Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2016, 19:45   #256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
Thank you for your valuable feedback, my requirement is 90% city and 10% outstation. This is one of the primary reasons to choose the automatic. I plan to take a test drive ths weekend and if it ticks all the boxes, which i think it would then I may settle for this and not wait for the Nexon.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Yes, If its 90% in the city you should opt for the automatic, You'll have great convenience, Nexon is still some time away, All the best for the test drive, Let us know how you sound the Auto box.

Absolutely agree with tanveer out there where convenience is concerned. But we both agree and I can't stress enough MT is a breeze in daily traffic conditions as well. Now I did say I would use the Grand i10 for city driving. But to tell you the truth it's the cheetah that beckons in its manual avatar in city drive as well.
Old 21st May 2016, 01:02   #257
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review

Hi all,

If tghere are any XUV500 AWD owners in Trivandrum, can we get together for an off-roading session sometime?

I have tried off-road at the road works near Kovalam, but that is hardly worth the effort, being just a little mud.

I nee some company to do a little serious off-road running.
Old 22nd May 2016, 09:26   #258
BHPian

The first tankful, a mix of highway and city drive, for W6 At returned 10.88 calculated tankful to tankful and 12 according to the MID. Hopefully it will improve.

The gear shift is very predictable. There is no rev build up except for first gear. The shift from first gear to second gear could have been smooth.

If driven on a light foot, there is enough power and predictable shift. Kickdown is not necessary. It did however kicked down twice.

The manual recommends avoiding kickdown for longer life. It also suggests to wait for 2-3 seconds after slotting into D or R and before pressing the accelerator.

Compared to the new gen W4 manual that I exchanged.

1. Dimensions feel slightly wider. It seems a difficult fit in the tight apartment slot. However, officially it is same.

2. In 6th gear it used to drive 120 kmph at about 2400 rpm. This car drives at 120 kmph at about 2000 rpm.

3. AT is very very silent compared to the manual. Except first gear, engine noise is hardly noticeable.

4. Pull in the manual as better.

5. Noise and rev build up in the first gear is irritating.

6. There were some issues with the wheel balancing. It was promptly attended by the service center.

7. The AT is opening up. The shift is becoming smoother as kms pile up.

The manual also recommends 1000 km run-in period.
sumannandy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 17:07   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Today was the delivery date for XUV 500 W6 AT. Enjoying the car.

AT is smooth and does not build up rev like some other cars.

Congratulations on your new purchase!
Can you post a few pics of your W6 AT including interior pics. It will greatly benefit others to decide and compare it against W8 or W10.
Old 24th May 2016, 21:56   #260
BHPian

So the purple monster went for her (my daughter insists PM is a she) first 5000 KM service today.

I had arranged to drive her down to the TVS Mahindra Service Centre at Karamana myself, but had to ask for a pick-up at the last moment due to unavoidable work pressure (not work work but chores like picking up my daughter's school books, etc.). The service centre readily arranged a driver even at such short notice, with the warning that he might be late arriving to pick up the car, but I was OK with that. In the end, he came by just after 10AM, so service was not delayed. Very good on TVS's part.

I had planned to spend the whole day watching PM going through her first service, but the aforementioned chores ate up my whole day, so that I could only reach the MASS after 4:30PM, by which time all was over but the shouting, the car having been given its final wash, and the rain starting up on cue.

Anyway, I met the Service Advisor Mr. Samuel, who took me to see the freshly bathed PM, and there I met Mr. Krishnanand, the Service Team Lead for PM. A very pleasant young man, who then took us on our post-service test drive.

I put the pedal to the metal to check the clutch-judder from startup and the high speed vibration I had reported, and they appear to have been fixed. The doorshave been tightened, and Krishnanand is of the opinion that there may have been some slight air leakage through the beading at high speeds, causing the sound (it used to sound exactly like what you would hear if you were driving quickly with the rear windows slightly open).

I asked him about the rattle I kept hearing when the doors were closed, and he reported that he had heard nothing of the sort, a typical gremlin. But he was kind enough to humour me, and when we opened and closed the doors several times, we managed to elicit it at last. Krishnanand immediately took me and PM back to the service floor, where he had a guy from his team get under the car while we tried to elicit the sound.

It turned out that the rattle was being caused by a slightly loose fuel tank shield, which was rubbing intermittently against the body work, causing the rattle and squeak.

That too was therefore fixed to my satisfaction.

The car now feels much more refined than before service, and I think the oil change and some tuning may have contributed. Anyway, I am happy with the result.

However, just so that I do not end up being too pleased with myself, PM has decided that her tumble seat (left-most seat in 2nd row for access to 3rd row) will not tumble, so I will be taking her back to get that fixed tomorrow. Should be a 5 minute job. Funny thing is it worked perfectly at the MASS, when we had to remove the mats to dry them, but became pernickety when I reached home.

All else seems to be right as rain (shich with my luck will pour over the next few days).

All in all, I am pretty much satisfied with the care and attention to detail manifested by the MASS team, and their approach to the customer.

I remember swearing to myself never to buy another car from TVS after our absolutely horrendous experience purchasing a Premier Padmini 137D from them during the '90s.

Now I think I will happily purchase from them again or recommend them to a friend, at least for Mahindra vehicles. Again speaks volumes for the pro-active and customer-centric attitude adopted by the new Mahindra.

I am posting up the 1st service bill, which came to a total of Rs. 2,239/- all told.

Also of note is the fact that the service details were updated in the WIth You Hamesha app within one hour of my leaving the MASS with purple monster in the evening.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review-img_20160524_0001-custom.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review-g6c18794_5k_24may2016_wyhameshaapp-copy.png  

pillainp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 00:01   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post

I put the pedal to the metal to check the clutch-judder from startup and the high speed vibration I had reported

Any idea what was done to resolve the clutch judder?
Old 25th May 2016, 10:23   #262
BHPian

No idea if they actually did anything.

However the judder has been absent so far after service.

Will watch for it again and see how it goes.
Old 25th May 2016, 11:53   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Today was the delivery date for XUV 500 W6 AT. Enjoying the car.

AT is smooth and does not build up rev like some other cars.
Does W6 AT have hill hold, ESP while W6 MT doesn't have. Thanks in advance.
Old 25th May 2016, 12:09   #264
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post

Here is the screen shot from Mahindra XUV 5OO website comparing models:

Name:  ForumRunner_20160525_120856.png
Views: 4234
Size:  80.5 KB
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 22:47   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
XUV W6 AT has hill hold, ESP, hill descent among other features.

Drove 1200+ kms in one week, including a trip to OOTY. The car climbed 36 hairpin bend in 1st gear, only when I switched to manual mode, it climbed the ghats in 2nd gear. I was careful to maintain around 2000 rpm.

After the car learnt the driving dynamics now it is a breeze to drive, be it plain or even in the hills.
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 13:04   #266

I have recently become a happy owner of a W10 AT. Just completed a 2200 km trip to Kerala (Trivandrum, Pathanamthitta areas) from Bangalore. Some feedback from my drive.

1. The AT was excellent experience. Timely gearshifts, overtaking was a breeze, didn't go over 120 as the 5k service is still 1K away.

2. Mileage as shown on MID was 14kmpl. The best I saw was 15 and the worst was 11. I have not done any tankful - tankful calculation yet.

3. Comfort during the journey was excellent as shared by the family. Didnt feel tired at all after a 750km drive. For the kids, I have got the MMI Headrest monitor installed and it came handy for the long journeys with their favorite movies playing.

4. I had some worries for climbing ghats as well as the steep landscapes in some parts of Trivandrum but the AT put all of those at rest with no issues at all. Though I would look forward to see how it climbs the Ooty hairpins some time in future.

5. The best part was the highway drive, with the clutch-less transmission and cruise control, I had both my feet free and stretched out and simply had to manage the steering. It was super relaxing. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...s/Clapping.gif
dpkarvind is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 15:12   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkarvind View Post

4. I had some worries for climbing ghats as well as the steep landscapes in some parts of Trivandrum but the AT put all of those at rest with no issues at all. Though I would look forward to see how it climbs the Ooty hairpins some time in future.
Have no worry at all. It is right car for gradients. Torque Converters are best form of AT for ghats/gradients. DSG/AMT jerks while CVTs have rubber band effect. You will be surprised to see your XUV AT performing better than manual XUV on gradients.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2016, 17:59   #268
BHPian

Any idea if AT available in Delhi NCR? I read somewhere that AT its equipped with 2.2L engine and does not come in 1.99L and hence cannot be registered in Delhi NCR. But when i went for a TD, SA at Sai Durga Motinagar Delhi told me it is being worked upon and if I made a booking I will get the delivery in Delhi in 4-6 weeks.
Old 2nd June 2016, 06:34   #269
BHPian

I recently drove my XUV AT to OOTY, twice through the hairpin bends. Here is my experience.

Since the car is still less than 2500 kms, I tried to keep the rev below 2200 rpm. XUV AT sticks to 1st gear in D mode for the climb.

I switched to manual mode. Here was an interesting observation. I could climb the hairpin bends in 2nd gear with rpm around 2000 rpm. But when I shift to 3, sometimes it does that only after required speed is attained. However, sometimes, the gearshift indicator shows 3, but internally you feel it is still in 2 and after sometimes internally it shifts to higher gear although entire time the indicator shows 3.

Is this normal?

While getting down through the same hairpin, I shifted to manual mode with 1st gear and it worked well. Manual mode 2nd gear is too much speed for the AT.

The mileage is around 11kmpl which I thought was pretty good.

Inside OOTY, I tried the Hill Descent control. Basically it applies brake and maintains the speed and monitors the brake disc temperature. While getting down through the ghat I thought using engine braking was a better option than using HDC, hence did not use HDC.

Last edited by sumannandy : 2nd June 2016 at 06:37.
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 08:27   #270
BHPian

Quote:

Inside OOTY, I tried the Hill Descent control. Basically it applies brake and maintains the speed and monitors the brake disc temperature. While getting down through the ghat I thought using engine braking was a better option than using HDC, hence did not use HDC.
Could someone explain the term 'engine braking' technically, though I understand the term in layman's language? When you say you thought of using engine braking do you mean that you achieve it by keeping your car in a lower gear?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks