Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2018, 19:52   #8326
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
These Elanzos have another 60K left in their life. I'm also waiting for them to wear out so that I can buy new shoes..
I hope you were kidding. They are almost at the end of their life. Check the tread wear indicator. Its almost close to wearing out.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 21:09   #8327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
These Elanzos have another 60K left in their life. I'm also waiting for them to wear out so that I can buy new shoes.

I have completed 45K and they are as good as new. Looking at them, replacement appears difficult.
I have a similar mileage as you at about 43k kms. Those tires still have a lot of treads left in them. Very little tire wear can be noticed. Tire noise has increased multiple folds. If I hold on for a little longer, If I have the patience to take them till 60K kms, then I could justify the not so necessary tire change.
Old 13th February 2018, 01:30   #8328
BHPian

Did Delhi-Sambhar Salt Lake-Delhi on Saturday with BHPians from Delhi/NCR. 815 kms of butter smooth roads, horrible roads and make your own roads

Odometer crossed 63,000 kms on the trip. The overall FE as displayed on the MID was 20.7 Kmpl. Took the car for high pressure wash the next day especially for the under body, the cladding color had changed completely after driving on the salt lake bed.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_1124.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_1194.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_1145.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_1190.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_1192.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_1206.jpg
sinharishi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th February 2018, 23:53   #8329
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting info about front brake pads in S-Cross

I have posted before on this thread that S-Cross and SX4 in India have same brake pads. They are made by TVS Girling - Rane. But, Maruti has given different parts numbers and charging Rs. 2750 for S-Cross and Rs. 2000 for SX4.

S-Cross
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20180213_233314.jpg
SX4
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20180213_233302.jpg
I was looking for performance brake pads. EBC did not have Green Stuff for S-Cross. But green stuff was available for SX4. It was surprising as I believed both have same pads. Mystery solved : S-Cross International gets slightly different brake pads compared to Indian S-Cross. They are little bigger. Maruti has done cost cutting and used same SX4 pads in S-Cross, still charging us more .

S-Cross Europe pads
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-screenshot_20180213233508709_com.android.chrome.png
S-Cross India / SX4 India
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-screenshot_20180213233653303_com.android.chrome.png

Pics taken from https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/

If you are looking to order performance brake pads for S-Cross from abroad, do not order the ones listed for S-Cross. It will not fit. We need brake pads with dimensions 137 x 53 x 16 mm. This is same as SX4 Japan pads.

I will list down the options and part numbers which will fit our S-Cross

1. EBC Green Stuff : DP21636
2. Brembo : P23126
3. Mintex : MDB2847
4. Bosch : 0 986 494 337

Note : The websites would say these are for SX4 Japan. But this is the one which will fit S-Cross India.

I would be getting EBC Green stuff soon. Karan Shah from KS Motorsports was very helpful.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 14th February 2018 at 00:01.
Dr.Naren is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th February 2018, 09:37   #8330
Senior - BHPian

Last week, I got to drive my BIL's brand new Ford Ecosport 1.5 Diesel Titanium+.

The first thought that came in my mind when I sat on the driver seat of the Ecosport is that SCross is really spacious. I felt a bit congested / claustrophobic in the Ecosport in comparison.

Secondly, I did not like the design of the side AC vents. Some weird sloping triangular shaped vents are not to my liking.

Lastly, the boot is smaller and a bit inconvenient in my opinion.

But the overall fit & finish, the superb touch screen display which pops out of the dashboard, and the peppy 1.5 engine are no match for Scross 1.3 at least.
ajay_satpute is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th February 2018, 17:47   #8331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
But the overall fit & finish, the superb touch screen display which pops out of the dashboard, and the peppy 1.5 engine are no match for Scross 1.3 at least.
Did you get a chance to drive it on a Highway? How would you compare the highway performance w.r.t 1.3?
Old 14th February 2018, 17:53   #8332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganpec2002 View Post
Did you get a chance to drive it on a Highway? How would you compare the highway performance w.r.t 1.3?
I did not get to stretch the legs on a proper highway. But whatever ~5 kms I drove Ecosport engine had more punch from lower torque range compared to SCross 1.3. Not sure if it is just me, but I also felt that the NVH is significantly lesser compared to SCross.
Old 14th February 2018, 18:15   #8333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganpec2002 View Post

The Ecosport boasts of a bigger engine (Read: CC) which helps it to curtail the turbo lag much better when compared to the 1.3. You would need to change the gears more often in the 1.3. Out on the highway the 1.3's mid range power comes into picture which is quite good provided you are in the right gear. The Ecosport would be more at ease and would be more linear. Having said that the S-Cross would happily cruise at 120 kmph all day. In fact the 1.3 VGT had better in -gear acceleration than the 90 bhp Ecosport. Ecosport has a better engine here without a doubt but the S-Cross 1.3 is no slouch either, it just needs to be pushed.

PS: Have a S-Cross 1.3 Zeta in my family and have driven friends ecosport 1.5 for a good time.
Waspune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2018, 20:27   #8334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post

If only they would provide an automatic for their diesel engine. If they had this combo, it would have had many many more takers.

Ofcourse, I could say the same thing for the s-cross.
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 12:35   #8335
BHPian

It's surprising to me that Scross is able to move 3000-3500 cars per month with only one engine-transmission combination which is widely reported to be under powered. Note that Nexa showrooms are still relatively lesser in number. This is also despite the presence of Brezza with the same engine-transmission combo !!!.

Maybe a testimony to the faith that people have in Maruti and also the strength of the overall package + pricing for Scross.

If scross had a more powerful diesel option and petrol option along with automatics, this car would probably best Creta in Numbers !!!. After all rivals like Creta, Ecosport, Nexon all have multiple engine options and automatics too.

Maruti is sitting on a major opportunity here !!.
Old 15th February 2018, 14:00   #8336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
If scross had a more powerful diesel option and petrol option along with automatics, this car would probably best Creta in Numbers !!!
It did have a more powerful diesel option. And about 5000 people in the country bought it, over a period of 2 years. The Creta sells more than that every month.

So yes, Maruti did try your suggestion. And no, it was a massive sales flop.
KiloAlpha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 14:22   #8337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
It did have a more powerful diesel option. And about 5000 people in the country bought it, over a period of 2 years. The Creta sells more than that every month.

He might have suggested powerful engine at the current price point.

Quote:
It's surprising to me that Scross is able to move 3000-3500 cars per month with only one engine-transmission combination which is widely reported to be under powered.
I m a bit surprised with the 3K units for the last three months. I would still wait and see if they could sustain the same number in the coming months(At least Feb and March). With the introduction of petrol engine, they might add another 1K unit and can be called as an average success. They need the Vitara S to compete with the Creta. But without the powerful Fiat engines (as per their recent press release they are going to make their own diesel engines), I am not sure what would be the game plan. Will they stop the Scross(as Vitara S with 1.5L diesel would kill it anyway) or not introduce Vitara S in India?

Last edited by jaganpec2002 : 15th February 2018 at 14:23.
Old 15th February 2018, 14:40   #8338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post

The simple answer to this is - Styling matters !!!.

The market didn't accept the earlier styling. Apparently the new one has been well received !!.
vishnurp99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 15:12   #8339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The simple answer to this is - Styling matters !!!.

The market didn't accept the earlier styling. Apparently the new one has been well received !!.
Yes styling does matter, to an extent, but the pricing fiasco was what made the car esp the 1.6 variant a failure the first time round. The 1.3 was selling in decent number prior to facelift and it continues to do a bit better due to the styling (which I feel is too in your face BTW ).

Since the sales did not recover much even after the price correction, I assume that Maruti quickly decided to kill the 1.6 variant. A pity really, considering what a good all rounder the car is, or rather was.
Old 16th February 2018, 19:24   #8340
BHPian

Our S-Cross just landed yesterday night. The RM has promised to have it brought and kept in the dealership premises by tomorrow.

Will be going for the initial PDI soon, before the car is invoiced and sent for registration.
ts1506 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks