Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2015, 10:01   #331

Re: Ford Aspire : Official Review

This is blatantly terrible from Ford. I am sure it is not a typo alone. They might have been of the opinion that nobody will pay so much attention to detail & they might get away with it. Team-bhpians FTW here again. In such a scenario, why don't you ask for a free upgrade to Trend version as this is entirely Ford's fault? I am assuming Trend variant has anti-roll bars right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
They have said as much over phone and in the letter.

This is not a case of oversight but of cheating. Because even the dealers are in the dark about the matter. My dealer was shocked when they confirmed the matter.

They couldn't skimp on the air bags because it's one of the advertised, salient features - but a missing anti roll bar is easy to hide.

My conundrum now is - should I still go for it?
Old 29th October 2015, 10:37   #332
BHPian

Quote:

This is not a case of oversight but of cheating. Because even the dealers are in the dark about the matter. My dealer was shocked when they confirmed the matter.

They couldn't skimp on the air bags because it's one of the advertised, salient features - but a missing anti roll bar is easy to hide.
True, this is quite unethical from Ford and on top of it they are trying to downplay the incident by saying it's a typo. I still believe this reasoning (of it being typo) will not hold strong ground in the consumer forum. Experts in the field can answer this better.

Quote:
From what I understand, you loved the car and were super excited to bring her home. Why not try the Trend variant then, if budget permits?

On a lighter note, that would make justice to your handle too!
Old 29th October 2015, 10:52   #333
BHPian

Got my Aspire TDCI Titanium+ last month. Planning on writing an initial ownership review soon. The odometer reading is now 2900 km. I had been to my home town in Kerala from Goa (about 1600 km round-trip) during dussehra. Got a chance to drive through different terrains (4 lane highways, ghat section roads, heavy traffic conditions, broken roads) .
Some of my observations:
1. Decent handling in most of the situations (bumps, pot holes, straight line, ghats).
2. Minimal gear shift required, even with 4 adults+2 kids+heavy luggage in the boot, owing to torquey diesel motor. Covering the ghat section along Mookambika forest reserve was a breeze.
3. GC of 174 cm helped in running over potholes and unscientific bumpers even though I heard a couple of hits (in sections which were really bad).
4. Cabin noise is minimal. Comfortable for long drives.
5. Average fuel efficiency showed 18.5 kmpl in the MFI.

First service of the car was done recently.
sudhirnam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 10:56   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There was an inadvertent mistake in our website and we thank you for bringing this to our notice. We have taken this up with concerned department for correction.

- After choosing the perfect car for me, this is what I get. Now I might have to change my T-BHP handle from samaspire to sambaleno

But seriously - is there any regulator that we can complain to, and make Ford pay for this. Because every buyer of Ford Figo Base & Ambiente variants, and Ford Figo Aspire Ambiente variant (Petrol & Diesel) has been cheated.
They seem to be making several 'inadvertent' mistakes. There was one on the DCT warranty. The official press release at the launch said that the Aspire had a 10 year warranty on the DCT gear box. Was later 'clarified' that it was a mistake in the press release after a member here followed up on it.

Honest mistakes or...?
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 10:57   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Firstly, self-report your post that has Ford's response to the mods, so they can elect to add a note to the first page of the review (where it will get more eyeballs rather than a couple of pages in).

Coming to your question, its tricky:
1) The painless but costly way forward is to upgrade to the Trend variant at higher cost - you pay more, Ford laughs all the way to the bank with the extra money
2) The ethical way forward - cancel your order and write to Ford CC explaining why (social media and auto magazines). You lose out on a car, particularly one you've set your heart on (going by your contributions on the 2 threads). Ford might not bother at losing a customer (one out of thousands + there'll be some defections to the Baleno) which will be their apathetic response. Or if the social media approach gets attention, then they might actually sit up, in which case there's be very positive remedial action (e.g. a field service action (FSA) to retrofit it), which will be their ethical response.
3) The experimental/daring way forward - get the Ambiente, and retrofit the anti-roll bar at Ford ASS.

All said - this sucks. Its one thing knowing that a variant doesn't come without a feature (since that is something we'll eventually accept by the time we place an order), its another thing to have to unearth it via such means.

Last edited by arunphilip : 29th October 2015 at 10:58.
arunphilip is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 11:00   #336
BHPian

Now that we know manufacturers skimp on important features like Anti-roll bar on lower variants, how do we ensure lower variants of other cars/manufacturers have them? Is there a way of visual inspection near the suspension?
Old 29th October 2015, 11:10   #337
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Now that we know manufacturers skimp on important features like Anti-roll bar on lower variants, how do we ensure lower variants of other cars/manufacturers have them? Is there a way of visual inspection near the suspension?
Not related to Ford Figo but the Anti-roll bar is similar in all car's. Check the link below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2954252

You'll get an idea of what is missing in the lower variants visa vis the top variants.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 13:54   #338
BHPian

Quote:

Why don't you take a test drive of the base model and see what it feels like.
My guess is it will still be a hoot to drive and will outhandle any hyundai, which still sells by the tens of thousands. Don't put so much emphasis on one missing feature. A car is more than the sum of its parts.

Worst case, get it installed by the A.S.S. after your purchase.
d3mon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 14:16   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Why don't you take a test drive of the base model and see what it feels like.
That is what I'm planning to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Worst case, get it installed by the A.S.S. after your purchase.
I did inquire about this and they say it is not possible because the suspension setup in Ambiente is different from the other variants. Not sure about this though.

And who knows how much it might cost.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 16:24   #340
BHPian

Quote:
That is what I'm planning to do.
What I have seen is that most dealers keep only the top or next lower version for TD. But you should still insist and maybe your dealer has a base version TD car.

Here is recent review of Aspire from PowerDrift:

sudhirnam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 17:59   #341
BHPian

Very very bad from Ford about the missing the anti roll bar. Who knows what else they have managed to skip silently in the base variant, or even in the Trend variant. These days no company believes in ethics (VW scandal the latest). Since the advent of crash test reports these guys have started cost cutting in areas which are not easily visible to a customer while gloriously advertising 6 airbags, ABS bla bla bla.
heavenlybull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 20:41   #342
BHPian

I could not see any defogger grid lines in the rear windscreen glass. How exactly does rear defogger work in this car?

Also during the short TD, I felt that the left ORVM does not tilt downwards enough to give a good view of the wheel arches and the kerb without craning the neck during parallel parking.Can the existing owners can shed more light on this?

I could not see any defogger gridlines on the rear windscreen glass.How exactly does the rear defogger work in this car?

Also during the short TD,I found that left ORVM does not tilt downwards enough to give a good view of the rear wheel arches and kerb, without craning the neck, during parallel parking.Can anyone shed some more light on this?

[Due to some issue,the whole thing I typed vanised during submission from my mobile phone.So I could not understand whether the query has been submitted successfully or not,and thereby I am re-submitting again.Mods please excuse and delete if double posting occurs.Thanks]

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th October 2015 at 13:38. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 29th October 2015, 23:10   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonov007 View Post
I could not see any defogger grid lines in the rear windscreen glass. How exactly does rear defogger work in this car?
Defroster grid lines are very much present, just noticed it today while driving back home and I had turned on the defogger for a while, would try to get a clear pic to share.

When it comes to functioning of defogger it works better to be on heater with external air intake mode during highly humid conditions and heavy rains, else internal air circulation with AC on with defogger mode works fine for normal conditions
KreativeGeek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 07:30   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Firstly, self-report your post that has Ford's response to the mods.
Done.

Quote:
1) The painless but costly way forward is to upgrade to the Trend variant at higher cost - you pay more, Ford laughs all the way to the bank with the extra money
No way.

Quote:
2) The ethical way forward - cancel your order and write to Ford CC explaining why (social media and auto magazines). Or if the social media approach gets attention, then they might actually sit up, in which case there's be very positive remedial action (e.g. a field service action (FSA) to retrofit it), which will be their ethical response.
Whatever response I've got, it's only after posting on the fb page - so further effort might elicit some remedial action that would help out figo and aspire owners, but I end up without an aspire.

Quote:
3) The experimental/daring way forward - get the Ambiente, and retrofit the anti-roll bar at Ford ASS.
If I go this way then I would be paying extra for something that I should have got for free anyway.
But as I said before, ford / dealer says that it cannot be retrofitted because the design is different.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2015, 07:49   #345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonov007 View Post
Here's a picture from page 1 of this review that shows the defogger grid lines. Note that in the Figo hatchback the defogger is only present in the Titanium and Titanium+ variants, and not present in Trend and below. It is likely that a similar approach has been taken on the Aspire.

Quote:
Whatever response I've got, it's only after posting on the fb page - so further effort might elicit some remedial action that would help out figo and aspire owners, but I end up without an aspire.
Good you've posted there. How about posting on a few auto mags FB pages too, so they may hopefully run with it? I only hope that Ford pick up on the publicity aspect of this soon enough before you go ahead with cancelling your car. Also - ETIS and Ford's statements aside, have you physically checked an Ambiente for the absence of the anti-roll bar? I'm not fully convinced that Ford CC will have checked with someone technically qualified, and the ASC guys also shoot off their mouth with whatever sounds convenient.

Quote:
ford / dealer says that it cannot be retrofitted because the design is different.
This is the other peculiar part - are they saying that they've designed a second (and inferior) suspension without the mounts for an anti-roll bar for a brand new car? I'd have thought that the design and validation of this itself would have made the exercise a futile one. I don't see how this will be of any benefit now (I don't think they'd export cars with this suspension, and I don't think Ford will open up fleet/taxi sales for the Aspire this soon). If you see the pictures that a4anurag linked to, you'll see how the anti-roll bar is something bolted on. And that's why I was asking if you've had a chance to peek beneath the Aspire.

I totally agree with your points about not upgrading to Trend, and not paying for adding on the anti-roll bar. You chose the variant based on the information Ford gave you, and they misled you.
arunphilip is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks