or wiring. Just drove normally through the heavy rain. Reached the destination and 3 hours later restarted the car to find the warning had disappeared. Same had happened during the rains in Oct2018.
Old 20th February 2019, 21:19   #11818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidenzo View Post
On inspecting it completely the Ford guys told me that my engine was completely ruined and the only option with me was to replace the full engine along with ancillary parts, costing at roughly about 3,00,000.
That's a horrific experience and as far as my knowledge goes, yours may well be the first case of engine failure in India. Haven't seen anybody else reporting this. As someone who owns the same engine, it worries me a lot thinking about what I could end up with. Can you share some more details of your vehicle and if you saw the coolant level go down before the engine gave up? Do you see any punctured hoses or pipes that controls the flow of coolant? Looking at some reports online, it seems that the main cause of this issue is coolant entering the combustion chamber which results in cracks around the cylinder. Another issue with the EcoBoost is GDI which eventually leads to carbon buildup on intake valves and we cant even prevent it since walnut blasting is nowhere to be found in India. The only way out would be to disassemble and clean them manually Please do keep us posted about the status of your vehicle.
Old 20th February 2019, 22:00   #11819
BHPian

I think it's been mentioned before on this thread about the eecoboost engine woes and prospective buyers should essentially avoid this specimen as it has overheating issues all around the world even in home country America with all iterations of Eecoboost. Further reason could be the fact that this mill is imported from abroad and though Ford may repair/service it for you, an engine failure situation is pretty much as bad as it can get for the owner.

It might be worth knowing that Ford has honored full replacements in the US. Please read up folks who have the said engine. Hope this helps.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 13:39   #11820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.sumit View Post
Can you share some more details of your vehicle and if you saw the coolant level go down before the engine gave up? Do you see any punctured hoses or pipes that controls the flow of coolant? Looking at some reports online, it seems that the main cause of this issue is coolant entering the combustion chamber which results in cracks around the cylinder. Another issue with the EcoBoost is GDI which eventually leads to carbon buildup on intake valves and we cant even prevent it since walnut blasting is nowhere to be found in India. The only way out would be to disassemble and clean them manually Please do keep us posted about the status of your vehicle.
Ya every time i sent the car for routine service the coolant was always was below the minimum level. I used to tell the service centre to look into it as the radiator also used to work overtime as i mentioned in my post, but everytime they just use to top up ad clean the radiator.
Only once was a very small leak discovered deep down in a small hose connected to engine, it was just some drops of pink dried up. But as that particular hose was not a common problem they didn't have spare for it and was asked to be ordered for 3 months delivery. But the service centre were very sure that it wasn't any problem as it was a very very small leak.
sidenzo is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed