Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2016, 09:46   #1291
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
I have a Delta petrol Baleno.
A thing that I have noticed is that the Baleno has virtually no self straightening of the front wheels while coming out of a turn - the castor effect - as compared to my Esteem.
That is what I noticed in my Baleno Zeta CVT aswell compared to my Passat. The Steering has a very dead centre feel and negligible resistance to turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIX View Post
What milage does the Baleno Zeta CVT give? City & Highway?
My Baleno Zeta CVT has done 900 Kms in the last 3 weeks. Mainly city driving in Gurgaon. THe mileage for the first tankful was 13 Km/l as it included 100 kms of highway. The second one as only returned 12.1 Km/l.

I am a bit surprised as People claim 15-17 Km/l for Baleno Petrol Manuals. I expected CVT to do better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathish81 View Post
Zeta mileage should be same as Delta cvt.
12.5 in city
14 highway
Spot on! I am getting similar numbers. A bit disappointed as I was expecting something close to 15 for City. Aren't CVTs supposed to do a better job than Manuals.

Off topic: My car is going in for the first free 1000 Km service next week.
Things I should and should not Do?
Oil Change?
Best Maruti Service centre in Gurgaon?

Thanks
PS: Pics are overdue
Old 17th August 2016, 10:20   #1292
BHPian

Quote:
I am a bit surprised as People claim 15-17 Km/l for Baleno Petrol Manuals. I expected CVT to do better.
I guess it's a little difficult to come up with a good number for a CVT milage given the wide variation one can get based on driving styles. But I'd be happy with a 12.x in city. ... I guess.

Is CVT supposed to get a better average compared to MT? Under ideal conditions I would think. But again, in City driving "Stop and Go" - I am not sure. Here I figure a CVT owner has agreed to compromise milage over comfort. I've booked a Zeta CVT; And this is what I'm bracing for.
[I hope I'm wrong]

Last edited by CLIX : 17th August 2016 at 10:26.
Old 17th August 2016, 10:41   #1293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
Whatever companies say, I always feel that the best fuel efficiency is achievable on a manual transmission ( if the driver is good ) compared to any of the automatics. The reason is very simple - the driver decides the engine rpm and there is no energy needed for shifting as well.

In the case of CVTs, if you pump your accelerator, you will see the rpm climbing without much progress in the speed. There is a lot of waste in fuel.

The only exception I've seen is in the manual shift mode of the AMTs.

Maybe, being a bit light footed might help have a better fuel efficiency on CVTs. But, end of the day, don't expect manual's mileage regardless of what the manufacturer claims.
Old 17th August 2016, 11:00   #1294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Whatever companies say, I always feel that the best fuel efficiency is achievable on a manual transmission ( if the driver is good ) compared to any of the automatics. The reason is very simple - the driver decides the engine rpm and there is no energy needed for shifting as well.

In the case of CVTs, if you pump your accelerator, you will see the rpm climbing without much progress in the speed. There is a lot of waste in fuel.

The only exception I've seen is in the manual shift mode of the AMTs.

Maybe, being a bit light footed might help have a better fuel efficiency on CVTs. But, end of the day, don't expect manual's mileage regardless of what the manufacturer claims.
Dear amalji,

I am not sure if you are entirely correct. I think that when we change from manual to CVT (or any other type of AT) we need to change our driving style. I found FE significantly higher in my Jazz VCVT than claimed by others for their MTs!! I am assuming that their driving styles are 'different' than mine. Anyway, my Honda City ZX VTEC 2006 (MT) gave me an extreme 19.5 kmpl over a 1100 km trip with 4 adults, lots of luggage and AC 100% ON - with lots of ghat roads too!!

Principally, all automatics are for ease of driving. In some cases this results in lower FE and in some cases it results in higher FE. Leave it at that!!

I hope you do not take offense that I contradict you. I respect your opinion. I am just adding one more view.

Girish Mahajan
Old 17th August 2016, 11:29   #1295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
I am not sure if you are entirely correct. I think that when we change from manual to CVT (or any other type of AT) we need to change our driving style. I found FE significantly higher in my Jazz VCVT than claimed by others for their MTs!! I am assuming that their driving styles are 'different' than mine. Anyway, my Honda City ZX VTEC 2006 (MT) gave me an extreme 19.5 kmpl over a 1100 km trip with 4 adults, lots of luggage and AC 100% ON - with lots of ghat roads too!!

Principally, all automatics are for ease of driving. In some cases this results in lower FE and in some cases it results in higher FE. Leave it at that!!
The logic is very simple.
  • If you are someone who knows how to get the best mileage out of a vehicle, manual gives you more freedom to do that.
  • If you are someone whose driving style is not so fuel friendly, a CVT might help correct that.
But, if there is a mileage competition and I want to win that competition, I would any day pick up a manual transmission vehicle of the same engine over the CVTs. This will mostly be the case unless if the CVT's final gear ratio is taller than the manual.

Automatics are always choosen over MT for the comfort it offers, not for mileage advantage.

Last edited by amalji : 17th August 2016 at 11:38.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 12:16   #1296
BHPian

Re: Suzuki Baleno Servicing Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickmano View Post
Entire bonnet was painted
Hello Maverickmano, Could you please let me know where(which MASS) was this painting done and the cost of the same. My 10 days old Ray blue Alpha has caught a bit of rough spiral scratches on the right side of the bonnet somehow.
Old 17th August 2016, 13:01   #1297
Distinguished - BHPian

I got back from a 490 km, 1 day trip (Hyd-Srisailam-Hyd) in my friend's Alpha petrol. We were 5 of us in the car. I drove 270 kms, rest was shared between two others. Route consisted of 4-lane road, 2 lane roads and ghats. FE was 17.1 kmpl (100% AC) while the MID showed 17.7 kmpl for the trip.
Old 17th August 2016, 15:54   #1298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Automatics are always choosen over MT for the comfort it offers, not for mileage advantage.
Totally agree!!
Thanks for the clarification.

Girish Mahajan
Old 18th August 2016, 15:42   #1299
BHPian

Re: Suzuki Baleno Servicing Trivandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
Hello Maverickmano, Could you please let me know where(which MASS) was this painting done and the cost of the same. My 10 days old Ray blue Alpha has caught a bit of rough spiral scratches on the right side of the bonnet somehow.
Very sad to know; for me it costed ~6K, for denting and painting inclusive of taxes. Got it done at Pratham Motors Service center near Kudlu Gate.
maverickmano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 21:23   #1300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am also in a desperate need of a body cover for my car
Go for NEXA body cover, I bought grey one costing 1100Rs and it is good enough.
Old 20th August 2016, 22:16   #1301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIX View Post
But I'd be happy with a 12.x in city. ... I guess.
I get only 9.7 Kmpl on my petrol Baleno in Bangalore traffic , tankful to tankful method(MID showed 10.2Kmpl).

I always drive light footed, 100% AC on.
For perspective, I cover 11.5Kms in 55-60mins and I get the opportunity to use top gear only for a total of 3Kms.

Is something wrong with my car?
Old 20th August 2016, 22:40   #1302
BHPian

Was checking with Nexa regarding the status of my Baleno booking. I thought I'll try my luck at getting any info one the supposed suspension niggles.
The marketing associate at Nexa readily got talking about how they know about it, and some plan to fix it soon. No details.

Wonder if this was just some smart talk to avoid going into an uncomfortable chitchat.
Old 21st August 2016, 11:04   #1303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickmano View Post
I get only 9.7 Kmpl on my petrol Baleno in Bangalore traffic , tankful to tankful method(MID showed 10.2Kmpl).

I always drive light footed, 100% AC on.
For perspective, I cover 11.5Kms in 55-60mins and I get the opportunity to use top gear only for a total of 3Kms.

Is something wrong with my car?
When less than 30% of your ride is on top gear - I see no reason to worry about your milage figures. Average speed 11.5 km/hr. Car must have had trouble going past mostly 3rd & 2nd gear ratios.

Hey That's good milage running on 2nd and 3rd gear ratios!
CLIX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 07:04   #1304
BANNED

First of all, Thanks to the moderator(s) for approving my membership. Nothing feels greater than earning a Team-Bhp membership. This is my first post, so please excuse my ignorance.

Quote:
I started to feel a shudder or, say a sort jerk, while shifting from 1st to 2nd gear.

I also felt the jerk initially while shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Checked with MASS and the service advisor advised me to release the clutch slowly than the way I was doing before. He also advised me to press the accelerator pedal a bit more than required while releasing the clutch to make sure that the engine is in proper RPM bandwidth for that gear. Followed the same, and did not face the issue thereafter.
Rajeeev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 10:15   #1305
BHPian

I have recently done a Mumbai-Bhopal-Mumbai stretch over a period of 3 days on my petrol Zeta manual. Around 90% with AC and the balance without. Got an FE of 20.8 for the entire trip of 1595 kms. Pretty impressed with the ride quality on highways and the mileage. The entire stretch between Mumbai and Bhopal is awesome and is a delight to drive on.
anuraglakhotia is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks