Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2017, 18:54   #1396
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Aspire : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetti View Post
One way to be sure is if you take one more test drive on the non-sports version again and also check with a friendly SA at the service centre if you have a rapport with them?
If the suggestion to drive the Non-Sports version is to confirm if the secondary clutch switch is present, let me save Tharian some time. I drive the non-sports Figo Titanium and the exact same behavior of the RPM rising and dropping in crawling traffic is present in mine. So it seems like it is there in the non-sports variant as well but only advertised on the Sports variant as a feature? Also are we really sure it is the secondary clutch switch causing this spike in the RPM? I have never seen this kind of behavior on the Ford Fiesta Classic Titanium petrol that I owned earlier as well as cars from other brands did not have this. So not sure if it is the secondary clutch switch that is the culprit or something else.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 13th September 2017 at 18:56.
abhinav.s is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 19:31   #1397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
If the suggestion to drive the Non-Sports version is to confirm if the secondary clutch switch is present, let me save Tharian some time. I drive the non-sports Figo Titanium and the exact same behavior of the RPM rising and dropping in crawling traffic is present in mine. So it seems like it is there in the non-sports variant as well but only advertised on the Sports variant as a feature? Also are we really sure it is the secondary clutch switch causing this spike in the RPM? I have never seen this kind of behavior on the Ford Fiesta Classic Titanium petrol that I owned earlier as well as cars from other brands did not have this. So not sure if it is the secondary clutch switch that is the culprit or something else.
I think normally cars are equipped with just a primary clutch switch . The Sports version has a secondary as well.
One way to confirm is if you have experienced the rpm dropping after the surge causing the car to slow down, without any accelerator input. That happens in my car if I don't give some accelerator input at the right time. The secondary switch is supposed to give more rpms to make the gear shift smoother. I would have rather liked it if they had tuned it for a blip when downshifting like in the VW TSI engines.

Arvind has explained it in this post;
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...2-lakhs-7.html
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 09:00   #1398
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
My armrest is finally done.
While I commend you effort and ingenuity for doing this DIY stuff, arm rest came out really well but, the teak portion is standing out like a sore thumb and looking quite out of place

Perhaps a good leather wrap to it can help in blending with rest of the design

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetti View Post
I did distinctly experience it in the diesel Sports as well in my test drive. One way to be sure is if you take one more test drive on the non-sports version again and also check with a friendly SA at the service centre if you have a rapport with them?
Looks like you are seriously considering to purchase the Aspire? Hope you will take a decision before it's phased out....Kidding

I'm very keen to know from someone who owns a Non-Sports Aspire and has taken a long'ish test drive of the Sports Version of Aspire

Is there a major difference in ride and handling?

If Yes, then I would be tempted to trade in for the sports version
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 09:39   #1399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan T View Post
What is the cost? Think of it, you can have additional income from selling armrests. Armrest start up?

Maybe you can design one for my Polo too!
Material cost would be within a 1000 rupees, but the actual cost would be more considering the time and brains I put into it

Maybe I can start selling the armrest, but my potential customers would be limited to owners of
FIGO and ASPIRE for this design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Perhaps a good leather wrap to it can help in blending with rest of the design
Don't know about a leather wrap, but I agree that it is not going with the interiors. The polish was the carpenter's (he's more of an artist with wood) way of finishing his job - I didn't ask for it.

I was thinking of getting it duco painted to match the colour and texture of the central console but all that when the design is completed. That's why it's out again

This one is just the first version. Have a few more ideas that I'm considering - maybe add storage, a bit wider, etc.

Will create a thread when I'm done.
samaspire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 14:32   #1400
BHPian

Sorry for posting the below question in this review thread instead of the appropriate thread. I just want to ask this to a wider set of audience, that's why.

Can anyone please confirm if the MRF tyre replacement is done for petrol Aspire as well? I told the service centre regarding the noise but they rejected my claim. Then escalated with Ford India. Got a call from them. They are looking at my claim currently. But what I heard from Ford was that the MRF tyres are the culprit and are being replaced for Figo/Aspire but only for diesel models.

Is there a difference between petrol and diesel Aspire with respect to tyres? I agree that the kerb weight could be a little more in the diesel vehicle but I don't think it makes a big difference. Or could it be the anti roll bar present in the diesel? Petrol Aspires do not have anti roll bar and could this be the reason why they say petrol Aspires are not susceptible to road noise even with MRF rubbers?
Old 15th September 2017, 16:20   #1401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcan123 View Post
Petrol Aspires do not have anti roll bar and could this be the reason why they say petrol Aspires are not susceptible to road noise even with MRF rubbers?
I guess none of this matters to the road noise because the road noise will be generated by the rubber compound used in the construction of the tyre and not on any other mechanical bits in the car. So if the batch of tyres with faulty compound are causing the road noise, they have to be replaced. Write a mail to Ford India as they are very responsive. You may refer to the thread about defective headlamps in the Technical Stuff section and how quickly it was resolved by Ford for replacement of the same.
Old 15th September 2017, 16:48   #1402
BHPian

Quote:
I guess none of this matters to the road noise because the road noise will be generated by the rubber compound used in the construction of the tyre and not on any other mechanical bits in the car.
but I was just speculating that these might be some excuses from Ford's side.
Quote:
Write a mail to Ford India as they are very responsive. You may refer to the thread about defective headlamps in the Technical Stuff section and how quickly it was resolved by Ford for replacement of the same.
Yes, Ford India is very responsive. I called up to their customer care number and follow-up and response is very good. Good to feel that Ford is valuing the customer's complaints.
BTW, my car also has the headlight reflector burn mark on both the sides. Slightly disappointed with the fact that this has happened in just 7K km and that too on stock bulbs. Service center has agreed to cover it under warranty and replace the bulbs, without much fuss. The only thing I had to escalate to Ford India was with the tyre noise. Let's see how it turns out.\

BTW, does anyone know how to bring the factory finish of leather wrapped steering wheel (like the one in the sports variant) to non-sports variant? I want to partially cover the spokes of the steering wheel as well to bring that factory fit and finish. Any ideas?

Last edited by samcan123 : 15th September 2017 at 17:07.
samcan123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 18:49   #1403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, does anyone know how to bring the factory finish of leather wrapped steering wheel (like the one in the sports variant) to non-sports variant? I want to partially cover the spokes of the steering wheel as well to bring that factory fit and finish. Any ideas?
Any accessory shop which is famous for good installs around the place you live is the best place to try it out. They will get it close the OEM finish but the edges near the horn pad might not be up to the factory finish unless the steering can be removed. This is not going to be done on cars with airbags since chances of deploying the airbag is high.
Old 15th September 2017, 19:55   #1404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I think normally cars are equipped with just a primary clutch switch . The Sports version has a secondary as well.
One way to confirm is if you have experienced the rpm dropping after the surge causing the car to slow down, without any accelerator input. That happens in my car if I don't give some accelerator input at the right time. The secondary switch is supposed to give more rpms to make the gear shift smoother. I would have rather liked it if they had tuned it for a blip when downshifting like in the VW TSI engines.

Arvind has explained it in this post;
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...2-lakhs-7.html
Adding to abhinavs post, I too can say that this phenomenon does happen in the non sport diesel as well and it took some time for me to get adjusted to it. if its the secondary clutch thats causing it, then its evident that the regular version is equipped with it too. And if you go through the thread that you mentioned, you can see that bhpian deethjohn has mentioned that its present in all 1.5 TDCI units.
blackbandit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2017, 10:04   #1405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Service center has agreed to cover it under warranty and replace the bulbs, without much fuss.
Wait a minute. Did they replace the bulbs or the headlight assemblies?

They are supposed to do the latter.
Old 18th September 2017, 14:03   #1406
BHPian

Quote:
Wait a minute. Did they replace the bulbs or the headlight assemblies?
They are supposed to do the latter.
My bad. I was going to say reflectors and somehow ended up typing bulbs

BTW, I got my car back after second service. The headlamp reflectors on both sides were replaced under warranty. Also, after escalating to Ford India, got the 4 MRF tyres replaced under warranty. I was provided options of Goodyear and Bridgestone. I asked if Michelin was available. The service center did not have Michelin in stock but ordered for the same (probably from some other branch) and got them for me.

Ford India also confirmed to me that only diesel Figos/Aspires with MRF tyres are susceptible to excessive tyre noise. However, as a goodwill gesture, they replaced the tyres for my petrol Aspire too .
samcan123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2017, 19:40   #1407
Senior - BHPian

I was called yesterday to Hotel Lalit Ashok by a Ford rep for a feedback session on the Aspire.
He introduced himself as a channel partner of Ford and this
was a survey outsourced by Ford.

When I went today, I met the same person and few others who were from a survey company. There were 3 Japanese in a room along with an Indian from this survey company who was asking the survey questions.
When I asked the rep who called me what this was all about, he said it's a feedback regarding 5 car companies in the CS segment and the feedback will go to each company as per the car.
What surprised me was the 3 Japanese people in the room who was taking down notes.
I couldn't understand why they were there when this was a survey done for more than just Ford, unless the survey company is Japanese.

I heard the term SM and MSIL used by the person who asked me questions while she was on phone before the session.
When I brought up the reflector issue on the Figo's and Ecosport,their reaction was like, tell me more.

Something tells me it's a prominent car maker wanting feedback from other CS owners, or I may be thinking too much.

Last edited by tharian : 23rd September 2017 at 19:54.
tharian is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th September 2017, 17:12   #1408
Senior - BHPian

If anyone complains that the boot of the Aspire is very light and tinny, then they should remove the two springs holding the boot up. I did, and man is it heavy.

Its the springs that make it float and also jump up when opened. I myself had reservations about the boot weight but my shoulder has a different story to tell now
samaspire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2017, 00:04   #1409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If anyone complains that the boot of the Aspire is very light and tinny, then they should remove the two springs holding the boot up. I did, and man is it heavy.

Its the springs that make it float and also jump up when opened. I myself had reservations about the boot weight but my shoulder has a different story to tell now
That's good to hear.
The boot lid with the springs is super light and the action is quite violent in that it looks like it is going to shatter the glass.
I found the hood to be solid and heavy too. It's heavier than the previous gen Figo. Probably should be the same thickness as the boot lid now that you mentioned how it is without the springs.

Last edited by tharian : 25th September 2017 at 00:05.
tharian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2017, 08:26   #1410
BANNED

My Ford Aspire encountered the AC drain pipe bending issue and had been at the workshop for 18 days. The morons made a mess with the car at the first time by saying water entered from underside! I was helped by blackbandit and I had to visit the place armed with the knowledge and confronted the idiots who had to apologise and admitted it was a design fault and they had few cars which had the same issue. Very bad experience at Kairali Ford , Kottayam.

The car was returned with dirtied mats and floor carpet. Planning to change those beige carpet to black ones seen in Figo. Would they be a correct fit for Aspire? I'm talking about the carpets only, the one which is fixed and needs the removal of seats to fix. Does the Aspire Sports variant come with black carpets? Hope Ford has rectified the design flaw for the newer batches.
The Rationalist is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks