Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2013, 19:09   #2581
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I think EcoSport fans are being overly defensive about the toppling incidents. Given the hype surrounding the car, it is inevitable that any potential flaws would also be scrutinised thoroughly by the media and others. Nobody would be talking about the stability of EcoSport if two cars hadn't toppled even before customer deliveries began.

Driver error could've played a part in both incidents. However, shifting all blame to drivers doesn't seem alright. Do keep in mind that prospective customers TDing cars at high speeds is not uncommon or exclusive to EcoSport.
If you go back a few pages, you would see that I was one of the first to express concern over the toppling issues. If it continues to happen, I would definitely be cancelling my booking.

What gets my goat is the attempt to dismiss the car outright before having a clear picture about how the toppling happened. And then there is some fiction added by some members. Sure toppling is a concern, and we are all watching, but please don't compare it with Dzire and i20.

Last edited by ecosport : 13th July 2013 at 19:11.
Old 13th July 2013, 19:16   #2582
BHPian

Ford EcoSport : Official Review-image485050263.jpg

Just got back from Elite ford Marathahalli, most of the models have crossed 10 months waiting period. Attached is the notice bias from the dealership, look at the 12 months for AT, incredible; are people willing to wait for a car for one year :(.
Looks like they are getting 4 AT cars per quarter, can that be true?
Old 13th July 2013, 19:21   #2583
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport View Post
Those who think that you can create an SUV by jacking up the suspension are, well as I said in a previous post, not wanting to be rude, ignorant.
Nicely said. A monocoque SUV or Crossover is far more than just a raised suspension job.
They are a good innovation and make such excellent sense for Indian conditions. I always feel pleased with my Yeti when I encounter one of these horrid trenches and speed breakers that Bangalore is famous for.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 19:25   #2584
BHPian

Quote:
If you go back a few pages, you would see that I was one of the first to express concern over the toppling issues. If it continues to happen, I would definitely be cancelling my booking.

What gets my goat is the attempt to dismiss the car outright before having a clear picture about how the toppling happened. And then there is some fiction added by some members. Sure toppling is a concern, and we are all watching, but please don't compare it with Dzire and i20.
First of all how can you compare Dzire & i20. i20 handles like a boat but only a few of you in Team Bhp would say Dzire is not a great handler. Sure its not as good as the swift but even the old Dzire could tackle curves with confidence, the new one is much better.

I am talking from my personal experience, sure I only spent 30 mins driving the EcoSport but I drove it around enough bends and twists during that 30 mins to qualify my statement. Figo is miles better and even the Swift Twins handle better.

Now I don't know if you've noticed other reviews in Magazines but all of them were disappointed with the steering and called the Duster a much better handling car.

Just my 2 cents and my opinion feel free to disagree.

Last edited by quadbike : 13th July 2013 at 19:27.
quadbike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 19:35   #2585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post

First of all how can you compare Dzire & i20. i20 handles like a boat but only a few of you in Team Bhp would say Dzire is not a great handler. Sure its not as good as the swift but even the old Dzire could tackle curves with confidence, the new one is much better.

I am talking from my personal experience, sure I only spent 30 mins driving the EcoSport but I drove it around enough bends and twists during that 30 mins to qualify my statement. Figo is miles better and even the Swift Twins handle better.

Now I don't know if you've noticed other reviews in Magazines but all of them were disappointed with the steering and called the Duster a much better handling car.

Just my 2 cents and my opinion feel free to disagree.
No magazine/publication will declare a car an outright winner. There is never a clear winner but one vehicle just edges out the other by a close margin. I would trust my own judgments rather than read about them in a magazine.
Old 13th July 2013, 19:47   #2586
BHPian

Regarding the waiting period,

I just got back from AVK Ford in Powai, Mumbai.
The SA told me that the waiting period for the Diesel Titanium (O) is around 3-4 months. I am a slight agitated about waiting for 4 months, but, I would still consider booking the car.

I'm just a bit fretful because the SA might be lying to get my booking and the waiting period is indeed 6 months +.

Any thoughts?
Old 13th July 2013, 20:39   #2587
Senior - BHPian

There is mention of an Overdrive review on the web of the automatic Ecosport that has barely crossed 5,000 kilometers and has begun to rattle badly, the whole Ecosport thing is turning into a roller coaster ride with different bits of information trickling in. Guess one should follow the Sachin Tendulkar principle, don't read anything about the Ecosport, just go there and buy it
Old 13th July 2013, 21:16   #2588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
There is mention of an Overdrive review on the web of the automatic Ecosport that has barely crossed 5,000 kilometers and has begun to rattle badly, the whole Ecosport thing is turning into a roller coaster ride with different bits of information trickling in. Guess one should follow the Sachin Tendulkar principle, don't read anything about the Ecosport, just go there and buy it
And that same journalist is brilliant enough to find the boot to be a bit small for an SUV. Since he considers ecosport as an SUV where as its obviously a compact/urban/mini SUV. I am sure we should take feedback from such people.

I am certain I did write earlier somewhere in this thread that no journalist/magazine
was saying the steering is dead (unlike ford). No one said that the clutch has vibrations in TDCi except Tbhp. I would trust the reviewers here than at any other place.
niks_devil666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 21:17   #2589
BANNED

Had booked the car on the 5th of July. Was told that the booking would finally enter the system on Tuesday.
Had been trying to get a hold of the SA and their manager, to get some update on the booking no. Alloted to me. I finally managed to talk to him today, and got a really weird excuse.
Because the cars have been recalled, the whole allocation has paused and status would be available next Tuesday. I asked him again, because AFAIK, only diesel had been recalled, mine is for an EcoBoost. Now, he says even the EcoBoost has been recalled.
Anybody have an idea about this. I believe this is just a bad excuse to not tell me the truth.
Has the EcoBoost really been recalled?
Old 13th July 2013, 21:37   #2590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
Dzire might be better than an i20. But, do you know what the biggest nemesis of the Dzire is? Lack of engineering. They took a box and stuck it on the swifts rear. They didn't even bother to increase the wheelbase. What we are left with is a car with a large overhang that affects the balance of the car. Enough for it to fishtail. No other hatch to sedan conversions has been so sloppy as this one. Of course it is a bit better in the new Dzire because it is not very long. Next time you want to try some stunt in a Dzire just remember about that box that is strapped to the back of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Had booked the car on the 5th of July. Was told that the booking would finally enter the system on Tuesday.
Never believe anything these sales advisors say. Just listen to what they say and then use your own judgement.

Last edited by ecosport : 13th July 2013 at 21:38.
ecosport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 23:36   #2591
BHPian

Quote:
Dzire might be better than an i20. But, do you know what the biggest nemesis of the Dzire is? Lack of engineering. They took a box and stuck it on the swifts rear. They didn't even bother to increase the wheelbase. What we are left with is a car with a large overhang that affects the balance of the car. Enough for it to fishtail. No other hatch to sedan conversions has been so sloppy as this one. Of course it is a bit better in the new Dzire because it is not very long. Next time you want to try some stunt in a Dzire just remember about that box that is strapped to the back of the car.
I think you're just taking this too hard. I agree the Dzire hasn't been put too well together. I agree the rear was added as an afterthought. I'm not even a big fan of the swift's design and the dzire is obviously taking the bad design even further.

That said, I don't think the 15000 odd people who buy the dzire *every month* are stupid. There is something to be said about a car that is reliable, functional and performs it's primary task of transporting people from point A to point B in a nonchalant manner. The car doesn't sell ONLY because it's a Maruti. It sells because the people see value in it and I respect those guys choice. Not everyone wants a great handler or is even interested in the fact that their car has a 1.3 ltr MJD or an electric steering and not a hydraulic one.

I don't want to compare it against the Ecosport in the handling department and I wouldn't say the Ecosport is a great handler just because Ford made the car.

The Ecosport is a well put together package, for now. It may not be as enticing as it is now in a few months when Ford inevitably increases the price. If handling is all you want under 10 lakhs, I personally feel the Linea/Punto are the current standard.
Old 13th July 2013, 23:58   #2592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
I think you're just taking this too hard. I agree the Dzire hasn't been put too well together.
Dzire might be the best thing that Maruti gave us Indians, ever since Mohandas Gandhi gave us Independence in 1947. But that is not the point of discussion here. We were just comparing handling. Everything else is irrelevant.
Old 14th July 2013, 00:59   #2593
BHPian

Ecosport Vs Duster

- Agree 90% to what they say.

What do you guys think ?

by the way , about the toppling. Duster too has toppled and there was a pic in this thread else where. Cannot even count on the number of other SUVs that has toppled so far in Indian scenario so far ( I do not want to quote names of the SUVs and start another debate here).

I have a friend who smashed his Civic(2007 make) onto the divider due to Understeer while traveling from B'luru to Chennai by taking a turn too fast and its saggy rear suspension, It does not mean Civic is a bad handler at all. It is just Civic's centre of gravity is too less to topple thus it smashed onto the divider.

People do not have to be scared of Ecosport and name it a Car that topples (I have clocked 1557 kms so far in my Ecosport and 750 kms of that in the NH). T-BHPians are not automotive-ignorant unlike the Mango people.

I do have a Dzire Vxi(G13B heart) and has clocked 89K Kms so far in the past 4.5 years. I have never regretted a bit on its purchase after changing the tyres to 185 size (ZLO tyres). It is above average in handling, I could say definitely. Ecosport's only fly in the ointment when compared to Dzire is the very light steering but it has feedback nevertheless. I could adapt to it within a few hours of driving and at home. It does say where the tyres are and what it does. Dzire's boot is only 30Kgs more than the swift and its only marginally Swift is better than Dzire in handling.

People are suddenly talking about toppling issues and light steering of Ecosport in the past few pages. Would like to just say it isin't anything to worry about as over hyped and exaggerated.

I just want to clear a few things for prospective buyers who are looking for info on the ecosport and their decision. People so far have had only to say that "Is it not too much of a car for 10 lacs" ... A petrol bunk owner said this after he looked at the features and took a short spin in my car when i went there to refuel. He congratulated me saying its a wise decision and its beautiful colour. He took his car out and sped off. An AUDI Q5.

Last edited by revv_maniac : 14th July 2013 at 01:20.
Old 14th July 2013, 02:55   #2594
BHPian

People are clutching at straws for blaming the dynamics of Ecosport for toppling. Every vehicle has a tip off point which is not just based on ground clearance but also on the stiffness of the suspension, height of the vehicle, the presence or lack of anti roll bar and track to wheel base ratio. Now you can topple almost any passenger vehicle if you go over the handling limits. Now i like Scorpio but anybody with even a little understanding of vehicular dynamics would know it has one of the worst track to wheel base ratio and the reason why Mahindra has failed to fix the handling issues completely. Duster definitely has more tolerance on account of its longer wheelbase and wider track but that does not mean Ecosport tips over like a boat. It has a taught suspension and unless you recklessly corner it i don't think toppling is an issue not even remotely.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 14th July 2013 at 08:33. Reason: Corrected typo.
Old 14th July 2013, 11:22   #2595
BHPian

I really don't get it. The Ecosport is based on the New Fiesta which is the best handling car below 25 lacs.

New Fiesta > Linea TJET 2011 > Linea TJET 2013 > Punto.

So the Ecosport should be on par with Vento/Polo for handling and not a "boat" at worst.

@revv_maniac

Can you elaborate on the highway driving performance of the Ecosport ? The dynamics, power, braking.

Last edited by avmaxfan : 14th July 2013 at 11:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks