Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2017, 19:22   #211

Re: Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review

Need guidance from the veterans in this group on what after-market changes one can do to the following
1. Up size on wheel: OEM size is 215/65-R16.. small for the visual appeal.. what is the max RIM size and width one can go up to
- without needing the change to the suspension or
- having an impact on life of tyre
- major impact on fuel millage (the width issue)
- stability at high speeds (120kmph on highways)

1.1 can we get the speedo re-calibrated once we upsize?
- if yes how
- if no how to handle the different it will cause to the readings of speed and millage

2. should we go for dealer sold bed linner.. or buy aftermarket product (price differential is min 50%)

3. Audio system . can we use the Kenwood DDX917ws in Isuzu

4. what front and rear camera should be go for

5. does a 360 view camera system really help? if yes which one

thanks in advance
Old 14th May 2017, 23:18   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtwinks View Post
Need guidance from the veterans in this group on what after-market changes one can do to the following
=========
thanks in advance
I am definitely not a veteran as per as Vcross is concerned, still few pointers.
1. My personal advice is not to upsize on the rims. Since you specifically mentioned visual appeal as the purpose, let me just say, whatever upsize you do (without ruining the truck), the tyres will still look small visually given the size of the truck!
2. Dealer sold bedliner is nothing exemplary in quality. So getting from aftermarket is not a bad option. In fact its better not to take any accessory at all from the dealer.
3. Don't know about Kenwood, but mostly have seen pioneer / Sony systems in few of the Vcrosses around.
4. Rear cameras are mostly unbranded to my limited knowledge. For front camera, if you are referring to dash cams, there are some good products from transcend and few other companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raja_ys View Post
First of all looking out from a Fortuner to a Vross is big big downgrade, you will be much dissapointed on Vcross compared to the Fortuner. Vcross is typically a Pick Up truck while Fortuner is a full fledged SUV.
Sorry to disagree but is there some quantifiable parameter for 'big big' downgrade? Agreed the rear has leaf-spring set up, the seats are bit upright, so 2nd row comfort is probably not that good. Other than that is there something substantially inferior to be termed as downgrade at 50% of the price (or less)? If you talk about pick-up truck vs SUV image, well so far my personal opinion is the former is more appealing , particularly when it doesn't resemble any other 'normal' pick-ups in the market; it may be subjective though. Yesterday while passing by a convoy of NSG commandos, observed that each and every one of them was looking at the Vcross, even though there were at least 7-8 fortuners passed by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhiram7912 View Post
Yes the V cross will be a downgrade compared to fortuner, but for some reason i really like it. Its a really unique vehicle and will be perfect for me (as i don't have a family). I am considering the MU-X as well, just waiting for the test drive vehicle to be available. Another reason i am considering Isuzu is i don't have to pay road tax in Andhra Pradesh. I can put the savings towards mods i planned.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 30th May 2017 at 21:58. Reason: Not your but problem but merging because it's back to back only.
Kandisa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 12:42   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Sorry to disagree but is there some quantifiable parameter for 'big big' downgrade? Agreed the rear has leaf-spring set up, the seats are bit upright, so 2nd row comfort is probably not that good. Other than that is there something substantially inferior to be termed as downgrade at 50% of the price (or less)? If you talk about pick-up truck vs SUV image, well so far my personal opinion is the former is more appealing , particularly when it doesn't resemble any other 'normal' pick-ups in the market; it may be subjective though.
I think its only a downgrade in terms of cost (in the sense, people will think i am out of my mind for getting a cheaper vehicle), A.S.S and resale (cant beat toyota in these areas). But i am not that worried about these. Other than that, from my test drive i found both V cross and fortuner to be quite similar IMHO. I preferred the ride of V cross to fortuner. The only fly in the ointment for me about the V cross is i am not sure about the gearbox and i cannot fit in it with out my legs hitting the steering wheel.

I am still thinking about how i can modify the seat or put in a aftermarket seat, if i can get that done, i could live with the gearbox. Everything else about the v cross is perfect for me.
Old 15th May 2017, 13:09   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think its only a downgrade in terms of cost (in the sense, people will think i am out of my mind for getting a cheaper vehicle), A.S.S and resale (cant beat toyota in these areas).
Agreed.

Quote:
Other than that, from my test drive i found both V cross and fortuner to be quite similar IMHO. I preferred the ride of V cross to fortuner.
Good to know that. Heard about the same opinion from few other people as well.

Quote:
The only fly in the ointment for me about the V cross is i am not sure about the gearbox and i cannot fit in it with out my legs hitting the steering wheel.
On the gearbox part, yes the feel is bit different. Particularly the 2nd to 3rd,4th to 5th & reverse take slightly more effort than conventional ones. However one will get used to it. The issues of legs hitting the wheel is a more significant problem as you have rightly mentioned. You really need a good tinker to find out a convenient seat mounting position. The recaro/ similar look-alike (used in rally gypsies) could be given a thought, though those won't be very comfortable for sure.
Old 15th May 2017, 18:08   #215
BHPian

Quote:
The only fly in the ointment for me about the V cross is i am not sure about the gearbox and i cannot fit in it with out my legs hitting the steering wheel.

I am still thinking about how i can modify the seat or put in a aftermarket seat, if i can get that done, i could live with the gearbox. Everything else about the v cross is perfect for me.
Hi,

I,m 5.11" and when i did the test drive i was very disappointed with the seats and almost scrapped the idea of the vcross, i felt the seats very upright and had a awkward feel to it just like i was being pushed up and would slide down during breaking. On asking the sales adviser i was told that the seats can be adjusted i stopped the car and used the rotary knob on the side and dropped it to the lowest position and then i felt the change and was very comfortable to drive.

Im currently using the same setting on my v cross and am very happy. Try it may be it works for you.

Thanks,

David.
Old 15th May 2017, 20:54   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids4x4mm550 View Post
Hi,

I,m 5.11" and when i did the test drive i was very disappointed with the seats and almost scrapped the idea of the vcross, i felt the seats very upright and had a awkward feel to it just like i was being pushed up and would slide down during breaking. On asking the sales adviser i was told that the seats can be adjusted i stopped the car and used the rotary knob on the side and dropped it to the lowest position and then i felt the change and was very comfortable to drive.

Im currently using the same setting on my v cross and am very happy. Try it may be it works for you.

Thanks,

David.
Tried that already, pushed seat all the way back, lowered all the way down and reclined to a comfortable position. It still happens.

The only option i have is mounting the seats directly to the floor, removing the seat rails and stuff. Now i will be the only one driving majority of the time, but with seat being all the way back and bolted to floor, no one else (atleast a majority) would not be able to reach pedals or see over the dashboard such as valet drivers.
Old 19th May 2017, 13:20   #217
BHPian

Quote:
1. Up size on wheel: OEM size is 215/65-R16.. small for the visual appeal.. what is the max RIM size and width one can go up to
- without needing the change to the suspension or
- having an impact on life of tyre
- major impact on fuel millage (the width issue)
- stability at high speeds (120kmph on highways)
1st - the OEM size is not 215/65/16. Not sure where you got that from OEM tyres are 245/79/R16

From what I am aware you can go up to 275/70/16 without fouling anywhere lock to lock. 265 might be a safer number to go up to though. Personally - I have downgraded my tyres to 255/65/16 simply due to availability of tyres in the market. This size was just readily available with everyone.

Quote:
1.1 can we get the speedo re-calibrated once we upsize?
- if yes how
- if no how to handle the different it will cause to the readings of speed and millage
I have heard that the service centre can actually update the settings for you so that you get 100% accuracy at the new size - but in general they are best used to do whatever they have been trained to do by Isuzu for regular maintenance... anything above and beyond that will make them panic. Lack of experience dealing with people who are not commercial customers I suppose...

Quote:
2. should we go for dealer sold bed linner.. or buy aftermarket product (price differential is min 50%)
Can't give 1st hand advice here as I never even tried to see the aftermarket bedliner, but the 25k you spend gets you superb quality. All the imported accessories from Isuzu (Bedliner, Sports Bar, Side Step and D-Box) seem built to last while aftermarket ones are somewhat flimsy.

Quote:
3. Audio system . can we use the Kenwood DDX917ws in Isuzu
No clue - there is no reason why that shouldn't work though right? Is there some specific problem you are anticipating? The truck ships from the factory without the entertainment system anyway - any 2DIN system should fit.

Quote:
4. what front and rear camera should be go for
Front camera is not specific to this truck so I would recommend reading the reviews for dash cams here on T-BHP and picking whatever works for you. Chances are the dealer won't have what you want anyway.

For rear cam - the dealer threw in a cheap chinese thing worth probably 700 - 1000 along with the entertainment system that I got from him. Does the job. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone - but it is good enough that I am not thinking of replacing it till someone rear ends me and smashes that to bits.

Quote:
5. does a 360 view camera system really help? if yes which one
thanks in advance
I think you are talking about the two camera dash cam setups that record 180 degrees each and save a 360 degree view? Probably worth it if you are worried that someone might hit you from behind? Not sure. Best suggestion would be again to see Dashcam reviews in other threads here.
TwistedFaith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 14:03   #218
BHPian

SUV's post GST could be cheaper by 6-9%, so it wise for those planning to buy these cars hold till July and will Isuzu pass this benefit on to the customer?
Old 22nd May 2017, 18:49   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Tried that already, pushed seat all the way back, lowered all the way down and reclined to a comfortable position. It still happens.

The only option i have is mounting the seats directly to the floor, removing the seat rails and stuff. Now i will be the only one driving majority of the time, but with seat being all the way back and bolted to floor, no one else (atleast a majority) would not be able to reach pedals or see over the dashboard such as valet drivers.

I think its got to do with the stock seat fabric. I'm 6' and drive quite comfortably with the seat pushed back and lowered. Difference could be that i had Autoform seat covers installed on the seat, so there's no slipping or sliding.
Old 26th May 2017, 07:12   #220
Senior - BHPian

For those on a tight budget and looking for a vehicle more for off-roading and no so much as a lifestyle vehicle is the D-Max Regular Cab a better option? There is the S-Cab which looks almost like the V Cross but does not have the 4x4 option.
Attached Thumbnails
Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review-isuzu-4x4.jpg  

Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review-isuzu-4x4-specs.jpg  

pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 08:29   #221
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
here is the S-Cab which looks almost like the V Cross but does not have the 4x4 option.
The Model is named as D-Max High Ride as per the brochure you posted and does have a 4x4 variant. The problem will be commercial registration plates and speed governor from the factory, so you cannot go beyond 80 Km/hr. Nevertheless can be a good option for some guys.

Any ideas about prices?

Last edited by Turbanator : 26th May 2017 at 08:36.
Old 26th May 2017, 09:49   #222
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
The problem will be commercial registration plates and speed governor from the factory, so you cannot go beyond 80 Km/hr.
Speed Governors can be disabled even if they are inbuilt into the ECU (which most are not) pretty easily. All cabbies do it.

Commercial plates too can be managed by registering it at a smaller RTO and some "facilitation".

My concern would be general fit and finish and the reasonably extensive modifications it would need to convert it to a 4/5 seater and the associated costs. I'd rather pick up a pre owned V-Cross.
Old 26th May 2017, 09:59   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Model is named as D-Max High Ride as per the brochure you posted and does have a 4x4 variant. The problem will be commercial registration plates and speed governor from the factory, so you cannot go beyond 80 Km/hr. Nevertheless can be a good option for some guys.

Any ideas about prices?
I have posted the pic of the D-Max regular cab which is available in 4x4. The S-Cab is this one and only in 4x2.
Attached Thumbnails
Isuzu D-Max V-Cross : Official Review-scab.jpg  

Old 26th May 2017, 14:24   #224

Mod note: Post EDITED, please use proper punctuation. Helps improve the readability. Also please use Multi Quote [Quote +] or edit the original post. Thanks.

Quote:

Thanks,

David.
David, I am 6'3.5'' I found the Vcross seats quite comfortable. Yes a better cushion will be great and a must aftermarket buy...

The gap around the seat (doors gears, steering wheel et al) was acceptable.

I did not have to push back the seat to extreme end as that was giving stress to my shoulders while driving for some distance (I tried 3 times and 1 of the time i drove in busy bannergata, jayanagar, jp nagar traffic on a saturday noon for 2 hrs time -- by design) yes a telescopic steering would have been great.

My suggestion is to check some other vehicle piece, it could be an issue with that particular test vehicle.

cheers

Can some one guide me who is the manufacture of these accessories for vcross? there is no name of contact detail on the catalog uploaded on this forum

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...73f8cUuXS9NMmw
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ISUZU-VCROSS-Product-Brochure.pdf (4.13 MB, 505 views)

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th May 2017 at 14:33.
Old 26th May 2017, 17:00   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
The Model is named as D-Max High Ride as per the brochure you posted and does have a 4x4 variant.
The 4x4 version is also 135 bhp same specs as the V-Cross. The 2WD is 78 bhp.

Quote:
The problem will be commercial registration plates
In the South you cannot get white board, only yellow/commercial board.

Quote:
Speed governor from the factory, so you cannot go beyond 80 Km/hr.
It is ECM locked, but I was told by a little birdie that someone has cracked it and can be removed.

Quote:
Any ideas about prices?
9.4 lakhs on the road in Tamil Nadu.

The rear leafs are 5 leafs instead of the 3 leafs for the V-Cross. So it is bumpy at the rear. The driveability is pretty good as I test drove it for almost 30 kms.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed