Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2018, 00:40   #1891
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Dear All,
When I unlock my car and open the door, I hear a hissing sound for 5-6 seconds. Then I close the door while still standing outside. Then I open the door again; this time no hissing sound.
Is this common ?
Thank You.
Old 24th March 2018, 23:41   #1892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishrap View Post
Dear All,
When I unlock my car and open the door, I hear a hissing sound for 5-6 seconds. Then I close the door while still standing outside. Then I open the door again; this time no hissing sound.
Is this common ?
Thank You.
IIRC this is the difference between longevity of AMT box in Tata as opposed to others.
It's the liquid pumping to the AMT unit prepping it for action. Had read this somewhere in this thread or the Maruti AMT niggles thread. Not sure. Happens ONLY with driver side door. Happens only if car switched off and door opened after 5 minutes or so. Nothing to worry. At all.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 10:37   #1893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
IIRC this is the difference between longevity of AMT box in Tata as opposed to others.
It's the liquid pumping to the AMT unit prepping it for action. Had read this somewhere in this thread or the Maruti AMT niggles thread. Not sure. Happens ONLY with driver side door. Happens only if car switched off and door opened after 5 minutes or so. Nothing to worry. At all.
Thanks Dr.Suraj.

Moreover, I was wondering about the AMC which the dealer was trying to sell me. I said I will decide and come back.
2 yr AMC cost some 8300/-: Covers all servicing charges + labour. Plus the vehicle pick-up drop for servicing would not be charges.
Does it makes sense to pay 8300/- for (2nd, 6th, 12th, 18th & 24th month servicing) ? First 3 are free servicing.
Instead of that, does it makes sense to opt for 2+2 Extended warranty, which costs 6500/- roughly.
Kindly let me know your opinon.
Thank You.
Old 26th March 2018, 12:37   #1894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishrap View Post
Thanks Dr.Suraj.

Moreover, I was wondering about the AMC which the dealer was trying to sell me. I said I will decide and come back.
2 yr AMC cost some 8300/-: Covers all servicing charges + labour. Plus the vehicle pick-up drop for servicing would not be charges.
Does it makes sense to pay 8300/- for (2nd, 6th, 12th, 18th & 24th month servicing) ? First 3 are free servicing.
Instead of that, does it makes sense to opt for 2+2 Extended warranty, which costs 6500/- roughly.
Kindly let me know your opinon.
Thank You.
For my last 3 Tata Cars I have opted for BOTH - Extended Warranty + AMC (usually Gold for full 4 years). It is a STEAL.

Your 1st 3 services are free - but 4th & 5th - LABOUR + Consumables (engine oil, coolant, air filter etc.) - would definitely cost MORE than 8000 Rs. SO you are saving up front right away. Factor in some other bits like, if needed, clutch, brake pads, AC gas, wiper blades and you only stand to save more money. IMHO, it's a no-brainer. Especially when it comes to Tata.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 12:58   #1895
BHPian

Quote:
For my last 3 Tata Cars I have opted for BOTH - Extended Warranty + AMC (usually Gold for full 4 years). It is a STEAL.

Your 1st 3 services are free - but 4th & 5th - LABOUR + Consumables (engine oil, coolant, air filter etc.) - would definitely cost MORE than 8000 Rs. SO you are saving up front right away. Factor in some other bits like, if needed, clutch, brake pads, AC gas, wiper blades and you only stand to save more money. IMHO, it's a no-brainer. Especially when it comes to Tata.
+1

In short, extended warranty covers parts that is covered under warranty and does not covers wear and tear parts like brake pad, clutch etc.

AMC on the other hand covers wear and tear parts and consumables like engine oil, coolant, brake oil etc too.
archat68 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 14:55   #1896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
+1

In short, extended warranty covers parts that is covered under warranty and does not covers wear and tear parts like brake pad, clutch etc.

AMC on the other hand covers wear and tear parts and consumables like engine oil, coolant, brake oil etc too.
Absolutely correct! Thus the combo of the 2 is complete peace of mind and very very light on the wallet. Even in worst case scenario, you save (not even break even).
Old 26th March 2018, 15:04   #1897
BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure the gold AMC is 4years? I have in mind its 3 years. Where as extended warranty cover totally 4 years.

-UB
Old 26th March 2018, 15:26   #1898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
Are you sure the gold AMC is 4years? I have in mind its 3 years. Where as extended warranty cover totally 4 years.

-UB
As per the price list,

Gold AMC = 30,000 KMS/2 yrs
Extended Warranty = 2 yrs + 2 yrs

Thank You.
Old 29th March 2018, 13:05   #1899
BHPian

My aunt was wanting to buy a Renault Kwid AMT, but on my insistence she took a test drive of the Tiago AMT and loved it.

We went for another test drive yesterday to Concorde motors Velachery. During the test drive I shifted from Auto to Manual and was doing about 40kmph in 3rd gear, I downshifted twice and the gearbox hesitated but shifted to 1st gear and then the accelerator got cut off totally, gearbox went into Neutral and the car slowed down due to engine braking. The Sales guy and me both tried shifting it to Neutral, reverse and back to auto but the accelerator did not come back to life. Finally I turned off the car and cranked it back on and everything was fine.

What I think is that the gearbox downshifted because I wanted it to, but then it realised the engine rpm at that speed in first gear was high and the electronic nanny cut off the accelerator and put the gearbox in N (neutral) to prevent damage.

What do you guys think? Have any Tiago AMT owners experienced this? The test drive car in question had 13900kms on the ODO and definitely could have been abused.

Anyway I did not let that hamper the prospect of my aunt booking the Tiago. Except that 1 minute fiasco the AMT was very smooth shifting with a light foot on the throttle and the creep function worked well. I especially loved the gear shifter and the AMT was holding on to each gear till about 4k rpm in sports mode.

My aunt ended up booking a Tiago XZA in Berry Red at Gurudev Tata since he had a 2018 one in stock and we wanted to invoice the car before March 31st to avail the discounts on the car.

Last edited by Shanksta : 29th March 2018 at 13:07.
Old 29th March 2018, 15:26   #1900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
My aunt was wanting to buy a Renault Kwid AMT, but on my insistence she took a test drive of the Tiago AMT and loved it.

We went for another test drive yesterday to Concorde motors Velachery. During the test drive I shifted from Auto to Manual and was doing about 40kmph in 3rd gear, I downshifted twice and the gearbox hesitated but shifted to 1st gear and then the accelerator got cut off totally, gearbox went into Neutral and the car slowed down due to engine braking. The Sales guy and me both tried shifting it to Neutral, reverse and back to auto but the accelerator did not come back to life. Finally I turned off the car and cranked it back on and everything was fine.
First of all congratulation.
Second, regarding downshifting, I have never tried downshifting while on driving mode and would recommend not to do it either. Thanks for sharing your experience as I did not know such a feature is built in for AMT. For sure in any transmission the drive ratio for 1st gear is too big and shifting to first gear even on a synchromesh arrangement is a bit too strong. This is because the relative speed between output and input shaft speed is too large and could lead to damage of gears.

-UB
UB_007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 15:33   #1901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
Second, regarding downshifting, I have never tried downshifting while on driving mode and would recommend not to do it either. Thanks for sharing your experience as I did not know such a feature is built in for AMT. For sure in any transmission the drive ratio for 1st gear is too big and shifting to first gear even on a synchromesh arrangement is a bit too strong. This is because the relative speed between output and input shaft speed is too large and could lead to damage of gears.

-UB
The weird part was after the gearbox downshifted and accelerator got cut off the MID flashed N whereas I felt engine braking. I actually downshifted twice by mistake, it being an AMT it takes a second or two while downshifting. I thought I did not pull the lever properly and did it again and it went to first gear.

Anyway I was happy to know atleast some built in safety like this is present.
Old 2nd April 2018, 17:58   #1902
Senior - BHPian

Tata cars have been proving themselves w.r.t build quality. Recently, Nexon proved it was built to protect its owners. Tiago has already proved it long back. But another incident / accident reveals how Tata is marching ahead like a tank having extra rounds of armour built in its DNA!

If reports are to be believed, occupants walked unscathed by gods grace. Unlucky for the tractor as it seems to have torn apart. Tiago did take a good amount of hit. But we are glad the passengers made it out alive.

Link: Rushlane

PS: if this report has already been shared, mods can feel free to remove this post.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago : Official Review-88017527d43c444393511ca327a71e36.jpeg  

Tata Tiago : Official Review-772a1788cc7f4acc83f5743f53549068.jpeg  

Tata Tiago : Official Review-d7eb8853fe3e40bda22cf73525ed64b1.jpeg  

Tata Tiago : Official Review-e4f42267a71a40a7ab1d58414c01d844.jpeg  

Tata Tiago : Official Review-3aa3e9637ceb4e5c886a43a4589c4aa6.jpeg  

gururajrv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2018, 18:07   #1903
Senior - BHPian

While I am in no way putting the structural strength of the new gen Tata cars down, I feel Rushlane is being paid by Tata to influence readers, as the number of posts related to Tata's strengths are just far too many!

The page is slowly turing into a Tata advertorial.
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2018, 09:52   #1904
BHPian

Tata Tiago : Official Review

Hey all, now its almost two years that I using my Tiago. But from last one week I am experiencing some jerks at constant speed that is if I am driving at between 30kmph to 40kmph on 3rd gear revving at 2000 rpm, the car jerks a little bit. But those jerks were not present before.
I have wasted my two days with Tata service center, they did not find any of those so they changed the spark plug and after several time of connecting the car to their diagnosing system they were not able to find anything thus they replied your car is completely fine.
My car has clocked almost 25K kms.
Anyone experiencing the same, kindly let me know.

Last edited by ank_bhp : 6th April 2018 at 09:55.
Old 6th April 2018, 13:02   #1905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank_bhp View Post
Hey all, now its almost two years that I using my Tiago. But from last one week I am experiencing some jerks at constant speed that is if I am driving at between 30kmph to 40kmph on 3rd gear revving at 2000 rpm, the car jerks a little bit. But those jerks were not present before.
Anyone experiencing the same, kindly let me know.
One of the members of the Facebook ATOM group also faced a similar issue and is trying to get it fixed. Here is what he said in his TAI review,
Quote:
Off late I have been noticing uneven power delivery (kinda like jerks) between 1700 and 1900 RPM range, very much noticeable in 3rd gear. This is evident only under sedate acceleration (or holding engine between said RPM range) and won't be felt with strong acceleration. ASC folks checked the spark plugs and found slight traces of oil. Initial impression was to replace cylinder head but after they opened further, it was decided against replacement. Instead, all spark plugs were replaced and they test ran my car for a day. They were also going to change a minor part that is out of stock and will call me once it arrives.
Link to above quote: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...tml#post563275

He hasn't got it fixed as they are waiting for some parts.

Last edited by Sam_GTR : 6th April 2018 at 13:05. Reason: TIA to TAI

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks