Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2019, 19:36   #1801
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Congrats for your GX AT.

Did you get any discount ?
Here in Pune dealers are giving 40k cash discount and basic accessories (Mat + mud flap)

Thanks for the wishes.

Discounts from toyota dealer in vijayawada is a distant word sir. I am getting the same basic accessories, mats and mud flaps as freebies that too with great difficulty. This is my first vehicle from toyota stable.

Regards
Drpavan.
Old 2nd February 2019, 17:50   #1802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Quick question to the Crysta owners here -

I am a 2018 plush XUV500 AT owner and I am already pissed off with a lot of issues (planning an ownership thread soon). Meanwhile I am now looking at Crysta 2.8 AT now, however have a few concerns :-

1) A lot of you have mentioned Crysta is a great upgrade from Old Innova. It is really in terms of comfort? I did a few test drives lately, and I felt Crysta is very bouncy (same nausea inducing feeling which I am trying to get rid of in my XUV500).

2) Did someone say new Crysta is having plush suspension soaking up all potholes? Again surprised, bcoz most of the thuds during test drives came directly in (XUV in comparison felt slightly better, slightly)

Now that I am looking to move from XUV to Crysta due to precisely the above 2 issues (I am ok with a bit of body roll and stuffs), I am a bit confused. I am a die hard Toyota fan (having used Corolla Altis prior to XUV), but somehow ended up with XUV. But this time I know Crysta sells in huge numbers but still I don't want to create another blunder, please advice.

And the point which adds to my doubt is "I see ONE new crysta up for sale DAILY in OLX in Bangalore". And most of those vehicles have hardly done 30 to 50k. I dont think this was the case with older Innova's, where people used to keep it. I strongly wonder if it because the Crysta lacks comfort.

My investigation continued on this topic and here are my updated findings :-

- Few months back before I purchased XUV, I had taken test drives of atleast 3 crystas both MT and AT from Nandi Toyota. However, the steering felt light, bumps were too much, engine felt unrefined, did not feel good about any of those three vehicles. I went with my thumb rule of "if a vehicle is really good, test drive vehicles are an indicator". So eventually due to 4 lacs saving as well, I went ahead with XUV (plush XUV was just launched and obviously the test drive vehicle was new).

- Yesterday, while walking back to office after a quick tea from a nearby shop, I spotted a 2018 Demo 2.4 V MT Crysta from Ravindu Toyota. Vehicle was brand new and here are my observations :-

a) FELT LIKE A TOYOTA! I wish I could scream more!
b) Engine feels refined
c) FEELS PLUSHHHHHHH, wasnt bouncy
d) Steering wasnt light and wobbly. It was firm as it should be.
e) Gave me goosebumps as if I got my Corolla Altis like Toyota quality back!

I AM A FAN of Crysta now and terribly sad that my 2018 test drives were on bad Crystas leading me to select XUV over the cash savings.

But this prompts me to think about two factors now :-

1) Can Crysta be bruised so easily when compared to the bullet proof older Innova? If so, I would not dare buy a used Crysta. Test drive vehicles had done 40k-50k kms, and we all know they arent well maintained either, but still in the back of my mind it disturbs, only because we expect a lot from Toyota.

OR

2) Did Toyota fix something, read as suspension, NVH and steering feedback.
If so, dear friends don't even think twice if confused over Hexa vs Crysta vs XUV vs Compass, it is the Crysta.

When I checked with Salesman, he said Ravindu has received the new Crystas for both MT and AT and later when I spoke to Nandi Salesman, he too confirmed that they are also getting new Test drive Crystas. It could be normal for dealers to change vehicles over a period of time, but this how come both dealers getting new vehicle same time?

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 2nd February 2019 at 18:16.
sam_sant2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 23:07   #1803
BHPian

Quote:
My investigation continued on this topic and here are my updated findings :-

I am sorry you had a bad experience with your XUV, hope your next vehicle fulfills your requirement.

I will just add my perspective here. I have owned Hondas and Toyotas in USA for years and driven extensively (CR-V, Corolla). Currently I am on my second XUV, my current vehicle being 2016 XUV AT. In both vehicles I have driven over 1,25,000 kms (80,000 in current vehicle and 48,000 in older one). I had reliability issues in older XUV, but I would tell you the current XUV AT is as reliable as any of the Hondas and Toyotas I owned earlier. I have taken it to all parts of the country including China Border in Sikkim to Rajasthan, Remote areas with no road near Bhutan etc. and it never failed, neither there were any issues with comfort. I regularly drive 1200-1300 kms a day without getting tired. Yes I don't appreciate the lateral movement over rumble strips if driven hard, but other than that it has been an awesome car. And I regularly jump speed breakers, even occasionally bigger ones in highway but there has not been any issue so far.

Not an XUV vs Innova post, just adding my perspective. Innova is also a great car and hope you enjoy your car.

Last edited by theMAG : 5th February 2019 at 23:32. Reason: Quoted content trimmed for readability.
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 06:22   #1804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
I am sorry you had a bad experience with your XUV, hope your next vehicle fulfills your requirement.

I will just add my perspective here. I have owned Hondas and Toyotas in USA for years and driven extensively (CR-V, Corolla). Currently I am on my second XUV, my current vehicle being 2016 XUV AT. In both vehicles I have driven over 1,25,000 kms (80,000 in current vehicle and 48,000 in older one). I had reliability issues in older XUV, but I would tell you the current XUV AT is as reliable as any of the Hondas and Toyotas I owned earlier. I have taken it to all parts of the country including China Border in Sikkim to Rajasthan, Remote areas with no road near Bhutan etc. and it never failed, neither there were any issues with comfort. I regularly drive 1200-1300 kms a day without getting tired. Yes I don't appreciate the lateral movement over rumble strips if driven hard, but other than that it has been an awesome car. And I regularly jump speed breakers, even occasionally bigger ones in highway but there has not been any issue so far.

Not an XUV vs Innova post, just adding my perspective. Innova is also a great car and hope you enjoy your car.
Thanks sumannandy for sharing your points and I do respect it. I wasn't a great fan of XUV to start with especially since I came from a Corolla Altis, however I chose it at a point where my knees rang an alarm bell riding a manual in Bangalore traffic. And with the XUV AT, I was 200% satisfied on that front, in traffic as well as highways. However, looking back at a few other things like squeaks everywhere on a brand new car, pathetic overall build quality (parts coming off), braking issues (personal), wheel alignment itself sometimes takes time and the fact that 2nd row comfort is questionable during my use and lastly extreme travel fatigue (again personal compared to Corolla and Ertiga) makes me think I should move to Crysta. Most of these issues which I mentioned are purely personal views (and subjective too) depending on ones driving style and of course which vehicle one used before and priorities (read as expectations). There are 1000's of happy XUV owners I know of too, but sometimes when I pin point issues, most of them admit that "yes, I have this issue but did not note it".

No doubt XUV engine may be good for atleast 2 lacs kms, since we already have people driving it easily 1.5+ kms and other side people rarely drive a Innova for 3-4 lacs kms to enjoy its engine life either!

2nd row comfort of XUV vs Innova - I am married for 10+ years and know my wife for 15 yrs now and I have changed 5 cars during this time (Esteem, Swift, Fiesta, Ertiga, Corolla and now XUV totally to 2,00,000 kms of driving experience). However every time we do long rides in XUV, where she sits in 2nd row, she has this nausea feeling. She did not have travel or motion sickness in life before. Once I was travelling with my brother to Kerala on good highways, my brother was pushing me to get on to the wheels citing the same and when I sat there, I too felt the same. This was again for a 3rd time proven by my close friend on a trip from Bangalore to Yercaud too (extremely good highways). Most of the XUV owners don't know this because they have probably not travelled in 2nd row. And again if 3 people sit in 2nd row, probably this issue is less too. Still not sure if it is with the new plush model only, but this is a big big breaker for me now and hence I am running behind Crysta owners to confirm that Crysta is all ok in 2nd row atleast.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 4th February 2019 at 06:50.
sam_sant2005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 10:29   #1805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Still not sure if it is with the new plush model only, but this is a big big breaker for me now and hence I am running behind Crysta owners to confirm that Crysta is all ok in 2nd row atleast.
I would recommend you to hire a Zoomcar/Any rental - Crysta and drive down to native, have a short trip and see if your spouse is happy with the ride.

We being sitting in second row, next to her, might not feel the same as your spouse do!
Feeling nausea/travel sickness can ONLY be felt by THAT person alone!
Worth a try
Ramsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 14:03   #1806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But this prompts me to think about two factors now :-

1) Can Crysta be bruised so easily when compared to the bullet proof older Innova? If so, I would not dare buy a used Crysta. Test drive vehicles had done 40k-50k kms, and we all know they arent well maintained either, but still in the back of my mind it disturbs, only because we expect a lot from Toyota.

OR

2) Did Toyota fix something, read as suspension, NVH and steering feedback.
If so, dear friends don't even think twice if confused over Hexa vs Crysta vs XUV vs Compass, it is the Crysta.

When I checked with Salesman, he said Ravindu has received the new Crystas for both MT and AT and later when I spoke to Nandi Salesman, he too confirmed that they are also getting new Test drive Crystas. It could be normal for dealers to change vehicles over a period of time, but this how come both dealers getting new vehicle same time?
I have 2017 make and a 2018 make Crysta . I don't see any changes in either except the feature set. I have driven Nandi Toyota Demo Crysta and they have been abused to the core. Despite the abuse, there are no rattles and barring foldable tray, I found all parts/features functional. The steering lacking feedback is probably because of the tire as the last time I drove they had about 10-20% life left in them. Also they don't get their wheel alignment done routinely despite the abuse. Also do note, the 16inchers on V has significantly better ride comfort than 17inchers of Z and Bridgestone 16inchers have slight advantage over the Apollo's.

My older Crysta's goes though a lot- Offroad driving, often carry 8-people, carry 700-800KG load and do good amount long distance driving. The car has covered 25K now and doesnot feel very different than my 2018 car. Yes the Wooden garnish and aftermarket HU does rattle a bit Offroad and clutch has become slightly hard and that's about it. Bring it on tarmac and the car feels exactly same as it felt on day 1.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 12:05   #1807
BHPian

Quote:
2nd row comfort of XUV vs Innova - I am married for 10+ years and know my wife for 15 yrs now and I have changed 5 cars during this time (Esteem, Swift, Fiesta, Ertiga, Corolla and now XUV totally to 2,00,000 kms of driving experience). However every time we do long rides in XUV, where she sits in 2nd row, she has this nausea feeling. She did not have travel or motion sickness in life before. Once I was travelling with my brother to Kerala on good highways, my brother was pushing me to get on to the wheels citing the same and when I sat there, I too felt the same. This was again for a 3rd time proven by my close friend on a trip from Bangalore to Yercaud too (extremely good highways). Most of the XUV owners don't know this because they have probably not travelled in 2nd row. And again if 3 people sit in 2nd row, probably this issue is less too. Still not sure if it is with the new plush model only, but this is a big big breaker for me now and hence I am running behind Crysta owners to confirm that Crysta is all ok in 2nd row atleast.
+100. XUV second row comfort is one of the worst i have ever experienced. It is not the bump absorption, which is actually pretty good, its the side to side lateral movement that takes its toll after some time. Passengers come out exhausted and nauseated. Mahindra has been poor in suspension setups except for probably Marrazo.
JediKnight is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 12:16   #1808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
+100. XUV second row comfort is one of the worst i have ever experienced. It is not the bump absorption, which is actually pretty good, its the side to side lateral movement that takes its toll after some time. Passengers come out exhausted and nauseated. Mahindra has been poor in suspension setups except for probably Marrazo.

I agree. I now have an Innova Crysta ZX (with the Captain seats) and used to have an XUV before both of which are/were driver driven. World of difference. XUV does leave you tired and a bit nauseated. My son also used to get car sick in the XUV. Crysta on the other hand does not give one any discomfort or car sickness.
vanam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 12:22   #1809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanam View Post
I agree. I now have an Innova Crysta ZX (with the Captain seats) and used to have an XUV before both of which are/were driver driven. World of difference. XUV does leave you tired and a bit nauseated. My son also used to get car sick in the XUV. Crysta on the other hand does not give one any discomfort or car sickness.
Thanks a ton vanam. This is exactly what I was looking for. Your comment makes a world of difference to me now.
sam_sant2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 14:28   #1810
BHPian

After test drive of various cars (Hexa, XUV, JeeP Compass & Crysta), finally booked a Crysta GX AT.
I am expecting to get the car by this weekend if everything goes well.
Plan to install the following Toyota genuine accessories at the time of car delivery.

1. Mud flap & 3D Rubber mat
2. Reverse camera like VX (Will be installed near the number plate)
3. Fog lamp (not the LED one in VX)
4. Wooden Dashboard Panel

Guys what should I specially check at the PDI except the points in TBHP PDI list. I mean Crysta AT specific points.

Last edited by KALINGA : 5th February 2019 at 14:31.
KALINGA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 16:55   #1811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
After test drive of various cars (Hexa, XUV, JeeP Compass & Crysta), finally booked a Crysta GX AT.
I am expecting to get the car by this weekend if everything goes well.
Plan to install the following Toyota genuine accessories at the time of car delivery.

1. Mud flap & 3D Rubber mat
2. Reverse camera like VX (Will be installed near the number plate)
3. Fog lamp (not the LED one in VX)
4. Wooden Dashboard Panel

Guys what should I specially check at the PDI except the points in TBHP PDI list. I mean Crysta AT specific points.
Rubber Mat and Mud flap are factory fitment(Not sure of Mud flap). Please check the color and fitment of wooden panels. There is variation in color and sometimes they end up rattling if not fit well.
Old 5th February 2019, 17:13   #1812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
T she has this nausea feeling.
I currently get driven around in a Nissan Terrano, back in 2017 I got an option of upgrading my 2014 Terrano XE to a 2013 Low mileage XUV W8 (Company lease option). I had the car for around 4 months. I never experienced the same sense of comfort which I experienced in Terrano as a result I again exchanged cars and took back my Terrano.
BANDHAV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 22:26   #1813
BHPian

Hi everyone, I got my Innova crysta 2.8 gx 8 seater white colour delivered today evening.

Delivery of the vehicle is seamless, overall dealership experience is good. They explained the features of the vehicle in detail before leaving the premises.

One very important point I wish to mention here.

I test drove 2.8 z version and was very disappointed with the drive that day. I mentioned about the same in the earlier posts.

My residence is 40 kms from the dealership.

I drove the car from dealership to my residence.

There is no comparison between the test drive vehicle and my own vehicle.

I AM TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY BY THE POWER AND RESPONSIVENESS OF THE 2.8 ENGINE.

This is in total contrast with the opinion what I had after test drive. At one point I decided to change my booking to 2.4 v , just because of the assurance and confidence given by our members I haven't changed my booking.

So prospective buyers of 2.8 gx, engine is very responsive, test drive vehicle might not live up to your expectations especially if the test drive vehicle is old and abused.

You can definitely go for the vehicle with thumbs up.

Regards,
Dr.pavan
drpavan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2019, 17:46   #1814
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpavan View Post
I AM TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY BY THE POWER AND RESPONSIVENESS OF THE 2.8 ENGINE.

Being a fellow Crysta 2.8 owner, I totally concur with your statement. The power is just fantastic. However, the tyres are skinny and struggle to hold a corner at high speeds. So, if you are in the habit of driving fast, I suggest and upgrade to 225s which is what I plan to do in the next change.

Regarding the test drive vehicle, it is possible that the vehicle was in eco-mode for test drives and fuel saving and/or the air filter being clogged.

One thing that I must warn you is that the crysta suspension has been designed for comfort, so high speed and handling in corners/bends does have a fair amount of body roll, but for a highway cruiser, it checks all the boxes.
Old 7th February 2019, 00:54   #1815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Being a fellow Crysta 2.8 owner, I totally concur with your statement. The power is just fantastic. However, the tyres are skinny and struggle to hold a corner at high speeds. So, if you are in the habit of driving fast, I suggest and upgrade to 225s which is what I plan to do in the next change.

Regarding the test drive vehicle, it is possible that the vehicle was in eco-mode for test drives and fuel saving and/or the air filter being clogged.

One thing that I must warn you is that the crysta suspension has been designed for comfort, so high speed and handling in corners/bends does have a fair amount of body roll, but for a highway cruiser, it checks all the boxes.

Hi sir, happy to find that my observations on crysta are similar to you. Yes I too feel that tyres are skinny for the size and weight of the vehicle.

The sole reason for me to buy crysta is for my 10 months old son. My wife packs a lot of stuff and my parents stay with me, so i needed a huge vehicle to carry everyones stuff.

Yes I do drive fast, but it will be done in my cruze. In Crysta i intend not to cross 100 kmph.

Regarding the test drive vehicle, I was well aware of the different modes. I did test in each mode. Probably that's an abused test drive vehicle which I had driven.

My highway journeys used to be shared between cruze and duster, now it's totally transferred to Innova.

I am also the kind who believe " there is no replacement for displacement."

Regards
Dr.pavan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks