Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2016, 16:56   #211
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Have you measured these using the tankful method ?
Frankly these numbers seem significantly on the higher side (especially the "Within Bangalore city" mileage) as compared to what most others have reported.

May be you have prior experience with AT vehicles and know how to get the maximum mileage out of them. Kindly share some tips. Would help a lot of people here.
Well yes I do have prior experience with AT both saloon cars and SUV, hence I have mentioned the aggressive and normal driving (especially on the highways but surely matters in the b2b traffic as well)

Now tips, yes we need to be soft on the throttle (most of the time in Bangalore you won't need to even use the accelerator, as you only need to release the breaks and the vehicle moves).

Also when you throttle, unless you are on a racing (aggressive) mode, you just need to listen to the engine rev and move on (at times, it's better to ease the pressure a bit and continue when you feel that the gear hasn't moved up rather than continuing to press on the accelerator)

Last, relax and drive (like on the old Enfield Bullets) and enjoy every bit of it.
hope that helps.
Jo-G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 20:56   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-G View Post
I have been driving it (My silver streak - W10 FWD Automatic) around for a month now with 3 trips between Kottayam (Kerala) and Bangalore, and one trip from Kottayam - Kanyakumari - Bangalore. The mileage figures as below.
====
No complaints from anyone any time during the trip. (not sure if that was due to their excitement, especially the 3rd row occupants)

Can you please let me know if this is calculated based on full tank to tank method? Also are you are seeing the similar or same numbers on the infotainment display also?

I have not done a full tank to full tank method yet. For my beast, I see average fuel consumption between 11 and 13 based on the traffic/terrain/driving on the infotainment system. Hence wanted to know if i can expect the same number if i do a full tank method.

Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 21:49   #213
BHPian

With the BR-V CVT launch around the corner and Creta AT now available in Petrol and the cheaper S+ diesel variants, will Mahindra offer the AT option on the lower W4 , W6 variants?? I personally feel they should offer it and it can definitely get Mahindra more numbers. XUV is uniquely placed in a price range where it can compete with the below compact SUV segment and at the same time the higher SUV segment too. Unless Mahindra feels they want to maintain the exclusivity of XUV500 AT as a premium SUV by offering it only on the top variants, I see no other reason why they shouldn't.

Last edited by samabhi : 26th April 2016 at 21:55.
samabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 17:57   #214
BHPian

Hi everyone.I have a W8 FWD november 2013 XUV 500. I have driven it for 52000 kms and its been a blissful close to three years with it without any hassles or unnecessary trips to the service center.
However of late, the ever increasing traffic and bad road conditions in amritsar started taking toll on my left foot and leg as i drive close to 60-70 kms a day with 70% of it in peak traffic. Hence i started looking for an Automatic to replace my loved vehicle. The choices started from 13 lakhs and went upto 24 lakhs on road. Saw a number of vehicles.

1) Honda city VX CVT: This was the first car i saw as it was the cheapest and heard good reviews of it on the forum. I went to the showroom 3 weeks back and till date i could not have a test drive. Thats it for the honda attitude and sales. Also the plastic quality, thin windows, flexing of door plastic left a bad taste.

2) Vento TDI DSG: This was one car that i truly wanted to test drive and i loved it. The interiors were very well put together although too simple and basic if one could pin point deficiencies. The engine and AT was just awesome though. However what sealed the decision against it was the cramped rear seat, huge transmission tunnel and the lack of features i.e. sun roof. keyless entry, push button start, navigation, rev camera etc.. My daughter was hell bent on sun roof once she saw it in the cruze.

3) Elantra SX CRDI AT: The new one was not available in the showroom. The owner had the old version and saw it. the interiors were just awesome. the drive was nice and relaxed as you would expect with it. However the lack of seating comfort for the middle third person on the back seat was a major point against it as we wanted a vehicle which could seat three in relative comfort in the back seat (spoilt by XUV).

4) Cruze LTZ AT: This was the car that everyone in the house loved. My daughter saw the sunroof first in this car and was so excited that our search got shortlisted to cars only with this feature in the end. I too loved the car as a whole and the drive too. It was real fun driving the car on open roads and also effortless in the city. But ultimately the very very poor resale of Chevrolet cars in Amritsar and the cramped back seat went against it.

5) Jetta Highline AT TDI: This was the second car that i saw and it was love at first sight literally. I read the official review on Team BHP and various ownership reviews and loved it even more. Test drove it twice and negotiated for on road price of Rs 22 lakhs with extended warranty. Tried hard to convince everyone in the house for it but wife said, Are you nuts? 22 lakhs for a car that does not have sunroof, keyless entry, navigation, rev camera and again not so comfortable middle back seat. Go ahead if you want to. Dont ask me. And that was curtains for jetta. Decided with a heavy heart to let it go. Wake up VW and start providing these luxurious features at this price at least.

Well, after all this we were left with only one choice in this price range: XUV again so decided to go for XUV w10 AT FWD. Booked it and most probably will be getting the delivery tomorrow. Sold the old car for 9.5 lakhs which i guess was a fair price.
Got 10000 discount on the new one and additional 17000 discount on bargaining further.
Eagerly awaiting for the new toy which would give the much needed rest to my left leg and foot
manasmadaan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 18:56   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
Hi everyone.I have a W8 FWD november 2013 XUV 500. I have driven it for 52000 kms and its been a blissful close to three years with it without any hassles or unnecessary trips to the service center.
However of late, the ever increasing traffic and bad road conditions in amritsar started taking toll on my left foot and leg as i drive close to 60-70 kms a day with 70% of it in peak traffic. Hence i started looking for an Automatic to replace my loved vehicle. The choices started from 13 lakhs and went upto 24 lakhs on road. Saw a number of vehicles.

1) Honda city VX CVT: This was the first car i saw as it was the cheapest and heard good reviews of it on the forum. I went to the showroom 3 weeks back and till date i could not have a test drive. Thats it for the honda attitude and sales. Also the plastic quality, thin windows, flexing of door plastic left a bad taste.

2) Vento TDI DSG: This was one car that i truly wanted to test drive and i loved it. The interiors were very well put together although too simple and basic if one could pin point deficiencies. The engine and AT was just awesome though. However what sealed the decision against it was the cramped rear seat, huge transmission tunnel and the lack of features i.e. sun roof. keyless entry, push button start, navigation, rev camera etc.. My daughter was hell bent on sun roof once she saw it in the cruze.

3) Elantra SX CRDI AT: The new one was not available in the showroom. The owner had the old version and saw it. the interiors were just awesome. the drive was nice and relaxed as you would expect with it. However the lack of seating comfort for the middle third person on the back seat was a major point against it as we wanted a vehicle which could seat three in relative comfort in the back seat (spoilt by XUV).

4) Cruze LTZ AT: This was the car that everyone in the house loved. My daughter saw the sunroof first in this car and was so excited that our search got shortlisted to cars only with this feature in the end. I too loved the car as a whole and the drive too. It was real fun driving the car on open roads and also effortless in the city. But ultimately the very very poor resale of Chevrolet cars in Amritsar and the cramped back seat went against it.

5) Jetta Highline AT TDI: This was the second car that i saw and it was love at first sight literally. I read the official review on Team BHP and various ownership reviews and loved it even more. Test drove it twice and negotiated for on road price of Rs 22 lakhs with extended warranty. Tried hard to convince everyone in the house for it but wife said, Are you nuts? 22 lakhs for a car that does not have sunroof, keyless entry, navigation, rev camera and again not so comfortable middle back seat. Go ahead if you want to. Dont ask me. And that was curtains for jetta. Decided with a heavy heart to let it go. Wake up VW and start providing these luxurious features at this price at least.

Well, after all this we were left with only one choice in this price range: XUV again so decided to go for XUV w10 AT FWD. Booked it and most probably will be getting the delivery tomorrow. Sold the old car for 9.5 lakhs which i guess was a fair price.
Got 10000 discount on the new one and additional 17000 discount on bargaining further.
Eagerly awaiting for the new toy which would give the much needed rest to my left leg and foot
Many Congratulations, and it was indeed a wise decision. Something similar happened when I was shopping as I transitioned myself from a 2010 BMW 320d Corporate Edition to the XUV 500 ! Man, I was smitten by it's array of features as opposed to the Bimmer with price also being a major driving factor.

That being said, happy munching miles ! Do post the choicest pictures as well.
jacobvarughese is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 20:02   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
Many Congratulations, and it was indeed a wise decision. Something similar happened when I was shopping as I transitioned myself from a 2010 BMW 320d Corporate Edition to the XUV 500 ! Man, I was smitten by it's array of features as opposed to the Bimmer with price also being a major driving factor.

That being said, happy munching miles ! Do post the choicest pictures as well.
You are absolutely right. The price, space and features all add up to a very attaractive proposition and add to it the convinience of AT
Old 29th April 2016, 20:01   #217
BHPian

Finally got my XUV 5OO FWD W10 AT today and now i can say good bye to my left leg and foot aches
Old 29th April 2016, 22:06   #218
BHPian

@manasmadaan:

Let me be the first to welcome you to the family. Enjoy the many happy miles ahead.

We had our first longish drive yesterday, from Trivandrum to Ernakulam and back.

The purple monster lived up to my every expectation and gave us an absolutely wonderful trip, the only headache being the horrendous traffic on the narrower stretches of NH47.
pillainp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 22:42   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
Finally got my XUV 5OO FWD W10 AT today and now i can say good bye to my left leg and foot aches

Hi,

Congrats. I've also got mine W8 AT today. Its Sunset Orange.

Had a long drive back home , but really not able to enjoy the drive as its very sober and now probably feeling I should have bought a manual one !

I have to wait for more time and see how it performs.

Will keep things posted.
mjkaushal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 23:44   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
@manasmadaan:

Let me be the first to welcome you to the family. Enjoy the many happy miles ahead.

We had our first longish drive yesterday, from Trivandrum to Ernakulam and back.

The purple monster lived up to my every expectation and gave us an absolutely wonderful trip, the only headache being the horrendous traffic on the narrower stretches of NH47.
Thanks. i too had a horrendous trip back home from the showroom. 5 kms covered in 1.5 hrs. Can imagine the traffic
Old 29th April 2016, 23:46   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkaushal View Post
Hi,

Congrats. I've also got mine W8 AT today. Its Sunset Orange.

Had a long drive back home , but really not able to enjoy the drive as its very sober and now probably feeling I should have bought a manual one !

I have to wait for more time and see how it performs.

Will keep things posted.
Congratulations to you too
Yes, It will not be as enjoyable as manual one but believe me it will definitely destress you while driving as i discovered today
Old 29th April 2016, 23:55   #222
BHPian

Finally some pictures of the car
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review-img_1618.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review-img_1596-2.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review-img_1597.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review-img_1615.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review-img_1616.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review-img_1617.jpg  

manasmadaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2016, 00:31   #223
BHPian

See now this is the problem with the XUV.

I have the Opulent Purple, which is acknowledged by many to be a beautiful colour. But one of you guys buys a white one or see it on the road and I think, my god that's beautiful I should have bought white. Or I see an Orange one and I think that looks great, I should have bought that.

The only colour I don't see much of is the red.

Every colour of the cheetah winds up looking better than the others. Creates a lot of envy.

And for all those AT guys who second-guess themselves thinking maybe they should have bought an MT, think again.

Let the cheetah run in for a while and get a feel for you, and it will surprise the heck out of you and a lot of other guys on the road with its pulling power and agility.

For its size, it pulls like a thoroughbred and handles like one too. I have left a lot of people standing at the lights with their jaw dropping.

Last edited by pillainp : 30th April 2016 at 00:39.
pillainp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2016, 07:53   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
See now this is the problem with the XUV.

I have the Opulent Purple, which is acknowledged by many to be a beautiful colour. But one of you guys buys a white one or see it on the road and I think, my god that's beautiful I should have bought white. Or I see an Orange one and I think that looks great, I should have bought that.

The only colour I don't see much of is the red.

Every colour of the cheetah winds up looking better than the others. Creates a lot of envy.

And for all those AT guys who second-guess themselves thinking maybe they should have bought an MT, think again.

Let the cheetah run in for a while and get a feel for you, and it will surprise the heck out of you and a lot of other guys on the road with its pulling power and agility.

For its size, it pulls like a thoroughbred and handles like one too. I have left a lot of people standing at the lights with their jaw dropping.
You are absolutely right about the colour options in XUV. I too previously had opulent purple and it looked smashing when clean but was also very difficult to maintain the shine on it over a long period. Thats why opted for a conservative colour this time
And yes i Have read the reviews about how good the AT gearbox and Engine combination is for XUV but will be able to comment on it only after i have driven it for a while
Old 30th April 2016, 22:46   #225
BHPian

I have had the Chevrolet Captiva LTZ since November 2010. Its a AWD automatic. I have logged 86000 kms since then , including drives to Mumbai and several trips to Hyderabad, Chennai , Coonoor etc. Its a great car and I have had no problems with it. I must also mention that the car is till riding on OE tyres and has some more life in it.

Considering GM's lack of commitment to the Indian market (my perception ) and the indifferent dealer service experience, I am planning to change my car. Apart from the expensive spares, I am not sure of availability of spare parts down the road .

The replacement car has to be an Diesel SUV crossover AT , and preferaby AWD . Since I am alone in the car most of the time, I was planning a smaller vehicle and the Hyundai Creta seems a ideal fit. However the XUV 500 AT is very tempting and the reviews seems great too . To my surprise I found that the XUV is actually a tad smaller than the Captiva in length . Besides, this is the only one which is fully loaded. Retractable rear view mirrors , a good MID etc are some of the features i need.

My dilemma is should I go in for one of these 2 options or should I continue with the Captiva for some more time. There is no need to change as far as the car itself is concerned.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks