Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2021, 12:20   #511
BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb : Official Review

GTO and bro! Welcome to the Superb club. I got myself a Superb L&K last year. My buying experience is kind of identical to so many here, went in trying to pick up an octavia 1.8 and one month later ended up with a business grey superb L&K sitting in the parking lot. Although it has run a meagre 6K Kms over the last one year, I have relished every single km and hour spent within it. Amazing car, brilliant size, features and looks.

I fully agree with you and understand the sentiment when you say that it is a 50L car masquerading as a 35L car. It does help when that also aligns with ones own personal credo. Once again, welcome to the Superb owners club and wish your brother and the family miles and miles of happiness with it!
Merril is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 13:12   #512
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations GTO to you & your brother for the "Superb" German, Enjoy
karan561 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 14:24   #513
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow Congrats GTO to you and your brother. It is certainly the best value for money in that segment and delivers comfort equal to the luxury mid range Germans. It is also a hoot to drive and with the new Superb design it looks much better and modern. The space inside and the boot space will really spoil you and now you will tell your family "pack everything and lets even take the sofa "

Enjoy the car and wish you many years of happy Motoring!

Last edited by Behemoth : 2nd February 2021 at 14:26.
Behemoth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 16:19   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The car is going to spend 2 - 3 days at the Redline Autohaus shop for a PPF, full black roof & applying the Honda rat tape on all wires & pipes.
Congratulations to you and your bro on the new car! What a superb purchase the Superb is, indeed! If Autobahn had been a little bit better in their dealings, they could've sold so many more cars. For TDs, they've probably got the best 4-5KM route in the city, but alas!

Off Topic - but i'm planning to get my humble Civic PPFed / Ceramic coated as well. How's your previous experience with Redline Autohaus been like (are they the same ones based in Jogeshwari)? Can't figure out a good shop where I can safely leave my car for 2-3 days (and get a good deal). Will appreciate your inputs.
andafunda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 16:40   #515
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In total, we ended up with a whopping 6 lakh discount! My bro paid them 33 lakhs for the car (on the road price) + 78000 (6-year extended warranty), 50000 (all inclusive 4 year service & maintenance package) + 24000 for accessories (my bro really wanted the coat hanger + pillows + dustbin etc.) + Skoda's drive assure for 37 grand (basically zero dep insurance coverage + some additional protections including engine seizure from floods). Total billing was 35 lakhs dot.

IMHO, 33 lakhs for a Superb is a steal.
Firstly, hearty congratulations. Before I say anything else I am still trying to digest the sticker price. The hallowed L&K trim is for 33 lakh on road?? That's incredible value! It suddenly makes the Compass etc look plain silly in comparison.

I have seen some photos of the Sportsline trim and it looks absolutely stunning. I am just curious - had you wanted the Sportsline, how much cheaper do you reckon that would have been than the 33 lakh L&K? Just general curiosity not that I am in the Superb market. Had I been in the market today I would have struggled to pick anything else in the 28 - 45 lakh market if that's the price a Superb would come home at.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 17:00   #516
Senior - BHPian

@GTO Congrats to you and Kunal on the Superb L&K. It's a looker indeed, wishing that it gives impeccable service and miles of smiles. This one car that you can move house with with sumptuous rear seats/boot/features/performance. During the lockdown period it all boils down to taking recreative night drives in peace, that way the FE will also be good.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 17:35   #517
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, received three PMs, but replying here as a PM helps 1 person while a public post can help thousands.

This killer deal was only for the 2020 car (basically a stock clearance before the 2021 updated car rolled out), white colour (our first choice) and these dark coffee-brown interiors (our first choice). The price of the new L&K has gone up by 2 lakhs, while the best discount I have heard is 2.xx lakhs for the 2021 car. Am sure you can bring it up to 3.xx lakhs if you sit with a cheque book on the table.

I do expect 4 - 5 lakh rupee discounts after 4 - 5 months and once the Octavia is on sale.
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 17:57   #518
BHPian

Congratulations on the great purchase and a wonderful addition to your family!!!

Quote:

I added fuel to the fire (pun intended) by telling him that the Sunny gives you 15 - 23 kmpl of the cheaper fuel, while the Superb will give you 7 - 14 kmpl. My exact line to him was, "big car, big bills, get used to it".
I hope Creta (1.6Petrol AT) owners could say this aloud to pacify ourselves each time we visit the petrol bunk.

The 1.6 Petrol engine + AT combo gives mediocre fuel economy usually hovering around 10-12 kmpl , except on long highway trips. Being in Kerala, Highways are something we don't get to drive on frequently.
ZenMaster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 18:38   #519
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The price of the new L&K has gone up by 2 lakhs, while the best discount I have heard is 2.xx lakhs for the 2021 car. Am sure you can bring it up to 3.xx lakhs if you sit with a cheque book on the table.
So broadly speaking the discount is comparable to the price increase so net net any 2021 purchase would be close to the older 2020 MRP price.

Quote:
I do expect 4 - 5 lakh rupee discounts after 4 - 5 months and once the Octavia is on sale.
I didn't follow the point here. Once the new Octavia is launched (presumably at a slight price bump), wouldn't a 4 - 5 lakh discount on the Superb then complicate matters for selling the newly launched Octavia? What am I missing here please?

From your earlier posts I am speculating that the 2020 Sportsline clearance might have retailed at close to 30L maybe.

On a somewhat related note, this is what really queers the pitch for the Camry in my opinion. The cars are brought based on demand and Toyota seems happy to sell whatever they can peddle such that there are never any enticing discounts on the pricey tag of the Camry. So if one has to buy the Camry you would be faced with multiple compelling alternatives:

1. a much better priced Superb that can get even more enticing with large discounts;
2. one of the big Germans like a 3 series LWB etc which could potentially at the right time attract 7 - 8 lakh discounts as well, maybe even more.
3. Sparingly used Es /5s / 3s etc which can be had for 30 - 40 lakh.

The Camry buyer truly needs to be completely committed to that purchase despite all of the above. Wish they would be pursue higher numbers at more competitive prices. I would happily pay 2 - 4 lakh more for a Camry but if the difference is anything more than that / 6 lakh or so it really becomes hard to resist. Makes up for any contingent major maintenance concerns as well as the lower FE.
Axe77 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 19:30   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations! It's a sharp looking car compared to prev versions of Superb. Cool that you got your colour choice with a discount, a rare thing. I have become white or nothing person

Had you started with the requirements of a new car, you would have arrived at Superb through the most boring decision process ever because there is hardly anything else in the market. Camry with its price tag is only meant for Toyota-or-nothing folks. Wish your brother many years of happy ownership.
androdev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 20:46   #521
BHPian

Congratulations GTO! It's always great to see someone add another car to their garage. The Superb is, dare I say it, superb in every possible way. The 2.0TSI has some crazy mod potential. Happy motoring ahead!
AJ18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 21:22   #522
BHPian

Every time a I spot a Superb I stare at it. Its the most beautiful and elegant car on our roads. My dream car that I will never own. I do 35-40k Kms a year, travelling between our manufacturing units in different states and this is not for me. Maybe in another life when the Toyota makes the Superb I will own one.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 22:05   #523
BHPian

Congratulations GTO! For an SUV loving guy, this is one of the very few sedans which tempt me.
Hope after your ownership review, we will get to see more of this beauty on Indian roads.
Highh5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 00:36   #524
BHPian

Congratulations GTO sir, the white superb is a beauty

Quote:
Still, here's the thing about European cars = they completely & absolutely spoil you! After having a German luxury barge as my primary drive for 6 years, there is absolutely no way I could drive a Camry or even a Lexus as my daily ride. German cars really spoil you and it's hard to consider a non-European car once you're used to the experience, build engineering & dynamics.
TRUE TRUE, me and my cousin are fed up of telling chachas and taus in our village that the overall luxury experience of his Tiguan Allspace is superior to any crossover in that budget and they keep saying "Atirik mein toh phaartuner aa jaati".

P.S. Your fashion sense is awesome I must say. Only if college guys knew there is more to fashion than just black kurtas and ankle-length pants.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd February 2021 at 19:48. Reason: typos and removed emoji - limit 2
Lowflyer23 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 07:10   #525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My bro was originally inclined to buy a Seltos now and a C-Class 5 years later. Instead, he's going to keep the Superb for 10 years.
Congrats to you and your brother on picking up the Superb, that too at a fantastic price. Best wishes for a trouble free service experience.

Agree fully that Kia really screwed up on the build quality - it meets my needs perfectly but am hunting around looking at various options mainly because of the crash test rating. Though I may eventually go for it since it will be an almost exclusively city use car.

Quick question- was ₹33 l OTR for a corporate or an individual registration? At ₹30 l ex show room, this would be very tempting indeed. One more question? Did you consider the Tiguan Allspace, and if so how would you compare that with the Superb.
Hayek is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed