Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2019, 19:24   #2626
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
When I wanted to upgrade to 16 inch alloys from City, service advisor from Trivandrum told me it might affect the drive shafts and the CVT transmission system. He knew about my highway running. Already Jazz has hard suspension, I was thinking to move to the 14 inch wheels with higher profile (which used to come with the older gen base variant). 16 inch will make it stiffer due to lower profile. I had experimented with 185/65 R15 last month but I reverted back to 175/65 due to handling. I felt as if it was straining the steering rack assembly and the car felt floating.

Honda guys and even in OLX you will see people selling OEM alloys for insane prices. I asked showroom guys to provide me the breakup

Overall they will quote around 35600.
1. Alloy wheel : 6400 per piece ( 25600 for 4 )
2. Lug nuts: 1000 per piece ( 4000 for 4 )
3. Honda OEM wheel cap hub: 1400 per piece ( 5600 for 4 ) - Never buy these plastic ones.

I just purchased the wheels from them. We can reuse the original nuts and I ordered hub caps from Aliexpress (58 mm). One of the advantages of buying from showroom is that these alloy designs are already tested. In case one of the alloys gets damaged we can order a single piece. I was not satisfied with the quality of alloy wheels available in the local market. I shortlisted HRS H770 but I could not get hold of black rims. The other one was Momo Hyperstar Evo ( 6J ). In Kerala it is very difficult to source 5.5 J alloys with proper PCD. Most of them are 6.5 and 7J. If you have budget, you should check out Momo range. You should be able to use your original tyres with them. The minimum quote I received for Momo's were 38k which was out of my budget. Let me know if you can source them at a cheaper rate
Thanks rahulskumar, that certainly was a very informative post! I was under the impression that the most affordable option for getting the City's alloys would be to check with a reputed tire store where owners would swap the OEM alloys and tires soon after delivery. So brand new but less costly than the showroom ones.

I had a set of Neo alloys on my Fiat Punto that greatly improved the look of the car. However, eventually bad roads caught up with the alloys and however much balancing I did, I could never get it perfectly setup and there would be some minor vibrations at higher speeds. Eventually, I went back to OEM wheels and that was the end of my experiences with after market alloys. Now the Neo alloys are lying around my house, much to the ire of the home minister. So OEM alloys from a different car are the way to go for me!

I assume the hub caps would be the same size across Honda's OEM wheels. Would you know if that is correct? I was looking on Aliexpress to get some replacement ones but wasnt too sure of the sizing.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 19:44   #2627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Eventually, I went back to OEM wheels and that was the end of my experiences with after market alloys. Now the Neo alloys are lying around my house, much to the ire of the home minister. So OEM alloys from a different car are the way to go for me

I assume the hub caps would be the same size across Honda's OEM wheels. Would you know if that is correct? I was looking on Aliexpress to get some replacement ones but wasnt too sure of the sizing.
I have a long story to tell about Neo wheels and one of their dealers in Nerul, I have mentioned about it somewhere in this thread. The rim paint came out within 200 kms of driving. Another issue was that the dealer had sold me 7j rims ,moreover he installed the original 175 tire on these. It was my mistake that I did not do much research before buying these wheels. I lost control when I was travelling to Pune. I aborted my plan and went straight to the dealer. He won't accept his mistake. After fighting with dealer for about a month, I started speaking with Neo directly. They replaced the complete set of 4 with new ones. The manager in Neo was awesome. The delay occured due to dealer intervention and some gst calculations. When I tried to sell these brand new ones outside, all were quoting 50% of purchase price. My parents were about to throw me out from my house for wasting so much time.

The only good brands that I am aware off and I did a bit of research were Momo's,HRS and BBS. I even checked with Nikhil from team bhp. The problem with local brands is that sometimes we may not be able to source single piece as their design keeps changing. Some of them even crack while running. Some are multi pcd alloys and might not be strong enough.There was a thread where Neo provided alloys of XUV cracked. Momo's have standard designs and we should be able to source single piece.

You can get oem ones from tire shops but why to take risk without knowing the history. But them only if you know the owner very well else it is better to purchase new ones from showroom. I had to wait for a week to get them delivered. I am not sure about the hub caps. Most probably it should be of same size.

Chinese alloys won't last and they are very risky for my night drives. The original steel rims were providing more comfort, next time when I get back to tvm I will switch.

Last edited by rahulskumar : 17th July 2019 at 20:08.
rahulskumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 21:57   #2628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a long story to tell about Neo wheels and one of their dealers in Nerul, I have mentioned about it somewhere in this thread. The rim paint came out within 200 kms of driving.
rahulskumar, I do recall your post and that was another good reason for me to definitely not pursue these Indian brands any longer. I agree the international brands are a huge step up in quality but yeah, the headache of sourcing a replacement alloy in case one gets damaged, is all too real.

Quote:
You can get oem ones from tire shops but why to take risk without knowing the history. But them only if you know the owner very well else it is better to purchase new ones from showroom. I had to wait for a week to get them delivered. I am not sure about the hub caps. Most probably it should be of same size.
That is a very good point. I have seen numerous cases of cars being taken straight from delivery to the tire shop for alloy replacement and tire upgrades. I too did the same when I bought the Jazz though it was only to upgrade the tires. So there is a high probability of getting a set of alloys that have done only 10 - 15 kms (i.e. Honda showroom to tire shop) at a price lower than what the dealership is selling the brand new alloys for. This is assuming the tire shop dealer is reputed and honest and doesnt try palming off damaged, used wheels to unsuspecting customers!

Anyways, here is my full list of ideal upgrades for the Jazz that will keep me happy and off the radar of the snooping officials who dont like modified cars in Kerala
- Remap. Who doesnt like more power? Wolf Moto quoted a price of around Rs 15,000 last year but they hadnt done any Jazz 1.2's at that time. Has anyone bitten the bullet and have a dyno chart as well? Or am I being too hopeful?
- Wheels. The 3 options I listed earlier. I think I'll eventually go with the painting option for now and also get the big chrome part at the back done as well.
- Seats. The beige seats are beginning to show signs of regular usage and Im not a big fan of the colour. Im thinking of going with fabric seats in black to make them more usable. The beige seat belts will stick out like a sore thumb but its a small price to pay.
- Steering wheel cover. The OEM leather cover is giving up slowly thanks to my sweaty palms.
- Paddle shift extensions. I didnt even know these were a thing until I saw suhaas307's post on his excellent VW Polo thread. I saw a few options on aliexpress but Im not sure if they are a direct fit or not.
Old 17th July 2019, 22:22   #2629
BHPian

Quote:

- Remap. Who doesnt like more power? Wolf Moto quoted a price of around Rs 15,000 last year but they hadnt done any Jazz 1.2's at that time. Has anyone bitten the bullet and have a dyno chart as well? Or am I being too hopeful?
- Seats. The beige seats are beginning to show signs of regular usage and Im not a big fan of the colour. Im thinking of going with fabric seats in black to make them more usable. The beige seat belts will stick out like a sore thumb but its a small price to pay.
Can we remap non-turbo petrol engines, what did they tell you?

I was searching for racing seats. These are much lighter in weight than OEM ones. If I can manage to reduce 100 kgs, I believe low pick up issue will get resolved.
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 09:24   #2630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishfull View Post
Has anybody tried painting the jazz alloys? I feel some detailing would do wonders to the looks of those alloys -a black and silver combination may be? Will be lite on the pocket also. I loved the all black look of exclusive edition too.
Stock alloys indeed are super boring to look at. That's one of the reasons I went for exclusive edition over normal VX, ofcourse apart from the dirt-magnet beige fabric seat covers & black spoiler. They add some character to the car's otherwise plane-jane looks(specially in white & red).

Honda Jazz : Official Review-capture.jpg
SoumenD is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 12:06   #2631
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can we remap non-turbo petrol engines, what did they tell you?

I was searching for racing seats. These are much lighter in weight than OEM ones. If I can manage to reduce 100 kgs, I believe low pick up issue will get resolved.
Remaps are possible but for a naturally aspirated engine, the gains will not be much. Realistically it will be below 10%. So our expectations shouldnt be sky high.

Now this is not specific to wolf moto or the Jazz, but for any remap, the real point of interest for me, is where are the gains made? Low down or mid range or at the top? A few years ago, I would have prefered more power on the highways, but now I feel I have an internal safe top speed that is below what the Jazz can actually do. I would want more grunt low down and a better mid range. All of this, is best measured through a dyno, of the electronic kind, not the human one. Hence my search for a remap with a dyno reading to back it up.

For racing seats, I would suggest getting in touch with N1 Racing (http://www.n1-racing.com) or Red Rooster Performance (https://redroosterperformance.com/).
Old 22nd July 2019, 14:18   #2632
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Remaps are possible but for a naturally aspirated engine, the gains will not be much. Realistically it will be below 10%. So our expectations shouldnt be sky high.
Today I received a call from Wolf Moto with an update regarding my enquiry for remaps of the 1.2 petrol Honda engine. There are 2 ECUs used by Honda - Bosch and Keihin. Wolf Moto has cracked the Keihin ECU and has successfully remapped a petrol Brio 1.2 with a manual gearbox. The owner is very happy with the results. Wolf Moto claims 10 - 12% gains with the most significant benefits resulting in a strong mid range. They do not have a dyno result for the same since the nearest dyno unit is in Coimbatore. So far they havent done the remap for the CVT gearbox + 1.2 engine combination.

They are working on switchable maps for the Keihin ECU while also working on how to crack the Bosch ECU. The price remains Rs 15,000 for the ECU remap.

Since I am a complete newbie to this, I had a few basic questions for them which they patiently answered. They explained that the lag that is felt is from both the CVT gearbox and the tuned for efficiency 1.2 litre engine. For those who follow the Polo upgrades, you would have seen that there are separate updates available for the DSG gearbox as well as the cracker of the TSI engine. I was asking Wolf Moto if this similar two step approach would be possible with the Honda CVT + engine combination. Since they havent done a Honda CVT based car remap yet, they havent been in a position to create the necessary protocol for updating the CVT gearbox.

Keeping aside the CVT related updates, my other question was around the suitability of the current remap to my usage. Your mileage may vary on this front. As I mentioned earlier, they had explained that the most gains were in the mid range. However, my usage is primarily in Cochin which has narrow roads and one can maintain only low speeds. Besides that I do some highway drives where the car maintains steady speeds. In addition to this, the CVT gearbox inherently keeps shifting up and maintains low revs. Hence on paper, the mid range gains would not translate well on the road in D mode because the engine would always be below these big gains. In S mode though, things would be different but I have used D mode for more than 95% of the kilometers done in my car.

So I personally would prefer more gains in the low to mid range for my usage and the current CVT gearbox configuration. Wolf Moto is willing to develop custom maps which is a good sign.

Last edited by neil.jericho : 22nd July 2019 at 14:19.
Old 23rd July 2019, 08:36   #2633
Senior - BHPian

Wow time flies. It's already 3 months and time for 2nd free service. Have clocked 4100kms, long term mileage being 12.3kpl on MID. Would be dropping it for the service today. Anything specific one needs to be expecting in this service?

Last edited by SoumenD : 23rd July 2019 at 08:51.
Old 23rd July 2019, 09:02   #2634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Wow time flies. It's already 3 months and time for 2nd free service. Have clocked 4100kms, long term mileage being 12.3kpl on MID. Would be dropping it for the service today. Anything specific one needs to be expecting in this service?
Just finished my City's second free service a couple of weeks back. Again, nothing much that they do in this one except for the overall checkup and top up of fluids if need be. Bill amount = Rs.0. Nothing much to expect unless there are any specific issues that you seek to have addressed.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 12:01   #2635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Just finished my City's second free service a couple of weeks back. Again, nothing much that they do in this one except for the overall checkup and top up of fluids if need be. Bill amount = Rs.0. Nothing much to expect unless there are any specific issues that you seek to have addressed.
Thanks. Our services will always be spaced a couple of weeks apart. You got yours' 2 weeks before me I Guess?

Does City too have 6 months/10000kms service post the free services are over? I don't understand why its needed for the Jazz when WR-V, essentially the same car has 10k kms & 1 year service interval.
SoumenD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 12:09   #2636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Our services will always be spaced a couple of weeks apart. You got yours' 2 weeks before me I Guess?

Does City too have 6 months/10000kms service post the free services are over? I don't understand why its needed for the Jazz when WR-V, essentially the same car has 10k kms & 1 year service interval.
Yup mine was delivered a couple of weeks before yours!

City has the same 6 monthly service interval as well, which is quite unnecessary. I did ask the service guys whether Honda has any plans of increasing the service interval, but no such information was forthcoming. And with extended warranty, the customer is locked into that service interval as well
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 12:15   #2637
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't understand why its needed for the Jazz when WR-V, essentially the same car has 10k kms & 1 year service interval.
From what I heard, Honda got a lot of negative feedback from Jazz owners complaining about the 6 month service intervals. So when the launched the WRV which is essentially the same Jazz platform, they increased the service interval to 1 year to keep new buyers happy.

However, had Honda also changed the service interval to 1 year on the Jazz, it would have been a silent admission that the 6 month service intervals were not required for the car and were more to keep dealers happy. So they have retained the 6 month interval on the Jazz. On the plus side, when you complete your warranty you can move to annual services only.

Where are you getting your car serviced?
Old 23rd July 2019, 12:17   #2638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I did ask the service guys whether Honda has any plans of increasing the service interval, but no such information was forthcoming. And with extended warranty, the customer is locked into that service interval as well
Well, even if they change the interval in future, it would be applicable for new vehicles am sure once the facelift comes in. The older ones(like us) are the cash-cows which I doubt they will want to let go of. Specially the dealer lobby would be totally against it as service is where they make their buck majorly. Specially in current market situation where they are letting go of some of their profit margins in order to crack the deal. Case in point : We both

Quote:
... would have been a silent admission that the 6 month service intervals were not required for the car and were more to keep dealers happy.
Precisely.

Quote:
On the plus side, when you complete your warranty you can move to annual services only.
Well, with extended warranty am stuck with them for 4 years as of now.

And its not like those 6 months service would be any cheaper compared to baleno/i20's. Infact am guessing the sum of both services would supersede that of its peers, eventually making the maintenance of Jazz pricier.

Quote:
Where are you getting your car serviced?
Dakshin honda, hosur road, Bangalore.

Last edited by SoumenD : 23rd July 2019 at 12:29.
SoumenD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 13:40   #2639
BHPian

Dear All,

I am returning to India in September after spending 29 years overseas, mainly in Singapore and Australia. I need to buy a car. It will have to be a petrol automatic. I've been checking out the various options on the Internet. I had a look at the SUVs but wasn't impressed by what's on offer. Among the hatchbacks the only one that I liked was the Jazz. Among the sedans I liked the Verna, City and Vento 1.2 TSI. If I decide to go in for the Jazz I need some advise.

Chennai is my hometown. Being an ex air force officer I plan to buy the car through the CSD. Which dealer in Chennai would you recommend? What additional points do I need to look out for? What would be the on road price for the top of the range Jazz?

Much appreciate tips and guidance from BHPians.

I look forward to your response.

Thanks in advance. Best regards,

Vidyadhar
Shivaji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 18:37   #2640
BANNED

Top end, petrol, is VX CVT will be approx 10.50 OTR, non- CSD price. Add another 50 k for the exclusive edition.

Couple of threads to help you.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatch...zz-vx-cvt.html (Which AT? Amaze vs Jazz vs Micra vs pre-owned ones. EDIT: Booked Jazz VX CVT)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...7-35-lakh.html (2018 Honda Jazz launched at Rs. 7.35 lakh)
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks