Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2017, 04:18   #1966
BHPian

Re: Ciaz! The Game Changer in Mid-Size

Let's face the fact guys. Car purchase is as much an emotional decision as it is a logical one. The competition doesn't have any emotional appeal. Ciaz is a game changer for Maruti only because, taking Maruti from a negative perception of poor sedan makers to a positive swing towards segment topper.
I believe it is on the back of this car Maruti started selling Baleno and Vitara. Ask a common man on the street, you will find surprising answers. The Maruti brand backed by a solid feature list and killer pricing is always an easy sell. The power of the engine is a non-issue for most as it is a chaffeur driven car mostly. This is backed by Maruti's own study.
In Thailand, where such cars are mostly self driven, this car is a dud.
Carma2017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 08:42   #1967
Distinguished - BHPian

Personally, and I don't have to repeat once more that this is my opinion - I sat in a Ciaz cab and hated it, as mentioned above the ride was bouncy and it had possibly the most unsatisfactory door-shut in any car that I've seen, it is light and it shows, the rear had as much vertical movement as the Ritz.

At the price range and if the need is for a spacious rear and luggage area, I'd as well go for a Nissan Sunny which remains the benchmark in rear-seating comfort and overall roominess, also the build is much better even though both vehicles have about the same kerb weight. Rest depends on priorities of the buyer like service factor, kit on offer and design.

Any car is a game-changer in its own right, I believe such articles are space-fillers and nothing more. I didn't read any article about Polo TSi changing the game on how automatics began to be perceived, nor did I read about how Hyundai upped the ante when it came to super-hatches. Sales to me, is not the strongest factor to determining a game changing but as I said before, its my opinion. We need to wait for 1) City 2017 and 2) Verna 2017 to release before giving the final judgement on the scene. For the price that Ciaz sold, and keeping in mind its low-spec engines and yet reasonable tractability due to low weight, it was bound to sell well, but whether it can sustain with the competition upgrading themselves soon, has to be seen.
dark.knight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 09:52   #1968
BHPian

The article is probably meant for market strangers, the Ciaz had some surges of late but it still lags behind the City by about 30,000 units cumulatively from the day it was available on the market. And any gain in the recent times is probably more of Honda's complacency rather than Maruti's merits. If the Ciaz was a game changer, then it would have toppled the City's sales right from the day it was launched.

If Honda acts sensibly and packs its City face-lift with enough gizmos and go easy on the pricing, then the Ciaz will probably settle at its familiar second place for some more time. If the new City still manages to lose its position to a boring-to-drive Ciaz, then we can say that the sensible Indian has learned to recognize greed.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Ciaz : Official Review-city_vs_ciaz.jpg  

Last edited by sun_king : 8th February 2017 at 10:12. Reason: Corrected a minor syntax error and updated the chart with a proper title
sun_king is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 10:57   #1969
BHPian

Well, I own a petrol Ciaz and can safely say that the following parameters does go in its favour,

1. Very good interior finish and space. Interiors look plush and feel logical. Leather seats, projector lamps, push button start, foot well lighting etc., provided even on the mid variant
2. Not a bad performer by any means, be it on city roads or on the highway. I am a sedate driver and do not go for a 1-100 dash nor do I fly on potholed roads at 180 KMPH. The car can cruise comfortably all along at respectable speeds.
3. Predictable handling, good braking along with very comfortable and plush ride.
4. Ciaz looks large and inoffensive.
5. Has a big boot for hauling extra luggage.
6. Has better profile tyres than those provided on the City.
7. Powerful and very effective A/C. Summers and daytime travel are no more tiresome.
8. Rear AC vents provided on all variants (heck, even the top variant of the Verna, does not have it).
9. Lastly, Ciaz does not cut short on the very essential safety kit that includes height adjustable seat belts, ABS and Airbags.

Here, I am not talking about the key points commonly known by aam junta viz., mileage and service network.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 8th February 2017 at 10:59.
King_pin09 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 12:05   #1970
BHPian

When we visited the ms showroom for TD's my mother asked me to look at it as she is always interested in bigger cars. What followed was probably the most boring time I've had with any car to be honest. I couldn't even a single appealing thing about it. It was the first time I've told an SA that it is definitely not for me.

As something to drive it has nothing going for it if I had to compare it with my cousin sister's city for example(current gen). Now if I was to be chauffeur driven, since I don't fit properly in the back I would much rather prefer something else like top end variant for jazz if we are strictly talking comfort and space. I mean you can pretty much sleep in it! and the ASS isn't bad either right? If you want anything more you have spare left to customize it to your liking.

Perhaps I will never understand what ciaz has going for it. Maybe someone else could help me there (Only reason I see could be the case is maruti suzuki + sedan where the name or car doesn't even matter and people will buy it regardless).
Old 8th February 2017, 12:05   #1971
Distinguished - BHPian

Is Ciaz ready to go to NEXA??

A friend spotted this Ciaz in a normal Maruti dealership with some minor changes to its rear. It now has "NEXA" style emblems-Brand name on left side and Suzuki logo in the centre. No Maruti Suzuki or variant emblem.

Maruti Ciaz : Official Review-img20170208wa0012.jpg

Earlier badging:

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th February 2017 at 11:10. Reason: Adding pic of earlier badging for reference :)
Leoshashi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 13:08   #1972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Personally, and I don't have to repeat once more that this is my opinion - I sat in a Ciaz cab and hated it,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarit19 View Post
WI couldn't even a single appealing thing about it.
Now if I was to be chauffeur driven, since I don't fit properly in the back I would much rather prefer something else like top end variant for jazz if we are strictly talking comfort and space. I mean you can pretty much sleep in it! and the ASS isn't bad either right? If you want anything more you have spare left to customize it to your liking.
Shows how much opinions differ just purely based on perceptions / experiences. Mine below:

My friend and I got picked up by a Ciaz Uber the other day. We are both 5 11' and it was quite comfortable in the back. We both were quite impressed by the fit and finish of the car and also that it was a really good cabin to be in. Sitting in the back seat, I didn't feel any discomfort in that short travel (about 20 minutes). I was not tested for the rear roof height, thank you, uber driver!

I think the argument about game-changer is quite a subjective one. For enthusiasts, game-changers are Abarth Punto, Polo TSi etc. Outside that circle, game-changers are typically the ones that provide the most reassurance to their owners. In this case, Maruti (and Toyota) wins hands-down. We can argue till the cows come home about how their A.S.S. costs are a myth and other companies do better etc. etc. But in the end of the day, a guy in some remote town with a Maruti center isn't going to ask the roll start acceleration times or what "g's it accomplished on a race-track.

It is a game changer FOR MARUTI. Not for us TBHPians, maybe. It came into a hotly contested segment where perceptions of them unable to break a price-barrier was eloquently highlighted by multiple forums, reviews etc. and then proceeded to smash their way into it. Hulk-style, nonetheless. Despite them having failed earlier (SX4). That shows guts, a clever pricing strategy and not worrying about niche requirements.

Others (read: VW/Skoda) would probably chew off their right arm for such a broad base of loyal buyers. In every manufacturers offerings, there are duds and winners. Just by the sheer number of models Maruti offers, there would be more duds than winners. If other manufacturers offered similar number of vehicles, I am sure the dud percentage (wow, new term!) would be much higher.
Mad Max is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 13:42   #1973
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
We need to wait for 1) City 2017 and 2) Verna 2017 to release before giving the final judgement on the scene.
Updates are not limited to its competitors, but Ciaz also may get updates further down the line.

It's now clear that City just holds its fort, but Verna lost the plot completely after the launch of Ciaz. Expecting a face-lifted Verna will dethrone Ciaz is just over enthusiasm or pure brand loyalty, considering how Ciaz established its presence.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 8th February 2017 at 13:44.
Old 8th February 2017, 20:13   #1974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
My friend and I got picked up by a Ciaz Uber the other day. We are both 5 11' and it was quite comfortable in the back.
That makes sense! Sadly I'm 6"3.5 hence that is why I said what I said about jazz. Rarely do I fit properly in the back of any car.
Old 9th February 2017, 04:58   #1975
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Ciaz : Official Review

It is a game changer in the sense that Maruti was finally able to get some respectable numbers in the midsize sedan segment but as a product it is pretty average or above at best. It has the same engine as almost every Maruti starting from the Diesel Swift, it has questionable build (brand new Suzuki's scoring 3 star rating in this day and age does not fill you with confidence and neither does the manufacturer's attitude when it comes to safety so you do not know how many corners have been cut) and the styling is clean and inoffensive but pretty generic. This is not to say that Honda City is a world beater but if I was in the market for a no nonsense midsize sedan, I would go with Honda in this segment any which day.
Old 9th February 2017, 07:11   #1976
BHPian

Maruti did learn it's lessons from the SX4 debacle and got most things covered with Ciaz. I just hope these guys bring the 1.6 DDIS and then people will find more value in the product . l'm not taking away credit for being numero uno but it's a Maruti after all.
Old 9th February 2017, 10:10   #1977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
I might be going against the tide, but I never felt Ciaz was the game changer.

IMHO, the Ciaz would get trumped by all the other sedans in almost all the aspects but FE & after sales service, which apparently are the only driving parameters for its high sales.
With the truck like sounding engine and almost a lakh and a half premium, yes, i would say honda has become quite complacent with the city.
Verna's back seat space is pathetic and the price is not at all appealing.

VW/Skoda has not only the diesel gate to redeem themselves from, but high maintenance post warranty period, not to mention their after sales.

Now lets come to Ciaz. Ciaz has better suspension than city, verna. Its the largest in every dimension. Has got the most legroom. One of the largest boot space. Low cost to equipment levels. And City though boasts tthe 100 bhp engine. Its slower in the straightline dash as well as ingear timings as tested by many reputed mags and websites.

It's an insult to indian buyers intelligence when some people claim that they made Ciaz the highest selling car in its segment just because of it's FE and after sales.

And i suspect the people who throw bad comments at Ciaz has other brands in their garage.

Last edited by mithunvvijayan : 9th February 2017 at 10:13.
mithunvvijayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 13:04   #1978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithunvvijayan View Post
And i suspect the people who throw bad comments at Ciaz has other brands in their garage.
Pardon me, my post was not meant to be an offense to the owners. But, if I were to re-iterate, the debate started with the OP(of a different thread) claiming Ciaz to be a game changer in the Mid-Size sedans. I agree that Ciaz could be the segment best at many features, but it did not script a new story altogether.
For e.g.:Verna offered 6 Airbags. Or segment first diesel AT. Fiesta with cruise control...etc.

Ciaz, is just another no-nonsense all-rounder car. And if I were to buy from a common man's perspective & word of mouth advertising, yes Ciaz/City would be the leftover/sane choices.

It is similar to the lines of claiming Brezza to be a game changer. Like someone else said these cars did change the fortunes of Maruti and to an extent the Indian Junta, but did not re-script the Indian Automotive scene.

P.S.: My daily drive is a Fiesta Duratec/Maruti Alto. We have other brands in the family as well. And I do vouch for a maruti, only for the sake of ease of maintenance, anything beyond is a bonus.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 13:11   #1979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Pardon me, my post was not meant to be an offense to the owners. But, if I were to re-iterate, the debate started with the OP(of a different thread) claiming Ciaz to be a game changer in the Mid-Size sedans. I agree that Ciaz could be the segment best at many features, but it did not script a new story altogether.
For e.g.:Verna offered 6 Airbags. Or segment first diesel AT. Fiesta with cruise control...etc.
Ciaz had brought 7 inch touch screen with apple play. Even Scross came after that. None of its competitors had it, when it was launched. It was the only car with projector headlamps in its segment at the time of launch. It was the only car with 16 inch alloy rims in its segment at the time of launch. And it is the only mild hybrid (whatever the naysayers claim) in its segment which offers the highest FE according to ARAI of anycar in India, including the Nano.
With the largest dimensions to cost, I think it was a game changer.
mithunvvijayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 14:41   #1980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was the only car with 16 inch alloy rims in its segment at the time of launch.
Hyundai Fluidic Verna

Quote:
It was the only car with projector headlamps in its segment at the time of launch.
2014 Skoda Rapid

Quote:
Ciaz had brought 7 inch touch screen with apple play. Even Scross came after that. None of its competitors had it, when it was launched. And it is the only mild hybrid (whatever the naysayers claim) in its segment which offers the highest FE according to ARAI of anycar in India, including the Nano.
With the largest dimensions to cost, I think it was a game changer
Yes. Agreed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks