Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2017, 14:42   #2821
BHPian

Re: Tata Hexa : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingCynical View Post

Can I safely say that this vehicle from Tata has bombed in the Box Office? If so, what could be the reason/s?

Any insight?
Tata Hexa is a hit!

The perspective is, the Hexa is built over commercially failed attempt of a very capable vehicle, Tata Aria. Just think that Aria is selling in 1000+ number after some (major) facelift.

Usually the major (capital) expenditure is done on the development of the underpinning, and Tata has improved recovering the cost by investing a little more (in comparison to original cost of development of Aria platform).

So, in its own way the Hexa is a successful vehicle if it sells around 1000 per month. Don't compare this with Crysta or XUV500 or expect it to ever beat their sales numbers and then by that numbers (not by observation) questioning Hexa's success. Again, Hexa is a HIT!
kbishwa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 14:52   #2822
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ashish, being an owner of a Hexa, has his own point of view while judging Hexa's success but that may not be the fact on the ground.
I own an humble Maruti only. And I am in no way associated to any Tata group of companies

I love the Hexa for the vehicle it is and nothing else.
I like the Creta and Crysta too if someone asks me to ignore their respective prices or gives me a few lakhs discount on them. But then that is my perception.
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 15:11   #2823
BHPian

Quote:
Thumb Rule To Plot Car Sales - the car sale of a particular model must see an upward trend for first five months at a stretch. After the initial euphoria dies down, if the model still shows an upward spike for next four months then it speaks volumes of the success. In case of Hexa, it was exactly opposite. I rather saw a nose dive in sales figure after January.

Sigh!!
Again, don't know where the thumb rule came from, but it cannot be applied in this case. Why? Sales of EVERY car fell drastically between June and July due to GST. People preferred waiting for prices to drop before buying and those two months saw a visible fall in sales.

Your rule of thumb applies only to a particular car and doesn't even consider external factors. Hence, your 'thumb rule' is not applicable in this case.
Notice the sales figures for july-august. More than 100% increase in sales speaks for itself.

Last edited by abhi7013 : 30th August 2017 at 15:12.
Old 30th August 2017, 15:13   #2824
BHPian

I can speak for myself. This is the third car I am going to buy based on reviews on team bhp and not on the actual sales figures. That's probably the last thing that will influence my decision. The first car that I owned was Tata Vista quadrajet (over swift vdi). Did 87000Km, and sold because I upgraded to Rapid TDI (1.49 lac km) . This rapid I am planning to retain alongwith the hexa. Retrospectively there have been niggles and problems once in a while but I have been overall happy because I liked the feel of both the cars when I sat in them. ASS and support are problems that can come with best of products so I am mentally prepared for that everytime I gamble with a new/ not so popular product.
travelex is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 15:31   #2825
BHPian

Quote:
This is purely based on my observations, that too visual observation.

It is been close to 8 months that this vehicle was launched and I still don't see any/much of them running on the roads; not at least one that expected of a, even moderately successful vehicle/model. I could remember barely seeing this car 3-4 times on the road in last eight months.

For instance, in Pune, I have seen it only once while the rest three times it was Mumbai. Same is the case in Banglore. People (my friends) don't see it on the road there either.

Can I safely say that this vehicle from Tata has bombed in the Box Office? If so, what could be the reason/s?

No doubt Tatas had a good product, knowing their history, in comparative terms. The look, though much like an Aria, it still wasn't that distasteful. Price was little on the higher side looking at the competition/competitor in this segment and the historical bogie that Tata always carried along. I am still OK with someone paying 19 Lk (ex-showroom) for a Hexa top-end. So why this car flopped so badly?

Any insight?

It seems that, you are looking in the wrong part/location of a city for instance, in Pune. There are many Hexa's which can be seen on road. It may be that you are looking at the wrong time and at the wrong place.
kabir3551 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 15:47   #2826
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
However, on a lighter note, given your TBHP handle, i don't have to think much as to how you see it!
On a lighter note, this made me fall on the floor like add to that BeingCynical's Profile Picture.

Moving on, what differentiates Hexa from the others is -

1) Innova - Has that Image of peoples mover and being chauffeured in rather than being driven, Hexa on the flip side, is something that most of the owners would drive, drive, drive and love it for that. When you look up at the Hexa it feels that you want to get on with it, rather than sit in it from point A to B.

2) For the price at which Hexa is being offered, there is nothing that comes close to it in terms of Ride & Space, for me the single most important factor in picking up the Hexa was, the feel and just feel of this beast, the HPS, the planted feel and that sense of roominess around it. Heck there are people picking up the Dzire for a million bucks and less spoken about the Ignis, the better it is.

3) Endy/Fort - From the price point alone, they are in a different league, no point discussion them in a comparo here, I had posted the Dimension numbers some time back.

I am not the one who would suggest anyone what to buy and what not to, but for all the ones sitting on the fence, feel the Hexa for once and decide subsequently.
Torquedo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 15:53   #2827
BHPian

So much for the Hexa niggles & ASS being a hit or miss. I placed my money where the mouth is & went ahead and booked the XTA (my first automatic in India) in Arizona Blue. Expect delivery in first week of Sep17.

Had been looking for an SUV for sometime and the choice were largely between Xuv500, Hexa, Compass (within budget), Fortuner (stretched Budget) and possibly the Creta. Will be my primary daily drive from home to the industrial area here around 10kms one way over some excellent 4 lane highway & 2 kms bad stretch. Need the vehicle with a road-presence given the traffic and cow belt mentality.

After multiple rounds of test ride of the XUV, Hexa and Fortuner went ahead and booked the Hexa XTA for the fantastic value it offer for the price point.
In Summary following were my thought process for arriving to this choice
1. Toyota Fortuner MT 2WD at Rs.28L, while an excellent product does not offer excellent value. Hope the big T notices and does something about it, if more people reject it on the price/value proposition
2. XUV 500 - fantastic proposition, nearly went for the W10- has all that you will need, but the suspension at low speed, hard seats and complete lack of boot space made it loose out.
3. Hexa XT - no place to keep your left foot, cramped foot-well. Could never find a comfortable position during the entire test drive.
4. Hexa XTA - Carpet ride quality (remember I am in the cow belt), problems of XT footwell not present swung the deal. The lack of ESP, TC though are a problem in the back of my mind.
5. Creta - Did not pursue further after my CA also got one. Seems too common now, specially the white color which I had liked.

The booking experience has been so so till now, I am prepared for the average ASS, keeping my fingers crossed.

The break up is as follows
1. Ex-ShowRoom - Rs. 16.24L
2. Insurance from dealer (0 dep, New India) - Rs. 0.55L - inital quote Rs.0.78L
3. Extended 4 & 5th Year warranty - Rs. 16,224
4. Anti Rust - Rs. 2,300
5. Accessories (Sidestep, Rain Visor, Bumper protector rubber)- Rs. 22,000
6. Corporate Discount Rs. -5000

Registration, would do from my regular lawyer as I want a choice number.
Other accessories - will order the Viofo 119 dashcam from Aliexpress/Gearbest shortly.

Welcome suggestion in case of anything else I should think of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
And in price term the Hexa brings much much more value than the Compass, with peace of mind of having an after sales support just about next door!
Could not agree more with you here. Hexa does offer a solid value for money

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohansd View Post
Quick update:
Got a call from the sales rep that the vehicle is in transit and is expected to land in the stock yard by tomorrow. He has shared the VIN and I decoded it to check that is a August manufactured vehicle. I have told him that I will do a PDI before making the payment.
Got my VIN too, have paid part of the money (25%), rest to follow post PDI.
Hopefully will be able to find time to do it before taking delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK RE Lover View Post
Congratulations. I booked XTA Arizona Blue today. Got a guarantee on price protection too. I'm told 10-15 days for delivery and that Blue XTA is available at TML plant. Let's keep sharing notes 😄
Correct, I got a price protection guarantee too.
goswami.j is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 16:10   #2828
BHPian

All, This is for my friend who is planning to buy the Tata Hexa from Thrisur KL Hyson Motors. He booked the vehicle on Aug 6th and dealer contacted that vehicle is available on stock, when checking VIN, its June manufactured vehicle. Will it be true that in-transit will take this much time. Dealer mentioned that vehicle in stock on Aug 15th. Just to check whether its ok to go with June manufactured vehicle, will it be true that he got the stock only on Aug 15th or so.
Color opted is Sky Grey with 7 seater config XTA. Little dilemma on whether go with 6 or 7 seater. Thank you for your help.
Old 30th August 2017, 16:53   #2829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace69 View Post
All, This is for my friend who is planning to buy the Tata Hexa from Thrisur KL Hyson Motors. He booked the vehicle on Aug 6th and dealer contacted that vehicle is available on stock, when checking VIN, its June manufactured vehicle. Will it be true that in-transit will take this much time. Dealer mentioned that vehicle in stock on Aug 15th. Just to check whether its ok to go with June manufactured vehicle, will it be true that he got the stock only on Aug 15th or so.
Color opted is Sky Grey with 7 seater config XTA. Little dilemma on whether go with 6 or 7 seater. Thank you for your help.
6 and 7 seaters option depends on the usage patterns, June manufactured is perfectly ok as lot of people did not buy in june so mostly selling now. I choose 7 seater as on long trip when ever I have 5 people on board I still have enough space for luggage by folding only rear seat and even it can accommodate 2 adults a 2 kids in middle seat.
Old 30th August 2017, 18:08   #2830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace69 View Post
IIRC Sky Grey is slow moving colour and hence manufactured only in certain batches. Once in two months or so.
Old 30th August 2017, 18:53   #2831
BHPian

One query for Automatic owners; Does the Hexa steering cause any kind of wobbling at triple digit speeds (120 kmph and above). Abhi7013 has an XT and he did observe this behavior in his manual variant. Please shed some light.
Old 30th August 2017, 19:19   #2832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satshan View Post
One query for Automatic owners; Does the Hexa steering cause any kind of wobbling at triple digit speeds . Abhi7013 has an XT and he did observe this behavior in his manual variant. Please shed some light.
There is no issue of wobbling in any speed, just get wheel alignment and balancing done at service center. I had same issue cropped in beginning but after balancing and alignment car runs stable at any speed. I own a XTA
Anuruddhs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 20:29   #2833
BHPian

Did anyone opt for TUFF edition? It seems go well with Sky Grey color. Also any one opt for Tan color seat cover as accessory. Also anyone opt for 19" mono grey wheel. Sorry for asking too many questions, before deciding to go with Hexa, need to sort out few.
Old 30th August 2017, 20:40   #2834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuruddhs View Post
There is no issue of wobbling in any speed, just get wheel alignment and balancing done at service center. I had same issue cropped in beginning but after balancing and alignment car runs stable at any speed. I own a XTA
That's a relief! Waiting for my TPMS to arrive for balancing and alignment.
Old 30th August 2017, 20:43   #2835
BANNED

Colleague of mine took delivery of Hexa today from Patparganj Concorde in evening .The car overheated within 2kms .His home is close by . It had been very difficult to convince to buy Hexa over Innova .We called sales advisor and he said to take to service station .How can we take a car which overheats .We are thinking how much this car has been idled , driven before delivery and damage on engine because of that .Very difficult to put the feeling of regret .

Most Viewed