Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2015, 20:43   #436
BHPian

The car was on display at South City Mall, Kolkata. It was caffeine brown color, 1.6 alpha.

I am very surprised to see the improvement of the interior of the car. The backseat is spacious and has very good legroom, but I missed the luxury of backseat of my Vista.

I'll get a test drive of the 1.6 version on Tuesday. It seemed there are not many takers for the 1.6. The manager told me that the expected ex-showroom price of the vehicle is from 8 - 12 lacs.
Old 2nd August 2015, 21:01   #437
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

MSIL might price the s cross at a premium. But they should have given some feature extra for the 1.6. The whole strategy would be to bring a product with a high performance and showcase it to media and public. Sell the cheaper 1.3 as it would seem to be vfm compared to the 1.6 competition. Seems like I 'll have to modify my plan. Probably I 'll have to omit the 1.3
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 21:09   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
MSIL might price the s cross at a premium. But they should have given some feature extra for the 1.6. The whole strategy would be to bring a product with a high performance and showcase it to media and public. Sell the cheaper 1.3 as it would seem to be vfm compared to the 1.6 competition. Seems like I 'll have to modify my plan. Probably I 'll have to omit the 1.3
Good point Sandy! 1.3 MJD might look VFM compared to 1.6 MJD. However will it be VFM compared to 1.5 TDCi on the EcoSport or the 1.4 CRDi on the Creta. I am not so sure.
Old 2nd August 2015, 21:20   #439
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Nice review.
Nice vehicle too.
I like the fact that they give all 4 disc brakes.
They ought however to have given us atleast 6 airbags!

Just idly wondering, isn't this the right time, with all this focus on the crossovers, that Ford seriously considers bringing in a higher end, highly specced version of its Fusion?
That was one heck of a car but sadly, very under valued because it was too early for its time!
Old 2nd August 2015, 21:32   #440
BHPian

I visited Pasco Nexa opposite Bristol Hotel on MG road. It was still under works but the car was sent to Palam Vihar for display purpose.

Still, the staff was quite eager. A complete contrast to visit to Harpreet Ford in Info City where they were lackadaisical despite having an excellent product.

I have been told that 1.3 Alpha should be 11 L OTR (i.e. 10 L ex-showroom).

So, a 1.3 Zeta at 10 Lacs makes a compelling case for young-ish crowd like me.
Old 2nd August 2015, 21:32   #441
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
I have booked the Premium Silver S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha variant. Looks like I am the only one here who has booked the 1.3 L variant. [list]
[*]DRLs can be turned on using the control stalk.
[*]Alloys - The stock alloys does not suit the character of this car and will have to be changed. I will prefer an OEM accessory. Will the dealership buy back the stock alloys? I found an earlier post which said the dealership will NOT - but is that the standard practice? Can we bargain with the dealership on this??
Good to know finally the decision made by you. Booking can always be changed to the needed variant DDIS320/200 based on the announcement of pricing. This includes the color too. This was made clear by the RM.

Pricing of the DDIS200 Alpha is speculated to be a shade below 10 L ex -show room. (introductory)

DRL will be ON only with park lights ON and not otherwise.

Alloys will not be taken by Nexa dealership. There are alloys offered through Nexa as accessories, but buying the same outside will be cheaper.

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd August 2015 at 21:33.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2015, 22:06   #442
BHPian

VigKey, even I have booked a 1.3 Alpha version at Bimal Nexa last week. Waiting for the prices now, if it is not VFM I have to go with Honda City or Duster. Already informed RM that the engine (1.3 or 1.6) and color will be confirmed based on test drive in citi driving conditions.
Old 2nd August 2015, 22:08   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
By the way Ciaz ZDI+costs 10.7 Lakhs in Bangalore and Hyderabad. Never knew such a huge difference in the Ex-showroom prices across cities. The Southern states have substantially higher Ex-showroom prices and much higher road taxes as well
Exactly! In fact if the ex-showroom prices exceed 10L, the road tax in Bangalore almost breaches the 19% mark

For me, it looks like a showdown between the 1.3 Zeta and the Titanium TDi Ecosport.
Old 2nd August 2015, 22:44   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Good point Sandy! 1.3 MJD might look VFM compared to 1.6 MJD. However will it be VFM compared to 1.5 TDCi on the EcoSport or the 1.4 CRDi on the Creta. I am not so sure.
Yes friends, the DDiS 200 will definitely look superbly VFM in front of the DDiS 320 because variant to variant, the features are same or better in the DDiS 200. It will also get some duty benefits and better localization benefits.

However, I think S-Cross Alpha variant of DDiS 200 will appear VFM in front of Creta, Duster and to an extent Ecosport and i20 Active also. This holds true ONLY if the Bangalore ex-showroom price is < 10 lakhs. All prices below ex-showroom Bangalore.
  • Creta
    1.4L CRDi Base - 9.59 Lakhs
    1.4L CRDi S - 10.56 Lakhs

S-Cross Alpha offers MUCH MUCH more than these 2 variants but the engine is equally powerful and more torquey with lesser lag in Creta. Overall I feel S-Cross Alpha will be much more VFM than Creta for the same price.

• Duster
    85 PS RxE - 9.1 Lakhs
    85 PS RxL - 10.15 Lakhs

Again, S-Cross Alpha offers MUCH MUCH more than these 2 variants but the engine is more tractable in Duster with a better ride + handling package. Overall S-Cross Alpha will be much more VFM than Duster for the same price.

• i20 Active
    1.4L CRDi SX - 9.05 Lakhs

S-Cross Alpha offers a lot more features than this variant but i20 Active will be better to drive as it will weigh less and is shorter in length as well. From a VFM perspective - it will mostly be a match or S-Cross might edge ahead for the additional space it offers.

• Ecosport
    1.5 L Titanium - ~10 Lakhs (not able to find exact figure from Ford website)

S-Cross Alpha offers some more features than this variant but Ecosport's engine will be better more powerful and also has lesser lag. The space is at premium in the Ecosport but is plenty in the S-Cross. Stiffer ride and ultra-light steering also pulls down the Ecosport a notch bellow. But then, from a VFM perspective - it will mostly be a match or Ecosport might edge ahead just for the looks (much more macho and aspirational) and also has a better engine.
This is my perspective and why I chose to go ahead with the S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha. However, if we bring in hatchbacks like i20 / Jazz into picture and if one is not sucker for features - the S-Cross might stand to lose on the VFM equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Exactly! In fact if the ex-showroom prices exceed 10L, the road tax in Bangalore almost breaches the 19% mark

For me, it looks like a showdown between the 1.3 Zeta and the Titanium TDi Ecosport.
Oh Yes Pannags!! That is one main reason I want the ex-showroom price of DDiS 200 Alpha variant to stay below 10 L. The point it exceeds 10 L, the VFM quotient is out of picture mainly due to the HUGE tax to be paid to drive it on the road. My RM specifically pointed out this point as the reason why Maruti will give the top-end model for below 10 lakhs. Anyways, we cannot take their word on face value. Better to wait it out for a couple of days.

Last edited by Vigkey : 2nd August 2015 at 23:11.
Old 2nd August 2015, 23:20   #445
BHPian

@VigKey +1 for DDIS 200. Booked it on the day the booking commenced.

I am sceptical with the pricing by seeing the other two launches this year (JAZZ and CRETA) and I am getting nightmares that the price would exceed my budget and I might have to cancel my booking.

Keeping my fingers crossed and praying to GOD that it's not a CRETA case.

2 DAYS to Go !!
Arindam_Nayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 00:19   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

Had checked out S-Cross a couple of days back. The car overall felt good. As a lot of people mentioned, the car is B-I-G! The quality is fine except certain bits like the power window switches. It's spacious & similar to a Jazz.

The clutch is light (by diesel standard) & liked the gear shift quality.

The steering size is one unit less than I would like. The first gen Swift with a leather cover was perfect for me.

Comfortable driver seat for a 6'2".

Gear lever is not the same as Ciaz (which looked premium than S-Cross).

For some reason, I was grinning the whole time, may be thinking of the 1.6L, though the one on display was the 1.3L Alpha.

There is a definite feel good factor with the product. However, I am not too sure I am convinced at the price point it's aimed at.

Maruti has never under priced the diesel versions because its from Fiat. They always have passed the high price back to customers; so expect the same for 1.6L too. Maruti knows that people who want it, will pay for it - no discount required for that engine.

At a price of 14L, why wouldn't a customer look at a Scorpio or Safari rather than this? I agree the quality perspective; but I have a bigger vehicle & a status symbol at my possession with those. Or the same logic for Ciaz (DDIS 200) except for some features while the space & boot are advantages.

Creta & S-Cross is making Indian customers pay more than what those deserve I guess. Car shopping probably was never more confusing. I am afraid the prices are deviating away from affordable brackets with the success of such models. Imagine a 15L for something which essentially is high quality hatchback.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 3rd August 2015 at 00:31.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 00:36   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So guys, finally took the plunge
Congratulations premium silver is an excellent colour (I suspect it is the same one as on the Kizashi looks absolutely stunning if kept well, it is really reflective and shiny in the sunlight and has a deeper, richer shade with a somewhat liquid-y effect under cloudy skies. really a treat for the eyes)
Quote:
In spite of making the booking, I am still skeptical about a couple of things. Anyways, nothing will count if Maruti prices this one out of my budget.
DDiS 200 - will it be powerful enough to carry 4/5 people for my use in the City, 2 lane highways and Ghat sections with some luggage as well. Since Ertiga uses the same engine and has been fairly successful, I think this will not be a serious concern. Experts and Ertiga / Ciaz owners can share their thoughts.
The company worked wonders with the engine and gearing in the Ciaz. Infact as long as you work it, its quite easy to hoon about, and I felt there should not be a 1.6 offering for the car; until they stiffen up the dampers, liven up the steering, improve the brakes and lower the car by atleast 15mm.

However the added weight in the S-Cross teamed with its commendable dynamic abilities will make it more obviously lacking in the power department; don't get me wrong, it will do the job, but I would recommend you set some money aside for a remap after you've properly broken it in.
Quote:
Boot - the low boot height might be a pain to use. Even though the number of 350+ is decent, the usability is questionable.
Really? The 350 litre space isnt too bad but nothing great either for a car its size, however the flat and low loading lip as well as the layout actually scores it some usability points IMO
Quote:
Tires - Each and every review has pointed out the limitation of the stock tires. Experts will have to guide me to understand if a tire change is necessary.
Alloys - The stock alloys does not suit the character of this car and will have to be changed. I will prefer an OEM accessory. Will the dealership buy back the stock alloys? I found an earlier post which said the dealership will NOT - but is that the standard practice? Can we bargain with the dealership on this??
Shouldn't go without saying that you must change those tyres to better more premium rubber if you don't do any off-roading then just slap on some good primacys or yoko decibels. Tyre size seems okay and a 60 profile is always a boon on our country's roads.

Try as much as I might, I simply don't see the stock alloys looking decent ever. Perhaps this can be changed at a later stage along with a euro-style front grille as part of a cosmetic overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
The steel or alloy spare wheel will reduce the boot space. The international edition has run-flat tires, so there isn't a spare in the international one. Hence it has a 430 liter boot space.
There is no way a sensible car manufacturer like Suzuki, will force their customers to use run-flats anytime soon. The European version comes with a 430 liter boot because it uses a space saver as spare tyre.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 3rd August 2015 at 00:55.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 07:25   #448
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
At a price of 14L, why wouldn't a customer look at a Scorpio or Safari rather than this? I agree the quality perspective; but I have a bigger vehicle & a status symbol at my possession with those. Or the same logic for Ciaz (DDIS 200) except for some features while the space & boot are advantages.

Creta & S-Cross is making Indian customers pay more than what those deserve I guess. Car shopping probably was never more confusing. I am afraid the prices are deviating away from affordable brackets with the success of such models. Imagine a 15L for something which essentially is high quality hatchback.
The market is changing rapidly. Size no longer matters as much as it did 5 years ago. The age of the compact CUV/ SUV/ Raised Hatch/ Quasi SUV is upon us and this phenomenon is here to stay for some time.

With increasing urbanisation, crowded roads, smaller families and greater independence, the consumer here in India is also evolving away from the older "road presence" thought process.

The consumer is also more prosperous and is willing to pay for higher quality, more features, more safety kit etc - at least the more evolved consumer is.

The consumer also seeks something out of the ordinary and is lured by the "lifestyle image" and "form" and to some extent the "functionalities" of these CUV's. For sure these are better than conventional cars for the Indian road conditions where even city roads are potholed and broken.

The advent of "self drive" car companies also give consumers the option of buying what they like for daily use and when required, they go and rent out those large people movers to transport extended families etc in greater comfort.

No wonder consumers are migrating en masse to these types of vehicles for their personal usage.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 09:47   #449
BHPian

Friends,

My best buddy came over this week and we spent several hours discussing the S-Cross. The end result? Booked the car! 1.6 Alpha in blue colour with Pratham Motors, Museum Road, Bangalore.

Wifey also came along and she was impressed. Gave the go ahead to book it.

I had been to BIMAL NEXA on Outer Ring Road (ORR, Nexto EMC) last week and the experience at Pratham was very different from what I had with Pratham. At Pratham, they have:

Larger Showroom
  • Ample Parking Space in Basement.
  • Well dressed & courteous staff. Didn't rush me into anything.
  • Showroom has LED TV's and RMs have iPads. Explained all the features using the TVs and with the car.
  • 3 Shades were available, all in Alpha 1.3 engine. Brown, Blue and Grey.
  • RMs were very well versed with the car and it's features. Explained every feature I asked for without hesitations.

RM said the OTR cost of the car in Bangalore will definitely be 14L or less. So booked it by paying 11,000, fully refundable. No test drives offered.

*** My Opinions ***
  • Grey Shade and Brown was not to my liking. Blue looks fantastic and it really makes the headlamps and Black Cladding stand out.
  • Back seat head rest is a pain to use as pointed out by our review. Great marks there, S2!!.
  • Boot space isn't enough for my family (we travel a lot and don't pack light). Going to 353 from 510 is not something I am liking much.
  • Rear Seat comfort is very good.
  • The music system is very good. The bass was good enough and almost as good as the ones in the Honda City (3rd Gen model).
  • Touch screen is very responsive.
  • Instrument cluster looks very nice and is easy to use.
  • Gear shift appeared smooth, though was not able to test drive.
  • Very easy to find a comfortable driving spot and perfect Steering angle due to rake and reach adjustment.
  • I must say that as S2!! pointed out in the review, the view from the drivers seat will take a bit of geting used to. It's farther than what we think it is due to the bulges on side. Only test drives will reveal how easy it is for me.
  • The steering wheel is smaller than my city, but feels great to hold.

What else to say, almost all of it has been covered in our review.

I & my friend walked into the Hyundai showroom. After looking at the creta, we were disappointed. The rear seat especially is low and the tall window line made it feel claustrophobic. I liked the interiors in S-Cross better than the Hyundai. Not being partial to S-Cross and no doubt that Creta interiors feel premium too. I just liked the S-Cross a bit more, primarily due to
  • Rear seat comfort not as good as City which I have currently.
  • Interior fit and finish - S-Cross looks more clean than the Creta. Soft touch plastic in front in S-Cross, but Creta overall has a very good dash.
  • 4 disc brakes and 2 airbags.
  • 1.6 liter fuel efficient fiat diesel engine, good enough for the ghats sections on the routes I travel.
  • Having owned a Hyundai before, I know the service costs will be very high after 4 years, although their service and support are at par or better than Maruti several times.

With a 14L budget, the only option in Creta was 1.6 SX+, but it will be a step back for me in terms of the following
  • Rear seat comfort & Visibility - Worse than Honda City.
  • Mileage. I get 19 on highways and Creta Petrol only gives 15 Avg. (But I understand why it is lower).
  • The hand rest is placed way too back for my driving position. It's useless for me.
  • Advaith charges almost 15K extra for handling, 0 dep insurance, basic accessories. I think that is very unfair. They were not keen on selling the car to me. It looks like they have enough bookings. So we were out in under 10 minutes where as we spent a whole hour in Pratham NEXA.

Last edited by sudeepg : 3rd August 2015 at 09:52. Reason: Corrected spelling mistakes
sudeepg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 10:02   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Oh Yes Pannags!! That is one main reason I want the ex-showroom price of DDiS 200 Alpha variant to stay below 10 L. The point it exceeds 10 L, the VFM quotient is out of picture mainly due to the HUGE tax to be paid to drive it on the road. My RM specifically pointed out this point as the reason why Maruti will give the top-end model for below 10 lakhs. Anyways, we cannot take their word on face value. Better to wait it out for a couple of days.
Hey Vigkey, BTW, I'm sure you've though about the nightmarish prospect of Alpha DDiS200 being slotted at 9.99 lakhs, ex-SR, Delhi! (which essentially means it crosses the 10L mark in Bangalore. So much for the terrific infrastructure Bangalore offers). That's the only reason I'm looking at the Zeta DDiS200 as a serious contender.

My plan-C, the Rapid DSG, is now looking very enticing with insurance, warranty, skoda assure and an almost 0% interest thrown-in as part of their ongoing offer.
I executed a typical mind-over-the-heart-decision 9 years ago, when I chose the Esteem over the Swift. The question is, will MS make me do it again?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks