Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2017, 14:39   #2311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul_ View Post
I hit this strange problem yesterday for the second time. I have read multiple issues with a/c not working earlier in the thread. Mine is a little different. It happens only when it rains and I think the compressor works just fine but the airflow gets blocked somewhere.

I can hear the a/c working with lot of fan noise coming from the front left hand side but hardly any air coming out of the vents even when a/c fan setting is set to full blast. Very weird. Any ideas on what could be wrong here ?

Note : I did remove the cabin air filter and run the car when this problem was happening, didn't help!
It is the thermistor that is at fault. My car also had similar symptoms, except that it happened during the winter season. Thermistor was replaced under warranty and everything is sorted out now.

There's another issue that I've recently been facing in my car, probably since the last 10K kms. The moment I crank the engine, I hear a little whining sound from the engine which goes away in a second or two.
It comes again when you turn off the engine, leave it for about 10-15 mins and then crank the engine again.

Got it checked during the last service and the SA has recorded a video and has sent it to HMIL for problem identification.
Does anyone else has witnessed the same issue? As per the SA, it could either be an issue with the starter motor or the turbo.

Rahul

Last edited by Eddy : 4th September 2017 at 15:22. Reason: Merged
verma_rahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 18:13   #2312
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by verma_rahul View Post
It is the thermistor that is at fault. My car also had similar symptoms, except that it happened during the winter season. Thermistor was replaced under warranty and everything is sorted out now.
Rahul
Thanks Rahul !! In my car I could hear the A/C fan making sound from the left side but just the airflow was almost nil. The air coming out was cool though. Just checking if this was the exact same thing you encountered ? I really thought there was something blocking the airflow.
Old 4th September 2017, 19:05   #2313
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rahul !! In my car I could hear the A/C fan making sound from the left side but just the airflow was almost nil. The air coming out was cool though. Just checking if this was the exact same thing you encountered ? I really thought there was something blocking the airflow.
Even I'm facing a similar problem with my vehicle. But in my case, it happens little weirdly. Whenever I go on long drives, after driving for around 200-250 kms, the AC starts acting up this way. If I turn off the AC for a while and set it in fresh air mode, and start the AC after a while, again the blow comes for a while and again goes back.

After a good 3-4 hours halt, things will be normal again. I don't understand why this is happening.
Old 4th September 2017, 19:07   #2314
BHPian

Quote:
In that case, The only problem that I can assume is build-up of 'ICE' on/in the cooling coils.

Can be rectified at your nearest HASS by checking on the thermostatic expansion valve / bleeding and replacing A/C gas to remove moisture / Air Filter cleaning.
But if you can wait out the monsoons, this problem will self-resolve as the intake air will become drier.
So on short term, try switching of the A/C for 3-5 mins, to let the Ice melt and turn it back ON to resolve.
Moto$apien is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 21:10   #2315
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rahul !! In my car I could hear the A/C fan making sound from the left side ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
Even I'm facing a similar problem with my vehicle. But in my case, it happens little weirdly. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post
In that case, The only problem that I can assume is build-up of 'ICE' on/in the cooling coils.

Absolutely, the symptoms are exactly the same. The blower does used to make a lot of sound and used to feel as if there's something blocking the air flow.

It is the Thermistor (which controls the temperature and prevents the ice build up) that has to be replaced and things will be normal again.

Rahul
Old 7th September 2017, 10:22   #2316
BHPian

Quote:

It is the Thermistor (which controls the temperature and prevents the ice build up) that has to be replaced and things will be normal again.
Went through a couple of threads on thermostat replacement and got to understand that it required dashboard removal. Did it require you to remove the dashboard to change the thermistor as well in i20 ? If yes, did they good job at it - as in are you hearing any rattling after dashboard being fitted back, and since you are in Bangalore - which dealer did you get it done from ?

I am really scared at getting anything done which involves removal of dashboard.

On another note : just saw in team-bhp news today that Michelin Pilot sport 4 is finally launched. While I was looking at tyre replacement this was one of the possibilities I was looking at. However that point in time these tyres were not launched. You might want to look at that since you are due for a tyre replacement.
Old 7th September 2017, 11:11   #2317
BHPian

Hey! There wasn't any dashboard removal that was done (this is what that I was told by the SA).. and it was hardly a 2-hour job. I had got it done at Trident (Whitefield Road) Chethan was the SA at that time but since he has quit now, you can get in touch with Shariff.

Thanks for the info about the tyres! Well I've been in 2 minds whether to upsize or go with the original specs as I have an extended warranty for the car and in case if something goes wrong with the steering column, they will not accept it under warranty.

By the way I've given my car again for service today (clutch replacement). They've quoted about 18-19K for the clutch plate replacement and in case if the fly wheel has to be replaced, that would be another 16K or so. That's about 33K plus labour charges with flywheel replacement. Hence, as an advice to all the owners here, do not wait for the clutch plates to completely die before you think of getting it replaced.
Old 7th September 2017, 12:19   #2318
BHPian

Quote:

do not wait for the clutch plates to completely die before you think of getting it replaced.
So the clutch plates have failed on yours? If so, symptoms?

Thanks.
Old 7th September 2017, 12:21   #2319
BHPian

Quote:
By the way I've given my car again for service today (clutch replacement). They've quoted about 18-19K for the clutch plate replacement and in case if the fly wheel has to be replaced, that would be another 16K or so. That's about 33K plus labour charges with flywheel replacement. Hence, as an advice to all the owners here, do not wait for the clutch plates to completely die before you think of getting it replaced.
Ohh man ! Isn't 33k + labour charges too seep for clutch replacement ? last service they told me it should be around 15k which itself seemed steep to me.

I didn't quite get you when you suggest for early replacement. Mine has completed 46k but service advisor during last service commented that clutch is hard but I can wait for some more time before replacement.

How do I know for sure that I am due for a clutch replacement ?
Old 7th September 2017, 12:56   #2320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
So the clutch plates have failed on yours? If so, symptoms?

Thanks.
Quote:
Ohh man ! Isn't 33k + labour charges too seep for clutch replacement ? last service they told me it should be around 15k which itself seemed steep to me.
How do I know for sure that I am due for a clutch replacement ?
Yes the clutch plates are almost gone. Although the SA suggested that it can go for another 5-8K kms., I didn't really want to take a chance as I have a ~5000 kms. round trip coming up by this month end. My car has done 43K kms. in 2 years and 1 month.

About the symptoms, the clutch has become hard enough for my calf muscles to start hating me . Also, during a stop-and-go traffic, the clutch begins to judder, probably when it gets heated up.

The SA did mention though that the clutch is much better as compared to other cars which have done a mere 30-35K kms. in Bangalore traffic.

And, 33K+labour charges is only in case of flywheel replacement. In case if its just the clutch plate (and other related part) replacement, then it would be about 16-18K + labour charges.

Yes, it is steep indeed! Everywhere they have these posters at the service center differentiating Hyundai with other manufacturers, in terms of running costs, but now I feel its just a gimmick. I had a VW Vento TDI earlier which had done about 56K kms in 2.5 years before I sold it off. I never had to pay anything extra, apart from the service costs which used to be around 12K, and that too with a service interval of 15K kms. While, here for an i20, I am paying roughly around 8-9K during every 10K service. This is ridiculous!
Old 7th September 2017, 13:53   #2321
BHPian

Quote:
Yes the clutch plates are almost gone. Although the SA suggested that it can go for another 5-8K kms., I didn't really want to take a chance as I have a ~5000 kms. round trip coming up by this month end. My car has done 43K kms. in 2 years and 1 month.

About the symptoms, the clutch has become hard enough for my calf muscles to start hating me . Also, during a stop-and-go traffic, the clutch begins to judder, probably when it gets heated up.

The SA did mention though that the clutch is much better as compared to other cars which have done a mere 30-35K kms. in Bangalore traffic.

And, 33K+labour charges is only in case of flywheel replacement. In case if its just the clutch plate (and other related part) replacement, then it would be about 16-18K + labour charges.

Yes, it is steep indeed! Everywhere they have these posters at the service center differentiating Hyundai with other manufacturers, in terms of running costs, but now I feel its just a gimmick. I had a VW Vento TDI earlier which had done about 56K kms in 2.5 years before I sold it off. I never had to pay anything extra, apart from the service costs which used to be around 12K, and that too with a service interval of 15K kms. While, here for an i20, I am paying roughly around 8-9K during every 10K service. This is ridiculous!

I am amazed at how soon the clutch plates seem to be needing replacements on all your cars. My Dec 2014 Verna diesel is still going strong on its factory clutch and the odo stands at 90k kms.

Coming to service costs, I spend no more than 4.5k at my local garage. Apart from the first 3 services I have never ever visited HASS. Company ASS tend be a rip-off.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 13:58   #2322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
I am amazed at how soon the clutch plates seem to be needing replacements on all your cars. My Dec 2014 Verna diesel is still going strong on its factory clutch and the odo stands at 90k kms.

Coming to service costs, I spend no more than 4.5k at my local garage. Apart from the first 3 services I have never ever visited HASS. Company ASS tend be a rip-off.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
Not all my cars sir! This is the 4th car that I've ever owned and its the first time that I've had to get the clutch plates replaced. And, not to mention, my usage is about 70% on the highways and 30% in the city.
Old 7th September 2017, 15:31   #2323
BHPian

Hi bhp-ians,

I drive 2016 Elite I20 and wanted to know if anyone here has had an underbody hit with 5 passengers on board? On one occasion I was driving with 5 adults (medium built) and the car scraped over the bumper even when I tried to cross it in 1st gear. Wanted to know if other Elite owners have faced a similar issue, especially members from bangalore which has unscientifically designed speed breakers all over the place.

The other issue I wanted to point out is the lower portion of the front bumper has a slight curved design which sometimes scrapes when driving over unpaved country roads. Has anyone faced this issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-hyundaielitei2012.jpg  

Old 7th September 2017, 16:05   #2324
BHPian

Yes this is expected on both counts. Nothing to panic about IMO.
Old 7th September 2017, 23:52   #2325
BHPian

Quote:
They've quoted about 18-19K for the clutch plate replacement and in case if the fly wheel has to be replaced, that would be another 16K or so. That's about 33K plus labour charges with flywheel replacement. Hence, as an advice to all the owners here, do not wait for the clutch plates to completely die before you think of getting it replaced.
The cost quote is too high. Did a quick search on 99rpm , the cost for clutch plate and pressure plate for CRDI is around 8k and for VTVT is 4.5k.

CRDI

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-screenshot_201709072322082.png

http://www.99rpm.com/hyundai/clutch-...elite-i20.html

VTVT

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-screenshot_201709072332063.png

http://www.99rpm.com/hyundai/clutch-...elite-i20.html
Nikhs is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks