Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2016, 15:29   #241
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
Firstly, thank you for such a super quick reply. And many congratulations to you too for the purchase.
The doubts regarding AWD cropped in my mind mainly because it is an AT and how will be the pick up going upwards on a steep road. We have a little steep road going upwards on the way to office. Will the AT have enough power to take the route.

Thank you for the quick response!

Yes, that is the reason we went for the FWD. I had just a couple of doubts whether the AT has enough power in it take on a steep road as this will be our first AT vehicle.
You will be pleasantly surprised to find that AT variant of any car performs better than MT variant of same car in going up the gradients. I had A-Star AT which literally flew up gradients, much to everyone's surprise (we were packed 5 AND with aircon on) compared to MT A-Star. Experts can explain the physics involved.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 17:12   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
You will be pleasantly surprised to find that AT variant of any car performs better than MT variant of same car in going up the gradients. I had A-Star AT which literally flew up gradients, much to everyone's surprise (we were packed 5 AND with aircon on) compared to MT A-Star. Experts can explain the physics involved.
Well that is good really know. I am not an expert so needed the advise.I am glad this mental block is getting cleared now. Thank you!
Old 12th May 2016, 22:22   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I am no expert, But isn't driving a MT on gradients mainly depend on whats your current gear, Current speed and your judgement? I have driven several MT cars over gradients including the XUV and i never had a issue even if the car was under full load, Sure it depends from road to road and car to car but i could always climb such roads without a fuss, Smoothly without the engine lugging.

Is it actually true that the AT performs better over gradients?
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 22:31   #244
BHPian

I have a few twisty and steep segments of pretty narrow road on my way to the office.

When I was driving the Vento MT TDI HL, I never ever had a problem with the car refusing to climb, either (mostly because of the monster torque). Thanks to this I could do large segments of this drive without ever touching the gear lever just by leaving the car in 3rd.

What I did have a problem with was the constant gear changing on those parts I could not manage as above, and when I met oncoming traffic on this narow one-lane oad.

With the Polo GT TSI, and now the XUV500 AT, driving this segment of road has indeed become much easier, but largely because all the gear changing is done by the car itself. No more changing down to enter the curve and then up again to exit, and then down once more a few meters on. Immense relief for the left leg.

This is probably one of the reasons for the perception that AT's can climb better than MT's even though all else being equal, the AT will actually lose a little more power in transmission than the MT.
pillainp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 04:00   #245
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
This is probably one of the reasons for the perception that AT's can climb better than MT's even though all else being equal, the AT will actually lose a little more power in transmission than the MT.
Power doesn't really matter, it's the torque that matters and the regular TC gearboxes do multiply torque. Doesn't really happen this way with dual clutch gearboxes like in the GT.

The difference in torque is pretty evident in a small petrol automatic car such as the Brio AT or the Xcent AT. The AT variants of these cars pull much better at lower rpms as compared to their manual counterparts, but you might not feel the same pronounced effect with the XUV due to the diesel already producing torque in abundance.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2016, 18:31   #246
Senior - BHPian

What CrAzY dRiVeR says is perfect.
When we slip a regular clutch while starting, we still get the same torque at the output, but converters multiply this torque while slipping. Secondly, when you release your clutch pedal, and the plate fully clutches the flywheel the oad pulls the RPM down, so while starting if you have reved up to say 1700 RPM, on fully clutching the vehicle engine may be pulled down to 1300 RPM or so. in an AT car engine will be at 1700 Rpm, but gearbox may be at 1100 Rpm, but having 50% more torque. You do not have this advantage in AMT and other dual clutch cars.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 15:29   #247
BHPian

I am keen on buying the W6 automatic version as its the best value for money vehicle at the moment. My only concern is on the niggles and reliability factor. Some of the updates that i read in other thread scares me for i intend to retain my vehicle for at least 6 years. My 8 year old Fiesta hasn't stranded me even once, I expect the same reliability in my next car and hence the dilema. Anyway plan to take a test drive this week and check out the transmission. Not sure if anyone has purchased the XUV automatic here for i haven't seen a owner review as yet.
Old 17th May 2016, 12:54   #248

Guys - I have recently bought the XUV 500 W10 FWD AT from India Garage Bangalore. While i have just finished the initial running of the car and almost every thing works just fine, till date I have not faced any issues.
The only thing which is irritating me is the AT gear bezzle which keeps coming out every now and then and I have to fix it back, it not only looks bad but also is irritating while driving. I would like to know if anyone else is also facing this and if there is any fix for this during the first service?

Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 00:47   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyman View Post
..The only thing which is irritating me is the AT gear bezzle which keeps coming out every now and then and I have to fix it back, it not only looks bad but also is irritating while driving. I would like to know if anyone else is also facing this and if there is any fix for this during the first service?

Thanks
Hi Armyman,
I do have the same issue with some other minor niggles. Got most resolved but the issue with the bezel still exists but better than before. In the first few days the bezel would come off every 25 Kms and especially if the roads are uneven. I had taken the car to the service center and they did a temporary fix. Don't know what they did but the bezel now comes off only every 250kms or so. They told me that they will have a permanent fix in the first service which is still a while away. But I am concerned that they may just use a double sided tape to keep it in place.
Old 18th May 2016, 14:25   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
I am keen on buying the W6 automatic version as its the best value for money vehicle at the moment. My only concern is on the niggles and reliability factor. Some of the updates that i read in other thread scares me for i intend to retain my vehicle for at least 6 years. My 8 year old Fiesta hasn't stranded me even once, I expect the same reliability in my next car and hence the dilema. Anyway plan to take a test drive this week and check out the transmission. Not sure if anyone has purchased the XUV automatic here for i haven't seen a owner review as yet.
Niggles comes along with the XUV 500, But most of them have been rectified, Still small niggles aren't a game changer, Mechanically both the MT that i have had has been fantastic with ZERO mechanical issues, Automatic being recently launched i cannot comment over it, We will have to wait and watch about it in a couple of coming months.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 08:13   #251
BHPian

Mahindra XUV500 Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Hii I too had a huge doubt in my mind a few weeks back when I was deciding between MT/AT. Here are my two cents

My primary requirement for the suv was the AWD which like many others here feel is a core part of any suv. The same is not available in the W8 AT AWD. The W10 AWD AT was pushing the price too high taking away value for money proposition which is the basis among many other reasons the xuv sells in such numbers.

The fuel economy however marginal will make a difference in 1000 kms plus drives. The sheer joy / fun of a manual can never be had in the autobox in addition to the complete control over the gear. My cheetah is primarily for weekend drives and road trips and not for daily commute where an AT is more useful. Last but most importantly having released only a couple of months back there is no detailed ownership and vehicle information and it's performance in various conditions is not yet proven.

This is my personal opinion and I don't mean to offend anyone here.

The reasons for going in for the AT are

- Absolutely convenient when I took the test drive I was floored. The beast was so easy to drive!

- The aisin gear box which is Japanese tech is used on many vehicles worldwide and has proven to be good.

- Will leave you smiling in the crawling traffic conditions now a days.

It is definitely the way of the future of cars in India. Much easier for family members not very enthusiastic about driving to take it up and share the chores In the end it's totally your decision depending on your requirements.

P.S - On 9th May brought home a Silver XUV 500 W8 AWD MT refresh.

Last edited by GTO : 21st May 2016 at 10:00. Reason: Formatting properly
vinitbhavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 08:30   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
...In the end it's totally your decision depending on your requirements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Niggles comes along with the XUV 500, But most of them have been rectified, Still small niggles aren't a game changer, Mechanically both the MT that i have had has been fantastic with ZERO mechanical issues, Automatic being recently launched i cannot comment over it, We will have to wait and watch about it in a couple of coming months.
Thank you for your valuable feedback, my requirement is 90% city and 10% outstation. This is one of the primary reasons to choose the automatic. I plan to take a test drive ths weekend and if it ticks all the boxes, which i think it would then I may settle for this and not wait for the Nexon.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th May 2016 at 19:24.
Old 20th May 2016, 14:49   #253
KBo

I have been keenly reading this thread.
I have been a fan of the XUV 500 ever since it was launched and though I own a 2010 Scorpio Sle MHwak, I have also driven the XUV quite a bit.
Only yesterday, I took a TD of the AT.
All I can say is that I was totally floored with the refinement on this AT. Whether it is the Aisin box itself or the box coupled with the fabulous engine it is an absolute pleasure to drive.
I found it intuitive and sensed the requirement pretty well.....drive with a light foot and its eager to upshift and press it down and hold it that way, it allows the engine to rev up. I am going to have a longish TD once again, possibly take it some steep gradients and on the expressway and then take my final call....but first impressions if anything to go by, its outstanding!

On a different note, what should I expect for my Scorpio 2010 SLE MHwak single owner, mint condition, 85k on the odometer?
KBo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 15:25   #254
BHPian

Today was the delivery date for XUV 500 W6 AT. Enjoying the car.

AT is smooth and does not build up rev like some other cars.
sumannandy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 16:50   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your valuable feedback, my requirement is 90% city and 10% outstation. This is one of the primary reasons to choose the automatic. I plan to take a test drive ths weekend and if it ticks all the boxes, which i think it would then I may settle for this and not wait for the Nexon.
Yes, If its 90% in the city you should opt for the automatic, You'll have great convenience, Nexon is still some time away, All the best for the test drive, Let us know how you sound the Auto box.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks