Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2015, 09:27   #871
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Variant-wise feature list added to the opening page. Thanks to S2!!! for compiling:

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-scross-features.png
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 09:57   #872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Isn't Maruti Suzuki playing some some sort of dirty tricks with the pricing?

First of all, the prices are not readily available in their website.
Secondly, if the ex-showroom about the Bangalore Zeta is indeed 10L, which is same as Delhi, how can they have different variants priced differently in different states? Imagine this - difference between Delta and Zeta is 80K in Delhi and only 45K in Bangalore.Difference between Zeta and Alpha is 80K in Delhi and well over 1.1L in Bangalore. How's this possible? Is it even legal? What about some transparency, Maruti?

PS - All the above are for DDIS200. DDIS320 is pretty much history anyways.
As far as I know there is nothing illegal with Suzuki pricing the car differently in different states. Even products worth 20 rupees have differential pricing. The government does not have a say in how a company prices it's product, it is more interested in getting the corresponding taxes.
thiyags22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 10:02   #873
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiyags22 View Post
As far as I know there is nothing illegal with Suzuki pricing the car differently in different states.
Though we are cross with Maruti Suzuki on its DDiS320 pricing , it is commendable for them to consider the plight of Bangaloreans considering the high tax that prevails here and pricing the Zeta DDiS200 a shade below the 10 L mark, making it VFM to prospective buyers.

Now atleast there will be more footfalls in Nexa here atleast for test driving the vehicles.

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th August 2015 at 10:03.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 10:11   #874
BHPian

I suppose the 200 and Toyota corolla altis d4d share some curious figures - gross weight of 1670kg .
Power 88 bhp (Scross ) 87 bhp (altis )
Torque 200Nm (Scross ) 205Nm (altis ).

Source - car dekho

Makes me want to take a test drive of the altis and compare with my Vento.
Old 7th August 2015, 10:12   #875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Though we are cross with Maruti Suzuki on its DDiS320 pricing , it is commendable for them to consider the plight of Bangaloreans considering the high tax that prevails here and pricing the Zeta DDiS200 a shade below the 10 L mark, making it VFM to prospective buyers.

Now atleast there will be more footfalls in Nexa here atleast for test driving the vehicles.
Yes, I completely agree with you. The only reason I have not cancelled my booking (originally wanted to go for the 320) is because the DDiS200 Zeta suddenly looks like a good buy. The car would cost 1L more than the top end diesel Jazz that i had booked earlier, and that is perfectly fine.

I wish the car is not sluggish, will get to know with a TD.
Old 7th August 2015, 10:16   #876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It looks like someone has realised the Karnataka road tax slabs at Nexa. The ex-showroom tag of 9.99L ex-showroom Delhi has been somehow carried over to Bangalore and this really makes a huge impact to the on road price of the Zeta DDiS200.

Thanks to the ex-showroom remaining same from Delhi, the on road price of the Zeta DDiS200 in Bangalore is 11.99L. This is really really good VFM.

Credit where it's due. The Zeta DDiS200 is a very very good option for those looking for the DDiS200 in the first place. Thanks to the sub 10L exshowroom tag, the on road price is 2lakhs lesser than the Alpha.

If you are looking at the lower Titanium spec of the Ecosport at 12.6L vs the Zeta DDiS 200, the S-cross comes as a better option for sure.
Wow! Looks like someone just read my mind

On a serious note, I'm quite pleasantly surprised that MS has thought about tweaking the ex-factory price for the almost-loaded 1.3 variant. The Alpha production volumes must have been reworked though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Till I saw the screenshots a little while ago, I never believed the Zeta variant will be priced 9.99 L ex-Bangalore. But wouldn't that be considered illegal? How can a vehicle coming out of the same factory have the same ex-showroom price in different states with different tax rates? Effectively, that would mean either the ex-factory prices are given inaccurately or Maruti is absorbing some amount of the ex-showroom price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Isn't Maruti Suzuki playing some some sort of dirty tricks with the pricing? Is it even legal? What about some transparency, Maruti?
Quote:
As far as I know there is nothing illegal with Suzuki pricing the car differently in different states. Even products worth 20 rupees have differential pricing. The government does not have a say in how a company prices it's product, it is more interested in getting the corresponding taxes.
I was also in utter disbelief that a manufacturer has tweaked the base price, state-wise, to account for excise duties. I don't see this as illegal. Just like with the FMCG sector, producers are free to adopt regional pricing to account/adjust for local taxes.

I must say, this is very very thoughtful of MS.

Quote:
When it comes to Creta 1.4 CRDi vs S-Cross DDiS 200 - it definitely has to be S-Cross. It offers MUCH more for a lesser price. Only the engine is less torquey. In all other aspects S-Cross wins hands down.
I really hope so. Will be TDing the 200 tomorrow and thereafter head to the Ford stables.

EDIT:

Quote:
However, I feel a lot of premiumness will be robbed off the S-Cross in the Zeta variant. The plain headlamps, fabric seats, no padding in central armrest and the door armrest are still downers. Any clue on how much the HID projector setup might cost, if I choose to get it from Maruti? That is something I loved in the Alpha variant.
Just to give you an idea, the HID setup for the Skoda Rapid costs ~ 20k and is offered at the dealer level. This, along with leather seats will tick all "feature" boxes for me.

Last edited by pannags : 7th August 2015 at 10:23. Reason: Multiquote added
Old 7th August 2015, 10:57   #877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_g_m View Post
Where do we get such timings compared? Team bhp reviews should have such a column. Will make it a already comprehensive review to a whole new level.

Try the new car buyers guide in Autocar. They have pretty comprehensive guide towards the end of the magazine.
Old 7th August 2015, 11:45   #878
Senior - BHPian

I don't see anything wrong in this pricing barring the top trim of 1.6 which hitting the ceiling.

1. MSIL has witnessed unprecedented success in sub-10 lac segment, there have been failures but it is undisputed leader in the Indian market. We all agree that the overall built quality of S-Cross is couple of notches above the operating benchmarks of MSIL. It is necessary for them to keep on testing the waters on the market maturity. Pricing is one principal way of doing it.

2. If I have to go by the principle of "fiscal deficit" and apply it at MSIL (instead of countries or governments, as we see generally), we find that for most of the auto sector players (barring three Germans and JLR), the fiscal deficit is negative as well as leaking. i.e. the money spent by these companies on future technologies is not returning intended returns to them. MSIL is playing safe by introducing premium technology / cars on the shoulders of others (technology lease from FIAT and price lease from end buyer) thereby ensuring to making investments in technology only if it is successful. The homegrown diesel of MSIL is a straight example for this. It is possible that we might get a MSIL diesel (in-house) in 75 hp segment once the contract with FIAT is over and then MSIL might use the same facility to produce 1.6 l engines under license from FIAT and make it more competitive in terms of pricing.

3. JAZZ was a dud in its previous avatar but Honda got it back on the Indian soil with some corrections here and there, yet it is not pitted next to Amaze. MSIL would not undercut Ciaz with S-Cross; a mass market product has to play in different segment vis-à-vis S-Cross which is premium inside out. MSIL know that safety feature are gaining importance among buyers and thus ABS, all disks are part of standard equipment in S-cross. To me it seems that MSIL has decoded the DNA correctly and they will succeed, some festive discounts and few limited editions once a while will keep the sales within expected band. We should expect something similar with YRA too.

MSIL has "arrived" in the mass market and they now want to crack the premium segment and I am sure they would add more bling to the product (if need be) but will stick to the premium pricing.
Old 7th August 2015, 11:54   #879
BANNED

Source: http://www.financialexpress.com/arti...-month/115214/

“We have set an internal target of selling 4,000 to 5,000 units of S-Cross a month, and capacity can be ramped up or down depending on demand,” Executive Director and Head of Marketing and Sales, T Hashimoto said...

What an optimistic statement!
Old 7th August 2015, 12:02   #880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post

“We have set an internal target of selling 4,000 to 5,000 units of S-Cross a month, and capacity can be ramped up or down depending on demand,” Executive Director and Head of Marketing and Sales, T Hashimoto said...

What an optimistic statement!
Sure, pigs can fly. If I were in market, I would buy Swift D and save lot of moolah. At the end of the day both are hatchback with same engine and Swift looks infinitely more attractive. Or, a Jazz or an elite i20, again both stunning looking cars.
Old 7th August 2015, 12:10   #881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
I am perfectly okay with my Dzire's power and turbo lag. But if it feels more sluggish, then I would give the DDIS 200 a miss and stick on with the Creta. But somehow, I cannot come into terms with the Hyundai steering. May be more time behind the wheel would help.
Hey sandygordon, we are on the same boat Had I concinved myself to adjust with Hyundai steering, I would already have booked the Elite i20 / i20 Active. The steering and to an extent soft and bouncy suspension was the reasons I also chose not to go with i20. Even now, my head is pushing for the VFM it offers in comparison to Jazz and heart is tugging between Jazz and S-Cross Im really stupid.

Coming to the power of DDiS 200, it should be OK theoretically. From what the members who have experienced the Ertiga have to say, S-Cross should not be bad. It should match or may be slightly below par the 1.4 CRDi. In fact it should be on par with the 1.5 i-DTEC also. And for those opf us who feel it is under-powered, there are a lot of options to remap the engine. Any day, we cannot expect it to match the 1.6 CDRi or DDiS 320 even after remap, but it there will be a definite improvement.

Quote:
I am not sure thiyags if a FMCG product with multiple manufacturing plants catering to different parts of the country can be equated to an automobile coming out of a single factory. IMO,
  • There might be legal issues, if Maruti has gone ahead with different ex-factory prices for different states to arrive at the same ex-showroom prices. This will mean real trouble for MSIL.
  • There might not be legal issues, if Maruti has gone ahead to pay the difference between (ex-factory+taxes+duties) - 9.99 L from their own pocket to facilitate better sales of the product. You never know, even in this case the RT might complain that they are getting a lot less road taxes because Maruti has chosen to absorb some cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Wow! Looks like someone just read my mind

On a serious note, I'm quite pleasantly surprised that MS has thought about tweaking the ex-factory price for the almost-loaded 1.3 variant. The Alpha production volumes must have been reworked though.
Count me in!! Company read our minds Now the S-Cross DDiS 200 is VFM compared to the Ecosport Titanium, Ciaz, City, Duster, Creta and everything else around. It is even VFM compared to lesser priced cars like i20, Jazz, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
Just to give you an idea, the HID setup for the Skoda Rapid costs ~ 20k and is offered at the dealer level. This, along with leather seats will tick all "feature" boxes for me.
If HID + DRLs cost ~25-30k, there is no harm putting the money on it and getting it as an accessory IMO. It tremendously improves the looks and also the usability. Also thinking of a new set of Alloys, tires and also leather pack. Have to think about the overall VFM of the accessories and will have to decide accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
If I were in market, I would buy Swift D and save lot of moolah. At the end of the day both are hatchback with same engine and Swift looks infinitely more attractive. Or, a Jazz or an elite i20, again both stunning looking cars.
Agreed pgsagar sir. Swift D is much less in price and practically has the same engine. But, the fact is the same engine gets a bigger turbo increasing the power and torque. Also, Maruti has tuned the engine better than Fiat has done in Avventura (which is as heavy as S-Cross) and uses the same engine + VGT combo. S-Cross is a hatchback but is MUCH bigger compared to the Swift with cramped rear and non-existent boot. S-Cross gets a host of useful features like Cruise Control, all wheel discs, telescopic steering, much detailed MID, Touch screen AVN unit. In addition it is better built and the interiors quality is also better than Swift. Swift is 2 segments below S-Cross any day. My personal opinion!!

Last edited by Vigkey : 7th August 2015 at 12:19.
Old 7th August 2015, 12:11   #882
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
If I were in market, I would buy Swift D and save lot of moolah. At the end of the day both are hatchback with same engine and Swift looks infinitely more attractive. Or, a Jazz or an elite i20, again both stunning looking cars.
But though not a looker, SCross 1.3 is a better car in terms of space, quality and features. SCross 1.6 is a different case, destined for failure.

On the engine size front, Micra and Duster shares the same K9K engine, albeit in different states of tune. Hope Scross 1.3 90BHP drives even better than Swift 1.3 75BHP on highways.

Quote:
Company read our minds
Too late. They should have avoided all the embarrassment they faced by pricing the 1.6 at a minimum 1L higher than expected.

My question: Is DDiS200 Zeta is priced at 9.99L all over India?

Last edited by romeomidhun : 7th August 2015 at 12:17.
Old 7th August 2015, 12:32   #883
BHPian

Quote:
My question: Is DDiS200 Zeta is priced at 9.99L all over India?
The NEXA site does not indicate the prices for all states and territories as yet.

Here's something interesting I noticed, and this could be because of differing tax implications:

Faridabad: DDiS 200 Zeta - 1000997
Gurgaon - DDiS 200 Zeta - 999000

Image Source: MotorBeam

This does not work like personal income tax, where the taxation is in slabs. For e.g. in Karnataka, a car priced 9.99 lakhs ex-showroom would attract 15.54%, and at 10.01 lakhs, it would shoot up to 18.87% - on the entire amount
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-roadtax2015.jpg  

Last edited by pannags : 7th August 2015 at 12:41. Reason: Added a short explanation & removed typo
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 12:32   #884
BHPian

Prices in Kerala as per Nexa website:

DDiS200 Alpha - 1124088
DDiS200 Delta - 961244
DDiS200 Sigma -878804
DDiS200 Zeta - 999076
DDiS320 Alpha - 1428307
DDiS320 Delta - 1250196
DDiS320 Zeta -1351973

DDiS200 Zeta is priced INR 9.99L in most states i guess.

Last edited by jvk84 : 7th August 2015 at 12:34.
jvk84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 12:38   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Maruti Suzuki is looking to sell 4000-5000 (S Cross)units /month - have no plans of introducing the petrol or AT variant .

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...month/48384758
I'm done asking MSIL what they are smoking.

Seriously, guys come on why would add a package of 8k to the already inflated price of the S cross. Even if it is optional why would you show it before calculating the on road price separately. Most of the cutomers would just read the right most column and run away from the showroom on turbo mode.

As far as no. Of units are concerned i believe they would achieve about 2-3k units per month anything more than that would be very surprising. The major competitor to the S cross is the Ciaz itself and those looking for better build quality, fit, finish and features would rather go for the S cross by paying a small premium. However, it would be interesting to see how the common janta compares a crossover that looks like overgrown hatch to a sedan that is longer than the city and feels quick in comparison.

If they had at least plonked the 1.6 petrol with a tune for efficiency they could have got better numbers. At least people going for the creta 1.6 petrol had something else to look at. Plus that would have also lowered the starting price of the S cross. I don't know why they didn't introduce the AT here. Worldwide the S cross sells with a 6 speed CVT mated to the 1.6 maybe they sited issues with the fuel efficiency. When it comes to bigger engines its always HONDA that has been able to get the best of both world. Giving best performance without compromising on efficiency.

Quote:
It is the 90bhp vgt version having 200nm torque in scross 200, compared to the 75bhp fgt having 160nm torque in dzire. Good enough for your purpose, I'll say.

Another thing. Buy the car which you love by your heart. It is like marrying a girl whom you love.

One question. Is the ddis 200 zeta priced at 9.99L all over the country?
I have asked my RM to send me the price list he was pretty enthusiastic and said he would send it immediately. 20 minutes have passed no sign of any email or whatsapp.

Doesn't the Dzire and swift come with 190 nm of torque? I believe the vgt adds only 10 nm in torque and 15 bhp in power.

Last edited by rockporiom : 7th August 2015 at 12:42.
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks