Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2017, 08:23   #1051
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
NGT ban is (hopefully) on new vehicle sales, and not on vehicles already sold. If they buy it now, they should keep the vehicle long enough.
I would also hope that it doesn't happen for old vehicles. But, we have taken some crazy decisions like.
  • Blanket ban on sun films to prevent rape
  • 80 kmph speed governor for all yellow boards.
  • Blanket Tax increase for hybrids because some companies misused the term - hybrid.
  • Last, but not the least, the 2000 cc diesel ban in Delhi

And none of these decisions made any sort of sense and were all knee jerk reaction instead of trying to address the real problem. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 14:15   #1052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Thanks, @Amalji.

NGT ban is (hopefully) on new vehicle sales, and not on vehicles already sold. If they buy it now, they should keep the vehicle long enough.

It hasnt slipped past me, but each person's preferences to his own.

Btw, we are on our 4th Tata, continuously since 2000. Except for a months' gap in 2013.
Crysta MT diesel should have the most FE and resale value.

The NGT ban on diesel vehicles in Delhi is for all vehicles: already sold or new ones. I guess if the NGT bans in other cities, it would be on similar lines.
Old 24th November 2017, 15:20   #1053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Crysta MT diesel should have the most FE and resale value.
People buy AT for the convenience it offers. More discussion on that here. In today's world, AT would be my pick for a vehicle like the Innova especially when it's for private use.
Old 24th November 2017, 15:59   #1054
Senior - BHPian

SPecifically for the Crysta, I hated the automatic. Had to change my style of driving way too much. This was confirmed over a long 150km drive in my friend's Z.

I currently have the Jazz automatic and have no such adaptation issues. So, it is definitely the car!

So, Crysta AT buyers, please do a long test drive before deciding.
Old 24th November 2017, 16:09   #1055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
SPecifically for the Crysta, I hated the automatic. Had to change my style of driving way too much.
Could you please elaborate on this? I tried driving the AT for reasonably long distance and felt it was fun. More than the gearbox, it was the torque spread of the engine that made the difference. In whichever rpm you are, just slightly push the accelerator and the Crysta cruises ahead. You don't really need a down shift at all for passing acceleration. And most of the driving, I was doing in eco mode because the torque availability is above par in most situations.

And the best thing is that it does have a manual shifting option as well on the automatic gearbox.

Last edited by amalji : 24th November 2017 at 16:26.
Old 25th November 2017, 10:15   #1056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Could you please elaborate on this?
Basically I found the lag between me doing something (pressing the accelerator) and the vehicle doing it (accelerating) too high. The drive became too jerky as a result.

On the return trip, I figured it out and was a lot smoother.

I drive /drove automatics in the US from 1991. So it is not unfamiliarity with automatics either.

I currently own a Jazz cvt - while it is not responsive, I have no issue with liking what it does.

My driver & wife (separate people!) concur with both observations.

I really wanted to buy the automatic but was put off by this.
Old 25th November 2017, 20:21   #1057
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Basically I found the lag between me doing something (pressing the accelerator) and the vehicle doing it (accelerating) too high. The drive became too jerky as a result.
It has to do with the change in fuel used in the cars owned by you and the Crysta.

The Diesel 2.8 L is definitely crude when compared to a Jazz Petrol. Similarly the CVT is going to be less jerky when compared to the 6-speed Torque converter.
Old 26th November 2017, 05:32   #1058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
It has to do with the change in fuel used in the cars owned by you and the Crysta.
Good thought but no cigar!

The Jazz is about a month old. I just sold my Duster - 85 BHP. The Crysta replaced a 10 year old Innova, which had done 2.5 lakh km.

So, I have had decent exposure to diesels.

I agree though that my feeling of absolute smoothness in the Jazz could be because I have returned to a petrol after 4 years.

I love the Crysta manual. It is the Pujara of cars - just does its job efficiently without any flashiness. The automatic, not much.

I realize I might be in a minority in this but, man, I do hate the Crysta auto!
Old 26th November 2017, 19:06   #1059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree though that my feeling of absolute smoothness in the Jazz could be because I have returned to a petrol after 4 years.
It's because of the CVT which continuously varies the ratios rather that shift to fixed ratios.

Quote:
I realize I might be in a minority in this but, man, I do hate the Crysta auto!
I've driven the 2.8 AT just once and loved the experience. As I mentioned before, almost 90% of the drive I used the eco mode, because the torque was more than what was required at any rpm. The eco mode might have prevented aggressive downshifts as well. This engine rarely requires downshift because the peak torque is just 400 rpm away from idle rpm compared to competition where it's >800 rpms away. And the big engine small turbo design ensures that there is zero lag for that turbo to start spitting venom!
Old 26th November 2017, 19:22   #1060
BANNED

Since we're talking about the auto, I have to chime in and say I also do not like the crysta AT. It is a bit too laggy, and the Jazz AT with paddles feels better as a transmission than the crysta.
One of the major downsides of the innova AT is the lunging forward nature of the car when you release the brake pedal vs the Jazz or polo or ameo I have that do it in a much smoother manner.
In the end, if it absolutely has to be the Innova, I would still buy the AT. MT is just too much hassle.
Old 27th November 2017, 12:14   #1061
Senior - BHPian

It makes a lot of sense to buy A/T Innova you plan to spend/drive a lot in maddening city traffic. But if you are buying Innova for Highway drive, M/T makes more sense. It feels more peppy, engaging and frugal.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 13:26   #1062
BHPian

My two cents on our 4 month old 2.8Z.

As the engine is opening up after doing more than 3000kms, the NVH is settling down . While the A/T is a boon in DELHI-NCR's start stop traffic, it has been a very comforting and tireless highway runs too as compared to previous generation Innova and XUV 500 that we have owned and do own respectively.
As for the mileages: CITY: 10-10.5km/L (WITH AC ON, HIGH TRAFFIC)
HIGHWAY: 15.0-15.2km/L (With AC ON, PLAINS)
HILLS : 11.0-11.2 km/L (Uphill, Partial AC ON)

The highway mileage figures are better than the previous generation Innova M/T and much more comofortable both for the driver and passenger.
Overall, a big thumbs Up.!
RickyC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 23:07   #1063

Perfectly happy with audio install of AVHX-8890BT
love all the options and features.

And yes a Top Shot
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_8200.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_8203.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_8204.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_8604.png  

Old 30th November 2017, 09:38   #1064
Senior - BHPian

Thats a nice headunit I have the same in mine which I installed myself. To get rid of the parking brake connection requirement and the extra wire apart from what goes into the PnP coupler I used a parking brake bypass module which i bought from amazon.com.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 10:52   #1065
BHPian

Has anyone tried raising the height of the LED low beam projectors on the ZX model yet?
I find them to be quite low for highway driving, and staying in high beam all the time comes with moral conflict.
I found two screw like adjusters behind the low beams on both the headlamps, but couldn't get them to move either way, thus the query.
Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks