Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2017, 14:26   #1681
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

What kind of wait times does a diesel Alpha Baleno see these days?
Old 26th January 2017, 08:36   #1682
BHPian

Seniors & Experts please help me.

Yesterday I've given my Baleno Alpha Petrol for its 3rd Free Service at Sai Service Pvt Ltd at Sanathnagar in Hyderabad.

After servicing is done, I've got to see in the bill that the Oil change is done using "SYNTHETIC OIL (5W-30)-CASTROL" whereas the service manual recommends using "0W-20".

My worry is whether this will cause any harm to my engine? Before putting this post I made a google search wherein few websites say "Its ok to use 5w-30 for petrol engines in indian climates" while some others say "Its inappropriate to use 5w-30 for petrol engines as its used for Diesel engines only.

When I asked the SA regarding which oil did you use, he replied "Sir, this oil is supplied by MSIL only".

I'm quite worried regarding this issue as I drove the car from the service station to my home till now which is quite a good 20kms and odd. However during the drive from service station to home, I felt that the engine seems to have a little uplift in its performance but I do not know what is happening to the health of the engine.

And even I felt that the engine oil change went a bit expensive. Or is the pricing appropriate? Kindly guide me. I am specifying below the breakdown of charges levied to me.

Oil Filter = Rs.78.60/-
Distilled Water = Rs.13.10/-
Synthetic Oil (5W-30) Castrol = Rs.550.22 x 3.5Litres = Rs.1760.70/-.
Screen Wash = 13.10 x 3packets = Rs.39.30/-
Total = Rs.1891.70/-
VAT = Rs.274.30/-

Final Total = Rs.2166/-.

Guys, please help me out with all your expertise.

Thank You.
Old 26th January 2017, 10:08   #1683
BHPian

I had a very similar issue recently with Maruti Baleno Alpha (P) when I gave it for the 3rd free service at 9000kms. I asked for fully synthetic oil to be used and was given the Shell Ultra Helix 5W-40 instead of a 0W-20 grade oil. There is a fully synthetic 0W-20 grade for the oil on Shell's website but the service station did not have it. I was charged about Rs.3600 for the fully synthetic oil. In the end, I changed back to 0W-20 after driving for about 1500 kms due to the lower fuel economy.

My observations with using the fully synthetic oil 5W-40 for 1500kms on the Baleno Petrol:
1. The engine was very smooth with much lesser vibrations. The engine felt a bit "heavier" but smooth.
2. Fuel economy dropped heavily in the city. Where I used to get 17-18 kmpl on the MID, I was getting 13.5-14.5 kmpl.
3. Engine performance noticeably improved at high speeds and was low in vibration. Fuel economy was comparable to 0W-20 in highway runs at speed (20-22kmpl).

I changed back to 0W-20 after 1500kms (at 10,500 kms on the odo) mainly because of the low mileage. It was addictive to see how the Baleno Petrol was so fuel efficient in the past. The observations:
1. The engine smoothness went away and more vibrations could be felt. The car felt "free moving".
2. Fuel economy in the city improved and returned to the old 17-18 kmpl on the MID.
3. On highway runs at high speed, performance was not like the synthetic oil and vibrations were felt more. Fuel economy was the same at about 20-22kmpl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohiT Nonu View Post
Seniors & Experts please help me.

Yesterday I've given my Baleno Alpha Petrol for its 3rd Free Service at Sai Service Pvt Ltd at Sanathnagar in Hyderabad.

After servicing is done, I've got to see in the bill that the Oil change is done using "SYNTHETIC OIL (5W-30)-CASTROL" whereas the service manual recommends using "0W-20".

My worry is whether this will cause any harm to my engine? Before putting this post I made a google search wherein few websites say "Its ok to use 5w-30 for petrol engines in indian climates" while some others say "Its inappropriate to use 5w-30 for petrol engines as its used for Diesel engines only.

When I asked the SA regarding which oil did you use, he replied "Sir, this oil is supplied by MSIL only".

I'm quite worried regarding this issue as I drove the car from the service station to my home till now which is quite a good 20kms and odd. However during the drive from service station to home, I felt that the engine seems to have a little uplift in its performance but I do not know what is happening to the health of the engine.

And even I felt that the engine oil change went a bit expensive. Or is the pricing appropriate? Kindly guide me. I am specifying below the breakdown of charges levied to me.

Oil Filter = Rs.78.60/-
Total = Rs.1891.70/-
VAT = Rs.274.30/-

Final Total = Rs.2166/-.

Thank You.
spsam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 10:20   #1684
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Oil Filter = Rs.78.60/-
Total = Rs.1891.70/-
VAT = Rs.274.30/-

Final Total = Rs.2166/-.

Thank You.
Here is the breakup of my Baleno Alpha petrol's 3rd service, done at Vitesse Andheri - Mumbai recently.

Gasket, Oil Drain Plug = 5.29/-
Oil Filter Assembly = 79.30/-
Oil -MGO (0W20) IOCL = 3.1X377.97 = 1171.7/-
Screen Wash = 13.22/-

Total Amount was = 1440.90/- (1269.52 + Vat 13.5%)

I think Maruti has switched to synthetic 5W30 for the DDIS engines.

I notice there is no drain plug mentioned in your bill.
SRK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2017, 11:08   #1685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsam View Post
I had a very similar issue recently with Maruti Baleno Alpha (P) when I gave it for the 3rd free service at 9000kms. I asked for fully synthetic oil to be used and was given the Shell Ultra Helix 5W-40 instead of a 0W-20 grade oil. There is a fully synthetic 0W-20 grade for the oil on Shell's website but the service station did not have it. I was charged about Rs.3600 for the fully synthetic oil. In the end, I changed back to 0W-20 after driving for about 1500 kms due to the lower fuel economy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
Here is the breakup of my Baleno Alpha petrol's 3rd service, done at Vitesse Andheri - Mumbai recently.

Gasket, Oil Drain Plug = 5.29/-
Oil Filter Assembly = 79.30/-
Oil -MGO (0W20) IOCL = 3.1X377.97 = 1171.7/-
Screen Wash = 13.22/-
Total Amount was = 1440.90/- (1269.52 + Vat 13.5%)
I think Maruti has switched to synthetic 5W30 for the DDIS engines.
Guys, thank you so much for sharing your experiences. Now what are the possible steps that I can take against the Sai service station (Sanathnagar) for having an engine flush out and replacing with 0W-20. Could you guys lend me some suggestions to get this issue sorted out. Is it possible or exists any way to put up a complaint directly with maruti suzuki regarding inappropriate filling of another grade engine oil than the recommended one. Are there any instances where Maruti suzuki has responded to such service related issues?
Today on account of republic day, all the service stations are closed. So what can be my first step to resolve this issue tomorrow morning.
Old 26th January 2017, 12:30   #1686
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, thank you so much for sharing your experiences. Now what are the possible steps that I can take against the Sai service station (Sanathnagar) for having an engine flush out and replacing with 0W-20. Could you guys lend me some suggestions to get this issue sorted out. Is it possible or exists any way to put up a complaint directly with maruti suzuki regarding inappropriate filling of another grade engine oil than the recommended one. Are there any instances where Maruti suzuki has responded to such service related issues?
Today on account of republic day, all the service stations are closed. So what can be my first step to resolve this issue tomorrow morning.
Try and first contact the service station and see what they have to say. Show them the manual and point out they have poured the oil recommended for diesel in your petrol car.

If it doesn't work you can contact Maruti and Nexa via email. They respond but sometimes take a lot of time to get back. Give all the details in it. If possible also add the service station too.
SRK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 15:21   #1687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Which variant do you own?

The ride quality in Zeta and Alpha variants is definitely very poor as the wheels are 195/55 R16.

Bone jarring ride is felt especially when you travel alone.

I'm maintaining 29psi in all the wheels, still the ride is extremely uncomfortable.
I've got the Delta. sending her for the 15k service tomorrow. Let's see if they can find a solution to this problem
Old 27th January 2017, 16:22   #1688
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....Now what are the possible steps that I can take against the Sai service station (Sanathnagar) for having an engine flush out and replacing with 0W-20. Could you guys lend me some suggestions to get this issue sorted out...
Step 1:
Quote:
...Try and first contact the service station and see what they have to say. Show them the manual and point out they have poured the oil recommended for diesel in your petrol car...
If you are not comfortable with the explanation they give, insist that you need the proper grade oil filled FOC and also a reimbursement if there are any additional charges. Please avoid engine flushing - that's not good for the engine.

Also, please be patient and work with them towards a resolution.

Step 2:
Quote:
...If it doesn't work you can contact Maruti and Nexa via email. They respond but sometimes take a lot of time to get back. Give all the details in it...
Quote:
...If possible also add the service station too.
Not required, when you mention the car details (registration number), they'll pull the last serviced centre details.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2017, 16:33   #1689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Final Total = Rs.2166/-.
Baleno diesel uses 5W-30 engine oil.

Shell, IOC, Castrol oil are usually available with Maruti Service centers for the entire range of engines. For Swift, Dzire and Baleno Petrol the oil recommended in Manual is 0W-20. IOC offers 0W-20 but is not synthetic and this is stocked by service centers in Gujarat that are known for keeping service costs to a minimum. A few of them stock Shell (HX-8) fully synthetic.

Please ask the service center to confirm over email or so for this engine oil being filled in your car. 5W-30 for K-series is unheard for and actually its for the diesel Baleno.

I feel 0W-20 should be used as its recommended by Maruti, and obviously they would have done far more research before arriving at the specific grade. Haven't used 5W30 so cant say what difference is felt. My Swift VXi is currently running on Shell HX-8 0W-20.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 27th January 2017 at 16:48.
Old 28th January 2017, 17:37   #1690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Step 1:

If you are not comfortable with the explanation they give, insist that you need the proper grade oil filled FOC and also a reimbursement if there are any additional charges. Please avoid engine flushing - that's not good for the engine.

Also, please be patient and work with them towards a resolution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Baleno diesel uses 5W-30 engine oil.

Shell, IOC, Castrol oil are usually available with Maruti Service centers for the entire range of engines. For Swift, Dzire and Baleno Petrol the oil recommended in Manual is 0W-20. IOC offers 0W-20 but is not synthetic and this is stocked by service centers in Gujarat that are known for keeping service costs to a minimum. A few of them stock Shell (HX-8) fully synthetic.

I feel 0W-20 should be used as its recommended by Maruti, and obviously they would have done far more research before arriving at the specific grade. Haven't used 5W30 so cant say what difference is felt. My Swift VXi is currently running on Shell HX-8 0W-20.
Thanks you BHPians for the timely support. As suggested, I raised the issue with Sai Service Private Limited-Sanathnagar yesterday morning. The customer care lady said she will revert back to me after going through their representatives. I waited till the day end but in vain as she didnt get back to me.

Finally today morning I again telephoned her and asked about the status and she handed over the phone to their Works Manager. I asked him on how such a basic mistake but of utmost importance can happen that a petrol engine be filled with diesel engine oil. He again asked for some time to go through and revert back to me.

Felt a sense of putting off things from their end, I registered a service feedback with NEXA narrating the whole scene. Maybe after a couple of hours, the works manager called me and started saying Sir, it is petrol engine oil only that was filled in your car. I started asking him queries about grade of the oil then in a few minutes he himself felt he didn't have knowledge to speak about it. He asked me to engage a conversation with some other person in a couple of hours and I said ok.

After sometime, I was called up by a Castrol Area Sales Manager. He started explaining me about Castrol Magnatec Synthetic Oil qualities of 5w-30 and after listening to him asked him how the oil grade recommended by Maruti Suzuki is unmatched with the oil recommended for petrol engines. Later, he admitted that its a mistake of service adviser to convey the engine oil that he is going to put into prior my car commissioned to technicians for servicing.

Finally, the Works Manager agreed to change the engine oil and the Oil Filter. I asked him whether he has the 0w-20 engine oil available with him and if yes then asked him to send the snapshots of Oil to my whatsapp. He sent me the images of which I am attaching them here.

I inferred through these images that they have a 0w-20 IOCL engine oil but not sure whether it is Fully Synthetic or Semi-Synthetic or Mineral.

Dear BHPians kindly peruse these images and suggest me if I should get this oil into my car or Should I ask for any other alternative?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img20170128wa0000.jpg  

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img20170128wa0001.jpg  

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img20170128wa0002.jpg  

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img20170128wa0003.jpg  

Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img20170128wa0004.jpg  

rohiT Nonu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 20:22   #1691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I inferred through these images that they have a 0w-20 IOCL engine oil but not sure whether it is Fully Synthetic or Semi-Synthetic or Mineral.

Dear BHPians kindly peruse these images and suggest me if I should get this oil into my car or Should I ask for any other alternative?
As per my knowledge, IOCL oil is not fully synthetic. Had it in my swift vxi and it felt not that good. I changed it to Shell and now my engine is super smooth and efficiency has improved too. Try to get Shell fully synthetic oil, your engine will good for it !
Try to get an email from service centre to document the entire episode that they filled in wrong oil, it's a nasty error in my view.

If they are not able to offer Shell, atleast get the correct grade of engine oil as first priority. You may ask them to get the oil changed at your residence rather than driving to the service centre.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 14:15   #1692
BHPian

Baleno Zeta/Alpha owners - Need your help on 'Follow-Me Home lamps' function.

The 'Guide-Me to car' function seems to working perfectly when I have the headlamp switch in 'Auto' mode and then press the Unlock button on the key fob.

But, the 'Follow-Me Home lamps' doesn't seem to work as expected (ie) I switch off the engine, lock the vehicle when the headlamp switch is still in 'Auto' mode.

I have the checked the Settings in the Speedometer console. Both are enabled for 10 seconds.
Old 30th January 2017, 15:50   #1693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
As per my knowledge, IOCL oil is not fully synthetic. Had it in my swift vxi and it felt not that good. I changed it to Shell and now my engine is super smooth and efficiency has improved too. Try to get Shell fully synthetic oil, your engine will good for it !
Try to get an email from service centre to document the entire episode that they filled in wrong oil, it's a nasty error in my view.

If they are not able to offer Shell, atleast get the correct grade of engine oil as first priority. You may ask them to get the oil changed at your residence rather than driving to the service centre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Step 1:

Dear Bhpians, as suggested by aaggoswami, I have made a point with the service works manager to provide me the SHELL Helix HX8 0W-20 AZ FULLY SYNTHETIC engine oil. I have also sent him a pic of the oil can which I got from our teambhp forum. He said he will get it by today evening. I asked him to send me a pic when he gets the engine oil can with him so that I can make it assure that it is the same oil that I specified to him.

Now I am having few doubts regarding it.

Qno.1) Shell has no retail outlets in telangana-hyderabad. So my doubt is how can he get an oil which is hardly available in market that easy by today evening? Any guess.

Qno.2) Do shell engine oil cans have a seal at the lid which makes sure that the oil is original and has not been replaced with any other grade oil or its duplicates? I mean any paper or thin foil seal that we usually see at the mouth of their can? Or any such sort to make sure that the shell oil can and the oil are original?
If yes then I can ask him to break open the seal infront of me so as to ascertain the originality of Shell oil.

Qno.3) How much does the SHELL HELIX HX8 0W-20 AZ FULLY SYNTHETIC OIL recommended by Maruti Suzuki costs? Any rough idea?

Thank you TeamBHP.
Old 30th January 2017, 16:17   #1694
BHPian

Need to confirm, if Baleno comes with Brake Assist along with ABS and EBD. I have checked the official reviews and website but it is not quoted anywhere. Not sure whether it needs to be mentioned separately or comes by default with the cars equipped with ABS.
AFAIK, none of the Maruti Suzuki Car is equipped with Brake Assist.
Old 30th January 2017, 19:11   #1695
t18
BHPian

Quote:
I have the checked the Settings in the Speedometer console. Both are enabled for 10 seconds.
As per the manual you need to pull the lighting lever toward you once and open the door within 60 seconds. Or pull the lighting lever toward you once while the driver's side door is open.

The lighting switch should be in AUTO mode.

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th January 2018 at 20:11. Reason: Fixing quote tag.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks