Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2022, 12:26   #9436
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Hi All,
Need recommendations for good quality windscreen wipers for the SCross. I am not concerned about the aesthetics but want something that will last long.

Are there any sillicon-based wiper blades available in the market, or only rubber-based ones?
umohan98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 14:32   #9437

Hello all,
This will be my first post on this forum.

Background -
I am 27 years old. A Civil Engineer, residing and working in Mumbai.

So back in 2019 the i10 completed its 10 years mark. It had started showing its age with increased maintenance bills and frequent replacement of wear and tear parts. My itch of getting a new car was growing day by day and we (me and my dad) were on a lookout for the same. In the meanwhile daily running had increased due to change in job and the i10 was converted to CNG. Thus outstation trips were simply not possible in the i10.

Decision Making -
All the cars between 10 to 25 lac bracket were considered with no particular preference. Took a test ride of Harrier and Seltos but spending 20-25 big ones just didn't seem worth it.

The option of getting a preowned car was kept open, but both me and my dad were reluctant about it. Getting a clean example was a task. But nevertheless kept on scrolling on various online sites.

Failed VAG Plan -
A known dealer had 2 examples of Skoda Octavia 2016 one in petrol and the other in diesel. Both were automatic models. One afternoon I visited the dealer to have a better look at both the cars. Cars were parked in the basement parking lot. First look did not inspire much confidence in me. There were scratches all along the car, the front tyre was deflated, a thick layer of dust on the car and even the interior was not clean. Anyways, I made up my mind and took a test drive of the petrol automatic. The drive was smooth, gear shifts happened in a snap and no drama from the suspensions. Mechanically the car seemed in good condition for a 60k run car, but the amount of work needed to get the exteriors and interiors in liveable condition was too much for my liking. Plus the dealer quoted 12L no negotiations for the petrol variant and 11L for the similar run diesel. I did not pursue further as I had some other financial priorities, and getting a 5 year old, out of warranty, VAG car home is a BIG NO!
Moment of Realisation -
Months passed without any substantial progress. Then one fine day, I stumbled upon a thread on T-bhp - Pre Worshipped car of the week - S-cross

Suddenly, this underrated car started becoming my reading material day and night. Read the official T-bhp review published back in 2015, and various ownership threads. The one thing that set my heart on this car was Dr. Naren’s Stage 3 S-cross 1.6 Alpha. The thread provided so many insights into the car, that I started appreciating it much more than I ever did before.

First Contact -
Then began the tough job of finding a clean example of the 1.6, which to be honest is quite rare. Many dealers quoted 1.3 as 1.6 and it was very difficult to find the genuine one’s. But I was able to find a S-cross 1.6 Alpha 2015 model 40400 kms on the odo with the same dealer I went to before. Took a test drive, and this was the first time I was driving a diesel vehicle. The torque kick was just addictive and I had tasted it for the very first time. The engine was smooth for a diesel. Clutch was a little heavy for my liking. The suspension of the car was in good shape and it swallowed the bumps and pothole without any noise. There were hardly any deep scratches on the exterior of the car. Overall the car seemed to be well kept. My heart was made up then and there itself. But my mind still needed some convincing so I took a test drive of the new S-cross 1.5 petrol. To be honest I was not able to enjoy the car as much as I enjoyed the very few moments I had with the 1.6. So the decision was made.

D-Day
Finally got the car home on the first day of Diwali 2021.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-picsart_220627_131642410aa.jpg
First Picture after Pooja

Attaching some random pictures of my drives untill now. Been to Goa 2 times in a year. Short drives to Nashik, Lonavala, Pune, and many more.

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-1-nashik.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-1st-goa.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-1st-nashik.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-2nd-goa-2.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-2nd-goa.jpeg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-2nd-nashik.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-parking-lot.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-2nd-goa-edit.jpg

Positives -
1. Odo currently stands at 47xxx.
2. There have been zero issues with the car till now.
3. Highway driving is where the car shines.
4. No fatigue is felt even after driving the car for hours.
5. The engine is relaxed, but is ready to point and shoot.
6. Suspension is sorted at higher speeds, but the firmness can be felt at low speeds.
7. Automatic Head Light/Wipers
8. Touchscreen System with Android auto and Apple Carplay, Steering wheel controls.

Negatives/Things to work on -
1. There is some weird noise felt from the steering wheel while going through undulating road patches. Need to check on this.
2. Headlights don't do justice to the car. Have to get fog light projectors.
3. Rattles are observed on rough roads from the cabin.
4. Need to change the tyres from JK Elanzo to better one's.
5. Improvements to ICE.

Mods planned (Suggestions welcome)-
1. HID / LED Projector Fog Lights
2. Component Speaker in front doors + Sub + Amp carried forward from my old car.
3. Alloy Wheels (Lenso Jager Dyna maybe?)
4. Michelin P4ST / UC6 - (Stock size / upsize?)
5. Remap (to improve turbo lag)

Super happy with the decision of going the preowned route. Would like to thank this amazing forum for all the information it provided and helped me making this decision.
swaps100050 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 17:19   #9438

Re: 1.6 Gearknob issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranendra View Post
I too have a 2016 S-Cross 1.6 Alpha and the gear knob's acrylic / plastic sides have peeled off like an egg-shell. I have a BHPian Friend who is also the owner/GM of a major Maruti Dealer Service center in Kolkata who also happens to own a S-Cross 1.6. He was able to source the original gear knob after almost 2 weeks of wait but the cost is unjustified in our opinion. It costed me around Rs 5000 + taxes.

However, the feel of the worn gear lever was irritating for the speed king that the S-Cross 1.6 is.
I think you are talking about Mr. Manoj Thakur from Osl Auto who was using a 1.6. I'm also a staff of Osl Auto and use a 1.6 in Kolkata. Mr Thakur is my senior if you are referring to him. I sourced the gear knob from boodmo. Attached is the packaging and part number fir the same. Direct Fit. No mods required. Rs 520.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-20220201_025430.jpg  

Old 1st July 2022, 18:08   #9439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulbarik View Post
I recently ordered gear knob from Boodmo for my scross 1.6. I searched ciaz 1.5 diesel gearknob and got one for 520 rs. But strangely i got the shift pattern of scross 1.6 only and not the pattern of ciaz 1.5 diesel. Dont know if I'm missing something. Attached is the gear knob and part number
I ordered the same part number from boodmo, but i got the ciaz gear pattern knob.
Now trying to return it.
Old 2nd July 2022, 16:57   #9440
BHPian

Hearing rumors that S-cross is going to be Axed!

https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...-stay/92601863

The article thought does not specifically point out what he said, rather looks like a speculative statement added by them
Old 2nd July 2022, 21:03   #9441
BHPian

I sold my S-cross 1.3 Zeta last month (June '22) after 6 non-eventful years of ownership. The car had covered about 65K in these 6 years. During these years, I had covered all the Southern states and had managed to wander all the way upto Gujarat in the West also.

The reason for the sale was ‘space’, as my parents had moved close to us during COVID and we also got a second little one, a few years back. Hence, I was looking for a 3 row vehicle.

One of things that I missed the most during my ownership was 2nd row AC vents (according to my family, who were more often to be found in the 2nd row).

The following changes had been done to the vehicle in this time:
- Changed the foglights to LED DRLs.
- Used a roofbox with it (details in these posts: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4790786 (Maruti S-Cross : Official Review), https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4790849 (Maruti S-Cross : Official Review), https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4791944 (Maruti S-Cross : Official Review))
- Upgraded the tyres from the stock (absolutely horrible with lots of tyre noise) to MRF Perfinzas (stock size).

I sold the car to the Tata showroom, in an exchange programme, when buying the Safari.
Aiel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 07:13   #9442
BHPian

I just recently sold a 1.6 scross delta at around 70k kms in the odo. From my experience, the clutch should have become a bit light by now. I changed to a nissan kicks turbo, and the latter's clutch felt heavy for me.

As far as the audio system is concerned, i would suggest that you hold off on it. The car is prone to some electrical failures down the road (no jinxes, just experience), if you have a 3rd party sound system, god forbid.

LED fog lamps 100% requirement. For the main headlights, the philips xtreme should do. The problem about retro fitted HID lights is the fact that, the same filament in the headlight is used for low beam and high beam, making things a bit more expensive and honestly, weaker. LED/HID will hamper visibility during rains.

Alloy wheels, will improve the aesthetics

As far as the wheels are concerned, upsizing will do you good. It will make the ride a bit smooth, with just a 5% error in the speedo, unless you get to remap it too.

As far as the overall remap for improving turbo lag, i have not had personal experience, but from my researches, it seems that, the remap improves fuel efficiency. The turbo lag improves, yes, but it will still be prominent. It is like one nazar on the car, you have got to live with it.

Hope this helps. Its a very good purchase. Congrats
shresan23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 09:53   #9443

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit_dennis View Post
I ordered the same part number from boodmo, but i got the ciaz gear pattern knob.
Now trying to return it.
Don't return it. Just replace the pattern plate on top with your old one and you'll be good to go
Rahulbarik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 18:58   #9444

Quote:
Originally Posted by shresan23 View Post
I just recently sold a 1.6 scross delta at around 70k kms in the odo. From my experience...

As far as the audio system is concerned...

LED fog lamps 100% requirement...

Alloy wheels, will improve the aesthetics

As far as the wheels are concerned, upsizing will do you good...

The turbo lag improves, yes, but it will still be prominent. It is like one nazar on the car, you have got to live with it...

Hope this helps. Its a very good purchase. Congrats
Thanks for your inputs.

Currently, better rubber, LED Fog lights and a basic audio setup is on top priority. Looking for options and shortlisting the same.

Everything else is in pipeline and will do it over a span of few years to keep the freshness of the car intact
Old 2nd August 2022, 08:13   #9445

It's been around 6 years and my S-Cross 1.6 Delta just clocked 2.20 lakh kilometers. With all the regular services and parts replaced, and an engine overhaul at around 1.8 lakh kilometer, the car's running like clockwork. These days it runs 50 kilometers a day on highways and as you can imagine, for the majority of it's kilometers, it clocked them on highways.

This post is about the review of the 1.6 MultiJet CRDI diesel engine. Lets first start with how it performs. Get one thing straight, this engine is not for the one who plans to rev his car hard in every gear. This is not a rev-happy diesel engine for sure. It might go up till 5000 RPM but like a typical diesel engine, there is no point to stretch it all the way upto that point. There is turbo lag till around 1600 RPM and lots of it infact,despite of it using a VGT(Variable Geometry Turbo) like the DDIS 200 engines, but get past that and the turbo will kick in with a spike of urgency. However don't push the revs past 3800 RPM because there is not much power left past that point. Sadly, peak torque is dropped pretty quickly, but the engine still pushes strongly till 3800 RPM. Just keep the revs between 1600 - 3800 RPMs and the car will perform with ultimate amounts of punch. Those 320 NMs are best used in 4th and beyond gears. I even overtake cars on highway in 5th gear! in gears above 3rd, the torque band will feel pretty wide too.

USP of the 1.6 MultiJet engine is it's punchy meaty mid-range, ability to overtake cars in high gears and also reach triple digit speeds with ease. It's not the best in terms of flat-out acceleration, but diesel-turbos are not built to do that anyway.

TLDR: keep the engine between 1600-3800 RPM and the car will feel very punchy, although monstrous 320 NMs of torque will fall pretty quickly in lower gears.

When I drive it in the most sedate way possible, on the highways it can even give 30 KMPL while maintaining 60-65 KMPH without A.C.. In town, it gives between 14-16 KMPL with A.C..
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220726-2.27.49-pm.jpeg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220726-2.27.48-pm.jpeg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220726-2.27.47-pm-1.jpeg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220726-2.27.47-pm.jpeg  

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20220726-2.27.26-pm.jpeg  

ShubhankarS is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 10:32   #9446
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShubhankarS View Post
an engine overhaul at around 1.8 lakh kilometer,
Why was an overhaul needed at only 1.8 lakh KMs? How much did it cost you?
Eddy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 17:41   #9447
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaps100050 View Post
Thanks for your inputs.

Currently, better rubber, LED Fog lights and a basic audio setup is on top priority. Looking for options and shortlisting the same.
Congrats! The 1.6 looks really well maintained and quite sparingly driven as well!

If I were you, I would prioritize :

1. Better rubber (Conti UC6 is a good choice and P4ST is a little softer but not much of a difference otherwise, if you're changing the alloys then would suggest going a little wider to 215 / 225 but if not - then stick to OEM size)
2. LED projector upgrade on the headlight (because the white beam of the projectors have terrible visibility during rains and by upgrading the HL projectors you could complement the throw with the yellower white of the fogs - but do change the fog bulbs to something better)
3. a Wolf Stage 1+ remap (mainly for better in city driving as turbo lag is masked to a good degree and many times you wouldn't end up downshifting to 1st which is otherwise mandatory on a stock car).

I've done the above 3 (except alloys) on our 1.6 & it has really made living with the car in Mumbai that much easier : the better tyres offer better aquaplaning resistance for the rains & highway drives, the lights give the needed better visibility, and the remap just makes traffic much more manageable.

The speaker upgrade can happen after the above 3 and you can do it as per your pace and budget.

Attaching a couple pictures of the Upgraded Projectors & low beam throw:

Name:  20220413_111730.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  215.2 KB

Name:  20220403_210110.jpg
Views: 1471
Size:  112.6 KB
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 01:01   #9448

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Congrats! The 1.6 looks really well maintained and quite sparingly driven as well!

If I were you, I would prioritize :

1. Better rubber (Conti UC6..

2. LED projector upgrade

3. a Wolf Stage 1+ remap

The speaker upgrade can happen after the above 3 and you can do it as per your pace and budget.
Thanks for your valuable suggestions lamborghini. Your car looks beautiful and the headlight output is just phenomenal!

I did a bit of reading on the forum and currently here is what im planning to do -

1. I have shortlisted Lenso Jager Dyna / Nova. However I have not yet seen them physically. Will decide after looking at them in person. So, as I will be changing alloys as well, will also consider upsizing to 215. What all parameters should be checked regarding alloys apart from 16 inchers, 114.3 pcd, 50mm ET, 60.1mm centre bore? Will I need hub centring rings?

2. Im really apprehensive about opening the stock headlights for HL projector upgrade. So im going the fog light projector way. I have shortlisted IPH Bi-LED Tri colour model as it can be also useful in actual fog conditions.

3. As the Scross is not yet my daily driver and in current scenario it is 90% highway and 10% city usage, I have backtracked the wolfmoto remap & audio upgrade plans.

I see you are also based in Mumbai, so any leads / references regarding points 1 and 2 above will be much appreciated.

Thanks & Regards
swaps100050 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 13:25   #9449
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaps100050 View Post

1. What all parameters should be checked regarding alloys apart from 16 inchers, 114.3 pcd, 50mm ET, 60.1mm centre bore? Will I need hub centring rings?

2. Im really apprehensive about opening the stock headlights for HL projector upgrade. So im going the fog light projector way. I have shortlisted IPH Bi-LED Tri colour model as it can be also useful in actual fog conditions.

I see you are also based in Mumbai, so any leads / references regarding points 1 and 2 above will be much appreciated.

Thanks & Regards
Point 1:
I haven't upgraded my alloys so cannot comment on hub centering rings.
TBHP Directory will help finding a good tyre shop near you.
I personally prefer PAL tyres in Western Suburbs.
I would also suggest keeping in mind the width of the alloy, but given you're planning 215 - the stock alloys should be fine.
For 225's I would suggest a one size wider alloy.

Point 2: I was apprehensive as well, but wanted a clean and stock look without any gaps, uneven fittings, etc. hence went the HL upgrade way. I got my work done from Pratham - a fellow 1.6 owner, again after seeing the work he's done on other S-Cross and even Dr. Naren's Baleno (Maruti Baleno: Lights upgrade with IPH D2H HID headlight projectors and IPH LED fog projectors!) (number is there in the thread).
Old 6th August 2022, 13:47   #9450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShubhankarS View Post
With all the regular services and parts replaced, and an engine overhaul at around 1.8 lakh kilometer, the car's running like clockwork.
Engine overhaul at just 1.80 lakh kilometres with this kind of usage is a bit weird. With your car clocking 30-35000 kilometres per year was it serviced every 3-4 months?
What did the engine overhaul entail and what did it cost? If you don't mind sharing.
Stolidus500 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks