Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2015, 18:04   #481
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2015 Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
what will be the difference in between 320 and 400 on day to day driving?
BHP nos won't aid day to day driving but torque should/will.

Will also depend as to how does it make its power, the m-Hawk in the Scorpio is just so tractable, it doesn't tax you one bit when driving in city confines. This engine [400 NM] should take it forward.

Have suitably deleted the *expert* part
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2015, 18:51   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Offtopic, but am in a much similar feeling that you are in after going in for the VX about 5 months ago, hehe. The additional torque will have certainly helped me cruise the upward ghat drives to Bangalore. But otherwise, am very much satisfied with the purchase. The vehicle is much more silent and trimmed compared with our earlier Dicor. Not spoiling my party over this news ;-)
Hypothetically, would you pay additional 80-100 K for 400NM version if you had a choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
BHP nos won't aid day to day driving but torque should/will.

Will also depend as to how does it make its power, the m-Hawk in the Scorpio is just so tractable, it doesn't tax you one bit when driving in city confines. This engine [400 NM] should take it forward.

Have suitably deleted the *expert* part
Thanks, I think it will make Storme will be less pain in Delhi traffic with additional torque. And yes, deleting 'expert' will change nothing.
Old 21st November 2015, 23:03   #483
BHPian

Attaching the PDF Flyer of the Safari Storme 400 Nm
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Safari Storme 400 Nm - Product Info.pdf (2.86 MB, 2597 views)
rajismine is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st November 2015, 23:43   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
Thanks for sharing. Page number 7 shows restart grade %. Doesn't that show existing storme is better?
BipB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 03:08   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Hypothetically, would you pay additional 80-100 K for 400NM version if you had a choice?

Thanks, I think it will make Storme will be less pain in Delhi traffic with additional torque. And yes, deleting 'expert' will change nothing.

Hi Sourabh,

Sorry to barge in, but I suggest you should insist and get the 400 as it also has a 6 speed transmission.

IIRC the current gearbox has been in use for over 2 decades. The new transmission will be better to use and the would also result in increased efficiency due to the sixth cog.

If I were you, I would get the 400.

Cheers.
maglev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 13:45   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where do you get such information?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Hi Sourabh,

Sorry to barge in, but I suggest you should insist and get the 400 as it also has a 6 speed transmission.

IIRC the current gearbox has been in use for over 2 decades. The new transmission will be better to use and the would also result in increased efficiency due to the sixth cog.

If I were you, I would get the 400.

Cheers.
I also want to wait but the dealer here is saying that the vehicle will be available in Feb 2016 which is bit too long considering the fact that I have already paid in full for current version.
Old 22nd November 2015, 14:02   #487
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
The new transmission will be better to use and the would also result in increased efficiency due to the sixth cog.
Quote:
I also want to wait but the dealer here is saying that the vehicle will be available in Feb 2016 which is bit too long considering the fact that I have already paid in full for current version.
There are two ways of looking at it.

I'd rather wait for the new gearbox to "bed-in" for at least a year before putting my money on it.

The second way is to go and get it, which, with TML, is something which I wouldn't really do. Remember the DMF launched with the Aria??
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 16:58   #488
BHPian

Somebody in tata market research team is smoking good stuff. While the world is talking about the much improved safari which needs some cosmetic changes for a car north of 15 lacs, tata motors decides to give it an engine upgrade. Design an all new exterior, change the interiors and roll in the new engine if you must . I doubt if the upcoming changes will help their sales numbers.
Old 22nd November 2015, 18:36   #489
Senior - BHPian

I think this engine has come in for some testing before going into the Hexa. But why not cruise control ?? I am surprised to see the current engine is as good as the Fortuner 2.5 and XUV and better than the Scorpio in the 0-100 numbers despite its weight. Real world FE has also been good for the Storme in comparison to these vehicles. This only shows TML has done something good with the Varicor.

Last edited by narayan : 22nd November 2015 at 18:38.
Old 22nd November 2015, 19:03   #490
Senior - BHPian

This will make more people consider the VX variant. My experience with the truck has been very good. If you compare it with the other products, it is good VFM. I have completed 5600 Km and get north of 13 KPL in city which is exceptionally good for such a heavy vehicle (4X4).

Almost all people who have seen my vehicle have been impressed by the interiors. The challange TML faces is poor public perceptin of the company and its products. Most people still have the old Tata Safari in mind and have no idea how much the vehicle has improved.

Different exteriors will definitely help TML. Hopefully, positive feedback from owners will encourage more people to try this vehicle. I expect the new generation fortuner to cost 30 lakh +. The Storme should be able to justify its price in comparison. Except for the Mahindra XUV and Scorpio there is no product which offeres so much for so little.
rajneeesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 20:42   #491
BHPian

I happened to notice tata storme at our apartment parking. It seems a latest model. I found it very silent and smooth revving engine (compared to the previous iterations) I also noticed how smoothly it moves around, plus the grrr/grating sound of the gearbox no longer audible. Tata seems improving and i will bet my money if they come with a front facing 7 last row.
Old 22nd November 2015, 22:25   #492
BHPian

the 400 nm is pretty much available at Tata Showroom @ Gachibowli now - parked right outside the showroom . For me, I consider it launched :-)
rajismine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 00:12   #493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
I happened to notice tata storme at our apartment parking. It seems a latest model. I found it very silent and smooth revving engine (compared to the previous iterations) I also noticed how smoothly it moves around, plus the grrr/grating sound of the gearbox no longer audible. Tata seems improving and i will bet my money if they come with a front facing 7 last row.
Nice - sounds promising!

Quote:
the 400 nm is pretty much available at Tata Showroom @ Gachibowli now - parked right outside the showroom . For me, I consider it launched :-)
Great to hear - I must query the local Concorde showroom regarding this tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
This will make more people consider the VX variant. My experience with the truck has been very good. If you compare it with the other products, it is good VFM. I have completed 5600 Km and get north of 13 KPL in city which is exceptionally good for such a heavy vehicle (4X4).

Almost all people who have seen my vehicle have been impressed by the interiors. The challange TML faces is poor public perceptin of the company and its products. Most people still have the old Tata Safari in mind and have no idea how much the vehicle has improved.

Different exteriors will definitely help TML. Hopefully, positive feedback from owners will encourage more people to try this vehicle. I expect the new generation fortuner to cost 30 lakh +. The Storme should be able to justify its price in comparison. Except for the Mahindra XUV and Scorpio there is no product which offeres so much for so little.
Agreed - I found the Storme I inspected in the showroom to be much higher in quality than the Fortuner 4x4 AT I had planned on buying - which is why I held off on it.

The safety issues that the Fortuner has are inexcusable - no real protection for the occupants and the Storme's doors weigh at least 3x the Fortuner's.

That is the reason I treasure my Dicor - been rear-ended 4 times by Japanese-origin designs who had major front-end damage, while my bumper has barely even a scratch!

The highlight was my front driver's side wheel and front fender rammed by a Maruti R - which was totaled with heavy front-end damage, while I continued driving my Dicor for about 8 months before I found time to get it repaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libra View Post
Somebody in tata market research team is smoking good stuff. While the world is talking about the much improved safari which needs some cosmetic changes for a car north of 15 lacs, tata motors decides to give it an engine upgrade. Design an all new exterior, change the interiors and roll in the new engine if you must . I doubt if the upcoming changes will help their sales numbers.
Agreed on this point, wholeheartedly. But this is the way they do things - look at the current design, which is only a modification of the original Safari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
There are two ways of looking at it.

I'd rather wait for the new gearbox to "bed-in" for at least a year before putting my money on it.

The second way is to go and get it, which, with TML, is something which I wouldn't really do. Remember the DMF launched with the Aria??
One would be smart to wait - however, I would hope that TML tested this enough...

Quote:
Thanks so much for this!
Old 23rd November 2015, 08:32   #494
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post

The safety issues that the Fortuner has are inexcusable - no real protection for the occupants and the Storme's doors weigh at least 3x the Fortuner's.
Both have 2 airbags, unsure of safety ratings
but because the current gen Forfuner is sold in International markets, it might be absorbing impacts better.

What better protection does Storme have over Fortuner? Has better brakes but structure/build wise?

And 3X times more weight for doors, really
...how?
Old 23rd November 2015, 12:19   #495
ISO
BANNED

Friends, is this VARICOR 400 engine, same with different tuning or altogether new engine?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks