Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2020, 18:48   #2821
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
Guys, for those of you who purchased a CVT in 2019, what was the on-road price you had paid and for which variant?
10.7L for VX CVT exclusive edition* in Bangalore. Included upto 4th year warranty, 1 year RSA, 3 years 3rd party and 1 year zero dep insurance as far as I remember.

*This edition was 20k over the VX. Came with rear spoiler, perforated leather seats, black alloys, Jazz branded door sills & some side decals.

Last edited by SoumenD : 18th July 2020 at 18:55.
Old 21st July 2020, 23:38   #2822
BHPian

Honda Jazz GK VX MT iVtech - 5 year report

My Jazz completed 5 years two days ago, so I thought this may be a good time to file a long-ish term report. I hope that this mini-review is relevant to the Team-BHP audience, as the car remains on sale today, and some may be considering it as a pre-owned purchase.

Here are some basic facts about the car:

Variant: VX Petrol (‘iVtec’)
Manual transmission
Purchased 19th July 2015
Kms done: 47K

Other cars I own (or have significant experience with) for context:

2002 FIAT Palio 1.6 GTX – owned from new (and still owned)
2006 Honda City GXi (‘Dolphin’ City) – owned from new (and still owned)
2019 Honda Civic ZX MT Petrol – owned from new (and still owned)
2010 Ford Figo diesel – significant driving experience

Brief background on the purchase decision: Since we got married in 2013, I had been motivating my wife to replace the Zen Estilo she had been driving since her student days. She had always admired the GD Jazz’ looks, and when the new GK Jazz arrived, we went to check it out. Interestingly, I was in Hyderabad on launch day (July 8, 2015) and she was back at our base in Noida, so we checked out the car severally! Both of us were sold on the Jazz immediately. No other cars were considered or checked out as she had already rejected the i20 about a year ago, and we had burnt our fingers with endless delivery delays on the EcoSport. Variant choice was also clear from the beginning – it had to be a manual, petrol, VX.

Since delivery was so close to the launch date, there was no India-specific feedback on the car. But the following factors assured me to buy an early-run car:

1.The Fit / Jazz had already been on sale in global markets since 2013

2.The tech on the car was basic and hard to go wrong with. Example: manual transmission, naturally aspirated, port injected. No GDI / TFSI, no DSG etc.

3.Honda’s general reputation (although there have been slip-ups, globally)

This car was my wife’s daily driver from 2015, till 2019 when we bought the Civic and the Civic became her daily driver. Since April 2019, the Jazz has been my daily driver from, although I had probably already driven it more than she had over 4 years!

Places driven to: Apart from the humdrum city use, this car has been driven fairly extensively in Uttarakhand, including Gangotri. In the South, we have been to places like Goa and Ooty (Ooty had a surprisingly steep climb!)

And now, the key bits of this mini-review –

What I like about this car:

1.Engine smoothness: while the car has a mere 89 bhp and makes decent power only after 3000 rpm, the engine smoothness and rev-happiness make up for it. Even at 6000 rpm, it does not sound stressed or strained. The oil I use (elaborated upon later in this report) contributes to this, too. And there is something to be said about driving a slow car fast - can be very satisfying!

2.No real vices: All the basic controls work without any ‘weirdness’ – not something which can be said of all cars even today. The clutch action is very natural, the braking progressive, the gear-shift quite precise, the lighting has a good spread, focus and brightness (for a halogen unit) and so on. One gets the impression of a well thought-out product for a global audience

3.Seating comfort, roominess: Roominess is the biggest plus point of this car, and enough has been written about this already. One odd effect of such good accommodation is that it is not easy to upgrade from this car at a reasonable budget! Before we fixated on buying the 2019 Civic (and that is another story), I had been mulling buying another car to retire the Palio to occasional duties. So I went to the Jeep showroom to casually check out the Compass, and the overwhelming feeling I had that day was: ‘No way I am spending INR 25 lakh on a car that has just about as much passenger room as the Jazz!’ Seating comfort is reasonably good for its segment and it can accommodate American-sized adults with ease, even when they are seated right behind each other. To illustrate the kind of leg room this car has, here a shot with a child seat in position, a pram lodged in the rear footwell, AND a 5’7” person (the missus) comfortably sitting in the front passenger seat!

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_20190206_232853.jpg

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_20190206_233203.jpg

4.Chassis stiffness: this is a weird one, and I had posted the same on this very thread earlier. Even at high levels of twist (with one wheel 5 inches off the ground), all 5 doors can be opened without even a hint of additional effort. Perhaps this is a contributing factor to the next point.

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img20191109wa0013.jpg

5.Ride, handling and steering: The biggest surprise about the car. The ride vs. handling compromise on this car is, in my view, superior to both my Palio and my friend’s Figo overall. The Palio, specifically, has too soft a rear suspension to have as good body control as the Jazz. I first felt this when I was driving from Meerut to Noida back in 2015 with 4 ‘healthy’ passengers (plus me, of course) and a boot full of luggage. Where the Palio would bottom out, the Jazz took it with aplomb. Even with just me onboard, the Jazz feels more confident in higher-speed turns that the Palio. And no, my Palio’s suspension is not shot and that car has been maintained properly. The electric power steering is quite feelsome, and does not dull feedback like when these systems first appeared in the market. After facing multiple issues with the Palio’s hydraulic power steering, I ask myself ‘is hydraulic power steering even worth the bother?’. Overall, I think that this car can easily handle the 130 bhp it is sold with in other markets.

6.Hassle-free and low-cost ownership: barely anything goes wrong which requires spending money. To date, I have spent around Rs. 3000 on repair (replaced the front discs), but that's about it! Periodic expenses are really low, too – just the usual oil change once a year and filter replacements as per schedule. The car did suffer an AC gas leakage issue in the first few months of ownership, but it was fixed under warranty. The Honda tech said that an ‘O-ring’ had failed, and the issue did not crop up again. This car has barely even required wheel alignment. I got the wheel alignment checked at 40k kms, and the toe was 0.1 degrees off. After 47k, and with wheel alignment done just once, the tyres have fairly even wear:

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_20200721_194607.jpg
Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_20200721_194617.jpg
Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_20200721_194628.jpg
Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_20200721_194636.jpg

The maintenance schedule itself does not demand much periodic work, but I have had consistent feedback from multiple Honda techs that I need not bother too much with check-ups on this car (not that I would change my habits!). Examples:

- I asked for a suspension inspection at around 45k kms. The tech just re-torqued some bolts and said that everything else is fine and that I should not expect any problems with the suspension for a long time
- I asked for a drive belt inspection at the same time. After the check, the Honda tech told me that these can be expected to last till around 90-100 k easily
- I asked for a transmission oil check, and got informal feedback that while it really should be replaced as per schedule, the transaxle oil can easily last even 100k kms without problems

As a Palio owner (with 165k Kms under my belt in that car), I have been pleasantly surprised by the Jazz’ trouble free nature, so far.

Snapshot of the maintenance schedule. Pretty thin, I think.

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_20200721_195002.jpg

What could have been better / irritants; what I miss with respect to newer cars:

1. Low-end throttle response: The car requires a different driving style compared to the other ones I own. With the Palio and dolphin City, being in the wrong gear is rarely a concern. Not so with this car – if I mash the throttle on a steep incline at low RPM, the revs won’t climb at all. My theory is that since this car has an electronic throttle, the throttle plate does not even open fully under high-load low RPM conditions (perhaps for NOx compliance?). The solution, in such cases is to build the revs and then release the clutch. With the revised driving style, however, I have had no problems in driving on steep inclines. In fact, I now prefer it to the Palio (blasphemy, I know!) because this car performs the same with the AC on or off, while the Palio’s AC saps too much power. Comparing the Jazz to the dolphin City, the City is in a different league altogether as far as low-end throttle response is concerned. I joke that the dolphin City perhaps has the most potent 77 horses in existence! The Civic is not comparable as it has a CVT.

2.Sound insulation – specifically firewall insulation and glass thickness (as it is not feasible to fix them aftermarket). Not that the car is loud, but quieter is always better, in my view.

3.Rear camera display is slow to come up from a cold start. The time taken between turning the engine on in reverse gear to the camera display coming on is too slow (20+ seconds, I think).

4.Newer cars have better safety features such as ESP and six airbags, and I miss those things in this car

Note: I really don’t care about convenience features such as a sunroof, push-button start, auto folding mirrors and remote start. They are barely any consideration at all in a vehicle purchase. In fact, I have turned off remote start and auto folding mirrors in the Civic, and hardly ever open the sunroof.

DIY fixes I have had to do on the car: There have been a few opportunities for minor fixes on this car. So far I have:

1.Lubricated the striker plate on the clutch slave cylinder. The clutch started making a ‘kat-kat’ sound after an engine wash. A couple of drops of engine oil in the area shown below fixed it;

2.Taped up the glove box latch: this fixed a slight glove box rattle on some types of rough roads

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_20200721_194849.jpg

3.Padded the B-pillar cladding where it meets the metal. I could hear a faint murmur from the B-pillar on some road surfaces. A little bit of padding fixed it

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_20200721_194743.jpg

Recommendations to owners (and potential buyers):

1.As I have said elsewhere on the forum, use a top-quality engine oil. I started using Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 since after the first oil service and was very happy at the increase in response and smoothness. Since Honda A.S.S. does not allow using owner-supplied engine oil, I decided to even sacrifice the warranty and got the oil changed done outside. At around 42k Kms, I switched to Idemitsu 0w20 Zepro (the one with molybdenum), and I could not be happier! The Jazz’ engine seems to really like this oil and with the Zepro there is no perceptible difference in engine sound between cold- and warm-starts. Suitability of this oil (over the 5W30) in very hot weather is an open question, however. In Bangalore (where we live now), though, it should be fine.

2.Door damping – I got all four doors and the rear hatch damped around two years ago, and I strongly recommend it. It improved the door-slam quality, reduced the intrusion from outside noises and improved the performance of the stock audio system.

The next steps planned are: better tyres and higher quality coaxial speakers. Would update this thread when that happens.

Concluding remarks: I really like this car! While a detailed comparison with the other cars I listed above would be way too much to go into, here is my little preference list between the cars that I own:

1) GK Jazz > The absolute star from this lot! If I had to drive anywhere, it would be my first pick

2) 10th Civic (2019) > Looks good; superb chassis, suspension and steering; poor seating (especially the front passenger seat)

3) Palio GTX > Superb looks. Feels poorly engineered now in many areas, and the power does not make up for it

4) ‘Dolphin’ City > poor steering feel, ‘slow’ steering ratio, chassis feels nothing special, looks dowdy, superb power-train

Closing this post with some general shots of the car. I hope this has been a helpful write-up. Cheers!

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_20190930_133554__01.jpg

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_20190930_133536__01.jpg

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_20190930_133606__01.jpg

Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_20190930_133619__01.jpg

Last edited by vipul_singh : 22nd July 2020 at 00:05.
vipul_singh is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 08:16   #2823
BHPian

Recently I did a complete DIY speaker upgrade along with door damping. I had upgraded the system 3 years back with Pioneer AVH Z5190BT and recently felt the itch to upgrade the speakers. I purchased 2 pairs of Pioneer TS-C601IN component speakers from local store. Amazon sells at a much cheaper price but I was not sure about the quality and warranty. If you plan to upgrade the oem speakers by yourself, make sure you get hold of the drill bit, the package has a cut out of the hole. Use one size less and then manually grind it to fit the tweeters. Make sure you cover the crossovers with some thermal sponge and 3m tapes so that it wont hit your door pad. Overall it cost more than the quote from shop but at the end it was a satisfying experience.

speakers cost : 4850 X 2 = Rs.9700
spacers: 500 for 4
drill bits: 400 for a set. As it was one time use brought the cheapest. Be very careful not to use the exact size, as there the resulting hole will be slightly bigger due to drill bit play. I recommend you to practice on some waste plastic sheets before you do it on the door pad.

While installing the speakers, make sure you bend the speaker power terminal a bit so that it does not short with the body panel. I drilled new holes 1 mm higher than the default fitting. The magnets are slightly bigger than the oem ones. Be careful with the +ve and -ve terminals, if you fit it reverse the resulting sound output will be less

There were slight vibration from rear door while playing bass music. Later I brought 5 sheets of 3M sound dampening sheets (2mm) from local store for 1900 per sheet. I used 3 sheets to cover rear doors and single sheet for each of the front door. Currently I've used 5 sheets to dampen the doors. Please remove the plastic sheet and make sure the damping sheets are waterproof. Sound quality has definitely improved but I'm not sure about the pricing. Sometimes I feel the price I paid is too much. I hope the 3M sheets are authentic and waterproof. I found you can get 7.5 mm i-cooper damping sheets for 1300 and 2mm for 750 online. May be I should have just went ahead with 2mm i-cooper sheets. I plan to purchase 4 more 2mm i-cooper sheets to cover some more portion of the front door, the rear trunk and the area below the spare wheel where the sheets are not exposed to rain water.

The tweeter set up is exactly the same on all 4 doors, believe me please use component speakers on all 4 doors and the experience is amazing. I usually listen to vocals and I did not even feel the need to use a external amp. The head unit just drives 4x55 watts but enough for my purpose. The speakers are actually not being used at their full capacity but the Honda doors wont withstand the thumps in case you wish to hear with high bass.

Please note, do make a test ride on broken roads before you plan for a long drive. I got amp-error after a 10 km drive and found one of the speaker moved around a bit and touched the body panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz : Official Review-img_20200726_145746.jpg  

Honda Jazz : Official Review-capture2.png  

Honda Jazz : Official Review-capture.png  

Last edited by rahulskumar : 3rd August 2020 at 08:22.
rahulskumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 13:28   #2824
BHPian

Honda Jazz BS6 Site is updated and it comes with the following updates

Exteriors

1. One touch Electric Sunroof. First in segment
2. Redesigned Front Grill
3. LED Headlamps with DRL's, Fog Lamps
4. Redesigned Rear Wing light

Interiors

Seems to be the same with loads of Space. No mention in the site.

I see a booking in my family.
saisree is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 19:08   #2825
BHPian

My friend's Jazz Diesel (2015 model) done around 88k kms has recently started giving a strange problem - the engine switches off suddenly while running. The dashboard displays the engine check-light warning. After thus the car will switch on after 5-10 mins and run normally. The car was sent to authorized Honda service (Sundaram Honda, Salem), they are not able to pin point the root cause. They scan for errors and report that no errors were logged.

Now, this happened more than 5 times, luckily every time it has happened at speeds of 20-30 kmph, so my friend was able to safely pull over. But this seems scary issue.

The Honda Service station are now saying that it could be the Fuel Pump issue, but we aren't convinced about this, since when the car is running its running absolutely fine, there is no lack of power or struggle / sputtering seen from the engine.

If anyone has faced this, please advise what could be wrong here. Thanks in advance.

Reference image below of the check-light:
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz : Official Review-jazz_issue.jpg  

Old 10th August 2020, 19:51   #2826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie98 View Post

If anyone has faced this, please advise what could be wrong here. Thanks in advance.
check the cables of the battery, from the terminals till the other end - they may be loose or chewed by rats.

edit: check out this post from my i10 ownership thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post3310293 (My Dark Knight - Hyundai i10 Kappa Asta A/T W/S EDIT: Sold!)

Last edited by blackasta : 10th August 2020 at 19:53.
Old 14th August 2020, 01:45   #2827

Re: Honda Jazz GK VX MT iVtech - 5 year report

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
My Jazz completed 5 years two days ago, so I thought this may be a good time to file a long-ish term report. I hope that this mini-review is relevant to the Team-BHP audience, as the car remains on sale today, and some may be considering it as a pre-owned purchase.
Thank you for this amazing review, and Yes I am absolutely considering it as a pre-owned purchase. The biggest doubt I had was with the infamous low end torque everyone talks about but you cleared it up with credit to the Palio

How is the experience with the stock infotainment system been for the VX? With the USB, AUX, HDMI cables inside the glovebox and the common complaint of slow boot up of the system at every start-up.

What is the comfort level for the third passenger sitting on the bump in the middle of the magic seat?

How well does the A/C do its job especially at the rear with lack of rear-vents?

Is it common for Jazz to rust at some portions unexpectedly?
Old 14th August 2020, 09:37   #2828
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by onEdge View Post
I have found numerous accounts of Honda cars (along with Mahindra's - including my own - and Hyundai's) developing rust or bubbling of the body paint from underneath due to rust.

Most but not all of these instances are from Mumbai and Chennai. One of these is from Hyderabad.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 22:58   #2829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by onEdge View Post
How is the experience with the stock infotainment system been for the VX? With the USB, AUX, HDMI cables inside the glovebox and the common complaint of slow boot up of the system at every start-up.

What is the comfort level for the third passenger sitting on the bump in the middle of the magic seat?

How well does the A/C do its job especially at the rear with lack of rear-vents?

Hey onEdge! I would attempt to answer your questions point-by-point:

1) The stock audio system on the VX is very basic by today's standards, especially with no Android Auto / Apple CarPlay. The head unit is not too laggy in general use, but the speed of re-establishing a connection with a mobile phone over Bluetooth is slower than other units I have experienced. Furthermore, upon restarting the car, the song does not automatically come back on - one has to hit play on the HU or the mobile. I have not had much use with the Aux cables, since I been almost exclusively used the audio system with Google Play Music over Bluetooth. One clear downside with using it this way is that the track details are not displayed on the HU. Additionally, the car has composite speakers (single driver) which limits the frequency response beyond, say, 4000 Hz

2) I view this car as more of a 4-seater than the 5-seater it is certified as. There are 3 key reasons for that: a) No three-point belt for the middle passenger b) no headrest for the middle passenger (whiplash protection) and c) the seat hump in the middle - while it is fine for a couple of hours worth of use, beyond that it would get uncomfortable. You would find greater cabin width in other cars such as the Creta, which helps with carrying 3 passengers.

3) In my initial experience with the car in NCR (very hot and humid conditions), the rear seat occupants did complain a bit. So I started using the 'auto' fan speed on the AC, which can run the fan faster than even the maximum user-selectable speed. There were no complaints post that, especially since I added magnetic sunshades at the rear. Of course, if the vehicle has been soaking in the sun at 40 plus temperatures, it would take a few minutes to cool down, even in moving traffic. Overall, I would characterise the aircon as 'good' rather than great, even though on one instance, it did maintain an acceptable temperature inside the cabin while the outside temperature gauge read 49 degrees Celsius. I was the only occupant in the car, however so it does not directly tie in to your question

4) I have not experienced any rust or corrosion at all, but the car has been housed in a covered parking, and we do not see as much rain in NCR or even Bengaluru, as in Mumbai. So local feedback would guide you better, in this respect.

Hope that helped.

Last edited by vipul_singh : 16th August 2020 at 23:24.
vipul_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 10:13   #2830
BHPian

Hello ! Hope you guys are doing well.
I'm a proud owner of a 10 month old Jazz VX CVT. I have been facing this problem on the ICE. I'm extremely confused as to what the reason for this is.
There are random marks on the screen. Have been told various reasons for this.
1)Moisture which will go away eventually ( not to worry). Its not going!
2) Use hair dryer to remove.
3) Remove the top screen layer. (Had removed the initial screen guard on first day itself. Tried and could not removed anything more.
4) Even this -Its extremely dangerous for the electronics. The unit is defective and must be replaced.

Whereas, I'm thankful to the folks for whatever feedback I have got.
It has really confused me to the actual reason.I'm hoping to get some answers here.

During last service when I asked the SA, was asked to take a video of same and send it which hasn't yielded any results.

Attaching pictures for reference. The last pic is from yesterday. This happens every single day.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz : Official Review-capture-1.png  

Honda Jazz : Official Review-62ed3e898a934eab934411b535775c1f.jpg  

Last edited by vinitbhavi : 27th August 2020 at 10:17. Reason: Spacing
vinitbhavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 13:00   #2831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
I have been facing this problem on the ICE. I'm extremely confused as to what the reason for this is.
I guess its the moisture and I have faced it once and it happens only when the AC is on. If this is similar to the mentioned , Adjust your blower in the middle towards the driver side to throw air a bit upwards. Its the blower angle that makes this moisture to accumulate under the screen.
Let us know if it worked?

Last edited by saisree : 27th August 2020 at 13:17.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 13:13   #2832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
I guess its the moisture and I have faced it once and it happens only when the AC is on. If this is similar to the mentioned above, Adjust your blower in the middle towards the driver side to throw air a bit upwards. Its the blower angle that makes this moisture to accumulate under the screen.
Let us know if it worked?
Hii thanks for this. This happens every single day and Im ready to try anything to get rid of it.
FYI blower position is always as mentioned , towards driver and upward.
Cant seem to believe that's the problem.
Old 27th August 2020, 13:18   #2833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
I have been facing this problem on the ICE. I'm extremely confused as to what the reason for this is.
It's due to condensation of moisture. I face it sometimes as well. The sealing of the AVN unit is poor, and I can even see some dust under the screen in my unit.
It normally goes away after sometime so I am not that much bothered by it. Happens when the blower is operating in high fan speeds. I keep my AC on auto 26C all round the year. I think moisture laden air with quick cooling of the AC causes this.

Suggest you to not peel any layer or use heatgun / hair dryer etc, as you may void the warranty and cause irreversible damage to the unit.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 13:18   #2834
BHPian

Ok. But again, check both the blowers and see if you sense a cold air on top of the screen. Its the variance in the temperature that causing the issue.
Old 27th August 2020, 15:30   #2835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
It's due to condensation of moisture. I face it sometimes as well. The sealing of the AVN unit is poor, and I can even see some dust under the screen in my unit.
It normally goes away after sometime so I am not that much bothered by it. Happens when the blower is operating in high fan speeds. I keep my AC on auto 26C all round the year. I think moisture laden air with quick cooling of the AC causes this.

Suggest you to not peel any layer or use heatgun / hair dryer etc, as you may void the warranty and cause irreversible damage to the unit.
Thanks for this! Mine does not go in the limited one hour of driving at least.
Does however change shape and form. My AC is always set at 24 and blower at 2.
Agree with you and have avoided peeling or using any external device.
Have even heard same can be replaced under warranty but the replacement unit was equally bad or worse.
Something not acceptable from Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Ok. But again, check both the blowers and see if you sense a cold air on top of the screen. Its the variance in the temperature that causing the issue.
OK thanks saisree, will check that as well.

Last edited by vinitbhavi : 27th August 2020 at 15:32.

Most Viewed