Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2021, 20:00   #2941

Re: Honda Jazz : Official Review

Hi everyone. I've been eyeing a Jazz CVT (pre owned) to replace my Eon and recently have found a good option at Pride Honda Hyderabad.

Primarily the needs are:
1. A bigger, more spacious car
2. Automatic (CVT)
3. Reliable and hassle free (should last at least 5 years)
4. The upgrade should be light on the pocket, hence prefer the pre-owned route.

Jazz has always ticked all the boxes. We went for a test drive today and the car looked and felt good. Now we're in a dilemma whether to take the plunge or not.

To provide more context, my current ride (Eon) is 5 years old (bought in 2016) and has run 34000 kms till now. Our average running before covid was around 8k-9k kms per year, most of which was for city and airport runs, with the occasional road-trip one or two times in a year.

The ownership has been totally hassle free till now, but we plan some more road-trips and Eon has some major limitations which hold us back. Lack of any kind of safety and strength, poor GC, underpowered engine for for highway drives and limited size and boot space.

The Jazz in question is V CVT, 2016 model and has a similar mileage as the Eon (37000 kms). As we're buying from a Honda dealership, they're offering 1 year warranty on engine and gearbox. They're also willing to trade in our Eon (still waiting for evaluation to complete).

After going through the posts here, the overall feel I get it that most owners with 4-5 year old CVT Jazz have had a hassle free ownership experience. But as we plan to use the car for at least 5 more years, would love to hear the opinion of the more seasoned owners on this thread. What would be your suggestion/advice and would you have taken the plunge?
Old 2nd June 2021, 23:13   #2942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhawal20 View Post
What would be your suggestion/advice and would you have taken the plunge?
The only issue you might face will be with the music system. Mechanically Honda's last long. Just check for rust and rattles, other wise the car is a keeper. Make sure to verify the service history and CVT oil has been changed every 2 yrs or 40k kms I keep changing it every 20k kms

Thanks
rahulskumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 08:58   #2943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The ownership has been totally hassle free till now, but we plan some more road-trips and Eon has some major limitations which hold us back. Lack of any kind of safety and strength, poor GC, underpowered engine for for highway drives and limited size and boot space.
I am not entirely sure that these downsides will be completely addressed in the Jazz.

It is a bigger car; a bit more reliable. It can be butter smooth.

Safety is not anything to write home about - only 2 air bags. No pre-tensioner even. Structurally it might be a bit better.

Honda service is so-so - they always try to rip you off.

The Jazz is not very happy on the highways. At 90 kmph it is very happy. If that is you, it might work. It is not very happy if you try to push it or even if you want to cruise at 100.

GC is slightly better than the old City.

If you are paying under ₹ 1 lakh for the 'upgrade' then it might be worth it. Else no.
Old 3rd June 2021, 09:23   #2944
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
The Jazz is not very happy on the highways. At 90 kmph it is very happy. If that is you, it might work. It is not very happy if you try to push it or even if you want to cruise at 100.
Thanks for sharing.

This alone ought to be the clincher and makes the case against the Jazz for those looking for mile munchers. I have long since learnt that even though I prefer to cruise at 90 Kmph, if the car struggles to stretch its legs beyond that speed, it gets downright boring on long drives of 8+ hours.

I'll never forget the moment in 2011 when I could gently press the accelerator of a Diesel Manza at 90 Kmph in 5th gear to overtake slower traffic; it rocketed effortlessly to 130 Kmph, and once the overtaking was achieved I could go back to my relaxed style. This is a must-have capability on our highways in my opinion.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 10:16   #2945
BHPian

I don't agree that Jazz is not happy on highways. I have a 2016 VX manual, and I can comfortably cruise at 100+ though I limit myself to 100kmph with occasionally reaching 120kmph. I have driven multiple times between HYD and BLR, with 5 people and luggage couple of times , and never have I felt Jazz was underpowered.
sanchari is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 10:39   #2946
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
I don't agree that Jazz is not happy on highways. I have a 2016 VX manual, and I can comfortably cruise at 100+ though I limit myself to 100kmph with occasionally reaching 120kmph. I have driven multiple times between HYD and BLR, with 5 people and luggage couple of times , and never have I felt Jazz was underpowered.
This piques my curiosity - when you're at 100 Kmph, does it feel like you're thrashing the engine if you ask it to do more? I think most people call a car highway-friendly if it has ample reserve power to go beyond cruising speeds whenever needed. 100 Kmph is an approximate cruising speed which most of us are comfortable at.
Old 3rd June 2021, 11:18   #2947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchari View Post
I should have been clearer- I have an automatic. These comments apply to that model, also what the OP was asking about

I can quite imagine the stick is better. The power is more than adequate. The transmission is decent too. But the two together are not good.

The car has been tuned for 'mileage' and punishes you for any attempt at spirited driving.

It is best for city driving. At that it is unparalleled.

I take the Innova if I have to out of town!
Old 3rd June 2021, 12:32   #2948
BHPian

I would have a different opinion though. Jazz CVT has got a real good combination of engine and gearbox. Yes the CVT has got the rubberband effect and the 1.2 ivtec suffers from poor low end power. The car definitely isnt the fastest off the block with 0-40 kmph taking its own sweet time. But in its element it is quite good for its specs. Performance post 60 kmph is more than adequate even in D mode. Unlike the perception, Jazz is a better highway car than city commuter.

The car comfortably cruises @ 1700-1800 rpm for 100 kmph. Stays below 2200 rpm at 120 kmph. Paddle shifters add to the experience (for overtaking, even in D mode). I am very sure this car will be a big step ahead from Hyundai Eon in terms of driving experience.
Turbokick is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 13:48   #2949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
This piques my curiosity - when you're at 100 Kmph, does it feel like you're thrashing the engine if you ask it to do more? I think most people call a car highway-friendly if it has ample reserve power to go beyond cruising speeds whenever needed. 100 Kmph is an approximate cruising speed which most of us are comfortable at.
At 100kmph, its cruising along in a relaxed manner. I have hit 120kmph in few patches and also while overtaking, and at no time did I feel it was running out of breath. The engine is a gem at higher speeds and pretty smooth! Its a good highway machine, and not that good of city commuter mainly due to low end power .

As I said, mine is a MT and it hits 100kmph around 3000rpm. Mileage is best in 80-100 band, it goes down once you start moving above 100kmph.
sanchari is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 10:39   #2950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
I would have a different opinion though. Jazz CVT has got a real good combination of engine and gearbox. Yes the CVT has got the rubberband effect and the 1.2 ivtec suffers from poor low end power. The car definitely isnt the fastest off the block with 0-40 kmph taking its own sweet time. But in its element it is quite good for its specs. Performance post 60 kmph is more than adequate even in D mode. Unlike the perception, Jazz is a better highway car than city commuter.

The car comfortably cruises @ 1700-1800 rpm for 100 kmph. Stays below 2200 rpm at 120 kmph. Paddle shifters add to the experience (for overtaking, even in D mode). I am very sure this car will be a big step ahead from Hyundai Eon in terms of driving experience.
I would 2nd this opinion. I have a 2017 V CVT and have done decent highway drives from Mumbai to places like Goa, Mahabs and numerous Expressway trips.
I agree it's no scorcher ,infact my father's manual Ritz used to feel a bit spirited in 0 to 60kmph stretch. Bit I don't really it's a laggard too. It effortlessly cruises at 100+110 speed and other than initial runs where Introed 140ish speeds on Expressway I have never felt the need to cross 120kmph.
I have driven Other vehicles like Ecosport and City etc comprehensively and they are more punchier for sure but this doesn't mean u will be left hanging while overtaking. Lagging while over taking will mostly happen to to poor planning or over aggressive driving style.
Jazz is an understated vehicle which suits people who are looking for an automatic fuss free hatch with decent space and no real red flags.
Old 6th June 2021, 11:29   #2951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Not at all. Mine is a 2015 VX Petrol Manual and cruises comfortably upto 120 Kmph. It begins to feel a bit strained beyond that.
knockout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 22:04   #2952

Quote:
Hi everyone. I've been eyeing a Jazz CVT (pre owned) to replace my Eon and recently have found a good option at Pride Honda Hyderabad.

Primarily the needs are:
1. A bigger, more spacious car
2. Automatic (CVT)
3. Reliable and hassle free (should last at least 5 years)
4. The upgrade should be light on the pocket, hence prefer the pre-owned route.

Thanks everyone for providing your valuable insight to my query. We were planning to go for negotiations this week, but the car was already sold to someone else in the meanwhile. Hope it serves it's new owner for years.

For us, it's back to the start. Could be a sign that we should rather wait for the Altroz Petrol Automatic or something new altogether
Old 20th June 2021, 12:16   #2953
BHPian

Dear All,
I would like to request your views on service intervals for my Aug 2017 Jazz V CVT. It has been driven approx 34k KM by Now and has been regularly serviced at Arya Honda Mumbai.

1. In the wake of COVID situation and that the car is around 3.5 Yrs old now, should I switch to getting it serviced every 5k Km rather than every 6 Months.

2. I get a maintenance bill of 8-12K per 6M service without any major part upgrade or issue to be resolved. I believe this is on the higher side and would want to try any well reputed FNG in Mumbai,will be helpful if some one can suggest a good FNG near Andheri in Mumbai.
Old 20th June 2021, 18:30   #2954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanks_Jazz View Post
Dear All,
I would like to request your views on service intervals for my Aug 2017 Jazz V CVT. It has been driven approx 34k KM by Now and has been regularly serviced at Arya Honda Mumbai.

1. In the wake of COVID situation and that the car is around 3.5 Yrs old now, should I switch to getting it serviced every 5k Km rather than every 6 Months.

2. I get a maintenance bill of 8-12K per 6M service without any major part upgrade or issue to be resolved. I believe this is on the higher side and would want to try any well reputed FNG in Mumbai,will be helpful if some one can suggest a good FNG near Andheri in Mumbai.
I am at about the same vintage as you, 58k- may17 model. Once out of warranty, straightaway shifted to a FNG (@mantralaya) and moved to a yearly service. I go as per the service manual, get the jobs done in front of me. 3-4k per service. Only time thereafter I went to the service centre again was for the transmission fluid replacement.
handsofsteel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 07:47   #2955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanks_Jazz View Post
Dear All,

Too high. Just ask them to do basic work, remove the other items
1. Synthetic oil
2. CVT oil every 20k ( 2k )
3. may be brake cleaning etc

Basic service usually cost me around 4k. Unless there are some part replacement, I do not expect the service cost this high. I buy cabin and air filter from boodmo and these are DIY
No need to do the tyre alignment from showroom. Alignment is usually within the limits, much better than Marutis when driven on same road conditions
Mine is out of warranty now and I will just follow 10k kms routine service from here onwards. The usual 6 months service is an overkill just to mint money and now a days they even charge hefty money for sanitizing the car. WRV uses the same engine/oil etc and the service interval is 10k kms/12 months. So dont worry and keep enjoying your ride

Last edited by rahulskumar : 2nd July 2021 at 07:50.
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks