Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2016, 11:24   #196
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post

Wow anurag I'm elated that an expert like you has advised the same. Will keep that in mind,as I put forth I'm definitely inclined towards the AWD over the A /T more now
Lol. I am no expert Sir.

Since I am wanting to replace my Swift with the XUV 5OO, I am looking at different options hence gave a suggestion. I am totally in love with this car.

I'll not keen on taking the car off road so AWD may not be a major need. I hate AT's anyway so that is ruled out too.

I am planning for W10 FWD.

Last edited by a4anurag : 25th April 2016 at 11:27.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 11:36   #197
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Lol. I am no expert Sir.

Since I am wanting to replace my Swift with the XUV 5OO, I am looking at different options hence gave a suggestion. I am totally in love with this car.

I'll not keen on taking the car off road so AWD may not be a major need. I hate AT's anyway so that is ruled out too.

I am planning for W10 FWD.
Haha you don't become a distinguished BHP member without being an expert in your own right. You're being modest.
I wish you also get your cheetah soon.
Also very curious just for my knowledge why is it you hate the A /T. I myself haven't driven
A /T so just wanted to know
Old 25th April 2016, 11:39   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Hello friends please help me choose between W8 A/T and W10 AWD.

The XUV does come with both AWD and A/T. My reasons for choosing AWD over A/T are as follows

- Its a new technology so will have to wait and watch how it works out for Mahindra, the AWD meanwhile is tried and tested. Have already been waiting for a while now don't want to delay further. There's no end to it then.

-The combination of both is pushing the price to beyond 21L on road Mumbai would like to be within the psychological limit of 20L though I know its just a Lakh more.

- Too many electronics for my comfort exponential chances of things going wrong.

- Appreciable difference in fuel economy figures of 16 km/ ltr to 13 km/ ltr.

- my vehicle use is Not for daily commute and will be used for occasional road trips outside Mumbai / all over India. My Grand i10 will still be used for city use.

Any comments will be appreciated by all the experts and friends.
I would suggest you to get the W10 AWD AT. Reasons?
1) The AT gearbox is from Aisin and has been in other cars (globally). So reliability will most likely not be an issue.
2) Even on long drives, an AT adds to the convenience factor and reduces fatigue. No need to work through the gears for a quick overtake.
3) Although you say Grand i10 is there for city use, you may end up using the XUV in the city too sometimes. An AT is better then.
4) In case of slightly muddy/slushy conditions, you do not have to worry about the modulating the clutch.
5) In terms of electronics, Mahindra doesn't give start-stop system and push button start in the AT variant. So lesser things to fail

The 1 lakh additional that you spend is well worth it considering what you get.
amansanc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 12:11   #199
BANNED

Quote:
I wish you also get your cheetah soon.
Also very curious just for my knowledge why is it you hate the A /T. I myself haven't driven A /T so just wanted to know
Thank you for the wishes.

I am not comfortable with AT in any car. We have a partial AT at home (Alto K10 AMT) and in its 10K kms covered I would have used it for 300 kms maximum may be.

To point out here, I have driven the XUV W10 AT and it was lovely to be driving it. Doesn't feel like the regular slush boxes. Felt very nicely mated to the car. Smooth shifts, silent, doesn't let the passengers know the gear upshift or downshift.

If I had to choose an AT car for usage it would be the XUV AT over anything else.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 12:47   #200
BHPian

I am a happy (so far) owner of a 2016 XUV500 W10 AWD AT.

This car was purchased as an upgrade to our beloved 2012 Vento TDI HL MT, which I have done 86000+ happy kilometres in with me as the sole driver. I tell you, the most unhappy seat in that car was the front passenger seat. That car can actively make you depressed when someone else drives, solely because you want to drive it yourself the way it flies.

My other reasons for buying the W10 AWD AT:
1. I always tend to buy the highest variant available. It prevents envy down the road .

2. I was sick of driving a manual in our horrible traffic. It used to leave me with a sore left knee given the number of gear changes required, even with the Vento's humongous pulling ability. This became worse after we got our GT TSI and I got used to an automatic.

3. As to the AWD, since we were buying an SUV, why go FWD when AWD is available for just a bit more? Also it gives me the peace of mind that it is there if need it. I'd rather have and not need than need and not have. I can also now go places I would never even consider going in the Vento.

4. I've always loved the XUV since it came out, but we'd just bought the Vento and I could not justify the upgrade then. Also we missed out on the sweepstakes system M&M had in place at the start. When the face lift came out, I liked the looks much better than the older model. And when they came out with an AT just as we were thinking of an upgrade from the Vento, I was absolutely hooked.

5. As to the electronics, most modern cars are more electronic than mechanical. They need the electronics to work properly at all. Also most AWD's are electronic shift nowadays except ones like the true jeep types. I think it makes the whole thing much more user friendly. We used to have an old CJ500 where you had to stop, get out, and manually lock the wheels if you needed 4WD. It was an absolute pain. This I can be comfortable knowing the car will shift as and when needed.

6. My family is reveling the space available. It is so comfortable in the 2nd row that for the first time in my life I think I might be as happy there as driving. And the cabin itself feels like a summer pavilion with all the space and airiness. So far it has been an absolute joy to travel in the XUV.

7. Regarding the auto box - just as many have pointed out, even during the review, I am finding that the box changes gears very nearly when I would have if it were manual. It also seems to be learning. The shifts are already much smoother and quicker that when we first got the car. And if I absolutely need it, manual is available.

8. The greater ground clearance means that I can safely and easily wade puddles that would have choked the Polo or Vento. Given my daily drive, that is an absolute bonus, as I often used to have to divert during heavy rains.

Now all I need is to find a place where I can do a little off-roading to see the car's full potential.

Last edited by .anshuman : 25th April 2016 at 13:07. Reason: Added spaces for better readability. Thanks
pillainp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 13:18   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
I would suggest you to get the W10 AWD AT. Reasons?
1) The AT gearbox is from Aisin and has been in other cars (globally). So reliability will most likely not be an issue.
The 1 lakh additional that you spend is well worth it considering what you get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Thank you for the wishes.

I am not comfortable with AT in any car. We have a partial AT at home (Alto K10 AMT) and in its 10K kms covered I would have used it for 300 kms maximum may be.

To point out here, I have driven the XUV W10 AT and it was lovely to be driving it. Doesn't feel like the regular slush boxes. Felt very nicely mated to the car. Smooth shifts, silent, doesn't let the passengers know the gear upshift or downshift.

If I had to choose an AT car for usage it would be the XUV AT over anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
I am a happy (so far) owner of a 2016 XUV500 W10 AWD AT.

This car was purchased as an upgrade to our beloved 2012 Vento TDI HL MT, which I have done 86000+ happy kilometres in with me as the sole driver. I tell you, the most unhappy seat in that car was the front passenger seat. That car can actively make you depressed when someone else drives, solely because you want to drive it yourself the way it flies.

Now all I need is to find a place where I can do a little off-roading to see the car's full potential.

Wow thanks guys for all that information. Bottom line is that I now have to also look at W 10 AWD A/T and will now also try that out and get back with my decision.
Have immediately booked an appointment for the test drive tomorrow. The waiting time for the said vehicle is about 2 months which is a downer but considering using the vehicle for so many years to come that extra waiting period and moolah makes sense.
Also what is the milage difference realistically between the AWD over the A /T. Considering 1000 kms and more drives this would also be a deciding factor assuming much larger fuel expenses.
I however am still waiting for someone to corroborate the view of AWD scoring over the A /T.

Last edited by vinitbhavi : 25th April 2016 at 13:22. Reason: Milage information
Old 25th April 2016, 13:24   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Wow thanks guys for all that information. Bottom line is that I now have to also look at W 10 AWD A/T and will now also try that out and get back with my decision.
Have immediately booked an appointment for the test drive tomorrow. The waiting time for the said vehicle is about 2 months which is a downer but considering using the vehicle for so many years to come that extra waiting period and moolah makes sense.
I however am still waiting for someone to corroborate the view of AWD scoring over the A /T.
We booked our car on the 7th of March (Sivaratri) and were given a minimum waiting period of 1 to 1 1/2 months.

However the car was on its way to us by 17 March and reached Trivandrum TVS by 23rd or so. We took delivery on 1st April, the delay coming about because of easter holidays and lack of time on our side.

So I would say from our experience that you can count on getting the car in 3-4 weeks.
pillainp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 13:36   #203
BHPian

Quote:
We booked our car on the 7th of March (Sivaratri) and were given a minimum waiting period of 1 to 1 1/2 months.

However the car was on its way to us by 17 March and reached Trivandrum TVS by 23rd or so. We took delivery on 1st April, the delay coming about because of easter holidays and lack of time on our side.

So I would say from our experience that you can count on getting the car in 3-4 weeks.

Yup I'm sure the dealership will keep few days in hand for delivery. How much was it in the end on road and have you put in any accessories.
Also what is the city / highway milage that you get.
In Mumbai on road price for the top end AWD AT is 2216501/-
The top end with awd comes in at 2110365/-
Any additional maintenance for the A/T that you know of. Appreciate all the help.
Old 25th April 2016, 14:09   #204
BHPian

On the road our car came to 21.13L. We managed to get the car at pre-budget prices which Mahindra did by giving us a discount of approximately 53K from ~21.6L.
We added the following accessories:
1. Premium sidestep with bracket - 14.5K
2. Rain visors - 2.5K
3. Car Cover - 2.5K
4. Teflon and underbody treatment - 5K
For about 28.5K total in accessories.
Final on road after accessories was 21.42L.
I wanted the HUD but sadly it was out of stock and Mahindra had stopped offering that particular model (OBD based) and is now offering a GPS based unit. So I bought one off ebay for 5140 (A8 car HUD) but have not had the time to fit it yet.

Last edited by pillainp : 25th April 2016 at 14:12.
Old 25th April 2016, 14:30   #205
BHPian

Quote:
On the road our car came to 21.13L. We managed to get the car at pre-budget prices which Mahindra did by giving us a discount of approximately 53K from ~21.6L.
2. Rain visors - 2.5K
3. Car Cover - 2.5K
I wanted the HUD but sadly it was out of stock and Mahindra had stopped offering that particular model (OBD based) and is now offering a GPS based unit. So I bought one off ebay for 5140 (A8 car HUD) but have not had the time to fit it yet.

Wow it's great you could get the cheetah at those prices. Just seeing how much the prices have increased in just a few days. Do put up pics of the cheetah with all the accessories which I must say are perfectly chosen by you.
Old 25th April 2016, 16:16   #206
BHPian

Quote:
2. Rain visors - 2.5K
3. Car Cover - 2.5K
Revisiting the HUD topic again, I was about to purchase it and remember you stating that you'd be a partner in crime

Request you to please state the benefits one would realise between GPS-based and OBD.

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th April 2016, 17:19   #207
BHPian

@jacobvarughese:

To my knowledge, a GPS based HUD can only report vehicle speed and position as computed from available GPS data. That means if you have a sub-optimal number of above the horizon (visible) satellites, the reliability will degrade sharply. The more satellites the unit can fix, the more accurate the computation.

Plus there will always be a lag (varying with the satellite counts) between the actual and reported speed, especially if you make rapid changes.

This is also true of GPS map devices/navigators.

The OBD HUD on the other hand has the advantage that it reports all vehicle data that it supports that can be accessed via the OBD port itself, meaning data reported by the vehicle such as temp, speed, rpm, etc. That means a very low margin for error. What the car reports is what you (within the error limits) will get displayed by the HUD.

Basing the above on my limited knowledge. Experts may please clarify further.

Now if only someone would combine a GPS and OBD HUD in one unit, that would IMHO be the best of both worlds.

@vinitbhavi:

The last accessory that we got was the 3d premium (?) Floor mats offered on the accessory list. I forgot to mention them above.

These are pretty decent and have an ABS plastic heel plate which will hopefully prevent undue and early wear. They cost approx. 3.5K if I remember correctly.

Last edited by pillainp : 25th April 2016 at 17:23.
pillainp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2016, 19:49   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

For I phone fans. Got this mail from M&M couple of days back.
Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review-screenshot_20160425194536506.jpeg
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 10:37   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
For I phone fans. Got this mail from M&M couple of days back.
Attachment 1500643
Thanks- unsure if you read my previous threads where I had got the app installed on my iPhone (circa 2 -3 weeks ago).
jacobvarughese is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 16:02   #210
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-G View Post
Kottayam - Kumili - Cumbum (Slightly Ghat section) 14 to 15 KMPL
Cumbum - Bangalore 16 KMPL
Bangalore City 12 to 13 KMPL
Kottayam town 10 KMPL
Kottayam - Kanyakumari 15 KMPL

Highways (normal driving) 16 KMPL
Highways (aggressive) 12-14 KMPL
Have you measured these using the tankful method ?
Frankly these numbers seem significantly on the higher side (especially the "Within Bangalore city" mileage) as compared to what most others have reported.

May be you have prior experience with AT vehicles and know how to get the maximum mileage out of them. Kindly share some tips. Would help a lot of people here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks