Team-BHP - 4th-gen Honda City : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   4th-gen Honda City : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/145656-4th-gen-honda-city-official-review-474.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sal (Post 5380019)
Attachment 2346063

Most of the 4th gens have blue lights, is there a way to change this color to blue?

The 4th gen city's initially came with instrument clusters having a blue backlight which was later changed to white in a mid life facelift.
You can try switching your cluster out with one from the older model if you're really particular about the blue backlight.

Hello fellow BHPians!

This is my first post so bear with me if it's not to format or standards!

I just got my first car, a used Honda City 2nd Gen(i-DSI), 2004 make. She's run a lot, about 205k on the odo and still runs like butter. The owner(friend of mine) sold it for about ₹75k which seemed pretty resonable to me considering that the car was aesthetically fit.

Now that the initial excitements worn off, I took it to a mechanic and found quite a couple of things wrong with the car. Replaced the clutch plates, engine mounts and the suspension system, steering rack and a bunch of other things the bill came out to a heafty ₹90k.

After all this, I was slightly on the fence about the purchase. I admit, it was a very hastily purchased and well, nothing can be done about it. So I had a few questions:

1)Do you think mistakes were made?
2)What other things should I be looking out for/What should I be wary of with old, high run, Honda City NHCs?
3)The Headlights are painfully dim and I can barely see in the night, I've heard adding LEDs to halogen housing is highly discouraged so what are my best options?

I plan to have this car for atleast another 3 years, I'm fresh out of college and just started my career so I bought this thinking it would be the most economical option for me. Lend me your thoughts!

Quote:

Originally Posted by PainlessDeath09 (Post 5384677)
- used Honda City 2nd Gen(i-DSI), 2004 make, run 205k and still runs like butter
- replaced the clutch plates, engine mounts and the suspension system, steering rack and a bunch of other things for ₹90k

Congratulations on your first car, @PainlessDeath09. There's nothing more thrilling than getting one's own car. It is normal for one to spend on suspension, steering and clutch on such a high run car. I wouldn't be concerned about the high odo reading as these engines are capable provided they are kept well.

Now, for what you'll have to look for:

1. Unless they've already been changed (which I feel must have been done), the ignition coils/cables are a potential failure area due to ageing. One of my relatives had these replaced at approx 1,60,000km on his 2007 Honda City ZX. OE ones are expensive but there are lower cost alternatives available
2. Spark plugs are reasonably cheap; no need to change them if they've been changed less than 40k kms ago
3. The body of this avatar of the City is prone to rust - please check for rust developing in the bottom of the doors, area around the strut aprons, inside the boot - areas where water is likely to collect and stagnate. Corrosion is something that can NEVER be eliminated once it starts. It can be fixed by gas welding and the like but will resurface.
4. Radiator and coolant - very very important but neglected area - please check if the coolant is in good shape else have it replaced with long life coolant. Honda Genuine blue coolant is good, but an alternative is Servo Kool Plus (diluted 1:3 with pure DM water)
5. Tyres - I presume these are good
6. Aircon - hope this is working well. Please try to check what components in this have been already replaced

Thanks a ton for the inputs. I’ll check up on it and give you an update

Just a quick question. Was looking for floor mats from GFX. It's not available for 4 th gen City. Will Honda Jazz or WRV mats fit for City as they both share the same platform?

Quote:

Originally Posted by creative420 (Post 5358746)
A friend is buying a new car and letting go off his 4th Gen Honda City VX CVT (2015). I'm keen on picking it up for my wife now that office commute is back on cards. It's a single owned, around 70k kms done car. Two things I want to know from you guys:

1. Any watchouts?

2. Fair price in Bangalore? :Frustrati

I have a 2015 4th Gen, preowned in 2019 only 17K driven at that time, now it is already ~60K. Based on my experience I can say following.

1. Usually City's are really reliable, do the usual checks, engine oil, brake oil, radiator coolant, brakes, tires,

2. Check for any nicks and bumps - any repainted surfaces. Those are the prone to rust areas usually. Thoroughly check the underbody for any major damages.

3. Check interiors - the driver arm rest lock is something which can break if not used wisely. Any aftermarket installations? check for any mods done and weather done neatly or not.

4. Try to get the service history - Honda has anytime warranty till 10 yrs on its vehicles. You can opt for it for piece of mind.

5. Price in Bengaluru is very difficult to estimate - since its quite high here. Take an estimate based on the purchase price, no. of years, kms driven & condition of car. You can relatively compare I would say in Olx or Orange book value and other places. Try to estimate, rest is on your negotiation skills.

Happy Shopping !! :)

Not sure of this is the right place to post this. My 4th Gen City which had just completed 25k kms on 5th Sept was completely submerged in the rains which lashed the city the same night.
The service centre has clarified that its a total loss and nothing can be done now.
While I was not a big fan of it's steering, loved the addictive sound when I stepped on the throttle in second or third gears.

Hello, fellow BHPians.
Last year I bought a Honda City 4th gen, since then I have been noticing a very bad rattling noise coming from the infotainment system whenever the car drives over a speed breaker. The Honda service centre has been of no help. I want to know if any other City owner faces the same problem too; if the whole City lineup has this problem or my particular unit. Please check the video's link. Suggestions are welcomed. Thank You!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12N0...ew?usp=sharing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balboa (Post 5400178)
Not sure of this is the right place to post this. My 4th Gen City which had just completed 25k kms on 5th Sept was completely submerged in the rain....

Very sorry for your loss mate. I think you may have to accept the fact as a fate maybe, and move on. Let's hope that the govt. would take appropriate measures so that such unforseen and unfortunately incidents may be avoided. That's my wishful thinking. But frankly these type of incidents are happening quite often these days, very unfortunate. :unhappy

Guys I am in a state of confusion and need views.

We have a Verna Fluidic CRDI and Creta Petrol in our garage which are primarily used by me, my wife and my father.

Recently my wife switched her job which got along her need for a car to commute between Delhi Gurgaon everyday (50Kms).

I was looking to buy a Baleno Zeta AMT for her as:
1. Wanted to add Automatic rather than manual
2. Budget kept was 10 Lacs
3. As per feedback Baleno easily returns 15-16 in city drive
4. Zeta comes with all features including 6 airbags

However heart was saying no to AMT and spending 10 Lacs for Baleno.

Suddenly came across a used 4th Gen Honda City on OLX.
Specifications:

Honda City ZX CVT petrol - Sep 2018 driven 50k kms.

Car was in immaculate condition with only front bumper painted and rest car was all original paint.

Interior was in top notch condition with negligible wear n tear.

Car had all the bells and whistles like sunroof, LED setup in front, rear, cabin lights, leather seats, auto head lamps/ wipers and 6 airbags.

Came to know that owner (MNC Employee) bought this model for 15.25 Lacs 4 years and was ready to sell at 40% less as his company lease was expiring and he had booked an XUV700.

Quickly checked records from company and found last service was done 11 months/15k kms ago and all service record was in place. May be owner knew he is gonna part with car and hence ignored last service.

I was the first person to see the car and it looked so good that I closed the deal thinking that anyone would take this car. Negotiated, made payment and took the car home.

Immediate requirements in car were:
2 tyres as owner had changed 2 (Rs 15k)
Service as it had been almost 15000kms and 1 year(Rs 10k)
Insurance expiring in 10 days (Rs 16k)

With all above expenses car would cost me around 8.75 Lacs which I thought was a good deal considering 15 Lacs for new(2018) and ZX(2022) for 17 Lacs.

Attached are some pics.

Got the car serviced at Honda and all was good.
CVT oil and brake pads were also changed so net expense was 10k which gave me satisfaction that car is fine mechanically.
Post which got car checked at body shop who confirmed that only front bumper is painted that too without removing which gave me confirmation that car was not involved in any accident.

I have driven car for 500kms in last 10 days and enjoying Automatic transmission but feel suspension is stiff.
To my surprise in city traffic, car is returning FE of 12- 14kmpl easily.

I still have 1 month before transfer of vehicle as NOC is awaited from leasing company and owner has given me option that I can return the car to him if I don't like it.

Now I am in a dilemma, that was it a wise decision to buy this 4 year old vehicle or should have I bought a new Baleno automatic for a lac more.

Suggestions requested to keep this car or buy a Baleno.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gearup_1111 (Post 5405712)

Now I am in a dilemma, that was it a wise decision to buy this 4 year old vehicle or should have I bought a new Baleno automatic for a lac more.

Suggestions requested to keep this car or buy a Baleno.

Please don't buy Maruti cars unless they are crash tested and scored 4 or 5 stars. Please don't buy Baleno. I am a Baleno owner too. It's very light and it scored zero stars in the Latin NCAP crash test. The city is also light, but it scored decent 4 stars. I know Global NCAP and Latin NCAP are different, but Maruti is always in the pursuit of fuel efficiency over safety.

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/4th-ge...ap-crash-tests

Got a message from Honda about a 'Service camp'. Though I have never been to a service camp, sharing as it mentions some interesting things like Fixed cost service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gearup_1111 (Post 5405712)

Now I am in a dilemma, that was it a wise decision to buy this 4 year old vehicle or should have I bought a new Baleno automatic for a lac more....

I would say you can stick to Honda City. I myself owe a Preowned Honda City 2015 model 17 K driven, which I bought in 2019 and now is around 60 k driven - no issues observed so far! It is a good buy considering following points.

1. Reliability, Efficiency, & Fun to Drive 1.5 Ltr iVTECH : We all can vouch for it, the engine is quite tractable, good low end superb top end performance and if driven wisely can return a good efficiency of around 12-15 in City and 15-18 kmpl in highways.

2. Safety : Its a 4 star rated product has lots of gaps in engine bay & has a boot - consider them as crumple zones in case of impact. The car is much safer compared to Baleno for sure.

3. Space : You get a mid size sedan with loads of space for all the passenger and a dedicated 510 Lts boot space. Honda's fundamentals of man maximum machine minimum can be felt in its cars. I consider it as a big advantage. Off topic but I hate the CSUV's in this regards - feels so much overpriced for what they have to offer.

4. Simplicity : You are getting a 4 cylinder Naturally aspirated motor here, no turbo and proven design. No headaches for long term. Even the CVT is one of the most reliable auto transmissions.

5. Anytime warranty : Honda has anytime warranty on City and some more cars. You can purchase it up to 10 years, peace of mind I would say. And shows that they have such confidence in their product.

You might miss following things if you go for City:

1. Infotainment : The factory fitted one is a basic unit and I know that it may lag sometimes & has no android auto / apple car play. - You can get some aftermarket units if you wish to overcome this.

Other than this I don't see that you may miss anything else with City. Remember you are getting a segment above car which is superior in many aspects compared to Baleno.

Finally it is your decision mate - go for the one which strikes chord with your heart and if your mind too can get along then nothing like it. You can keep it for long for sure.

Happy Shopping :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Su-47 (Post 5407133)
Got a message from Honda about a 'Service camp'. Though I have never been to a service camp, sharing as it mentions some interesting things like Fixed cost service.

Went for service and I was told that I can opt for a fixed cost service. 3500 plus tax would include PMS charges, Mineral oil, oil filter, body polishing and leather seat cleaning.

However I was given another offer which was 50% discount on labor charges which I opted for instead of fixed package. I opted for synthetic oil, air filter, CVT oil additional from fixed package but surprisingly my total bill came out only Rs6300 of which 2300 was for CVT oil. So net 4000 for PMS including taxes.

Complimentary I was given body polishing, leather seat cleaning and ac gas top up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by creative420 (Post 5358746)
A friend is buying a new car and letting go off his 4th Gen Honda City VX CVT (2015). I'm keen on picking it up for my wife now that office commute is back on cards. It's a single owned, around 70k kms done car. Two things I want to know from you guys:

1. Any watchouts?

2. Fair price in Bangalore? :Frustrati

For used car price check, you can use cars24 app for assessment. I found it to be fairly accurate in knowing used car prices. Now a days cars24 has become a good reference for both the buyer and seller to know fair prices. I recently exchanged my old car during new car purchase and the dealer offered the similar price as shown on cars24 (which was quite above my expectation to be honest). He also mentioned that cars24 have spoiled the used car market by their aggressive strategy.