Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2015, 12:43   #121
BHPian

Re: 2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review

Million electrical components.
Wonder what all can go wrong as the car becomes older.
I think there will be a weekly service shop visit for the owners in a few years time. Or live with all those that would stop functioning.
So complex
Old 18th June 2015, 12:56   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
I think there will be a weekly service shop visit for the owners in a few years time. Or live with all those that would stop functioning.
So complex

Just having more electrical components may not mean that car is prone to failure. Having said that I think XUV got a bad reputation in the earlier avatar when the electrical problems started cropping up. Perhaps a combination of inadequate quality control and wrong suppliers. I do believe that they have moved ahead on both counts, but to what extent all of this has improved reliability, time will tell.

We moved on from really old tech cars like Ambys and Premiers to modern cars that have tons of electrical and electronic stuff, starting with ECUs themselves. XUV doesn't have significantly higher electronic components than any modern car, especially in its price range.

The bling around the entertainment console and disco lights etc do create the perception that there is a lot more going than there actually is.

ABS, ESP, Rainsensing wipers, lamps, hill hold, descent.... dont many cars have those already? I am sure many of these will soon become standard fare.

My feeling is that the key electrical/electronic components critical to vehicle's safety are provided by class-leading vendors and are at par with the other cars. Perhaps the "bling" items may be of Chinese origin!

Last edited by Bigzero : 18th June 2015 at 12:57.
Bigzero is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 12:56   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So complex
I have used the 2012 batch of the Xuv 500 which infact had many niggles but nothing major everything was sorted by mahindra from time to time, and after driving it for 80000kms in nearly 3 years there were no breakdowns or no major work in the car, sold it few days back while it was still driving like it used to the day i bought it.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 13:25   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Also attaching a pic of both my beasts together.
Wow! what a delightful pic. Both the cars are looking stunning with the rain drops on them, am pretty sure lot of people who are in a dilemma weather to go for sunset orange or not will be motivated towards it congratulations! waiting for your ownership thread.
Zahoor23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 13:50   #125
BANNED

Quote:

Wonder what all can go wrong as the car becomes older. So complex
"Everything" or "Nothing" - my answer to the electrical components good wary.

Do you own any version of XUV 5OO? If yes then what do issues have you faced and if you do NOT then on what base have you put that comment?

Talking about the number of electronics in the car then you should never buy a BMW/Audi/Mercedes for that matter as they have million more electronics than what is found in our Indian cars.

It doesn't mean that if a car has more of electronic stuff than mechanical/manual ones it isn't prove to failure every now and then. Not sure what you are taking about.

If you care to, please be a bit clear with data so that people do understand your problem.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 14:35   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
For people looking for a roof carrier for XUV, below is a very eye-pleasing option to explore. It seems to be retrofitted maintaining original look of the car. Only problem is - I am unable to source it from anywhere in Delhi-NCR. The pics are from suncardecors.com webpage.
Similar roof carriers were discussed in the Ertiga's official review as well. There is a company called Roof Rails in coimbatore ( http://roufrails.suncardecors.com/contact-us/ ) which has the same exact designs for all cars. I understand that you are looking for them in Delhi-NCR but it may be a good idea to check with these guyz if they can ship it to NCR.
arunu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 14:50   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahoor23 View Post
Wow! what a delightful pic. Both the cars are looking stunning with the rain drops on them, am pretty sure lot of people who are in a dilemma weather to go for sunset orange or not will be motivated towards it congratulations! waiting for your ownership thread.
Hello, thank you. Also i have noticed people pointing out towards the car and saying "new xuv" heck a couple of xuv owners on the road requested me to roll down the windows and asked me about the changes in the car etc and they seem to like the color. Anyone planning to buy the new age Xuv should atleast checkout the color in person.
Ownership for the jetta will be up first followed by the Orange candy.
Old 18th June 2015, 17:49   #128
BHPian

Since part numbers for alloy wheels are not yet released the sales rep does not have the price for the alloys but was told is expected to be around 18K - 20K for one wheel(the one that comes as a standard in w8 and w10) and the flower pattern could be around 10K.
I was contemplating after-market alloys for my W6 but the SA advised me against it saying any problems with Suspension or Brakes might not be entertained with warranty if the alloys are after-market. Can this be true or is it M&M pushing for their accessories?
Also, heard JKs are rarely coming these days. Its either Apollo or Bridgestone.
Old 18th June 2015, 18:34   #129
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prash22 View Post
Since part numbers for alloy wheels are not yet released the sales rep does not have the price for the alloys but was told is expected to be around 18K - 20K for one wheel(the one that comes as a standard in w8 and w10) and the flower pattern could be around 10K.
I was contemplating after-market alloys for my W6 but the SA advised me against it saying any problems with Suspension or Brakes might not be entertained with warranty if the alloys are after-market. Can this be true or is it M&M pushing for their accessories?
1. 18-20K per alloy is just too high. I doubt the correctness of the information.
2. Changing alloys to same size should not cause any problem with warranty. The dealer is bluffing.
3. Not very sure about this, but I remember reading that JKs are limited to W4.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 19:32   #130
BHPian

Quote:
80k for four alloys seem daylight robbery. Warranty is very subjective. Something small goes wrong and they wont even raise an eyebrow but if it requires huge repairs, they would simply put it on you in case you have not used the correct specifications. If you have, they cant nullify the warranty in any case. The problem is that you wont find many options in the company recommended specification as far as xuv's alloys are concerned.
Old 18th June 2015, 19:59   #131
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
3. Not very sure about this, but I remember reading that JKs are limited to W4.

Couple of pages back, a gentleman had shared the New W4's pictures. Here's the link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3732947

If you observe closely, you can see the JK Tyres marking on the front tyre.
2015 Mahindra XUV500 Facelift : Official Review-w4-jk.jpg
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 20:18   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Couple of pages back, a gentleman had shared the New W4's pictures. Here's the link:

Attachment 1383349

There are two more things interesting to note in the new W4.
1. The right side dial now displays the temperature gauge
2. There is a USB Port next to the 12v power outlet.

Both are welcome changes.
pgupta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 20:36   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1383349
Yes the earlier W4's used to come with Maxxis tyres and now they have changed it to JK's. Good move by Mahindra on W4 models.

And for other models it is either Apollo or BS Dueler's.

PS - This information is based on my observations at the stockyard and info from the sales executive.
fusionbang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 22:22   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
It doesn't mean that if a car has more of electronic stuff than mechanical/manual ones it isn't prove to failure every now and then. Not sure what you are taking about.

If you care to, please be a bit clear with data so that people do understand your problem.
Was mostly talking about the niggles, that could surface once the car gets old.
Don't own one, but was mostly recollecting all things that went wrong on our 5 (55K Km) year old Figo

- The mobile charger socket went bad, once
- The ICE would not show up any song names, and only showed numbers
- ICE went reset once, and then asked for a password, so had to lookup the owner manual for the 4 digit password, and then the song names returned
- The latest (post 5 year), speedo would stop working at times (From 80 to 0), and would return back only after a vehicle turn-OFF/ON
- When the speedo stalled, once, the vehicle started jerking. The min speed for each gear was not working as the speedo had stopped functioning.
- The worst of them all, the vehicle would simply turn off ignition at low speeds, and then the breaks and steering would go dead. This has happened thrice, (Twice for me, and once for my wife), and thankfully, we were at very low speeds.

And, now comparing it to our Old Alto, which has no niggles at all
No, believe me, the Figo is our favourite. Any day. What a car. No nonsense.

And, I still feel, the XUV is one of the best our Indian car manufacturers can offer.
But personally, would like lesser gizmos and probably costlier fabric/plastics/ alminium etc, to make a car feel more exclusive, over the electronics.
Old 18th June 2015, 23:13   #135
Team-BHP Support

I did some reading around about the brake energy regeneration.

The system is not in true speak hybrid. To charge the battery, we have an alternator. This alternator runs off the engine. To improve efficiency, the system cuts the alternator when accelerating however there are some other parameters that need to be met when the alternator is disconnected.

1. If the battery SOC (state of charge) is above a threshold say 90% the system cuts the alternator when accelerating.
2. If the alternator is cut off, the battery will be drained quite fast as it is powering the electricals. If the battery SOC falls below a minimum threshold, then the alternator will engage and work like a normal car without this system.
3. When coasting or braking (clutch not pressed) the system engages the alternator and charges the battery like normal.

Since the alternator does not put additional load on the engine when accelerating and only loads the engine when coasting/braking it uses the wasted engine power to charge the battery.

This has a small impact on FE and probably even performance.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks