Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2022, 17:41   #9391
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Been long not added to this post. Glad that things are running fine with the car. Last week sat in a cousin's Baleno and noticed the cabin is quieter than normal. On asking he said, that he has done sound deadening with sheets on all doors and boot lid. I got curious and enquired around and got a contact, which I already had but didn't know that they do sound deadening.

Approached this store called Tufkote Dinitrol in Goregaon Mumbai. The owner, Ryan, met me and explained how sound deadening works and what's the logic. Scross 1.3 always had poor NVH at highway speeds and road noise was also intrusive in the cabin.

Sheet used for sound deadening.Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20220217_141724.jpg

These sheets are self adhesive and are pasted in the doors after removing the door panels. Boot lid too is done. Application photos I don't have unfortunately. But the sheet is cut into smaller sizes and stuck to the door panel.

I was also suggested to do wheel well coating with water based compound, which will take care of road noise creeping inside. Cowl area was also opened and painted with this liquid.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img20220222wa0013.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img20220222wa0014.jpg

My review after driving the car for 100kms after this activity:
1. Damping has shown great result in keeping engine noise out. It's minimal. I can rev till higher rpm without the strain noise reaching me. I used to avoid this earlier because it wasn't enjoyable earlier. Below 2k rpm, I can hear faint engine noise, which was not the case earlier. This is achieved by coating the cowl area.
2. Doors have a very noticeable 'Thud' because of the sheets. I love this.
3. Road noise has reduced on gravelly roads. Went till 100 on highway with minimal noise. It's not like you are completely cocooned.

This is not similar to sound proofing. Those sheets are different and are applied on the complete inner side of the door. Damping sheets are applied in smaller pieces on areas where the vibrations are higher.

Since these panels were opened, I went ahead and did antirust coating at drain spots. This was not done because car has any corrosion. Its precautionary only.
DieselAnna is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 14:56   #9392
BHPian

Maruti S Cross Zeta | 1 year ownership Review -

Prologue (Decision Making)
So the search started in December 2020 (bang in the middle of peak Covid) and was triggered by my upcoming marriage and an ageing Jazz in the stable.
The requirement were -
  1. A reliable, fuss free vehicle which can start in a single crank after being left under covers for 6 months, twice a year
  2. Crossover / Mini SUV over sedans for those cross country trips to the Himalayas
  3. Petrol Manual (my mother, who would also be a frequent driver, prefers manual)
  4. Budget - About 10 lakhs which can be stretched to a maximum of 12
  5. Decent interiors (should feel similar or better to the outgoing Jazz)
  6. Waiting period should be less than a month
Other Vehicles Considered (TATAs and VAGs not considered owing to requirement number 1) -
  • Kia Seltos / Hyundai Creta (1.5NA) - Lovely to look at, fantastic interiors. But obnoxious waiting times resulted in me not even TDing them.
  • Ford Ecosport - Amazing to drive with good interiors. But felt slightly tight for 3 abreast in the back seat. This was a year back with no indication about Ford leaving
  • Maruti Suzuki Brezza - For some reason, the looks really did not feel great and again, waiting times were immense
  • Honda WRV- Did not feel an upgrade over the Jazz in any way
The final toss up was between the S Cross and the Ciaz. But then the argument was if the Ciaz, then why not the Honda City. So we finalized on the S Cross Zeta 1.5NA (mild hybrid)
  • Onroad price - 11.17Lakhs (in Mohali, Punjab)
  • February 2021 discount-INR 50,000
  • Onroad price after discount and exchange -8.95Lakhs with 5-year warranty
  • Current Odometer reading: ~12,000 Kms (70% highway)
A Special Shoutout to the SA at CM auto sales in Mohali. Was accommodating of all the requests made and was pro active in informing about the status of the car during the delivery phase. It took about 2 weeks from date of booking to getting the keys to Casper
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-ob7ppra_1422615.jpg
Experience so far-
A solid Maruti vehicle with their legendary ASS and reliability. The hybrid system works a treat and the car does not feel strained under heavy acceleration. All free services (3) have been completed without any fuss or complaints at the Mohali service center itself.
Likes -
  1. Looks - Imposing front stance. The car looks bigger from the outside
  2. Quiet cabin - Noise from the road and engine is minimal
  3. Engine - While it will not set the charts on fire, aided by the battery, the pick up is quite good., But not for enthusiasts. Super silent BTW
  4. FE - Averaging about 16kmpl based on the on board computer
  5. Highway Dynamics - While the steering is no Honda, it is precise and weighs up well once speed picks up
  6. Interiors and space - The interiors feel well put together and the vehicle can seat 5 people in comfort. Boot space is also good enough for airport runs
  7. Air conditioning - This is a special mention. The AC (there are no rear vents) was able to quickly cool the car even in Punjab's June heat
Dislikes -
  1. The car is wanting a 6th gear since the motor spins at about 3000 rpm at 100kmph. Seems high for continuous cruising
  2. Ride isn't that planted on low speeds. High speed ride is excellent though
  3. Missing features such as 6 airbags, sunroof etc.
  4. The engine has a weak mid range and requires frequent gear changes
Silly Incident -
I had gone to rural Punjab to visit someone. That was the day a bull decided to play headbutt with my car . The left rear light was attacked which left a small dent and some chipped paint . Fortunately no glass was broken and the light overall remains intact.
ShreyG is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 11:57   #9393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive0107 View Post
I just completed my 80K service and got the biggest service bill yet...total of 38,600. Looks like there was a need to recalibrate the fuel injector nozzles and replace one of them. The labor and parts cost came up to 18k for that. Also AC servicing done came up to round 3.3k.
Whoa.. ₹38k for servicing a Maruti.. Doesn't sound right.. My Honda servicing at authorised service center exceeded ₹20k only once after 12 yrs due to replacement of many vital components.. But ₹ 38k definitely feels exaggerated..
souvikjana83 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 00:15   #9394

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinitdas View Post
Similar issues with my 1.6 gear knob.
How did you replace it?
Unable to figure out how to take it off with the reverse gear mechanism in the 1.6.
Do you have a video or instructions that I can follow? Of course, taking it to Service Center is one way. But I want to try DIY.
I recently ordered gear knob from Boodmo for my scross 1.6. I searched ciaz 1.5 diesel gearknob and got one for 520 rs. But strangely i got the shift pattern of scross 1.6 only and not the pattern of ciaz 1.5 diesel. Dont know if I'm missing something. Attached is the gear knob and part number
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-20220201_025430.jpg  

Rahulbarik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 20:13   #9395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijit 2284 View Post
MAybe you could drive the Kicks and evaluate for yourself.
I think Nissan kicks did horrible in the slalom test. It failed worst than almost all cars tested. Even lower than swift, i10 and Ignis.
Old 2nd March 2022, 21:26   #9396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulbarik View Post
I recently ordered gear knob from Boodmo for my scross 1.6. I searched ciaz 1.5 diesel gearknob and got one for 520 rs. But strangely i got the shift pattern of scross 1.6 only and not the pattern of ciaz 1.5 diesel. Dont know if I'm missing something. Attached is the gear knob and part number
You shouldn't have had this pattern for the part number you ordered. But since you have got it, just go ahead and fit it. It's a simple operation of screwing the knob on the gear lever once you have removed the older one. Nothing else to do.
Old 4th March 2022, 07:19   #9397
BHPian

What is the delivery time for S-Cross currently, Was told 8-Weeks during booking and after a month the SA is informing that the October bookings are yet to be delivered. The variant booked is Zeta AT.
Old 5th March 2022, 05:02   #9398

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharshan View Post
What is the delivery time for S-Cross currently, Was told 8-Weeks during booking and after a month the SA is informing that the October bookings are yet to be delivered. The variant booked is Zeta AT.
I had bought the Zeta AT late last year and had initially been indicated a 4-6 week waiting period, which was later changed to 6-8 weeks and the car ended up being delivered about 7 weeks after the date of booking. The reason some October bookings have not yet been delivered is probably because they refused to take delivery of a vehicle with a 2021 VIN number in late December and got pushed back to the end of the queue.
Old 11th April 2022, 18:25   #9399
BHPian

My 2018 March Zeta has done 1.05 lakh km till now. The stock tires (JK Elanzo) lasted for 48k kms when these were replaced with Michelin Primacy 4 ST.
The Michelins have also worn out now after running for 55k kms. I think it is pretty less for the price that I paid for them but the whole drive of the last 50k km was a pure highway drive, so maybe the wear is more (but the same also applied to JKs).

What should I replace them with? The two options I am considering are the same Michellin or Yokohama Bluearth. I installed Yokos in my Mercedes C class a couple of months ago and really like the driving feel with them on. On the other hand, I also like the way Michellins behave on highways. My primary drive split will be 60:40 with a tilt towards highway drive. If there is anything else that you recommend please go on.

Also, where should I purchase them from? If we get good discounts and genuine tires online I won't mind ordering them and then getting them fit from a shop.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by libranof1987 : 11th April 2022 at 18:26. Reason: Two smileys/post
Old 11th April 2022, 22:45   #9400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickygupta2 View Post
What should I replace them with?
If you value your comfort and the reduced noise from your P4ST and have a budget of spending ~ 10K apiece, you should swap them for another set of P4ST. The next best option is Continental UC6, which will save you ~ 2K apiece. Yokohama BlueEarth are relatively noisy (much less than stock JKs anyday).

Above prices were for the facelifted S-Cross which is a 215/60/R16.

Apart from the cost savings, the number of dealers who stock Michelins have massively reduced since the import ban. As a highway runner, the (lack of) availability is a factor to consider.
Old 12th April 2022, 08:41   #9401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvikjana83 View Post
Whoa.. ₹38k for servicing a Maruti.. Doesn't sound right.. My Honda servicing at authorised service center exceeded ₹20k only once after 12 yrs due to replacement of many vital components.. But ₹ 38k definitely feels exaggerated..
I paid 45K last week for 90K service. Swift DDis
timing chain and related parts replacement
clutch and related parts replacement
brake pad change
90K general service

in the bill I do see a note that engine mounts may need replacement in the 100k service which part alone is going to cost ~13k
Old 14th April 2022, 10:29   #9402
BHPian

Getting the following quotes

Michellin - Rs. 10000
Continental UC6 - Rs. 8700
Yokohama - Rs. 9000

Michellin will be available in a week. Does it make sense to order online? Also, how bad is it to deal with Continental and Yokohama as compared to Michellin?
Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
If you value your comfort and the reduced noise from your P4ST and have a budget of spending ~ 10K apiece, you should swap them for another set of P4ST. The next best option is Continental UC6, which will save you ~ 2K apiece. Yokohama BlueEarth are relatively noisy (much less than stock JKs anyday).

Above prices were for the facelifted S-Cross which is a 215/60/R16.

Apart from the cost savings, the number of dealers who stock Michelins have massively reduced since the import ban. As a highway runner, the (lack of) availability is a factor to consider.
Old 14th April 2022, 17:46   #9403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickygupta2 View Post
Michellin will be available in a week. Does it make sense to order online?
When I was in the market for a tire swap in May 2021. Michelin P4ST was 10500 and Continental UC6 was 8400. I took the latter. These were for the facelifted size of 215/60/R16. If Michelins 215s are 10000 today, I find it skeptical. I would advise against buying Michelin online as there are lot of old stocks as well. Please pick Michelins from a shop and check the manufacturing date before buying.

About brand comparison, here (Maruti S-Cross : Official Review)'s from the in-house S-Cross stress tester
Old 14th April 2022, 18:31   #9404
BHPian

You are correct. Michellin is for 10500 but the guy said he will give a discount. What should be the oldest manufacture date that I should be comfortable with? In Continental, the guy also tells about another pattern in UC6 and is quoting Rs. 9200 for that one. Don't know what the difference between the two was, even he didn't know.

I am confused between Michellin and Continental. Yoko is out of race.

Quote:
When I was in the market for a tire swap in May 2021. Michelin P4ST was 10500 and Continental UC6 was 8400. I took the latter. These were for the facelifted size of 215/60/R16. If Michelins 215s are 10000 today, I find it skeptical. I would advise against buying Michelin online as there are lot of old stocks as well. Please pick Michelins from a shop and check the manufacturing date before buying.

About brand comparison, here (Maruti S-Cross : Official Review)'s from the in-house S-Cross stress tester
Old 14th April 2022, 18:58   #9405
Distinguished - BHPian

I switched from Michelin P4ST to Continental UC6 on our S-Cross after two tyres were cut (after about 40K kms on them).
Prima facie there isn't much of a difference to justify the pricing gap - true story will be out once it starts raining, but I have high expectations from the UC6 given how they've performed so far given (1500kms) the car in question is a 1.6 with a Stage 1+ remap.

Quote:
Do note he is referring to the Conti MC5 & not the newer UC6.

Last edited by lamborghini : 14th April 2022 at 19:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks