Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2016, 00:51   #271
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledBratt View Post
Could someone explain the term 'engine braking' technically, though I understand the term in layman's language? When you say you thought of using engine braking do you mean that you achieve it by keeping your car in a lower gear?
Engine braking is when you use the engine for limiting speed of the vehicle.

Each gear has a maximum speed that it can achieve.

So when you are going downhill for example, keeping the vehicle in 2nd gear without acceleration input, the car will accelerate downhill on its own but the speed will be limited to the the range for 2nd gear (i.e 15-20 kph). This in turn helps you increase the life of your brakes, and also provides a better control of the vehicle.

Engine braking can also be used when you are in an emergency situation (i.e. brake failure). In this scenario you release the accelerator and let the speed of the vehicle decrease on its own and as the speed decreases you down shift the gears till the vehicle comes to a halt.
falconion is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2016, 23:41   #272
Senior - BHPian

I spotted 5 XUV 500 W10 Automatic in a day! 3 of them being in the sunset orange colour. Is there any number out to how many Automatic's have been sold yet? Also have started to see a lot of Sunset orange XUV's, Much more than when the New age was launched, Maybe the colour did finally started growing on the public.
Old 4th June 2016, 06:22   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconion View Post
So when you are going downhill for example, keeping the vehicle in 2nd gear without acceleration input, the car will accelerate downhill on its own but the speed will be limited to the the range for 2nd gear (i.e 15-20 kph). This in turn helps you increase the life of your brakes, and also provides a better control of the vehicle.
Doesn't this harm the engine if one runs it for a longer time? Say a downhill drive of about 10 hrs.
Old 4th June 2016, 08:01   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkarvind View Post
I have recently become a happy owner of a W10 AT. Just completed a 2200 km trip to Kerala (Trivandrum, Pathanamthitta areas) from Bangalore. Some feedback from my drive.

1. The AT was excellent experience. Timely gearshifts, overtaking was a breeze, didn't go over 120 as the 5k service is still 1K away.

2. Mileage as shown on MID was 14kmpl. The best I saw was 15 and the worst was 11. I have not done any tankful - tankful calculation yet.

3. Comfort during the journey was excellent as shared by the family. Didnt feel tired at all after a 750km drive. For the kids, I have got the MMI Headrest monitor installed and it came handy for the long journeys with their favorite movies playing.

4. I had some worries for climbing ghats as well as the steep landscapes in some parts of Trivandrum but the AT put all of those at rest with no issues at all. Though I would look forward to see how it climbs the Ooty hairpins some time in future.

5. The best part was the highway drive, with the clutch-less transmission and cruise control, I had both my feet free and stretched out and simply had to manage the steering. It was super relaxing. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...s/Clapping.gif
Congratulations on your car. Great to know that you are getting 15kmpl, the best I could get during my chennai drive is 12.6 kmpl, but then I drive upwards of 120 kmph. Yes the drive is effortless and the AT holds up really well. Nothing to complain. The revs are always around 2000 rpm
Old 7th June 2016, 02:23   #275

Hello Everyone, I have been following this thread from quite some time now, and now that my membership is approved, thanks to the Team-BHP admin, I can participate in it as well.

I have made up my mind to upgrade from my wonderful Fiat Linea to XUV500 W10 AT and most probably with AWD. I was quite impressed with this wonderful machine when the manual one was launched in this current avatar, especially the W10 variant, but I wanted the AT one and after sometime, they launched it. This amazingly detailed review helped me finalize my decision to get one.
Though, I was slightly disappointed when the W10 AT missed out on the Start/Stop button, Smart Key and Keyless entry. I was casually checking the Mahindra XUV500's official website today and when I downloaded the updated brochure(now they have a common brochure for MT and AT, earlier they had seperate ones) and I noticed that they have introduced Smart Key, Start/Stop button on the W10 AT version as well, I ecstatically called up the Sales Executive to confirm the same at the local Jalandhar dealership but he had no info regarding this upgrade, he further told me they do have an AT W10 in stock and it doesn't have the keyless entry and they must have been erroneously added these features in the brochure since they have received no intimation so far. I highly doubt though.
It would be great if someone could confirm if they have actually added these features in the AT variant, if yes, it further strengthen its complete package characteristic. I am attaching a screenshot and here is the link to the updated brochure: http://www.mahindraxuv500.com/pdf/sp...0india_new.pdf
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review-image.png  

sehgalanurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 10:38   #276
BHPian

Interestingly W8 and W10 MT has smart key, but for AT, only W10 has it as per specs.

I am not sure it is correct.

I just talked to local dealer, he is not aware of such change. I have asked him to find out anyway.

I am currently evaluating XUV, Innova and possibly Tuscon.

Last edited by niv26 : 7th June 2016 at 10:40.
Old 7th June 2016, 10:59   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehgalanurag View Post
It would be great if someone could confirm if they have actually added these features in the AT variant, if yes, it further strengthen its complete package characteristic. I am attaching a screenshot and here is the link to the updated brochure: http://www.mahindraxuv500.com/pdf/sp...0india_new.pdf
Thanks
I would recommend you dropping an email to Mahindra customer care and clear the clouds rather waiting for the SA to confirm. Info from Mahindra would be more authentic than the dealer anyday
Old 7th June 2016, 12:14   #278

I just called the Mahindra Customer Care and they have confirmed that W10 AT now have Start/Stop Button, Keyless Entry with Smart Key. It is good news for those who are looking forward to buy it, those who already bought it might be a little disappointed now.

Another thing is that they have increased the price w.e.f 1st June 2016. Since I would be buying the W10 AT AWD, it's price was 18.12 earlier, now it is 18.48 ex showroom Jalandhar. So there is an increase of 36K for this variant, I am not sure if the increase is for the W10 AT only due to the addition of these features or other variants too are now more expensive.
After Innova Crysta's launch, Mahindra might have thought to add these features in this variant and they finally did, which is a very welcome move
sehgalanurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 13:09   #279
BHPian

I wonder if they will offer a retrofit for W10 AT'S that don't have the auto start function.

I would buy it for sure.
Old 7th June 2016, 15:30   #280
BHPian

36K is just for smart key ? are there any other changes.

Is price increase applicable for all the variants ? or just W10/AT.

The Hyderabad local dealer still says he has no information.
Old 7th June 2016, 18:13   #281
BHPian

Would the swach bharat cess and Krishi kalyan cess be applicable here? That might explain the price rise.
Old 7th June 2016, 19:43   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
I wonder if they will offer a retrofit for W10 AT'S that don't have the auto start function.

I would buy it for sure.
Hello Sir, there are some cheap retrofit Start/Stop Buttons available that can be ordered online as well and are very easy to install, but they will void the warranty for sure, but since they are easy to install, even Mahindra should be able to install them, but not sure if they will provide this upgrade to existing AT Customers now, at some point they certainly should.

Also, you are the only person I know who owns a W10 AT+AWD, just wanted to let you know that I am a fan of your PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niv26 View Post
36K is just for smart key ? are there any other changes.

Is price increase applicable for all the variants ? or just W10/AT.

The Hyderabad local dealer still says he has no information.
There are no other changes except the addition of these features, I think they might have increased the price for all the variants and more so for the W10 AT/AWD, someone who might be keeping a track of some other variant's price might help in this case.

I called up at Mahindra CC at 1800-266-7000, local dealer had no clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Would the swach bharat cess and Krishi kalyan cess be applicable here? That might explain the price rise.
These two are applicable as cess on Service Tax only, but while buying a new car we only pay Excise, VAT and Road Tax. Increase in input costs plus addition of new features is most probably the reason for increased prices.
sehgalanurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 22:55   #283

There was one old XUV500 brochure stored somewhere in my phone and there are lots of changes in other variants too, couldn't find any Mahindra press release but following are some of the changes in W6 and W8 variants in MT and AT.
W6 now gets the 7" touchscreen infotainment system that supports the Blue Sense App, tilt steering, e-manual, power foldable ORVMs and Illuminated key ring.

W8 now gets the ORVM logo projection, Voice Messaging System and the *Start/Stop button, Keyless Entry with smart key(*in W8 MT only)

These additions are certainly being made to counter the Innova Crysta, especially it's cheaper variants.
Old 8th June 2016, 11:59   #284
BHPian

I have also called 1800-266-7000, they confirmed that smart key on W10/AT, but dealer still has no clue.
I have asked CS to enlighten local dealers with the same info. Let's see.
Old 8th June 2016, 17:54   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehgalanurag View Post
I noticed that they have introduced Smart Key, Start/Stop button on the W10 AT version as well,
Good spot sehgalanurag. This makes the AT version more appealing. While adding the Smart Key / Start Stop button, they have skipped the Brake Energy Regeneration and Micro-Hybrid from the equivalent MT version. The 36K increase could also be due to the increase in TCS, perhaps a closer look at a price list prior to June 1st and across variants will help clarify.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks