Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2017, 20:55   #901
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Figo : Official Review

Bhpians,

Any idea about engine life of diesel 1.5L TDCi available in current generation Figo?
Old 15th April 2017, 22:22   #902
BHPian

Had a strange incident with our new Figo 1.2. The car has done 6k km so far and is apprx 6 months old. One fine day, the car refused to start. The battery was good since we could hear the starter motor working the crank but the engine didn't sustain. It seemed like issue with either fuel supply or ignition. As we tried to open the fuel tank there was a strong hissing noise. Hoping that it was some issue with fuel delivery, we tried to crank again but still wouldn't budge. Fuel and dead battery being out of question, Ford road side assistance was prompt in arriving. However, to our dismay they were as clueless as us. The car was taken to the service station for elaborate analyses.

Initial diagnosis from service was grey as they said they couldn't track any error in the diagnostics and that they have referred the issue to Ford team. Surprisingly on the next day, we were told that the issue is fixed and all they did was clean the spark plugs. The service centre had no other explanation and the issue was raised with Ford since it is terrible reliability issue to have a new car stranded. Ford said that they never faced any such issue before and assured us the issue is solved.

However, I have my reservations and would like to know if other users had such an issue.

Thank you in advance.
Old 15th April 2017, 23:43   #903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Slightly OT & maybe already known, all cars which have instantaneous FE will show higher numbers during lesser load on the engine. In the Figo TDCi, if you are going downhill & you are in the correct gear, without any accelerator input, it will constantly show 99.9kmpl until the speed drops to a level which is not appropriate for that gear. Cannot be taken at face value. Of course, if you drive with the instantaneous FE screen showing up in the MID, the Avg. FE will be higher at the end of a drive if you are consciously shifting gears and maintaining a high instant FE number. I have noticed these high numbers showing up in the Jazz Petrol model too.

In Zest, the instantaneous FE meter is capped to 30. And people have realised even 27 kmpl in some conditions. More realistic implementation I would say.
balajisv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2017, 13:40   #904

Have a query regarding genuine accessories.

Floor/trunk mats and mud flaps are already paid for.

What other accessories are recommended?
I am interested in Parking Sensors(₹3k) and may be a Shark Fin(~₹500).

Should I go for Ford recommended one or any after market options(would be great if I get Make/Model)?

Getting Figo Titanium 1.2P White delivered this week.
rider_kaush is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2017, 21:01   #905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Bhpians,

Any idea about engine life of diesel 1.5L TDCi available in current generation Figo?
When you say engine life, a well maintained engine can last a couple lakh kms. On the forum our fellow bhpian espraveen completed around 45k kms in one year - Yes you read it right. With regular services he has not faced any issues so far and the engine can go on !! Lot of Uber and Ola guys are now going for the Aspire Base variant for cabs. If i see one when using one of then with high miles on the odo, i shall further update the thread. The 1.5 Tdci in a slightly detuned state has been doing duty on the Global Fiesta and Ecosport for a few years now so reliability should be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider_kaush View Post
Congrats on the new car. With respect to accessories, the parking sensors are good. The shark fin is a waste of money as it is only aesthetic and does not eliminate the need for the antenna at the front. If you like the way it looks you may opt for it.

Mods: Edit window had expired hence the back to back post. Apologies. Please merge with previous post.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th April 2017 at 07:39. Reason: Back to back posts merged
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2017, 22:53   #906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider_kaush View Post
Have a query regarding genuine accessories.

Floor/trunk mats and mud flaps are already paid for.

Should I go for Ford recommended one or any after market options(would be great if I get Make/Model)?

Floor mats are fabric and useless during rains. You will have to buy another set anyway.

Mud flaps - yes

Parking sensors - yes. Needed.

Shark fin - like abhinav said, its not functional. You will still have to use the regular antenna

Avoid all the chrome surrounds for the lights.

But you can look at the chromed side skirts and the chrome window liner, if you like chrome.

BUT, my suggestion is:
Avoid all additional expenditure and just upgrade your tyres.
samaspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 09:27   #907
BANNED

I'm not sure if it looks any different but the 'Tuxedo Black' has been rechristened to 'Absolute Black', this is applicable to both Aspire and Figo.

The naming on, Endeavour and Ecosport still remains - 'Panther Black'.
Torquedo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 10:47   #908
BANNED

Today is the media drive of the Figo Sports(revealed by Ford india on instagram) and the leaks confirmed a "sporty suspension". So waiting for the reviews to start trickling in.
agambhandari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 10:36   #909
BHPian

Having driven a diesel Figo for over 25K kms, I have a few questions to all the Diesel Figo owners,

Do you rev match? And if Yes, isn't it recommended to not do that in a diesel car. Also what is the correct way to do it, An explanation in layman terms would be better than providing links.
What I do is Press the clutch, Rev up to desired rpm and downshift and release the clutch. Is this right? Or do I have to shift to neutral in between?

Engine Braking. Is it good for a diesel and specifically for the Figo?

There are times when I have to keep the AC running for 2 hours at a stretch while the car is standing still. What should I do in order to minimise the damage during this?

Please be honest with your answers and I apologise if my questions seems like that of an amateur, cause that's what I am in front of all the members of TBhp.

Thanks.

Last edited by bhphog : 22nd April 2017 at 10:38.
bhphog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 11:02   #910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhphog View Post
Having driven a diesel Figo for over 25K kms, I have a few questions to all the Diesel Figo owners,

Do you rev match? And if Yes, isn't it recommended to not do that in a diesel car. Also what is the correct way to do it, An explanation in layman terms would be better than providing links.
What I do is Press the clutch, Rev up to desired rpm and downshift and release the clutch. Is this right? Or do I have to shift to neutral in between?

Engine Braking. Is it good for a diesel and specifically for the figo.
Frankly I never look at the rev counter while shifting the gears. I select the gear depending upon the speed, load and hearing the engine. Rev matching as you do, would be very difficult and distracting especially for me. Shifting usually happens roughly at about 2.5 k rpm.
Blow Horn Ok is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 13:58   #911
BHPian

Quote:

Engine Braking. Is it good for a diesel and specifically for the Figo?

There are times when I have to keep the AC running for 2 hours at a stretch while the car is standing still. What should I do in order to minimise the damage during this?

Please be honest with your answers and I apologise if my questions seems like that of an amateur, cause that's what I am in front of all the members of TBhp.

Thanks.
I usually rev match before downshifting especially when downshifting at relatively higher speeds for overtaking/ spirited driving or going up inclines. Rev matching is often(though not always) required to ensure smooth and jerk free gear changes.

Lets say you are at 60kmph in your tdci at 2000 rpm in third gear and you upshift to 4th gear. As soon as you press the clutch the engine revs start falling and when you engage 4th gear, the final revs are about 1600. Upshifts are usually smooth because 4th gear will require lower rpms and the act of changing gears cause a decrease in rpms towards the final value thereby making it simpler for the gearbox synchronizers to compensate for any change in rpm between the two gears. Downshifting is a different story though. Now let's go from 4th to third at 60kmph. Lets say you're initially at 1600 rpm in 4th, as soon as you press the clutch to downshift the resulting half a second delay in changing gears will cause your rpm to drop to say 1400 and then they must rise again to 2000 rpm when you release the clutch again in 3rd gear. In this case the synchronizers will have to compensate for 600rpm and you will feel a jerk in the car as soon as third gear is engaged.

So summing it up, the need for rev matching arises in downshifting as engine revs fall during gear change while you want them to go up while when upshifting engine revs fall which is exactly what you want for a good gear change. Do note that when downshifting at lower speed, Rev matching is not needed and a 4th to 3rd gear change at say 35 kmph will be relatively smooth even without Rev matching. So what I mean is that if you downshift at low enough vehicle speed you will not need to rev match. An overwhelming majority of drivers in India would never have even heard of rev matching.
Everyone uses engine braking in their cars. As soon as you step off the accelerator the engine revs start dropping and will slowly progress towards the idling rpm. That is engine braking. It's essential to use engine baking when going down hill.

Yes of course you can rev match in a diesel car. Look at it this way, if you select a gear and at a particular vehicle speed the car will always be at a fixed rpm. It is either the driver who will rev match to bring the car smoothly to the required rpm during gear change or the synchronizer and clutch will raise engine speed with a jerk. To rev match
1. Press the clutch
2. Blip the throttle upto required rpm
3. Select lower gear release the clutch.
All of this should be done very fast in one fluid motion

Last edited by bullrun87 : 22nd April 2017 at 14:08.
bullrun87 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 20:52   #912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
I usually rev match before downshifting especially when downshifting at relatively higher speeds for overtaking/ spirited driving or going up inclines. Rev matching is often(though not always) required to ensure smooth and jerk free gear changes.
Thanks for the information and I understand the concept of rev matching. What I was worried about was the technique.
Old 22nd April 2017, 22:37   #913
BHPian

Ideally if you want to discuss rev matching technique in detail, you can post in the Technical section.

Quote:
Thanks for the information and I understand the concept of rev matching. What I was worried about was the technique.
Old 23rd May 2017, 11:48   #914
BHPian

Hello All,

Any recommendations for service centre in Bangalore around koramangala.

Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd May 2017, 18:00   #915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngauravmalhotra View Post
Any recommendations for service centre in Bangalore around koramangala.
I have been a regular at Elite Ford Service Center at Mahadevapura since 2014 and it has been good dealing with them for regular service so far for my Classic & the New Figo Tdci.

If you are specifically looking for something in Koramangala only, google throws up the below:

Cauvery Ford
Address: SN 1, 80 Ft Rd, 8th Blk, Koramangala, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560095
Phone: 099860 77678

They have a rating of 3.9 stars on Google so you can refer the reviews and also wait for other bhpians from that part of town who have visited this Service Center for their feedback.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks