Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2016, 16:17   #1966
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
Will get that replaced on the next ASS visit.
Before getting new ones, Try this.

Get rubbing alcohol or Popularly known as Alcohol Swabs from Medical Shop. Lift the wipers & clean them with a cloth. Then wipe them with swabs, after few seconds put these wipers down & clean the windshield with wash & wipe function. The blades will be reconditioned by 70-80%. If this fails, you can get new set from Hyundai ASS.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 03:43   #1967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
I went and measured the wipers.

Front : 24" + 16"

Rear : 12" Although the rear comes with a plastic cladding, which i could not remove so am assuming that either it comes as a complete kit (plastic cladding included) or just the rubber strip is slid off and replaced. Will get that replaced on the next ASS visit.
Hey,

For the rear wiper, visit nearest Hyundai ASS. The blade costs just 250 bucks and you are good to go for another year. I recently bought one from Sharayu Hyundai, Navi Mumbai.

While you visit your nearest Hyundai ASS for the wipers, make sure to ask for 4-5 packets of Windshield Washer Fluid at Rs 20/packet.

Ciao
Dinesh Malhotra
Old 10th November 2016, 13:25   #1968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop_gkris View Post
One more thing, do you get the low hum when running on concrete roads. Again this could be a tyre tread feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by udainxs View Post
Haven't had a chance to drive on concrete roads in the i20, but from experience in other cars, concrete roads makes for a noisy ride!
Haven't driven a lot on concrete but there is a small stretch in Bangalore near the Madiwala market which is concrete and I do feel a low hum. I keep 32 psi all the time. The manufacturer recommended is 31 psi with 1-2 people on board and 33 psi with more than 2 people.
Old 13th November 2016, 16:40   #1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh_Malhotra View Post
While you visit your nearest Hyundai ASS for the wipers, make sure to ask for 4-5 packets of Windshield Washer Fluid at Rs 20/packet.
Could you please elaborate on this? I tend to use the washer rather too generously, so I run out of washer fluid filled during service quite often. I've been using water + liquid soap mixture. Should I get the fluid from Hyundai? What is the advantage?
Old 13th November 2016, 19:23   #1970
BHPian

Soap and water is just fine. The ASS uses pouches of concentrated soap solution.

U can order proklear windshield concentrate from Amazon too.
Old 14th November 2016, 09:42   #1971
BHPian

I need some advice to decide on my new car purchase.

My usage will be around 1500km per month (700km in city and 800km on highway). This usage is a bridge between petrol and diesel. I have narrowed down to the following two models.

1. Elite i20 Petrol Asta(O)
2. Polo TDI Highline

I prefer a car with good ride quality and with safety features. This will be a self driven car with occupancy of 3 people on the maximum.

I have gone through a lot of reviews and youtube videos. But need input from the owners who have had this car for a while.
Can the fellow petrol i20 owners here please give me reasons on why I should go for i20 than polo or any other car in this segment
Old 14th November 2016, 10:12   #1972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayvelprakash View Post

My usage will be around 1500km per month (700km in city and 800km on highway). This usage is a bridge between petrol and diesel. I have narrowed down to the following two models.

2. Polo TDI Highline

I prefer a car with good ride quality and with safety features. This will be a self driven car with occupancy of 3 people on the maximum.

I have gone through a lot of reviews and Youtube videos. But need input from the owners who have had this car for a while.
Can the fellow petrol i20 owners here please give me reasons on why I should go for i20 than polo or any other car in this segment
I prefer the Polo Diesel over i20 Petrol. Though i20 Diesel is good & is better then Petrol. I too was in same mind last year, was planning for Replacement for a 2010 Figo & i20 was the Best Choice at that time (Baleno/Jazz weren't launched yet), after driving the Petrol & Diesel, found the latter to be much better in terms of Drivability, Ease, Performance, Efficiency. But i20 isn't as efficient as some of its rivals, you need to keep this in mind if FE is a priority.

In Petrol Hatchbacks, The Baleno is the Best followed by Polo(GT TSi), because of the Cheaper price tag of Baleno. Then the 3rd best car is the Jazz. Since you are open to both Petrol & Diesel, I suggest you to go for Diesel if you are looking at Performance & Efficiency.

Between the 2 choices you have mentioned, my pick would be the Polo, if you are ok with a Compact Sedan, then Ford Aspire & VW Ameo are the Best choices out there.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 11:09   #1973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
In Petrol Hatchbacks, The Baleno is the Best followed by Polo(GT TSi), because of the Cheaper price tag of Baleno. Then the 3rd best car is the Jazz. Since you are open to both Petrol & Diesel, I suggest you to go for Diesel if you are looking at Performance & Efficiency.

Between the 2 choices you have mentioned, my pick would be the Polo, if you are ok with a Compact Sedan, then Ford Aspire & VW Ameo are the Best choices out there.
I feel the i20 petrol to be a VFM in the petrol segment. Baleno's build quality was being questioned even in its international variant. So i may not go for it. TD of jazz petrol revealed that it is no different to i20 in terms of drivability. But i feel its over priced.

I am definitely not looking for a compact sedan so ruled them out in the initial stage itself.
vijayvelprakash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 01:57   #1974
BHPian

Quote:

2. Polo TDI Highline

I have gone through a lot of reviews and Youtube videos. But need input from the owners who have had this car for a while.
Quote:
I feel the i20 petrol to be a VFM in the petrol segment. Baleno's build quality was being questioned even in its international variant. So i may not go for it. TD of jazz petrol revealed that it is no different to i20 in terms of drivability. But i feel its over priced.

I am definitely not looking for a compact sedan so ruled them out in the initial stage itself.

I was in exact same spot 6 months ago and ended up buying Elite I20 Petrol Sportz model when it came with both Airbags + ABS in Sportz model which was within my budget.

My primary concern was also safety so i ignored all cars like Celerio, Kwid, WagonR etc etc due to weak structural strength and in some cases availability of 2 Airbags + ABS.

My monthly running is around 500 KM only so FE is not that big of concern. In your case i think your running is quite significant and most of the time running just increase once you purchase the car so it might also be better to future proof yourself.

In the end i was comparing following cars.
1) Polo TDI: You can check this however i own a Vento TDI so did not want another almost same car. One more point against Polo in my case was that i keep my cars for 10-12 years so i wanted reliable service support. Polo lost battle in long term reliability and maintenance.

2) Elite I20: Petrol is not enthusiastic engine. In city i prefer this over Vento sometime when i want to do relaxed driving so if you want to go from point A to B comfortable in City this engine is good enough. On highway overtaking trucks, buses etc are no issue however some similar speeding car you need to manage overtaking. Please note if you are doing 90-100 in relaxed manner in highway than its good enough but you will not be able to sprint overtake like in other powerful car. So this engine get the job done is my take on Elite I20 Petrol. In rest department like interior, quality etc its great. Long term reliability is good. One more point is that my 99% running are in City. For highway i have Vento so Elite I20 was ticking all the boxes in my case.

3) Baleno: It was a close call and waiting was not an issue for me since I did my booking long ago and car was available to me. Engine performance no doubt Baleno will win against I20 and it might be cheap to maintain against I20. A lot of folks were having doubt about structural strength of Baleno and by that time Baleno NCAP rating was not out so I had no basis to judge safety of both cars.

4) Figo Diesel Titanium 1.5: Car which i booked and canceled. Even though my running does not justify Diesel but if i am paying almost same amount for Elite I20 Petrol than why not? Frankly this car was also ticking all the boxes. However NCR diesel related regulations and bans made me go for petrol only cars. People complaining about build of new Figo but they do that in comparison of old Figo. Besides structural strength matter more. So If you are looking at Polo TDI than please also go ahead and check this car.

5) Jazz: SV model was coming with Airbags + ABS and frankly it seems little costly for what it was offering. I know engine is amazing but somehow this car did not hit the spot so after TD i never went back

So I decided to go for Elite I20 Petrol as it was sufficient for me.

Will i make the same decision if i have to choose again? Yes, I have driven Elite I20 Petrol 3500 KM in last 6-7 months and have nothing to complain. In fact my family make me drive I20 in city since they prefer its ride comfort more than Vento.

However please note my conditions were different with no highway need from Elite I20. You will have to make your own decision.

Things you need to check:
- Engine: This is only thing which you need to find out. Take a long test drive on stretched road. If it suits your driving style than fine, If you have doubt than walk away.
- FE: Another big concern you might have. I get around 12 average in city congested roads. In your case you might get little more due to mix of highway trip.

Last edited by karansm4u : 15th November 2016 at 02:17.
karansm4u is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 14:04   #1975
BHPian

Quote:

2. Polo TDI Highline
If at all you would want to compare the ride quality of all the cars, see if it's available with any of the self drive rental firms (zoomcar, revv, just ride to name a few). Take it on the highway and experience it. The cars may have a lot of miles on it which would again give you an insight on their long term performance. Then take a call.

Understand that this would cost you a couple of thousands, but it would still be better rather than having spent a couple of lacs and ending up with a wrong choice!! Just my two cents on this.

Cheers! Happy buying!
verma_rahul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 22:02   #1976
BHPian

Last week I took a plunge to do the wheel alignment, balancing and rotation along with nitrogen filling done in outside of the authorized service station. I went to VV Decors OMR and did these along with some accessories fitment (floor lighting and scuff plates).

During the rotation, I had asked the guy why not doing the cross rotation and he replied to me that only for 4x4 type. He did swap rear to front and front to rear for both sides. My car was completed 17K with good year assurance tires.

When I return home, I had started feeling the right side pull tremendously and my hands were started paining to make the correction. Since I was late to lunch (being a holiday, rushing for home food) driven the same to home (around 10 kms). After having lunch my mind started thinking lots of aspects discussed in this forum about Elite i20 and Creta does require steering input sensor to be reset etc.,and harm of doing these outside service center.

So immediately went to the nearby service center (V3 Hyundai) and inform the same, they've clearly refused to takeup any responsibility and asked me to do wheel alignment and balancing done. Then I've called the alignment guy and asked me to come over immediately. When I went there, he just took my car into the ramp area and told me the tires to be cross rotated (interchange 2 front tires), without even driving 500m or checking anything with tool and all.

He did that and went for a test drive, then asked me to drive away. Voila! issue completely resolved. The pull issue has been gone completely and still i'm unable to simulate the same.

Then I asked the reason for this, he told me that rear tires were not aligned properly during last work done in service center, hence tires weren't even. I wonder all these, OBD or GSCAN stuff are really needed now for my car.Please advise

Last edited by Jebs : 15th November 2016 at 22:05. Reason: Additional info
Old 15th November 2016, 22:13   #1977
BHPian

I too did the rotation, alignment & balancing couple of months back. The front and rear were rotated like it was done in the above scenario. However there was no kind of adjustment or any kind of tinkering with any sensor. I have till date driven the car for about 6K km and haven't experienced any issue.
Also how can the rear tyre alignment issue cause this? Am wondering what else could be an issue?
Maverick1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 22:20   #1978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
I too did the rotation, alignment & balancing couple of months back. The front and rear were rotated like it was done in the above scenario. However there was no kind of adjustment or any kind of tinkering with any sensor. I have till date driven the car for about 6K km and haven't experienced any issue.
Also how can the rear tyre alignment issue cause this? Am wondering what else could be an issue?
Yes man! Even I'm wondering how it'll make this much difference, Also the alignment guy told me that the rotation wasn't done in your previous 10K service and thus caused the issue. However, I never felt any vibration or pull thus far. Since I wanted to do alignment, balancing and rotation to be done at every 8K,I did that.
Old 15th November 2016, 23:41   #1979
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
... I wonder all these, OBD or GSCAN stuff are really needed now for my car.Please advise
These scans don't reveal any uneven tyre wear / rotation & balancing issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
...Since I wanted to do alignment, balancing and rotation to be done at every 8K,I did that.
Please get rotation / balancing done every 5K kms, that's what good shops recommend.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 23:57   #1980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
These scans don't reveal any uneven tyre wear / rotation & balancing issues.

Please get rotation / balancing done every 5K kms, that's what good shops recommend.
though this doesn't pertain to this thread but if you could answer, what are the pros and cons of rotation?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks