Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2016, 23:05   #391

re: Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
+1 on the noisy part, this is not the quietest diesel AT around. As others have stated above already one should not lug the long stroke diesel engine ( low rpm and higher gears). This will be close of blasphemy in the high torgue/long stroke world!

The W6 is undoubtedly the best value for money in the entire AT lineup for XUV. However, don't let the sales rep colour your thoughts. The W6 misses out on the additional 4 airbags which was the primary reason for me switching to the W8. Additionally, the OE leather seats do offer a premium ambience. If you are keen on the W8, stick to it. The reps tried to convince me to buy the W6 too and they weren't wrong in recommending the value for money proposition. The additional airbags sealed the deal for me. With variants the decision usually boils down to how much one is willing to stretch/spend. I drew the line on the W8 and haven't regretted it.

One reason I did not get the W10 was that Mahindra was not offering the Rs 40k discount (free extended warranty + 17k worth of accessories) it was offering on other variants. The other was that there was no AWD option so the incentive to go for the W10 was significantly reduced.

Broadly the cost were: 16.32 (ex showroom) + Rs2.08 (RT & registration) + Rs 45k insurance +Rs 16.3 k TDS. Mahindra had an offer on extended warranty (Rs 22.5k) and 17k worth of free accessories. Additional accessories were offered at a discount- up to 25% off. I could not transfer the NCB from my previous car since the new owner had not transferred the insurance, will do it in the next renewal cycle.

Hope this helps and good luck with your purchase!

Cheers,
Sting
Thanks Sting!

I had almost made up my mind on W8 but a test drive with family got them gunning for the sunroof and lo I had to stretch my already stretched budget lest I regret later. Finally booked the pearl white 1.99 W10 AT from Sri Durga automobiles Dwarka for delivery planned during the Navratri. I see you mentioned 25% discount on the accessories but I was offered only 10%. Though it's quite late but may I ask from which dealer you got the car?

Cheers

Lantian
Old 29th September 2016, 23:25   #392
BHPian

Just wanted to ask the DIY guru's out here. I come from a Auto Diesel Fluidic Verna and I'm really looking forward to buying this car. However i'm a guy who drives his car atleast 80% of the time in triptronic mode.

Seeing the button on the XUV for manual shifting has really turned me off as:
1] It will cause a fatigued left thumb.
2] Take the little bit fun out of having a pseudo-stick shift.
3] Make the button prone to break or loosen up with prolonged use perhaps??

Just wanted to know if there is anyway possible to install paddle shifters to this bad boy? If yes then what would be the cost along with a source to get it done in Mumbai and if it will void the warranty.
Old 30th September 2016, 09:10   #393
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
Just wanted to know if there is anyway possible to install paddle shifters to this bad boy? If yes then what would be the cost along with a source to get it done in Mumbai and if it will void the warranty.
IMHO, 90% of the drivers who buy cars equipped with AT drive it on D or Auto mode. Using gear lever or button to shift gears beats the purpose actually of buying an AT.

So manufacturers don't give much emphasis to semi-manual gear shifting.

Adding paddle shifters would be a costly option and would definitely require you to go for an aftermarket steering wheel. Not worth the hassles. Plus warranty would go for a toss.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2016, 19:17   #394
Team-BHP Support

Mahindra XUV500 Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Quite a sweeping statement considering we don't even know how the 2016 Innova drives, whether it will come with an AT and what price point it will be at. I could tell you that I'll buy the 2022 next-gen XUV500 over the 2016 Innova, but that's going nowhere.

Please tell me the prices of other SUVs that offer this cabin space, AT and AWD. And when it comes to the cabin and comfort, the XUV500 is superior to the 33 lakh Fortuner 4x4 AT.

Hey, I'm just curious now that the Innova is launched, between the automatic XUV 5OO and Innova what would you guys recommend. Now that you've had an official review of both and therefore spent time in both. Just want to know how you rate one against the other all factors considered. The Innova has pushed the envelope on price a fair bit but then it's also gone reasonably plush.

Thanks.
Old 8th October 2016, 15:14   #395

Been following the XUV threads for a while and finally plunged in and picked up the W10 AT AWD this week - this after driving a Scorpio for a long long time.

Thank you to all on these groups for so much detailed info - made the final call simpler.

Any suggestions on a wider dead pedal?
Old 24th October 2016, 23:05   #396
BHPian

Thanks a ton for this review and all the pages of vital information. Booked the W10 Automatic FWD today. Will update post delivery
Old 25th October 2016, 11:26   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skhendry View Post
Been following the XUV threads for a while and finally plunged in and picked up the W10 AT AWD this week - this after driving a Scorpio for a long long time.

Thank you to all on these groups for so much detailed info - made the final call simpler.

Any suggestions on a wider dead pedal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonkayar View Post
Thanks a ton for this review and all the pages of vital information. Booked the W10 Automatic FWD today. Will update post delivery
Congrats to skhendry and simonkayar!
I have a month old Scorpio AT 2WD. The XUV AT is in my to-do list. So - I will be looking forward to your user/owner reviews!

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 16:04   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Congrats to skhendry and simonkayar!

I have a month old Scorpio AT 2WD. The XUV AT is in my to-do list. So - I will be looking forward to your user/owner reviews!

Regards,

Girish Mahajan

Thanks Girish and congrats on your car too. Took delivery of the Sunset Orange W10 Automatic FWD on Diwali day. Started with the ownership review. Should be ready in a week's time
Old 12th November 2016, 23:58   #399

Hi Team,
I have been following the XUV 500 threads and many more for quite some time now. Finally the time is here for me to switch from my 9 year old trusted sx4 to a bigger and mightier companion. Reading most of the 27 pages of this thread I must say I am hooked on to XUV 500 W10 AWD. I want AWD for sure, although how frequently it will be used is doubtful. Like some other respectable users I also feel that a SUV should have 4x4. The only part I am not sure of is the AT or MT choice.

I test drove the W10 AT and drove my friends W6 MT for a few Kms. I must say I loved the AT and it was very convenient to drive. What I am confused about is that if I am buying an AWD, and if I land up in a sticky/slushy slope - wouldn't it be better to have full control over the gear in your own hands rather than letting the car decide. I know there is a small plastic button like thing on the gear knob to do it manually - but can I depend on it in worst case situations? It doesn't give me much confidence. Would appreciate your opinions on this. Other than this the positives for both the variants as I understood are as follows -

MT
Full control over gear shifts - change as and when I decide to.
Better mileage (16 vs 13.86 kmpl) maybe due to brake energy regeneration, micro hybrid technology and also more efficient gear changes (hopefully).
Cheaper by a Lakh

AT
Convenience when driving in the city
Less fatigue due to zero use of left leg and minimal use of left hand (I hope I don't fall asleep)

Friends - please post your opinions/suggestions and help me take this decision.

Regards.

PS. Much to my liking the passive key-less entry, smart key and Start/Stop button are now available in the W10 AT . I checked in the specifications sheet and also confirmed with M&M over phone.
Puranjoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 11:44   #400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puranjoy View Post
What I am confused about is that if I am buying an AWD, and if I land up in a sticky/slushy slope - wouldn't it be better to have full control over the gear in your own hands rather than letting the car decide.
The XUV AWD Automatic is the most sensible choice available out there now in the price range. For general AWD applications, automatic will do fine. I had an automatic landcruiser and never faced any issues off road.

Don't worry about this, many of the souped up wrangler's that are used in the Rubicon train which is probably a hundred times worse than what an XUV will face are done with automatics and manual wranglers.

Besides you can use the manual override to keep it in the gear you want.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 08:09   #401
BHPian

Hi everyone,

I have been looking to replace one of our cars - Fluidic Verna and I have considered many alternatives ranging from used luxury sedans to proper 4x4 SUVs. Thanks to our wonderful Team-BHP official review, all the critical feedbacks and inputs from owners and experts, and many thanks to Hyundai guys for exorbitant pricing of Tucson, I have sealed XUV 500 AT on my next car

Now the confusion is between W6 AT and W10 AT. The W6 AT feels very much VFM as we initially wanted to go for a Creta AT and this W6 AT comes almost at the same price with much more features. However, for the additional airbags and all the bells and whistles, I need to spend almost an additional 3.5-4 lacs. Budget is not much of a problem though.

Can I get any suggestions on choosing the variants, please?

Also, I'm thinking to postpone the booking and delivery to December as our MODI decision and year ending are going to affect the sales and get me some discounts.
Old 15th November 2016, 08:44   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
Now the confusion is between W6 AT and W10 AT. The W6 AT feels very much VFM as we initially wanted to go for a Creta AT and this W6 AT comes almost at the same price with much more features. However, for the additional airbags and all the bells and whistles, I need to spend almost an additional 3.5-4 lacs. Budget is not much of a problem though.
Can I get any suggestions on choosing the variants, please?
The W6 AT is the most VFM diesel AT SUV currently. However if you think you might have this sinking feeling every time you see a W10 with its sunroof :-) then better get it especially when money is not an issue. Jokes apart I think the extra airbags, reverse camera and passive keyless with push button start are probably very good reasons in that order to go for W10. Believe me I was looking for W4 and ended up with W10 Automatic even though money was a problem
simonkayar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 09:45   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonkayar View Post
Believe me I was looking for W4 and ended up with W10 Automatic even though money was a problem
Lol. Thank You so much for that instant suggestion. Even I might end up with the same as I can't stand with envy seeing other XUV W10s on road. Rather I would spend money, have all the features and not use them.

Regarding the XUV, I have some little concerns. It would be great if you can help me clarify them from an owner perspective.

1. How is the FE for your vehicle? I have read many owners posting from 9-15kmpl for an automatic. Hence a little concerned about mileage, especially when selling the Fluidic Verna which gives 22kmpl on highways

2. Are there any rattles or niggles you are currently experiencing in your vehicle? If so, are they serious ones?

3. How is the spare parts and maintenance cost of the vehicle? (Compared to Hyunda...may be?)

4. Is the vertical movement of the suspension on highways too high to the extent of causing inconvenience & fatigue to the rear seat passengers? We have a lot of undulations on our roads & highways and 50% of my travel will be on highways. Hence that concern.

Any other tips or suggestions in buying the vehicle are welcome. Thanks.
Old 15th November 2016, 18:32   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
1. How is the FE for your vehicle? I have read many owners posting from 9-15kmpl for an automatic. Hence a little concerned about mileage, especially when selling the Fluidic Verna which gives 22kmpl on highways
This is not the vehicle to look at if you are concerned on FE. A very good realistic highway FE for XUV with some hypermiling thrown in would be 15-16 kmpl, very rarely some saints have got 18 kmpl. If you want 20+ kmpl you should look at the D1 diesel sedans
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 19:21   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
This is not the vehicle to look at if you are concerned on FE. A very good realistic highway FE for XUV with some hypermiling thrown in would be 15-16 kmpl, very rarely some saints have got 18 kmpl. If you want 20+ kmpl you should look at the D1 diesel sedans
Lol. I was trying to say - the FE posted by owners has a lot of variation - ranging from 8.5 to 16kmpl. Currently my i20 gives 12 in city and 16 on highways for my driving.

So, if the XUV gives me 11-12 in city and 13-14 on highways, I would be more than happy. But if it is on the lower side i.e. 8-9 in city and 10-11 on highways - then I would be concerned a bit.

To give you an idea of why I'm concerned about that - my businesses demand me to drive close to 5000km per month with 50% city and 50% highway. Hence, even 2-3km variation matters for me

Sorry for not being clear on that part.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks